• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Portal 2 |OT| Sleep. Spuds. Science.

Magnus

Loving the game so far. Wheatley's grown on me.

Chapter
5...or 6 now? Not sure. I'm into the Repulsion Gel tests
and am totally stumped. :( I mean, I think I understand my goal, but haven't figured out how to use my environment to execute my plan...yet.

The load times between areas are brutal. Yeah yeah, Valve are kings of presentation, but man, that knocks some marks off as far as I'm concerned. Couldn't there have been an option to install the game and do away with those, or at least lessen them? There's nothing that completely breaks a high-speed/escape/pursuit sequence more than a jarring 5-10 second load in the middle.

Anyone else notice that you can affect the soundtrack during these tests, ever so slightly?

Bouncing off the repulsion gel triggers a trill in the soundtrack.

Oh!

Just realized jumping through a portal has its own soundtrack modifier too! Haha

Love it.

ckohler

Agreed. My one and only complaint was the number of pauses to load. If Valve could get the Source engine to stream upcoming areas in the background this game would be completely without fault.

As for the dynamic music, if you listen closely the Companion Cube kinda sings along softly in tones.

Oh yeah, the load times early on were pretty bad, especially since some of the rooms could be solved very quickly. There was also an extremely poorly placed one, during an exciting sequence, that completely broke the immersion. It became less of a problem in the last few chapters when the puzzles took a bit longer to solve.

RedSwirl

Didn't really notice how much they improved Chell's model in this game:

1zn928j.jpg

Ozone

droopy said:
You can, but you don't have to. The trick for a lot few of them is
turrets will target the screens if you let them.
You can also use
the lasers beams if you redirect them toward the screen.

Magnus

Fuck, I need a hint. I have no idea how to do this test, lol.

General Area:
Repulsion Gel tests, probably the 3rd or 4th

Specifically:
Massive gap to cross, goal area clearly marked EXIT in huge letters. I've hit the lever in the upstairs chamber to start unleashing gel through the ceiling tube, and have realized that I can use that to portal the gel to the areas far below where I started out. I've also realized I need to create a massive freefall so that I can portal off the diagonal ramped wall at the very top of the upper chamber and fly to the EXIT area, but the dispersion field right in front of the ramped wall means I can only place my exit portal there while in that uppermost area.

I hope that description was specific enough, lol. Basically, I'm sure I need to create a huge-ass freefall, just have no idea where to do it, and only a vague idea how.

Magnus said:

General Area:

Specifically:
Massive gap to cross, goal area clearly marked EXIT in huge letters. I've hit the lever in the upstairs chamber to start unleashing gel through the ceiling tube, and have realized that I can use that to portal the gel to the areas far below where I started out. I've also realized I need to create a massive freefall so that I can portal off the diagonal ramped wall at the very top of the upper chamber and fly to the EXIT area, but the dispersion field right in front of the ramped wall means I can only place my exit portal there while in that uppermost area.

I hope that description was specific enough, lol. Basically, I'm sure I need to create a huge-ass freefall, just have no idea where to do it, and only a vague idea how.

Hm, I can't specifically remember that test. But the mindset of "all of these puzzles are solved by just putting a puzzle somewhere" always helped me. Really simplifies it, when you realize that there's just a portal that you need to put somewhere to solve it. :)

big ander

Magnus said:

General Area:

Specifically:

Hmm, if only you could get some gel onto the exit area to extend your launch... ;)

Magnus

big ander said:
Hmm, if only you could get some gel onto the exit area to extend your launch... ;)

Brilliant! Feel like an idiot for not having thought of that....but man. I already can tell I have no idea how to get that there. Hahahaha. At least I have a better idea of the goal now. Thanks man.

Edit- Fuck me. Got it. I can't believe I honestly didn't position the portals that way by accident yet, haha. I bet people are stumbling on this one by accident.

Bout time I got stumped though. Game was way too easy so far, and I was pretty terrible at Portal 1, lol.

TheFreshPrince

Loving the game!

In the middle of Ch6, and it's only been about 4 hours. How much more do I have to go? I was hoping for 9-10 hours....but I can't imagine Ch6-->end is gonna take another 5 hours...

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Just played four hours of Portal 2 co-op with a complete random

Easily some of the most fun I've had playing a game online. Neither of us had mics, which I think definitely added to the experience. We really relied on the robots' gestures and other expressive behavior to communicate with one another, which ended up being a lot of fun. So yeah, this dude and I beasted our way through every challenge, stopping at the
fifth
chamber. He's now on my friend's list because he kicks ass.

