• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Portland (OR) |OT|

Looking for a place. The room ads all borderline on either housing discrimination or people that don't want renters to live in the place they rent.

it's tough, and there's definitely some 'preferential treatment' as you suggest going on in the renter's market. you have to be super vigilant and ready to put down a deposit immediately.

sorry i don't have more specific advice, but persistence gets results around here.

Dartastic

Looking for a place. The room ads all borderline on either housing discrimination or people that don't want renters to live in the place they rent.

it's tough, and there's definitely some 'preferential treatment' as you suggest going on in the renter's market. you have to be super vigilant and ready to put down a deposit immediately.

sorry i don't have more specific advice, but persistence gets results around here.
My girlfriend has been looking around at new places as well, and it's kinda scary. Prices have really skyrocketed over the past few years.

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
My girlfriend has been looking around at new places as well, and it's kinda scary. Prices have really skyrocketed over the past few years.

Case in point, I got a one-bedroom last summer for $835. A studio in the exact same building is on craigslist for $850.

FyreWulff

Yeah, I have the money for a deposit and everything. But a lot of this crap is either lolexpensive or the requirements they want would making renting useless.

Like, I have to work from home since I'm a programmer. But then it'll say that you can't work from home or stay home.

Doombear

Wait sorry... there is a stipulation on renting a 'home' that says you can't work from home? I admit it has been a while *knock on wood* since I was searching for a place to rent, but what?! Is this normal? I mean isn't it basically saying you can't stay in your house too much, too often, for extended periods of time. Your. Home. What?

I assume working from home and running a business OUT OF your home are seen as different things. I assume you are seeing the former?

FyreWulff

It is the former, and I ran into that crap with landlords where I moved from too. There seem to be people in this world that get angry when you actually use your rental..

FyreWulff

Maybe they want to illegally enter but that's harder to do with someone who works from home.

Makes sense, the landlords that were like that were the same ones that were always hovering around the building all the time, trying to incidental looks at your apartment.

My last one was great, he just showed up to fix shit and collects the rent. He didn't even come in when he fixed the AC, he just had one of us turn on the thermostat for him.

Socreges

Banned
Try the food carts at SW Park and Washington, or the ones at 4th and Oak.
Thank you! Got some excellent gyros

Lardo.

Oh, downtown?
Where's Lardo? We'll be back in just over a week, this time for a few days

it's hot as fuck yo
What a fucking day to visit

You've got a damn fine city, Portland-GAF. Powell's is incredible, the markets were great (gave to a nice atmosphere), the beer is excellent (tried some sours at Cascade), very green (literally) which we really liked.... One problem. The lineup for Voodoo Doughnuts was absurd. Is there a good time to go? Midweek during the morning/afternoon maybe?

Thank you! Got some excellent gyros

Where's Lardo? We'll be back in just over a week, this time for a few days

What a fucking day to visit

You've got a damn fine city, Portland-GAF. Powell's is incredible, the markets were great (gave to a nice atmosphere), the beer is excellent (tried some sours at Cascade), very green (literally) which we really liked.... One problem. The lineup for Voodoo Doughnuts was absurd. Is there a good time to go? Midweek during the morning/afternoon maybe?

It's a messed up answer but going somewhere else and doing something better with your time honestly.

Socreges

Banned
Will do.

Tried Dead Guy Ale in a Roseburg pub today. A beer I didn't care to drink in a town I didn't care to be in.

Crater Lake was f'ing phenomenal, though

Just hit up Blue Star. It out-Voodoos Voodoo these days.

Second this. I'm really good friends with their head pastry chef and she knows how to make some crazy good doughnuts. The owner also has Boxer Ramen just around the corner and it's awesome too. Get the spicy! But makes for a great lunch + dessert.

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
Hey guys, just a couple questions.

A few of you might have seen my thread about wanting to move to NYC with my girlfriend for schooling. I didn't elaborate much on what we want to go to school for, but I am hoping to learn about digital media and design, whereas she is extremely interested in culinary arts. We did some research on schools, and at the moment I am interested in PNCA while she is interested in the Oregon culinary institute. We both have experience in these fields, but without schooling. After visiting NYC I was very convinced that I would love to live in Brooklyn, and started looking into schooling in the area. Obviously there are a lot of options for what I want to study, and the same goes for her, but with mild financial support from my parents and having to work a lot just to afford living, I am not sure how I would be able to attend school. We also coordinated some options in LA, but the financial situation is very similar, if not worse. Portland has always been on our radar, but we are more seriously considering it now that the discouragement from our past research in these other choices of cities has caused us to sort of become stagnant in the ambition department.

Right off the bat, I would like to know if you guys think this is a good choice. The one thing we have decided without doubt is that we will not stay in Florida for schooling, no matter what. The both of us have a heavy hatred of our current environment, and will do whatever it takes to get a change in scenery. Also, I would like to know if anyone here either attended or has information on the schools we mentioned. Feel free to recommend alternative options as well.

MikeDown

Banned
just got back from portland was able to take some decent puctioures
1610756_918207041528783_7375913943745845593_n.jpg

10516619_918207048195449_3137277569720515069_n.jpg

10553628_918207034862117_2951527037436029897_n.jpg

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Bamboo Sushi.

