• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Portal 2 |OT| Sleep. Spuds. Science.

Paznos

Y2Kev said:
Just beat it. It's just a great game and so much more than Portal 1, which was already perfect.

AND NOLAN NORTH MADE IT IN!!! W000000000

I'M IN
SPACEEE
Yeah when I saw his name in the credits, I was like, no way!!! lol

Zomba13

Y2Kev said:
Just beat it. It's just a great game and so much more than Portal 1, which was already perfect.

AND NOLAN NORTH MADE IT IN!!! W000000000

I'M IN
SPACEEE
SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE!

StuBurns

Banned
Ferrio said:
Yep, and did a damn good job. Wasn't pigeonholed into the same role he's always in.
He gets a lot of shit for being over exposed and being in everything, but he's really very talented I think.

Ferrio

Banned
StuBurns said:
He gets a lot of shit for being over exposed and being in everything, but he's really very talented I think.

Agreed, after hearing all the varied things he did for portal. Of course the synthesized voice helps mask it.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
StuBurns said:
Yeah, when people let him do something other than the Drake voice he can be very versatile.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
MNC said:
1) Install on both PCs
2) start P2 on PC1
3) start P2 on PC2
4) sv_lan 0, net_start, map <mapname here>
5) connect to the right IP
6) success!

That's how I've played just about every source game with my nephew on my single Steam account on 2 PCs. LAN.
I'll try that, thanks.

edit: hell yeah, worked perfectly, thanks again. Took me a while because I never used the developer console before and I had to install the Source Dedicated Server but it's all good now.

Is anyone else... I don't know, a bit disappointed? I'm in Chapter 7 now and it seems to have dropped down. Like, Chapter 6 became a chore to do - at least with Chap 7
it brought some motivation back rather than just "you're in the past ones! do more tests!" but GLaDOS return brought back the movement of the plot

I dunno, the puzzles just seem... like they lost some of the care that went in to the first game. You had the clean environments to make it clear what you had, where things were, and to guide you in the right direction. With this point,
you've got floating bits where you're making portals in little gaps on too many levels to actually help you -figure out- the puzzle. Like, you fly to this bit, but then have to go back to get this gel to that place and then go around?

Maybe I'm just not used to the new mechanics yet but I'm not enjoying this bit as much.

JonathanEx said:
Is anyone else... I don't know, a bit disappointed? I'm in Chapter 7 now and it seems to have dropped down. Like, Chapter 6 became a chore to do - at least with Chap 7
it brought some motivation back rather than just "you're in the past ones! do more tests!" but GLaDOS return brought back the movement of the plot
There was motivation in chapter 6, and it was the same as every other chapter: escape.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Shush both of you, chapter 6 and 7 are the second and third coming of jesus combined in one perfectly cooked burrito, you're not allowed to talk bad about them.

Dax01 said:
There was motivation in chapter 6, and it was the same as every other chapter: escape.

It was more that it didn't push it.
By that point you weren't so much actively escaping? At least in feel - before you had Wheatley driving you along, running through, some feeling of urgency. Now you're just dropped underground with no hint of what to do there.

Dax01 said:
Thats the problem though. For a game that goes on as long as it does, and mentally taxes (and then rewards) you every few minutes, its nice to seriously mix up the motivations and gameplay.

And by mixing up the gameplay, I mean more than adding new mechanics to the same escape-the-room formula. I think that's where the grumbles come from.

I like the design aspects of it, it looked great and as other people have said the way things change, but playing it doesn't seem as fun.

Now if you'll excuse me, I think I need to
turn some more gel pressure control levers and then do some awkward escape to find myself in more test rooms

Corky said:
Shush both of you, chapter 6 and 7 are the second and third coming of jesus combined in one perfectly cooked burrito, you're not allowed to talk bad about them.

Only people in Mensa are not allowed.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
UltimaPooh said:
Only people in Mensa are not allowed.
My roommate is currently playing drunk and he figured that out faster than any other puzzle. Take that, Mensa.
Dude is probably smarter than most people in Mensa but, still he's drunk.

