• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Portland (OR) |OT|

I love that spot. We almost always end up getting sat in the upstairs area, back in the corner. Really good breakfast.

On Mississippi, everyone knows that Gravy is great. and it is. But lately it's gotten to about a 30-40 minute wait at its worst (usually it's around 10-20min, which isn't bad)

But across the street is Miss Delta, which almost NEVER has a wait and has fucking GREAT Breakfast. Really good Chicken Fried Steak, a chicken & biscuit sandwich w/ Egg...

Also, the FlavourSpot waffle-cart on Lombard apparently has some of the best, if not THE best, waffles in the city.

Why do they have two menus? Stuff sounds amazing, by the way.

Couple different establishments. Be sure to check Petite Provence on Alberta.

I love that spot. We almost always end up getting sat in the upstairs area, back in the corner. Really good breakfast.

On Mississippi, everyone knows that Gravy is great. and it is. But lately it's gotten to about a 30-40 minute wait at its worst (usually it's around 10-20min, which isn't bad)

But across the street is Miss Delta, which almost NEVER has a wait and has fucking GREAT Breakfast. Really good Chicken Fried Steak, a chicken & biscuit sandwich w/ Egg...

Also, the FlavourSpot waffle-cart on Lombard apparently has some of the best, if not THE best, waffles in the city.

You just reminded me Waffle House is good too.

About to go HAM

Neo Member
Ok so Miss Delta if all else fails?

I definitely am on the egg based breakfast side of things. Love eggs, veggies, meats, breads/biscuits, etc etc. What about morning cocktails? Might be beyond our wallets, but it might come in handy.

EDIT: Good omelettes are hard for me to pass up on.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
If Pine is busy just walk up to Petite Provence. While not on the cheap side it is on the "omg soo good" side.

For $10 you get a day's worth of meals there. I fucking love Petite Provence. Why anyone would eat at those southern comfort hipster spots is beyond me.

"Here's some lard with a side of bacon! Enjoy! Would you like sourdough with that?"

About to go HAM

Neo Member
For $10 you get a day's worth of meals there. I fucking love Petite Provence. Why anyone would eat at those southern comfort hipster spots is beyond me.

"Here's some lard with a side of bacon! Enjoy! Would you like sourdough with that?"

Honestly, this is my first choice.

About to go HAM

Neo Member
Northwest Salmon Omelette
Wild smoked salmon, salmon mousse, spinach, and diced red onion folded
into a three-egg omelette, served with lemon-dill sauce. 12.95

Hnnnnggg

reilo

And not just their omelettes... I am still pissed they got rid of the steak benedict and the berry french toast. At least they still have the best Monte Cristo in the state.

About to go HAM

Neo Member
And not just their omelettes... I am still pissed they got rid of the steak benedict and the berry french toast. At least they still have the best Monte Cristo in the state.

Steak Benedict sounds intriguing. Its been too long since i've had a good monte cristo, but I'll have trouble passing up an omelette

Dartastic

If Pine is busy just walk up to Petite Provence. While not on the cheap side it is on the "omg soo good" side.
When I ate at Petite Provence I didn't really like it. However, every single time I go to Screen Door I'm in heaven. Plus like, those chicken and waffles are easily two meals.

There is a wait (usually around 45 minutes honestly) but I mean, let's be real here people. Let's be real. Look at this delicious chicken.
IMG_3991.JPG

That and the Meurette Benedict, mmmm.
That's what I had and it was pretty bleh. My egg was overcooked, there was only like one piece of bacon on it (yes, seriously) and the sauce wasn't too great. :/

reilo

Steak Benedict sounds intriguing. Its been too long since i've had a good monte cristo, but I'll have trouble passing up an omelette

This one is phenomenal. The few places around town that do serve a monte cristo (Cadillac Cafe, Down to Earth Cafe, maybe one other I can't remember) don't even come close.

About to go HAM

Neo Member
I cannot see myself ever waiting more than 10-15 minutes for a table. In Seattle you just go to some other great place to eat if there's a line.

45 minutes seems unreasonable to me.

Dartastic

I cannot see myself ever waiting more than 10-15 minutes for a table. In Seattle you just go to some other great place to eat if there's a line.

45 minutes seems unreasonable to me.
Yeah. Brunch in this city is ridiculous. Most spots in this city have a wait on weekends, and the ones that don't usually are either hidden gems or aren't that hot, at least in my experience. City State is a pretty good spot that usually doesn't have much of a wait, I dig it there. Cricket Cafe is another similarly good spot that doesn't have much of a wait.

reilo

Pretty sure you can make reservations for Irving St Kitchen. No wait for that!

reilo

I'd recommend Denny's, but on a Sunday in the burbs, there's a wait for that, too.

