• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Portland (OR) |OT|

Hey guys, tonight is my first night in town and due to some unfortunate events I'm kind of stranded here. I know people north of Seattle, but I'd rather spend st. Paddys day in town. Any of PortlandGAF celebrating tonight?

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Hey yall, what are some good but generally overlooked weekend brunch spots in N / NE? I wanna break out of my comfort zone a little bit. Thanks!

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Hey yall, what are some good but generally overlooked weekend brunch spots in N / NE? I wanna break out of my comfort zone a little bit. Thanks!

Interurban.
Ps & Qs Market.
Mock Crest Tavern (divey but has good cheap breakfast).

Need to try some of those brunch places. I've lived here for nine months and haven't gone to brunch once.

I'm trying to watch the college basketball games on Friday does anyone have good places for good food too? Watched the last one at Fire on the Mountain but would like to try some place new.

Almost literally ran into Silas Mitchell a bit ago coming out of Veritable Quandary. This ropey pseudo-homeless-looking guy came out of it and was walking ahead of me, looking like he was trying to make sure his car alarm was set. He turns around and doesn't realize I'm there and almost runs into me. I only had time to think "hey, it's the guy from Burn Notice" and ask "How's it going?" before he was gone.

Fletcher

So I'm going to portland for the weekend late next month. I've never been and stoked to check it out. I'll pour through this thread for some recommendations.

My question is think I should rent a car? We are staying at the Ace which seems to be in a pretty good location. Would I feel I need a vehicle?

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
So I'm going to portland for the weekend late next month. I've never been and stoked to check it out. I'll pour through this thread for some recommendations.

My question is think I should rent a car? We are staying at the Ace which seems to be in a pretty good location. Would I feel I need a vehicle?

It ultimately depends on where you want to go visit, but most likely you won't have much need to. You'll be right in the middle of the west side, surrounded by public transit options and within walking of a bunch of tourist stops.

And to add to what Hop said I always see plenty of those Zip Cars and similar type of quick rent options around town. I honestly have no idea what the process is to use those but that might be a simpler and cheap option? Consider that if you think you'll need a car for any particular reason.

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
And to add to what Hop said I always see plenty of those Zip Cars and similar type of quick rent options around town. I honestly have no idea what the process is to use those but that might be a simpler and cheap option? Consider that if you think you'll need a car for any particular reason.

With Zipcar/Car2Go/etc., you have to register with the company beforehand, but that takes about a day. Zipcar, though, send you a card you use to actually lock/unlock, that does take more time.

But yea, if you're going to think about that route, Car2Go is probably better since it's more flexible. Zipcar, you get better vehicles, but they have "homes" and you have to reserve for larger blocks of time.

Sumidor

Don't know if any of you are big Game of Thrones fans, but they just released their new beer and I know a few stores in Portland just got it in stock. It's supposed to be a lot easier to get than the last few beers.

Went to Cha Ba Thai with people was damn good.

Recommend:
Crispy Shrimp Wontons
Lemon Chicken
Crispy Duck
Beef and Pumpkin in Musaman Curry

all excellent

Dartastic

Don't know if any of you are big Game of Thrones fans, but they just released their new beer and I know a few stores in Portland just got it in stock. It's supposed to be a lot easier to get than the last few beers.
I bought two and shared them with my girlfriend for the premier. Not as good as the last one, IMO but still great. That brewery is so good.
Went to Cha Ba Thai with people was damn good.

Recommend:
Crispy Shrimp Wontons
Lemon Chicken
Crispy Duck
Beef and Pumpkin in Musaman Curry

all excellent
Outside of the curry that sounds like stuff I would get at a Chinese place. ...I wish we had more (any?) good Chinese food in this town. Sigh.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
My homies with the Portland Indie Game Squad are putting on a showing of Ecstasy of Order: The Tetris Masters this Saturday. It's gonna start at 6:15 PM at 5th Avenue Cinema near (or on?) the PSU campus.

Join PIGSquad and Pixel Arts in a free screening of Ecstasy of Order: The Tetris Masters & playing videogames on a theater screen to celebrate PIGSquad's 3-year anniversary!

6:15pm: Play Tetris
7pm: Movie Screening – Ecstasy of Order
9pm: More games – Tetris Attack, Hard Lander, and ?

More Info on Facebook

Moofers

Trying to find a cool place for a surprise birthday party for my wife. Going to have a party of about 6-8, needs to be close to hotels, unique atmosphere, welcoming for people in their late 20s early 30s. Looking for a place to get dinner followed by drinks. Totally open to getting both at the same place. Looking to get dressed up but not "$300 jeans" or suits dressed up. Most important thing is a killer drink menu. Can't stress that enough. She loves old fashioned, margaritas, and wine. Fun cocktails too! Thx in advance!

Trying to find a cool place for a surprise birthday party for my wife. Going to have a party of about 6-8, needs to be close to hotels, unique atmosphere, welcoming for people in their late 20s early 30s. Looking for a place to get dinner followed by drinks. Totally open to getting both at the same place. Looking to get dressed up but not "$300 jeans" or suits dressed up. Most important thing is a killer drink menu. Can't stress that enough. She loves old fashioned, margaritas, and wine. Fun cocktails too! Thx in advance!
Too bad I was too late on seeing this. The Nines hotel in Pioneer Square would be a great place that would cater to all your requirements. Departure sits up top as its rooftop bar and has some great fusion cuisine and cocktail menu. Urban Farmer is located in the hotel as well and has some really great food incorporating all the sustainable and local trends Oregon is known for... Their moonshine punch is awesome too. Not to mention that it is all centrally located for an easy walk to all things fun in downtown. I'm gonna stop now this feels like an advertisement :-X

Does anyone have any suggestions for weird shit to do that is unique to Portland? My buddies are coming jnto town next week so they are missing Last Thursday... All I could think of was Tiny Tuesday strip clubs and whatnot; any suggestions?

Go to striperokee at Devil's Point on a Sunday. You sing, they dance.

Tour of the Shanghai Tunnels?

They leave Sunday. Shanghai Tunnels I've done before and thought it was awful.

Anyone do Bridgetown Comedy festival this weekends? I saw the Indian guy from Sillicon Valley and thought he was pretty hilarious.

xxracerxx

I've never done the tour but I heard the same. Just something to do that is unique to Portland.

Rent bikes and got to a bazillion breweries.

xxracerxx

One of the best Portland summer evens starts soon.

i3R9GmlOEBVtQ.jpg

Pedalpalooza!!

Quick stop this Friday night for dinner at Lardo East before heading to Bend. Then stopping at Hair of the Dog for lunch on Tuesday before coming back home to Seattle.

Anyone else doing the Sony E3 presser in the theater? I'm stoked to go. Bringing my wife.

Wanting to go with a friend but I'm just ending training in my new position at my job and don't want to bug them about swapping my days off that week just to have that night free. It'd be amusing but not a huge loss.

I want to update the OP again since i have been slacking. If you see something isn't on the list and it's awesome please post or PM me.

overcast

So, last night in the northwest. With friends, looking for a great bar hopping spot. I did Alberta Wednesday night and it was terrific.

This city is amazing. (I made the thread a few weeks back, but the more suggestions the better).

So, last night in the northwest. With friends, looking for a great bar hopping spot. I did Alberta Wednesday night and it was terrific.

This city is amazing. (I made the thread a few weeks back, but the more suggestions the better).

Hawthorne. Downtown around Voodoo. 21st in the NW.

Top Bottom