Just completed this. Not read any of the thread as I didn't want even remote spoilers, but my God what an amazing, funny, chilling, absorbing game.

The drop into the past laboratories and the advance through the eras
were a masterstroke of storytelling,
showing Aperture's and Johnson's extraordinary, tragic decline.

Valve are the grandmasters of implicit video game storytelling. Once again, I believe they are the best in the industry.

Co op will be played, but I have to wait for friends to complete the game first.

I'm still digesting the game, but I think it did the impossible, and actually lived up to the hype.

JAGII

Neo Member
Magnus said:
Brilliant! Feel like an idiot for not having thought of that

That's been the story of my play-through so far (I'm mid-way through Chapter 7). I think I've said "Duh" out-loud 9-10 times.

Masiive endgame spoilers here

Argggh! What the hell? I'm
fighting Wheatley, and I can't see his damn bombs. They either aren't firing out, or they just appear instantaneously when I'm walking near him and magically kill me. It's making completing this game impossible. I know I'm supposed to launch them back at him, but I can literally stand in front of him and wait till the countdown to end before he even fires one at me. Is this some sort of glitch on the PS3? How am I supposed to beat him if I can't see these bombs?

Okay, I've officially hit a wall and need a little help

What the hell is the deal with Test Chamber 19 in Chap. 4? I can use one of the cubes to hit the 1st laser checkpoint. After that, I'm at a dead end. I can't portal my way to the 1st checkpoint to place another cube down. And the spring can't seem to launch me close enough to land near the damn thing. Any hints?

Jintor

Try using the spring to get some air first.

Use the spring to fling yourself straight upwards, and use that momentum to fling yourself to the first checkpoint.

And send the box through first.

Articalys

lazybones18 said:
Okay, I've officially hit a wall and need a little help

What the hell is the deal with Test Chamber 19 in Chap. 4? I can use one of the cubes to hit the 1st laser checkpoint. After that, I'm at a dead end. I can't portal my way to the 1st checkpoint to place another cube down. And the spring can't seem to launch me close enough to land near the damn thing. Any hints?
You may need to start switching portal locations mid-fling.

Articalys said:
You may need to start switching portal locations mid-fling.

okay, got the door finally open. and the four turrets? cause I know walking to just one of them will get me put down

EDIT: Nevermind

Ugh

I'm playing on my laptop and twice my computer has just completely shut off mid-game =/ It doesn't feel too hot and Starcraft 2 never caused it to do this before.........

I'm using a cooling pad too........

Should I keep trying with lower video settings or could there be another problem? Can I turn this "off"?

BigJonsson said:
Ugh

I'm playing on my laptop and twice my computer has just completely shut off mid-game =/ It doesn't feel too hot and Starcraft 2 never caused it to do this before.........

I'm using a cooling pad too........

Should I keep trying with lower video settings or could there be another problem? Can I turn this "off"?

Not sure, but I've had issues occasionally where my MBP will start to overheat and it shuts itself off for at least a little bit. This has happened to me while playing Mass Effect 2 most recently, but it never happened for me in Portal 2.

It doesn't seem to happen as often when using an external monitor. Lowering video setting should help though.

Cyrillus

So I finished the Single-Player game yesterday morning, and played through the co-op with a buddy yesterday evening/night. The funny thing I found after beating the single player campaign was that I was more drawn in by the atmosphere/story than by the gameplay. The Wheatley character was a hilariously welcome addition to the cast, and the back and forth between Wheatley and GlaDOS was awesome.

As for the co-op levels, I found that campaign to be much more challenging and fun, and was more reminiscent of the atmosphere of Portal 1, focusing on the puzzles than the story. Such great fun, I hope they release more levels (or an editor!).

Also,
Why can GlaDOS discuss her plan to destroy Wheatley with you and not have him overhear it, but in the next sentence she can insult him and he responds?

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Also,
Why can GlaDOS discuss her plan to destroy Wheatley with you and not have him overhear it, but in the next sentence she can insult him and he responds?
Wheatly is an idiot?

BeeDog

Does anyone know how the PS3-Steam integration works in regards to the trophies/cheevos? Since PSN is down, I haven't touched the single-player for fear that when I unlock trophies, the corresponding cheevos won't be unlocked on Steam when PSN goes back up and I sync. Is that so, or will Steam intelligently take that into account and unlock the achievements properly when the network comes back up?

Ok, lowering the video settings seems to have made my system more stable..........what an amazing well thought out game so far, I am impressed

Cyrillus

Drkirby said:
Wheatly is an idiot?

