• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Portal 2 |OT| Sleep. Spuds. Science.

Zeliard

Feep said:
I don't know if I could ever work for a software companies (the hours!), but if I were, Valve would be the place. That company seems like a dream.

I'd just play Quake on their servers all day long. :p

Phandy

Zeliard said:
Don't they also lack some officially designated positions i.e. programmer, artist, etc? Or is that another company I'm thinking of?

They have these I think, but what I think they dont have is sort of leaders of areas and things like that. They dont have lead designers, main writers or art directors. I guess they sort of exert the same influence on things as each other. (except Gabe because hes King.)
I think everyone who works at Valve is good enough and has enough experience to be a senior/lead/director etc.

Look at their titles here:
Might be an indication.

Zeliard said:
Do you work at Valve? You seem to be in the know.

Or just read up on them perhaps. ;)

I've been preparing my submission to apply to work at Valve.

I'm an Aussie though and it would take them re-locating me for it to happen... here's hoping.

Morkins

Banned
Foliorum Viridum said:
That's truly amazing. No wonder their games are the very best in the industry.
It is also no wonder that their games have notoriously long development times. And why certain games just drop off the face of the earth for years(Episode 3? What?).

They are the best, but their loose organization also doesn't promote "even" work on projects. I have to imagine that Valve's workflow does end up feeling a bit like a Flavor of the Month type of system whereby whatever project has the biggest new development(biggest idea of the week) gets the most work done in that week. If nobody is focusing on Episode 3, then no work gets done on it. That is part of the issue that comes up with a "cabal" system in a studio that has multiple simultaneous projects.

True, there's probably downsides to the system, but at the end of the day I get to play some of the best games ever made, despite the long wait sometimes. I'm okay with that :)

If I could scratch out one of my eyeballs to get Ep 3 tomorrow I would. :(

DaBuddaDa

Morkins said:
They are the best, but their loose organization also doesn't promote "even" work on projects. I have to imagine that Valve's workflow does end up feeling a bit like a Flavor of the Month type of system whereby whatever project has the biggest new development(biggest idea of the week) gets the most work done in that week. If nobody is focusing on Episode 3, then no work gets done on it. That is part of the issue that comes up with a "cabal" system in a studio that has multiple simultaneous projects.
The issue isn't exactly that "nothing gets done," it's that nothing gets done and therefore the company goes under after wasting millions, like 3D Realms. Valve doesn't have to worry about that because of Steam. They could go five years without releasing a game and probably be financially fine.

glaurung

Morkins said:
It is also no wonder that their games have notoriously long development times. And why certain games just drop off the face of the earth for years(Episode 3? What?).

Having investigated various working models I would like to add that in order to be successful with an approach like Valve's you need a properly focused and motivated leader that knows without falter what needs to be done.

Obviously Gabe and his knives are such a leader.

Morkins said:

Sounds very similar to my place of work. Except we don't produce awesome video games in the end. To be honest, it's not the best enviornment to work in if you want to get things done.

glaurung said:
Having investigated various working models I would like to add that in order to be successful with an approach like Valve's you need a properly focused and motivated leader that knows without falter what needs to be done.

Obviously Gabe and his knives are such a leader.

This is absolutely true. I've also experienced this first hand at my present job. You need a focused Captain at the helm of the ship.

Morkins

Banned
DaBuddaDa said:
The issue isn't exactly that "nothing gets done," it's that nothing gets done and therefore the company goes under after wasting millions, like 3D Realms. Valve doesn't have to worry about that because of Steam. They could go five years without releasing a game and probably be financially fine.
Work gets done. It just happens to be on L4D, L4D2, Portal 2 and presumably DOTA2.

You have a company that has been doing HL games for over 15 years and there are certain people there that just have to be bored with HL. That is to be expected though... Now, if only Valve would stop acquiring interesting new projects that distract them from the task at hand...

DaBuddaDa said:
I wonder if it is safe to say that Steam has been one of their main focuses? I mean obviously they still release games every so often, with Portal 2 being their biggest in years(from a single player campaign perspective). This could be why we haven't seen anything from their signature series in a while.

I wonder if things would be different if steam never came to be? Would they be just another 3d realms?

Tim-E

Valve is always releasing and putting out things and have been for years (Valve time jokes or not). They've put something out every year since 2003 on top of constantly patching in new stuff for existing games. So it isn't like this company structure has led to things not being accomplished; because obviously things are. They're obviously very productive; I think you guys just want them to be productive on Half-Life. :p

enzo_gt said:
I thought portal 1 was kind of challenging in the 2nd to last challenge or so.. And then I went back to it and realized it's one of the easiest games this gen.

so, when it is easier to beat a puzzle for the second time. The game becomes an easy game overall.

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
I wonder if it is safe to say that Steam has been one of their main focuses? I mean obviously they still release games every so often, with Portal 2 being their biggest in years(from a single player campaign perspective). This could be why we haven't seen anything from their signature series in a while.

I wonder if things would be different if steam never came to be? Would they be just another 3d realms?

