• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[PR] Japanese Developers Prepare 64 Games for Nintendo DS

brandonnn

BEAUTY&SEXY
Lost Weekend said:
Rakugaki means graffiti, right?

It would be cool if Konami brought back the franchise and added the ability to draw your own character with the touchscreen. Then maybe you could wirelessly trade your character creations with other NDS users.

I understand it more as like "scribble" than graffiti, but it's all basically along the same lines.

Rakugaki Oukoku/Magic Pengel is essentially exactly what you're describing, though not a 2D fighter as with Rakugaki Kids. The first Oukoku had you draw your own characters and use them to battle others in an arena, with a paper-rock-scissors type ruleset. The second, Tensai Bit-Kun: Gramon Battle, was another arena battle, and the third, Rakugaki Oukoku 2 will be an action rpg where you design your own characters. Ancient/Sega's Kaijyu no Shima (Amazing Island, coming out in the West for the Cube on the 24th of this month) used the same 3d sketch design tool, only you run your monsters through a series of minigames, rather than arena battles.

A stylus controlled DS version is the perfect fit, for as nice as the analog controlled sketching is, and hopefully will support wireless battling/trading as you suggest.

You can give an early version of the 3d sketch tech used in all of the games a run through at http://www-ui.is.s.u-tokyo.ac.jp/~takeo/teddy/teddy/teddy.html -- a Java window should automatically open.

GDGF

Soothsayer
That would be completely badass! Killer app, maybe? I will definitely be keeping my eye on that one.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Castlevania. Dragon Quest Monsters, Seiken Densetsu, Boktai, Game Arts RPG, Namco RPG.

Holy fucking shit.

Soul4ger

Mejilan said:
Castlevania. Dragon Quest Monsters, Seiken Densetsu, Boktai, Game Arts RPG, Namco RPG.

Holy fucking shit.

This man speaks the truth. The support is even better than I expected, and I had high hopes. My guess is that the Japanese development community really believes that this could help get the industry out of its funk.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Harvest Moon! Dynasty Warriors! Survival Kids! Koie Strategy Simulator! Viewtiful Joe! Awesome!!

Top Bottom