True enough! :)

I haven't had a game make me feel this dumb in a while either: Spending 10 minutes scratching your head on a puzzle, only to figure it out and think to yourself "wow I can't believe I didn't see that earlier!"

Wikzo

Sorry if this have been asked before, but need to clarify a few things about the Steam deal for the PS3 version:

1. When you link your PSN ID to a Steam account, are you able to play simultaneously on the PS3 and PC/Mac in co-op mode with the same profile? Like if I let my brother borrow my Steam account, while I'm playing on the PS3?

2. Is there any limit on how many times you can link a PSN ID to a Steam account? E.g. if I have two PSN IDs and two Steam accounts, can I get the game free on two PCs/Macs? Or is there only one "license" per purchased PS3 copies of Portal 2?

Medalion

Banned
Okie dokie, according to
Wheatley, I have 3 more test chambers before a big "surprise"... I am at a chamber with 3 turrents , anti-gravity beam, and repulsion gel... gonna call it a night with this one and come back later to finish it off.

Medalion said:
Okie dokie, according to
Wheatley, I have 3 more test chambers before a big "surprise"... I am at a chamber with 3 turrents , anti-gravity beam, and repulsion gel... gonna call it a night with this one and come back later to finish it off.
Good idea you stopped now rather than later. That's all I'll say.

I've now played this game 4 times. I can't seem to stop myself, I think i'm addicted.

My last play through took me just under 2 hours, so the game can be done pretty quick if you know how to do everything, don't try for achievements and you don't stop for any of the dialogue. I was trying my hardest to do it as fast as possible though; it will be interesting to see what kind of times speedrunners do.

I just need my friend to buy and complete single player so I can get stuck in to co-op.

big_z

Medalion said:
Okie dokie, according to

this level had me scratching my head for a little bit. one of the harder ones i though although it's really simple once you figure it.

StuBurns

Banned
big_z said:
this level had me scratching my head for a little bit. one of the harder ones i though although it's really simple once you figure it.
From what I've read, lots of people get stuck on a different element of it... SPOILERS...

I knew straight away from the two portalable panels above the robots that I need to get a tube of blue goo on them, but for whatever reason it took me a few minutes to realise I had to get in the laser tube thing with the blue goo to operate the polarization button myself.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
BeeDog said:
Does anyone know how the PS3-Steam integration works in regards to the trophies/cheevos? Since PSN is down, I haven't touched the single-player for fear that when I unlock trophies, the corresponding cheevos won't be unlocked on Steam when PSN goes back up and I sync. Is that so, or will Steam intelligently take that into account and unlock the achievements properly when the network comes back up?
They are shared. Now, I haven't done or am able to see if the PC has unlocked trophies for me but when I played co op with a friend, the Steam achievements were unlock on the PC side for me. If I get achievements on PC, I think it may just have a few pop up on PS3 once it syncs with the servers but I can't test right now seeing as PSN is still down.

Wikzo said:
Sorry if this have been asked before, but need to clarify a few things about the Steam deal for the PS3 version:

1. When you link your PSN ID to a Steam account, are you able to play simultaneously on the PS3 and PC/Mac in co-op mode with the same profile? Like if I let my brother borrow my Steam account, while I'm playing on the PS3?

2. Is there any limit on how many times you can link a PSN ID to a Steam account? E.g. if I have two PSN IDs and two Steam accounts, can I get the game free on two PCs/Macs? Or is there only one "license" per purchased PS3 copies of Portal 2?

1. I think you would have to have one person playing on your steam PC version, and one person playing on your PS3 version under a seperate steam account for PS3 that you can create free of charge

2. Of course there is a limit valve aren't stupid, you get one code

th3dude

Wikzo said:

1. Just like Steam on multiple PCs, it enforces the rule of only being able to log in from one location.

2. One license per PS3 copy. That code you entered to redeem on Steam was a one time use code.

Edit: Beat like a rented mule.

Barrett2

I'm stuck in ch.6

I just rode the elevator up the shaft in the salt mine. There are three metal doors, but when I try to open them I just hear a recording about test side effects. Not sure what to do.

Divius

lawblob said:
I'm stuck in ch.6

I just rode the elevator up the shaft in the salt mine. There are three metal doors, but when I try to open them I just hear a recording about test side effects. Not sure what to do.
Hint:
Use the elevator shaft to gain speed.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
lawblob said:
I'm stuck in ch.6

There's an angled portal conducting surface above those doors, and the bottom of the elevator shaft sure is a long way down... ;)

Edit: Beaten by a second!

lawblob said:
I'm stuck in ch.6

You can launch yourself using the bottom of the elevator.

Top Bottom