I've actually never been, because I every time I intend to go, I end up going next door to Ken's Artisan Pizza (which is god tier in its own right). But I've heard from people I trust that it's legit.
I've never been to either of those places. I'll definitely check em out.

Moofers

Yuki Sushi in Hillsboro is the truth. I've gone like 4 times in the last 3 months and everything is always immaculately prepared. Anything tempura is God-tier.

Mimir

I'm moving to Portland at the end of the month, and one of my friends will be helping me with the move. Any suggestions for things we should do while he's here? We'll obviously go to a lot of brewpubs, stop by Powell's, and maybe visit the Japanese Gardens. I'm not quite sure how long he plans on staying, but we should have at least a few days.

Fire on the Mountain.

If you like Whiskey, try Rogue Dead Guy Whiskey. It is unlike anything.

Saturday Market too.

Never tried that whiskey but there are a few distilleries around here that make some excellent spirits. Big bottom has an award winning port aged bourbon that is just excellent if you're a whiskey hound like me. Clear creek distillery has a great faux islay whisky and they have free tasting room sampling (get there early because it fills up quickly).

Fire on the mountain is very good too but it can get really busy at both locations if you get there during prime dinner time. They offer really cheap pitchers of their own beer there on mondays and of course some great wings.

The best happy hour I've come across is cibo on 35th/division (5-6 every day, 9-close sun-thurs & 10-close fri/sat). They have a wood fired margherita pizza for $5 which is a killer deal considering that you'll pay at least double that at ken's or wherever else.

Pastaworks on hawthorne is one of my favorite places to snack at. They have all kinds of freshly baked bread, a top notch butcher shop, homemade pasta, cheeses, beers, wines, jams, vegetables, etc. AND it's attached to a Powell's gift shop and like one door down from a smaller Powell's book store. There's an in house restaurant there that I haven't tried yet but hear is good too.

As far as brewpubs go I usually stick to taprooms like belmont station, imperial taproom, prost, horse brass, or tin bucket. But if you're looking for some unique brewpub experiences, cascade has some of the best sour beers you'll ever taste, the commons has a tasting room that has mostly belgian and farmhouse style ales, hair of the dog has a small selection but is always solid, and breakside has really impressed me with their consistency.

For late night weirdness check out montage on se 2nd and morrison. Strange location, soul food, open till 3am, trough style seating. Good experience.

Moofers

I'm moving to Portland at the end of the month, and one of my friends will be helping me with the move. Any suggestions for things we should do while he's here? We'll obviously go to a lot of brewpubs, stop by Powell's, and maybe visit the Japanese Gardens. I'm not quite sure how long he plans on staying, but we should have at least a few days.

Beaverton farmer's market. It's on Saturdays and there's a lot of fun food there to eat, plus you can buy rad veggies and shit. Check it out!

Also, see a movie at Cinetopia. Go ready to spend some money on food and liquor and you'll enjoy the movie like no other theater can pull off.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Also, see a movie at Cinetopia. Go ready to spend some money on food and liquor and you'll enjoy the movie like no other theater can pull off.

Booooo at Cinetopia. Go to Living Room on a Monday or Tuesday for $5 movie night. Or better yet go to St Johns Theatre for first run movies with beer/wine and pizza.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Kennedy school is pretty decent. Couches for seating and they serve beer, wine, liquor, and pizza. 2nd run so tickets are cheep.

Cat Party

I'm going. Assuming my passes ever show up.

Yikes. Got mine two weeks ago. Have you followed up with customer service?

And Kennedy School is one of my favorite places to go watch a movie. I live out toward Edgefield, so I go there a lot, too.

Hop

Yikes. Got mine two weeks ago. Have you followed up with customer service?

And Kennedy School is one of my favorite places to go watch a movie. I live out toward Edgefield, so I go there a lot, too.

I've emailed, not heard anything yet. My mailman seems to be very specific about the names on mail, and mine were sent to my new name, so he might not have gotten the memo yet.

Cat Party

I've emailed, not heard anything yet. My mailman seems to be very specific about the names on mail, and mine were sent to my new name, so he might not have gotten the memo yet.

Last year, they cut it pretty close for me. But mine did show up. Hope it works out for you.

Mimir

I finally got my computer set up now that my friends have headed back home. I think everyone enjoyed their time here. Thanks for all the suggestions!

I ended up having three people helping me move and/or crashing at my apartment while I got settled in. We weren't able to make it everywhere that was suggested, but we enjoyed Cascade Brewing, Hair of the Dog, Living Room Theaters and Belmont Station. I'm the only one of the group that really enjoys whiskey, so I'll check out the distillery recommendations on my own.

Because of dietary restrictions, we had to stick to places that offered vegan and gluten-free options, but thankfully Portland has plenty of those. Natural Selections was the biggest hit for restaurants, but too expensive for me to eat there regularly.

Hop

Last year, they cut it pretty close for me. But mine did show up. Hope it works out for you.

Never showed up, but I took the email they sent me when I poked, along with ID, and they gave me one at the door. So, all's well.

Top Bottom