Gabe swims in his Microsoft money every morning. I think without Steam they'd be a smaller studio, but have all the money they need to make core games until gabe got bored.

Morkins

Banned
Tim-E said:
Valve is always releasing and putting out things and have been for years (Valve time jokes or not). They've put something out every year since 2003 on top of constantly patching in new stuff for existing games. So it isn't like this company structure has led to things not being accomplished; because obviously things are. They're obviously very productive; I think you guys just want them to be productive on Half-Life. :p
I'd like them to be more productive on Half-Life... They adopted the "Episode" structure to make yearly releases possible. Instead, the cabal took over and Episode 3 has pretty much turned into Half-Life 3... Not complaining(necessarily), but it is frustrating. Especially when you consider that they have proven themselves capable of releasing a game in one year(L4D2).

Morkins said:
I'd like them to be more productive on Half-Life... They adopted the "Episode" structure to make yearly releases possible. Instead, the cabal took over and Episode 3 has pretty much turned into Half-Life 3... Not complaining(necessarily), but it is frustrating. Especially when you consider that they have proven themselves capable of releasing a game in one year(L4D2).

What if they simply aren't inspired to work on it? You want them to force it out anyway?

EDIT: at least Portal takes place in the HL universe. That's something I suppose.

Jinaar

Passed Portal 1 last night for the 2nd time ever since release. What an amazing experience.

My MIND is ready for Portal 2.

gregor7777 said:
Gabe swims in his Microsoft money every morning. I think without Steam they'd be a smaller studio, but have all the money they need to make core games until gabe got bored.
Good point, I tend to agree.. they seem more reserved in how they approach development, meaning I can't imagine them collapsing from the inside out.

deleted

As one of the few games in years I decided to buy this one on launch. I finally want to end my portal 2 hiatus.

Already postet in the global distribution thread, but I guess it doesn't hurt to post in here as well, since the targeted crowd should be more active in this thread.

I'd like to join a UK or US Portal 2 - 2 pack if anyone is buying one.

I am not going to read this whole thread to see if someone else made the mention yet, but just so you guys know...

Best Buy is selling Portal 2 for 44.99 for console and 34.99 for PC (with $10.00 rewardzone certificate if you pre-order).

This works for in store or online, (if you pre order on the website for in store pickup)

Sorry if I was late! Hope it gets someone else excited for portal 2!

Edit: Links:

PS3
PC

If there is such a thing as too excited then I am fucking IT right now. I'm literally so excited that I can't sit still to save myself.

Tried to watch Solty Rei to pass the time but I couldn't handle watching it.

Tried to play Half Life to pass the time but couldn't control my mouse because of shaking.

Tried to make more avatars to pass the time but can't do it because I'm so excited that my brain just can't reach it's creative part and I can't think well enough to do it.

I really need to CALM THE FUCKING FUCK DOWN *slap slap slap* /pull yourself together god dammit.

This link - http://www.aperturescience.com/a/b/c/d/g/h/abcdgh/

Did ppl notice that it's missing the e and f?

Why is that?

'E'nd's 'F'riday?

Can't think of anything else.

ColonialRaptor said:
If there is such a thing as too excited then I am fucking IT right now. I'm literally so excited that I can't sit still to save myself.

Tried to watch Solty Rei to pass the time but I couldn't handle watching it.

Tried to play Half Life to pass the time but couldn't control my mouse because of shaking.

Tried to make more avatars to pass the time but can't do it because I'm so excited that my brain just can't reach it's creative part and I can't think well enough to do it.

I really need to CALM THE FUCKING FUCK DOWN *slap slap slap* /pull yourself together god dammit.

This link - http://www.aperturescience.com/a/b/c/d/g/h/abcdgh/

Did ppl notice that it's missing the e and f?

Why is that?

'E'nd's 'F'riday?

Can't think of anything else.

The missing e and f probably mean something though.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
The wait is going to be miserable.

I don't have the spare funds at the moment, so I'm going to have to wait until later (and hopefully a price drop) before picking it up. Let's see how long I can avoid spoilers!

Fantastic work on the op, and congrats to anyone getting it before tuesday.

Tim-E

Boards of Canada said:
Portal 1: 1.1GB
Portal 2: 10GB

Portal 2 is the biggest game I've ever downloaded from Steam. I'm pretty sure that's bigger than Mass Effect 1/2.

There are a few games that surpass 20 GB, I believe (like Shogun 2).

NBtoaster

Boards of Canada said:
Portal 1: 1.1GB
Portal 2: 10GB

Portal 2 is the biggest game I've ever downloaded from Steam. I'm pretty sure that's bigger than Mass Effect 1/2.

Damn :\ The system requirements say only ~7GB are needed!

Means I'll have to buy it now for the reduced price, but then have to wait until the end of the month for my data cap to reset to download it :S

I think Mass Effect 2 is some 12GBs, btw.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
If i didn't have a ridiculously low limit of gb download per month, i would totally buy Portal 2 from Steam. 10gb is huge.

And IF Portal 2 does release on Steam only today, while retail boxes will release next week, well that just sucks. :(

Top Bottom