• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Post your favorite controller / game combinations! Images please :)

boo7z

sfc_holding_soldier_pad.jpg
+
boxssf2t.jpg

=========

negcon.jpg
+
wipeout_xl.jpg

aoi tsuki

boo7z said:
+
boxssf2t.jpg

=========

negcon.jpg
+
wipeout_xl.jpg
Not to derail the thread, but how the HELL can anyone use the NeoG Con? i bought one from Gamestop becaus i customer wanted to rtade it in, and the trade-in value was only five bucks or so. After trying it with R4, i put it in my bin of controllers and never touched it again. Didn't know it worked with WOXL though. i'll have to give it a try sometime.

Gibbo

aoi tsuki said:
Not to derail the thread, but how the HELL can anyone use the NeoG Con? i bought one from Gamestop becaus i customer wanted to rtade it in, and the trade-in value was only five bucks or so. After trying it with R4, i put it in my bin of controllers and never touched it again. Didn't know it worked with WOXL though. i'll have to give it a try sometime.

Sorry to derail this thread. Who is that girl in your avatar?

aoi tsuki said:
It took me a couple of weeks to get used to mine. After that, though, it became second nature. The way your wrists and arms move when you use it seems to mimic the movements used when you're using a steering wheel. The range of movement possible with the controller allows for a lot more precision than I can get with an analog stick, and I love the analog shoulder and face buttons. I won't use anything else for R4 now.

Ar_

Sorry to add another small derailment.
Jiji, where is your avatar from? Looks nice, and thanks in advance.

Minotauro

Finds Purchase on Dog Nutz
ArcadeStickMonk said:

ARGH, I ordered an MAS stick like a month ago and I'm STILL WAITING. I'm really beginning to get angry. You would think that they would at least offer to upgrade my shipping but they just ignored me when I suggested it.

Minotauro said:
ARGH, I ordered an MAS stick like a month ago and I'm STILL WAITING. I'm really beginning to get angry. You would think that they would at least offer to upgrade my shipping but they just ignored me when I suggested it.
All I can say is that I called them before I ordered, I called them to placed the order, and I called them at the end of that week and the start of the next. They still got it to me a week later than originally stated, but I had less trouble with MAS than with Red Octane.

It probably helped them keep me in mind when I argued with Thao for about twenty minutes about how I wanted my stick made. Dude couldn't grasp that I wanted PS2 capability, but only needed six buttons.

I'll also add that I will destroy these things on sight.

Ryu

ASM-MAS-01.jpg

Fucking awesome arcade stick there Monk. How much did it cost in the end? Why would you not want an extra set of buttons at the end?

Thanks, but I didn't build it, just envisioned it.

With shipping, it cost me just shy of $300. But that's with 4 system support (PC\PS2\DC\XBOX) a Perfect 360 stick (extra $40) and I prolly threw some money away on expedited shipping. If you wanted this for SF3rd, it'd cost you around $100, but I heard that they stopped offering P360s...

This is my Street Fighter stick. SF plays with six buttons. In fact, NO fighter needs more than six buttons. I hate eight button arcade sticks. I hate having more buttons than the game needs or having them in the wrong layout. Pictured is my Street Fighters stick and my Soul Calibur stick, each perfectly equipped and arranged for one series. Look at the Punch and Kick graphics by each button, what would that look like with an extra pair just hanging out there?

Obviously I'm quite alone on this one, but any fighter that I'm really serious about gets it's own stick, with the buttons laid out proper. The universal eight button shit is behind me.

miyuru

$300??!

I wanted a MAS stick for 3S on Xbox, but I dunno. You mentioned it being only $100 for that..?

The crappy thing about buying a stick is that maybe it won't be compatible with later systems :-\

Ryu

Is the stick spot on accurate with no lag across all the platforms it was designed for? I had an x-arcade before, but there was lag through its adapters (owned an xbox and ps2 adapter) so I'm curious if it's spot on accurate with yours because I'm sick of lag through adapters. My game improved drastically going from the PS2 pad through adapters on the Dreamcast to a direct connection on the PS2 pad when SFAC came out on it. I just can't go back to using adapters again and I was looking to learn how to use a stick well before the game (SFAC) comes out on XBL here in the US.

J2 Cool

mumu said:

Man, that was pure bliss controlling this for the first time. Very first 3D game I ever felt and I never imagined it would feel so perfect. Played it on a kiosk in Toys R Us.. for hours. Then went to bed dreaming of x-mas.

miyuru said:
$300??!
I wanted a MAS stick for 3S on Xbox, but I dunno. You mentioned it being only $100 for that..?
The crappy thing about buying a stick is that maybe it won't be compatible with later systems :-\
Nearly $300, and I didn't even hesitate. You could get a MAS with a Happ competition stick for one system, say PS2, for about $100. Bet that would carry you through PS3 as well, but I'm just guessing.

Every arcade stick can be used on any system, as long as you view the actual stick and buttons seperate from the PCB. What many do is design a unit that attaches to external PCBs, contained in project boxes. So when a new system comes out, all you have to do is hack and wire up the system's controller in a new PCB box and you can use your existing arcade unit, as-is and lagless, on the new system. JiJi did it!

