• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Portland (OR) |OT|

I kind of wish there was more in the OP for restaurants and stuff. There's just so many good places to eat, I don't think I've been to a bad place yet.

I kind of wish there was more in the OP for restaurants and stuff. There's just so many good places to eat, I don't think I've been to a bad place yet.
Yeah. There were a few places I went to that are not in the OP. like Speakeasy Tavern in SE. They have chess night there on Wednesdays if any of you are chess players. Alberta St Pub has great beer on tap.

For food, http://nicholasrestaurant.com/ is a very good Middle Eastern restaurant. It's just as good as Dar Salam or Ya Hala.

Ketch

I'm originally from Minneapolis but have been living in Sheboygan for the past two years out of college (went to Iowa State). Company I work for asked if I'd consider going to their smaller run business out here in Portland and I said yes. So here I am. What about you.

Lived near Kenosha until I came of age, joined the Air Force, met my wife, separated from active duty, and moved here (where she's from). I like it here better.

OSWEGO HERITAGE COUNCIL

Fourteenth ANNUAL COLLECTOR CAR SHOW

SUNDAY AUGUST 18 2013
10:00 am to 3:00 pm

GEORGE ROGERS PARK
STATE & LADD STREETS
LAKE OSWEGO, OREGON

I saw this going on, and I think I'll go check it out... Looks like the park is full of old cars!

So you see a lot of free shit just walking around. We got a shelf this way recently but this is the best free thing we've seen yet:

yj4BrvE.jpg

Bored. I had some wine earlier. I might go get something to eat. I only have $8 cash. The closest place that is probably open late is McDonalds or 24 hour Walmart.

Sumidor

Bored. I had some wine earlier. I might go get something to eat. I only have $8 cash. The closest place that is probably open late is McDonalds or 24 hour Walmart.
Just wait for a place will to late night happy hour. Casa del matador's happy hour is reeeeally cheap.

Got a $5 burger from Slowbar tonight (make sure to order how you want it otherwise it is cooked medium....yuck) and then went on to Rontoms to the Lonesome Billies show and won some raffle prizes. Good Wednesday.

WHAT? A burger should NEVER be cooked past medium well, and even that much is a stretch.

Also, I'm moving to portland this upcoming week. Plan the fuckin parade.

Mississippi been lively - but only recently has it basically become Hawthorne North.

Reminder: The very last performance of Trek in the Park is tomorrow at 5pm in Cathedral Park. After this, it goes away entirely.

Get there no later than 3pm, though. The audiences have been breaking 2k with regularity this season.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
When did Mississippi get so lively? I don't remember all these bars.
When rent hit $1250/month and I said "fuck that".

That whole area all the way to Williams and Vancouver is exploding, especially with a New Seasons opening up.

AcridMeat

Banned
Wait, you're in P-Town? How much longer? DUDE.
Devo let's hang. I'm here till Wednesday afternoon.
When rent hit $1250/month and I said "fuck that".

That whole area all the way to Williams and Vancouver is exploding, especially with a New Seasons opening up.
Seriously it's crazy! Last time I was here was 12 months ago I really don't remember all that.

Probably going to trek in the park tomorrow sounds awesome.

All I gotta say is one of the absolute hardest disk golf courses I have played was Dabney State Park near hood. Beautiful country there as well.

jdavid459

Hey Portland GAF -

I have one year left in college and then I plan on moving somewhere completely new and exciting. Portland is one of the options I have my eye on. Others include: Austin, TX , Colorodo or Southern california. Portland has two companies I am trying to get a job at (Reebok and Nike) so there is that...

Can you guys sell me on Portland? (Coming from the hustle-bustle East coast for reference)

Hey Portland GAF -

I have one year left in college and then I plan on moving somewhere completely new and exciting. Portland is one of the options I have my eye on. Others include: Austin, TX , Colorodo or Southern california. Portland has two companies I am trying to get a job at (Reebok and Nike) so there is that...

Can you guys sell me on Portland? (Coming from the hustle-bustle East coast for reference)

It's got the most strip clubs per capita of any city. You should visit here first and come to a strip club to see if it's for you or not.

Seriously though, we are pretty laid-back on the West Coast.

Alright guys, need a suggestion. My 15 year anniversary is in November and I want to make it an interesting week. I have a reservation at the Portland City Grill already for dinner one night, but need suggestions for other nights. It's the week after Thanksgiving -so yes, my anniversary does fall on Thanksgiving every now and then - and I know the weather is usually rainy then. Thanks in advance.

Hey Portland GAF -

Are you able to visit before making a decision?

Southern california is nothing like portland. Tons of driving, hot, expensive, but with access to any kind of media or entertainment job you can imagine and great beaches/cuisine. I can't speak for austin or colorado (I'm assuming you'd want to live in a place like boulder?) other than to say that they are in some ways culturally similar to portland.

If hustle is your thing there's a little of that in downtown portland, but it's a very laid back city for the most part. Tons of music, art, weirdos, beer, etc. The premises you see on portlandia are actually real, and they're no big deal here. The suburbs and rural areas have a lot of conservative and upper middle class kind of white people, so it's not just hippie fun and games. There is a big outdoor enthusiast subculture here because of the proximity to mount hood, the sisters, and huge swaths of northwest wilderness areas. It's a short trip to the coast, which is a dreary place most of the year but absolutely beautiful if you happen to get there on a sunny day.

We have two professional sports teams in the blazers (best home crowd in the NBA) and the timbers if you're into that, but there's no chance in hell that the MLB or NFL comes here anytime soon. Also, it rarely snows, but it rains for 8-9 months of the year.

I think portland is a great city for a young professional or a young drifter to be in. You should use the guide in the OP and come for a visit.

Is last Thursday cool?

last thursday is cool. the only thing that's not cool is the confusing streets in portland. they have two streets named 14th, so i spent an hour looking for my car. :(

some people were helpful and explained that there are two 14th's. lol!

wait so are we capitalizing portland or not? ^^

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Speaking of Last Thursday

The mess that is Last Thursday has now grown violent—over a parking spot.

Two men assaulted an Alberta-area resident, who fought back with a cordless drill, after the homeowner had their car towed for blocking his driveway during Last Thursday, police say.
The smallest one started punching me but he was so weak that it felt like butterflies kissing me.

http://www.wweek.com/portland/blog-...fter_their_car_is_towed_at_last_thursday.html

Top Bottom