• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Predict your personal game of the year for 2004

Leviathan

Banned
Let me begin by saying that I don't care what the mags, sites, etc. say what GOTY 2004 is. Fuck them.

I think my GOTY will end up being Metroid Prime 2.

What do you think yours will be?

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
god, between paper mario driller land katamari and phantom brave its a tough decision. All four of those games are now in my "favorite games of all time" category.

I choose not to choose.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Is it not possible to get hyped about a game but still get blown away by it? It's best for me to go into games without getting hyped

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Metal Gear Solid 3 or possibly Gran Turismo 4.

San Andreas, R&C: Up Your Arsenal, or SW: Kotor 2.

Kotor 1 is still my overall favorite game of this gen, so I'd say Kotor 2 has the early edge, but that could easily change.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say Half Life 2. I didn't really play Half Life or CS much, but HL2 looks amazing from what little I have seen of it. I bought a new with it being one of the main games in mind.

I'll also say that even though its an expansion pack, Call Of Duty United Offensive is one of the finest games I've played all year. I'ms peaking specifically about the multiplayer aspect. Its like they took the best parts of BF (aside from the planes) and combined it with the great infantry combat of COD. The explosions and just teh shere amount of things blowing up on some of the maps (Foy, Berlin) are among the most intense gaming experiences I've ever had.

If HL2 dissapoints, I'd probably go with UT2K4. Its about as good as it could have been. Still, I might take United Offensive over UT2K4, expansion or not.

hgplayer1

Wario64 said:
Is it not possible to get hyped about a game but still get blown away by it? It's best for me to go into games without getting hyped

ah, I see where youre coming from now.

I think Halo 2 will end up being my game of the year which kind of disappoints me. even though sequels are always "bigger and better" Id rather have my game of the year be something that surprised me. unless my memory sucks I dont remember any games doing that this year for me.

I predict my game of the year is going to be Half-Life 2 (PC)

Followed by Metroid Prime 2: Echoes (GCN) and Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas (PS2)

hobart

I WANT it to be MGS3.

It'll prolly end up being either Half-Life 2 or WoW.

I don't think Halo 2 will be able to be that great of a Multiplayer game, to be honest. The first was terribly flawed in the Multiplayer aspect and when compared to MULTI HOUNDS like HL2 and WoW... it really won't compare.

It's unfortunate... but the only games I replay nowadays are games that are considerably wonderful online (and I don't need to pay for HL2 Multi).

Bristow

Banned
So far it's a tie between Paper Mario 2 and Pikmin 2, but I'm sure Echoes will end up being my 'GOTY.'

Some stiff competition though with a variety of titles being capable of suprising me. I'm not a fan of the first Halo, but the sequel looks like it could be exceptional.

jarrod

Banned
Y'know it's kinda sad... out of everything I've played this year, I had the most fun with the Zelda 1 GBA rerelease... and it terms of upcoming stuff, I find myself most excited about Super Mario 64 DS... old games > new games? :/

Dilbert

As of this moment, it's UT2k4...and it's going to take a lot to change that vote.

EDIT: Nevermind, I just decided that I hate that fucking piece of shit game, and plan to never play it again.

mashoutposse

Ante Up
This holiday season is turning out to be one of the best ever. At the moment, I cannot decide between GT4, GTA SA, MGS3, Halo 2, and Halflife 2. If I absolutely had to predict, I would say GT4 + DF Pro Wheel. If we're talking about the game alone sans accessories, I would put my money on GTA SA.

sonycowboy said:
I'd expect MGS3, however currently it's Sly 2

yeah Sly 2 is good. I am mission 2 right now (in India) put 3 or 4 hours into it yesterday

BTW I was wondering what do the green bottles do? I collected like 27 of em in the first level!

Doom_Bringer said:
yeah Sly 2 is good. I am mission 2 right now (in India) put 3 or 4 hours into it yesterday

BTW I was wondering what do the green bottles do? I collected like 27 of em in the first level!

If you get all of them (it's always 30, I think), Bentley gives you the combination to the vault in the bosses headquarters and you get a signature Sly move. Some of them are really, really cool, although none are required.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
Most definetly Halo2.

I can not even imagine the amount of mulitplayer time I will log with this game before the end of the year.

Note: We have a big mulitplayer session planned for Nov 12th. 7 projectors, 7 Xboxes 14 people. Two people to a screen. Smallest screen will be approximately 80 inches. Very good time. We could have 16 people but we don't have any more projectors.

sonycowboy said:
If you get all of them (it's always 30, I think), Bentley gives you the combination to the vault in the bosses headquarters and you get a signature Sly move. Some of them are really, really cool, although none are required.

ahh! Thanks

Drakken

That's a tough question. It'll probably be Halo 2, although I expect great things from the DS and some of its' first-party games. Wario Ware DS is a contender, if it actually comes out before the end of the year.

COCKLES

being watched
Well I expect HL2 / Halo 2 to take that slot.

But so far...Riddick, Fable, Outrun 2, Burnout 3 have all kept me throughly entertained.

For me,

Metroid Prime 2
Halo 2
Paper Mario 2
Super Mario 64 DS

all have a chance along with these games that I have played

Fable
Tales of Symphonia

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
Halo 2 and GTA: SA. It's the year of the major sequel and I think the two biggest will fulfill not only my diverse gaming desires, but those of the buying public who are going to buy the titles in incredible numbers. They will be the new benchmarks for GA and retarded threads about how overrated they are, etc. etc. but will be remembered as some of the high points of this generation.

Top Bottom