What's the deal with lack of beaches/pools in this town? I drove my ass around for like an hour and a half today trying to find a place to enjoy the nice weather and there's just nothing. Public pools are reserved for birthday parties? What the fuck? Ended up at Sauvie Island because I was already half way out in the NE so just said fuck it. That place isn't even that great either despite what online reviews might tell you. This is really the only thing so far that I've seen as a setback in the town.

Dartastic

What's the deal with lack of beaches/pools in this town? I drove my ass around for like an hour and a half today trying to find a place to enjoy the nice weather and there's just nothing. Public pools are reserved for birthday parties? What the fuck? Ended up at Sauvie Island because I was already half way out in the NE so just said fuck it. That place isn't even that great either despite what online reviews might tell you. This is really the only thing so far that I've seen as a setback in the town.
Sauvie Island isn't great? WRONG.

Berry farms, pumpkin patches, beaches both nude and normal. Wrong. So wrong.

Sauvie Island isn't great? WRONG.

Berry farms, pumpkin patches, beaches both nude and normal. Wrong. So wrong.

Maybe I'm spoiled by Minnesota lakes all my life, but all I saw was a whole lot of fields of nothing, over crowded (small) beaches with kids and dogs running around with no watch and all for an entry fee of $7? I mean to get lunch I had to get a $1.50 microwaveable hot dog at the over priced convenience store. Where's the restaurants? Why aren't they grooming the beaches with massive parking permit income they are receiving every day?

I didn't get a chance to check the nude beach, but my experience with those in Australia is about 10 to 1 in dicks to tits, and I don't see that ratio improving in the ever so prude America.

reilo

Beaches? Portland is all about the river floats man. Get yourself out to the Clackamas river.

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
People actual want to go to beaches in Portland when the Oregon coast exists?

That blows my mind...

Dartastic

Two fucking days. Two fucking days of me getting to Victory Bar for that burger at 6 (which is an hour after opening) and they are SOLD OUT AGAIN. FFJKLHFADHJKLAFSDHJKLFSDHJKLFADKHJLFGSDHJKL

Just found out that the house I lived in before I moved to California was bought by people who were eventually murdered there.

Hard to believe someone probably died in my bedroom.

Ketch

Just drove my ass from Wisconsin the past four days but I'm finally here. Just got into town like three hours ago. Glad to be here. Ready to party.

I used to live in WI before moving out here, where are you from?

Question: What's the best pho place in town? I've tried a couple, but the only one I really like is Pho Oregon on 82nd

I used to live in WI before moving out here, where are you from?

Question: What's the best pho place in town? I've tried a couple, but the only one I really like is Pho Oregon on 82nd

I'm originally from Minneapolis but have been living in Sheboygan for the past two years out of college (went to Iowa State). Company I work for asked if I'd consider going to their smaller run business out here in Portland and I said yes. So here I am. What about you?

Went to trivia at Hops Haven on Broadway last night and won. That was kind of cool.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Got a $5 burger from Slowbar tonight (make sure to order how you want it otherwise it is cooked medium....yuck) and then went on to Rontoms to the Lonesome Billies show and won some raffle prizes. Good Wednesday.

Sumidor

Pho Hung is good, but I heard too many weird rumors about them to go anymore. Pho An Sandy is probably my 2nd favorite. Pho Van is good, but kinda expensive compared to the rest, but it's definitely the "nicest" one. Pho Oregon is my favorite though. Especially since there's that little pastry shop right next door. I love getting a big bowl of pho and then going to the pastry shop to get a few snacks.

Doombear

Right up front, let me state that I am no Pho expert, but I love nearly everything else I have had at Lúc Lác. Banh Mi, the Tofu Salad Bun. Amazing.

So worth a check out perhaps based on their other food. Someday I will have the Pho there and get back to you, but the other dishes are hard to get away from.

Also, it is gorgeous inside, and they have quite a talented bartender:

0cSVpOS.png

Sumidor

I'm very meh on luc lac. The only thing I really like about that place is that it's open late on weekends. The pho is really sweet and I don't recommended it. The Tom Yum soup is their best soup, the other dishes are ok. If you're in that area, I would just go to one of the Vietnamese food carts.

Got a $5 burger from Slowbar tonight (make sure to order how you want it otherwise it is cooked medium....yuck) and then went on to Rontoms to the Lonesome Billies show and won some raffle prizes. Good Wednesday.

Went to Tilt for its $5 burger tonight. Pretty good, it's based off Big Mac and is comparable.

Before I flew down here to San Diego, I got food to go from Dick's Kitchen on SE Belmont. I didn't actually get the Burger Week burger, but the regular hamburger because you have to eat there if you order the $5 burger. What I got was really good, and their fries are good too. They also have good sauces. Recommended.
http://www.dkportland.com/
996587_703154016696_1244997517_n.jpg

Top Bottom