• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Predator: 30 Years of the Manliest Handshake and Sexual Tyrannosaurus

One of my all time favorite action movies!

I remember so well seeing this for the first time. I was 12 years old, my friend had a TV in his room, with a VHS player.
He secretly took the Predator tape from his dads room and we watched it in my friends room.

Scared the fuck out of me (especially the skinned bodies) but it was SO awesome. Dat heat vision, dat targeting system.

Yeah same here pretty much. Saw the movie at about the same age, was actually kind of an adrenaline rush that i still fondly remember.

MutFox

Banned
This movie must have been amazing for 1st time theatre watchers.
The trailer doesn't really give away the Predator.
Just seems like some war flick with Arnie.
Unlike trailers today that spoil most of the film in chronological order.

Must have been such a twist for them.
I hope there's a movie with a twist like that in the near future, that's not given away in the trailers.

I would greatly appreciate it.

Cheerilee

I think the implication was that Billy cracked because of losing his friends and wanted payback. Kind of a "death wish" sort of thing.

Billy was scared, and he "doesn't get scared". He knew better than anyone that everyone was going to die (he calmly said as much), but what bothered him was being afraid about it.

The log bridge choke-point was his way to stop running and confront his fear, knowing the Predator would have to go through him in a straightforward way. He knew he wasn't going to win, but this was how he wanted to die.

Also why cut your own chest with a machete?
Focusing his runaway mind, for the task at hand. Like slapping a hysterical person across the face.

Madao

whats the deal with the compound attack sequence? some second unit directed that, right? not at all shot or edited like the rest of the film and it stands out more as i rewatch it

yep. they had a different director do that sequence. it was precisely to show the contrast between the arnold team in action against the rest of the movie where they get hunted down.

Dom Brunt

Pretty much my most worshipped film after Alien. Fucking LOVE Bill Duke in this especially. I even once deliberately named this as my favorite movie over Alien to a snooty elitist drama teacher just to tell him all the ways how it's perfect and watch him shake his head in disbelief. Good times.

dl77

Billy was scared, and he "doesn't get scared". He knew better than anyone that everyone was going to die (he calmly said as much), but what bothered him was being afraid about it.

The log bridge choke-point was his way to stop running and confront his fear, knowing the Predator would have to go through him in a straightforward way. He knew he wasn't going to win, but this was how he wanted to die.

Yup, that's exactly how I viewed it.

dKRfmk1.gif

dl77

Crazy how we got three of the best 'man' films ever made in the same year with Predator, Robocop and Lethal Weapon all coming out in '87.

The thing I liked best about Predator was it was the first time I'd seen a film where I thought someone(thing) could genuinely beat the sh*t out of Arnie.

watched this again recently, it definitely holds up, one of the greatest 80s macho action films of all time. i love how Arnold has to loose all his technology, all the weapons, and start from scratch. just incredible.

T8SC

Here we are again bro, same kinda room, same kinda movie. 1987 remember? Whole buncha movies chopped into plastic, we walk out with Predator, just you & me, nobody else, not a scratch on the disc, not a fuck'n scratch.

Spladam

The movie is so good, I've watched it dubbed in languages I don't understand. One of the pinnacles of my childhood's movie experiences. It changed how I looked at movies.

entremet

Damn, I miss 80s bro action films. Such a fun era, especially if you were a young boy (or girl) who loved this stuff.

EGM1966

Yah they really don't make 'em like this anymore. GOAT. Like Alien they never really manged to extend the franchise properly but damn the original remains a gold platted classic.

T8SC

Like Alien they never really manged to extend the franchise properly but damn the original remains a gold platted classic.

Did IQ's just drop sharply whilst I was away? Maybe you haven't been keeping up with current events but Aliens is a goddamn classic man.

EGM1966

Did IQ's just drop sharply whilst I was away? Maybe you haven't been keeping up with current events but Aliens is a goddamn classic man.

Well yeah but I wasn't going to spoil my narrative saying Alien and Aliens. I consider both GOAT titles too.

TBH after Covenant there's been so many disappointing entries Alien/Aliens merge in my mind as a single great entity.

I'm hoping the Predators revamp is good though.

Damn I legit thought this was a thread about Trump being a sexual predator and his weird fucking wannabe superior handshake

Im straight shook that it is not

The making of is on YouTube is worth viewing
someone explains how Arnie pranked Jessie Ventura.
And the original predator test footage was hilarously awful. Which was good as it forced the studio to pay to do it right.

Raptomex

They had a screening of this late last year at a theater near me. I took my cousin and met up with two of my friends. It was a great time and my cousin never saw it before. I own it on blu-ray but there's something about seeing films like this on the big screen. One of the best action movies ever made. Arnie is the greatest action star.

Brilliant film and strong characterization on the ensemble.

Something else, this movie just bleeds atmosphere. The Jungle foley, the humidity, you feel it.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
Well yeah but I wasn't going to spoil my narrative saying Alien and Aliens. I consider both GOAT titles too.

TBH after Covenant there's been so many disappointing entries Alien/Aliens merge in my mind as a single great entity.

I'm hoping the Predators revamp is good though.

I'm hoping they get Arnie on board. Think there was talk of it at some point.

What a time to have been alive in 87. Predator, Lethal Weapon, and RoboCop. 3 of the greatest films ever made.

I wanted Mac's mini-gun so badly after he leveled an entire forest with it.

Aztec_82

Here we are again bro, same kinda room, same kinda movie. 1987 remember? Whole buncha movies chopped into plastic, we walk out with Predator, just you & me, nobody else, not a scratch on the disc, not a fuck'n scratch.

Bravo 👏

Top Bottom