• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Portland (OR) |OT|

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
8oDg97P.jpg

Meet the new PBR (Old German if you are that guy); Montucky Cold Snack!

Great can - check
Drink for charity - check
Tells people not to be a jerk - check

Found at a lot of local corner stores around town. I am going to make the change happen.

RjpcsNb.jpg

xxracerxx

I did, think that got me off to a strong start. Great night, feel like walking around in Alberta made Portland click for me on a different level.

So, trying Fire on the Mountain tonight. How are the bars on Burnside?

Great choice.

Bars are just alright on Burnside, nothing special.

I did, think that got me off to a strong start. Great night, feel like walking around in Alberta made Portland click for me on a different level.

Bars are pretty standard around there. It might be a good time to do the Sassy's + Union Jacks strip club walk to get another side of Portland culture (most strip clubs per capita in the country).

overcast

Friend ain't about that strip club life.

Spent most of the day in Hawthorne. Which neighborhood has a unique selection of bars?

xxracerxx

Friend ain't about that strip club life.

Spent most of the day in Hawthorne. Which neighborhood has a unique selection of bars?

If you have already been to Hawthorne and Alberta, you may check out Mississippi area. They have some fancy bars, breweries, and some just plain old places.

overcast

Hey, thanks a lot for the suggestions. Ended up going to Misissippi and having a great time. Miss the hell out of Portland, maybe my favorite city I've visited in my life. Love the look and feel of it. It even beat out Seattle on my trip, so good job guys.

mkenyon

Banned
isn't that the place with the banana ketchup?
Yeah.

Wings are up there as my most favorite dish in general. If I visit a place and hear things about a really good wing place, I go there to check it out. I visit every single one within a decent distance of where I live.

FOTM is my #1. The Cajun Tots and Deep Fried Pickles are both really good too.

xxracerxx

Hey, thanks a lot for the suggestions. Ended up going to Misissippi and having a great time. Miss the hell out of Portland, maybe my favorite city I've visited in my life. Love the look and feel of it. It even beat out Seattle on my trip, so good job guys.

Glad you had a great time.

mkenyon

Banned
I just got back from a weekend down there celebrating my pal's 30th. For breakfast today, I went to Annie's Doughnuts on recommendation from another pal.

I almost always try to find a way to stop by Voodoo to pick treats up for my wife and friends up here (Olympia), and get a Memphis Mafia for myself. But man, Annie's puts it to shame in quality. The raspberry fritter was stupid good.

Had a great time watching the US-Germany game at Apex on Thursday morning. Bunch of Barley Browns beers and Pine St Biscuits. The Brandy Cherry Fred at Hair of the Dog with lunch was pretty damn epic, too.

Interfectum

Just got back from Portland on Sunday. What a fantastic city. Watched the US / Germany game from the Rogue Pub House, visited the Japanese, Rose and Chinese gardens, went to Mt Hood and the Columbia River Gorge, did a tour of some of the local breweries and ate at some crazy good restaurants (Ned Ludds, Little Bird, etc).

Had some Voodoo donuts too!

I want to go back. >.<

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I know I posted in here a way back but I'll finally be moving to Portland two days from now. Any good local gyms to recommend?
Sweet! What part of town will you be in? There's tons of gyms here.

Socreges

Banned
Just a couple weeks until Oregon Brewer's Festival and my first visit to Portland...

Anyone want to recommend a pub/bar with a great tap list? Maybe one with a great patio?

Just a couple weeks until Oregon Brewer's Festival and my first visit to Portland...

Anyone want to recommend a pub/bar with a great tap list? Maybe one with a great patio?

-belmont station for a good variety, fair prices, good service, and a relaxed atmosphere
-prost for german style beers and soccer people
-imperial taproom for a modern growler pouring house in a great neighborhood
-tin bucket for a modern growler pouring house in a good neighborhood
-apex for overpriced drinks and a cool people vibe (cash only)
-horse brass for a dark english style pub with a good tap list (no patio)
-muddy rudder for a dark english style pub with an okay tap list in a great neighborhood (yes patio)
-gigantic on se 26th has good outdoor seating but the tap list is pretty basic
-stormbreaker brewing: same as gigantic but in north portland instead

i usually stick to one of those

Socreges

Banned
-belmont station for a good variety, fair prices, good service, and a relaxed atmosphere
-prost for german style beers and soccer people
-imperial taproom for a modern growler pouring house in a great neighborhood
-tin bucket for a modern growler pouring house in a good neighborhood
-apex for overpriced drinks and a cool people vibe (cash only)
-horse brass for a dark english style pub with a good tap list (no patio)
-muddy rudder for a dark english style pub with an okay tap list in a great neighborhood (yes patio)
-gigantic on se 26th has good outdoor seating but the tap list is pretty basic
-stormbreaker brewing: same as gigantic but in north portland instead

i usually stick to one of those
Nice! Does Prost have a patio? I've heard good things

Socreges

Banned
Belmont Station was also part of the plan. Especially since Prost doesn't have any of the WA/OR/CA brews, which is essentially the goal.

Spoiled for choice while having too little time. No missteps allowed...

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
The Portland Indie Game Squad is showing Gaming in Color this Sunday at 6pm in Northwest.

More Info. Seats are limited, so make sure to RSVP!

"Out of the closet and into the arcade! Gaming In Color is a full length documentary of the story of the queer gaming community, gaymer culture and events, and the rise of LGBTQ themes in video games."

Bring a small something to share for food or drink and see the documentary with community members of the Portland Indie Game Squad! There will be a sign on the door of our venue to help you find us.

For more information about the film, visit http://gamingincolor.vhx.tv/

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Portland has three seasons.

October - March: cold and wet
April - June: warm and wet
July - September: hot and dry

Doombear

Yes, much more like Kitten's version of rain. You can never let the rain know you know it's there. No blinking it out of your eyes, no umbrellas, none of this carrying around extra socks nonsense! If you let it trick you you have to move away. =(

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Yes, much more like Kitten's version of rain. You can never let the rain know you know it's there. No blinking it out of your eyes, no umbrellas, none of this carrying around extra socks nonsense! If you let it trick you you have to move away. =(
I'm born and raised in Portland and I bear my umbrella with pride.

Unless I'm biking. Then I just don my rain gear and hate life.

Doombear

I was trying to be sarcastic, kittens! Online. I know, I know. I love the rain, and love that there seem to be 'rules' about it that somehow mark you as less of a Portlander if you don't follow them when in fact, it is just a pile of shit.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I like how it's July and we're talking about rain.

I was trying to be sarcastic, kittens! Online. I know, I know. I love the rain, and love that there seem to be 'rules' about it that somehow mark you as less of a Portlander if you don't follow them when in fact, it is just a pile of shit.
Ah, okay :)

FyreWulff

I was in Vancouver BC for a bit so i know sadrain.gif

But for me, that's better than Nebraska's rain you can never be outside in because it's trying to kill you. To death.

As a side note, trying to find a reasonably priced window or even stand alone A/C unit seems to be futile. Anyone tried to make one of those build your own with a cooler? I can tolerate the heat relatively well but at night it would be nice - especially since its suppose to get to like 90 next week, yikes!

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
The forecast says it'll get up to 104 next week. We gonna die.

FyreWulff

Looking for a place. The room ads all borderline on either housing discrimination or people that don't want renters to live in the place they rent.

Top Bottom