ZephyrFate said:
I thought Chapters 6 and 7 were awesome. I was sitting there jaw agape at just how fucking massive Aperture Labs became.
I loved em too. I just found myself having to take breaks more often in that section of the game. I just didn't have the same strong wind in my sails as in other chapters.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Corky said:

WTF is your deal, man? It's been literally days of this with you, at this point. It's time to let it go.

Oreoleo

AvidNobody said:
Is it okay to play co-op before the single player game?

Yes, but there's going to be a steeper difficulty curve as the single player campaign 'trains' you how to use the new mechanics in certain ways, and the hardest puzzles are in co-op so take that for what you will. But there aren't any spoilers or anything.

CHEEZMO™ said:
What's all this Mensa talk?

Corky is, like, totally the smartest dude in the thread or something.

NullPointer said:
Thats the problem though. For a game that goes on as long as it does, and mentalyl taxes (and then rewards) you every few minutes, its nice to seriously mix up the motivations and gameplay.
First you were saying that the motivation wasn't there, now you're saying the problem is that it's the same throughout the game?
The atmosphere in chapters six and seven is utterly incredible, not to mention the subtle way that they show Aperture Science from its height to its downfall as you progress through both.
JonathanEx said:
It was more that it didn't push it.
By that point you weren't so much actively escaping? At least in feel - before you had Wheatley driving you along, running through, some feeling of urgency. Now you're just dropped underground with no hint of what to do there.
The way the level tells the history of Aperture Science provides that push I think; the recordings of Cave Johnson, mainly. Then when that's not able to carry it any further, you meet Potato-GLaDOS.

The guy who voices Wheatley gives probably the best voice acting ever seen in a videogame, and a testament to how far we've come in that department.

Dax01 said:
First you were saying that the motivation wasn't there, now you're saying the problem is that it's the same throughout the game?
Yes.
Keeping the same motivation throughout makes it like water to a fish - invisible after a period of time. I really do think the best way I can describe my personal take on it is how I did above - I just didn't feel the same wind in my sails. Or any wind for that matter. But I still loved the mechanics themselves, I just found myself off the rails for caring about my vague motivations at that time. It all comes together in the end though, for the most part.

Subliminal said:
Clearly some sort of level pack for co-op?
Give me MOAR!

ZephyrFate said:
The guy who voices Wheatley gives probably the best voice acting ever seen in a videogame, and a testament to how far we've come in that department.
And the best part of that is...it wasn't a stretch for him. It was just Steve Merchant being Steve Merchant. So perfect.

Ryck

ZephyrFate said:
I thought Chapters 6 and 7 were awesome. I was sitting there jaw agape at just how fucking massive Aperture Labs became.
Yeah I loved 6 and 7 but I love that era in general so maybe that is why. I just finished the game today and I have to say I really enjoyed it.
The floating gel one where you have to switch directions mid flight is the only one that really beat me.

Zomba13

Phantom Limbs said:
Pretty sure this is nothign to do with official valve stuff. There was talk in the Valve ARG chat about some of the people involved wanting to continue/do their own stuff with the ARGers and the wiki site they have. A few of the test subjects/people who went to valve were up for it iirc. It's probably to do with that.

Speaking of the ARG (and by extension potatoes) has anyone gotten the skin we were supposed to have from the potato sack?

Requeim

ZephyrFate said:

You guys are getting pretty carried away here in this thread.

StuBurns

Banned
Requeim said:
You guys are getting pretty carried away here in this thread.
The genius of Portal is so much in the writing. We always hear about professional writers being involved in games, but I wonder how many studios really have full time writers on staff like Valve. It's even more odd that it's a comedy, I know a lot of people love the Tim Schafer stuff, but outside of Psychonauts I don't think his games are that funny.

The hyperbolic reviews were pretty embarrassing, but it is a phenomenal game. I'd put it second this generation behind the original I think. Maybe my opinion will change once I've played the co-op.

Top Bottom