Ryu said:
Is the stick spot on accurate with no lag across all the platforms it was designed for?
It is PERFECT on Dreamcast and Playstation. I used the bold and caps there to dismiss any fears you could have. I have this same lag-phobia too; I own X-Arcades, I know how it is.

The PC support is straight broken and wasa waste of money, and the XBOX support comes from a unique adaptor sold by MAS for the PS2 cord. This adaptor, while fundamentaly dirty (adaptors ain't good, yo), does in fact deliver lagless play. However my adaptor, and those of enough others to cause worry, have a habit of dropping the signal for a fraction of a second.

Truthfully, if the XBOX games I play with it didn't auto-pause when a controller is removed, then I probably wouldn't have even noticed it. As it is, when I play DOA:U online, I have to be ready to hit the start button at any time to quell the menu pop-up. This issue effects people in different degrees, some a lot, some a little, some none. With mine, I'll see the issue every time I play. at least four times an hour. I've been meaning to remedy the situation; I still trust MAS to make an adaptor that works, I just got a lemon.

I'll close by reiterating that the Dreamcast and Playstation support is indeed spot-on, in case you still had doubts. I don't even need to configure anything when I play Street Fighter on DC.

ourumov

snes_controller.jpg

vStreet_Fighter_Zero_2_Alpha.jpg

OMG...I would kill for a SNES controller adapter for the actual systems. Playing 3rd Strike with the SNES controller would be awesome. It was the best controller ever :).
For now I can just use it with the PC/SNES...I hope they emulate CPS3 soon.

Ryu

Truthfully, if the XBOX games I play with it didn't auto-pause when a controller is removed, then I probably wouldn't have even noticed it. As it is, when I play DOA:U online, I have to be ready to hit the start button at any time to quell the menu pop-up. This issue effects people in different degrees, some a lot, some a little, some none. With mine, I'll see the issue every time I play. at least four times an hour. I've been meaning to remedy the situation; I still trust MAS to make an adaptor that works, I just got a lemon.

That kind of worries me. The chief reason for me getting this would be to play SFAC over live competitively. Are there better designed adapters without any lag at all? That's really my only concern here.

Ryu said:
That kind of worries me. The chief reason for me getting this would be to play SFAC over live competitively. Are there better designed adapters without any lag at all? That's really my only concern here.
I've said this many times: There is no off-the-shelf Xbox arcade stick solution that I think is perfect. If my MAS adaptor didn't futz around I suppose I might not say that, but I dig that you and I are in agreement that adaptors are straight evil. As long as there is something between your input and the game execution, are you going to trust it for frame counting and parrying?

You don't have to walk far down this road to realize that building your own units is the way to go. You should get in the car.

Ryu

I've said this many times: There is no off-the-shelf Xbox arcade stick solution that I think is perfect. If my MAS adaptor didn't futz around I suppose I might not say that, but I dig that you and I are in agreement that adaptors are straight evil. As long as there is something between your input and the game execution, are you going to trust it for frame counting and parrying?

It's the parrying that I am concered with specifically. It's such an important part of my gaming (yes, i can block and I do plenty -- but parrying just puts you at that much more of an advantage over the competition if you can do it really well) and after fighing for years with the Dreamcast to PS2 adapters on the DC and after tasting the flawless execution on a direct connection, I can never go back. I assume for having a stick built, the best place to look is on the shoryuken forums still, no?

02.jpg

+
B00030GSDK.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

You know, the EyeToy compilations so far were pretty gimmickly, but this one is pretty professional and advanced in sense of technical implentation. I've seen it live and some of the games really, really rock.

Ryu said:
I assume for having a stick built, the best place to look is on the shoryuken forums still, no?
For having one built for you, yeah I agree with that. Those guys have to be getting overloaded by now though, at least the really good ones.

Whatever you get built, tell them you want the PCB to be external, connectable via a 15 or 25 pin serial cable, the project box method, they should know what you're talking about. That way, all you have to do is get another PCB box built and your stick can be used on past and future platforms.

Go with a six button layout, ok? For me.

ohamsie

I LOVE this controller, I own MegaMan X with it. I don't hold it the same way as the picture though, I hold it using some kind of Eagle claw technique I developed.

Lazy8s

The ghost of Dreamcast past
The freedom and gracefulness of flying in NiGHTS translated by the fluid precision of the Saturn's 3D Control Pad.

3dpad.gif

nights-square.jpg

^^^ Yeah, I was waiting for that ^^^

The game is no where near as detailed as the controller, and the graphics, while good, are a far cry from the above mock screen shot. Or maybe its just filters, either way Steel Battalion has worse pop-in than the old Driver games.

Lazy8s

The ghost of Dreamcast past
There are other examples of a great control mechanic in a game being realized through its controller: Sonic the Hedgehog flowed great on the Genesis pads, the slim profile of the Dreamcast's controller was perfect for coordinating the face buttons and the triggers for Crazy Dash moves in Crazy Taxi, and the DC pad also worked with Virtua Tennis for a finely honed experience (and incredibly allowed the game to be very playable off the VMU screen without even needing a TV.)

Top Bottom