• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Preparing the ultimate backlog for ps5 pro

Hi,

Long time gamer here (started with Pong at the local arcade booth...).
My last gaming machine was a PS4 pro, purchased on launch something like 8 years ago.
Haven't been playing much since ps5 launched as I was waiting for the inevitable pro. I pre-ordered it for the launch on november 7th.

So I prepared a backlog of games I plan to play.
I'm 50, quite a busy life so I play something like 3 hours par week on average. I stopped psplus a while ago cause "free" games where just increasing my backlog and I prefer to pay to play top games and not average ones. I may have to resubscribe for SF6 though.

So here is my list.
I put in front of each the average playtime I gathered from howlongtobeat com.

At any moment
- I plan to have only max 3 games not completed to I'll buy progressively
- I should alternate different style of games.

I absolutely hate grinding or fillers.

So if anyone has s some time :
- cut the crap of the list : tell me which games aren't really that good in the list.
- do some extra recommandations on gems I should play (by the way I loved stuff such as journey, until dawn, limbo, abzu ...)
- tell me I. Which order I should play them.

I should be fine for 4 years of gaming, the rest will be for games not yet released in the next 4 years. (Plan to keep my ps5 pro 8-10 years).

Thanks !

elden ring - 59 hours
Baldur's gate 3 - 68 hours
god of war ragnarok - 26 hours
hades - 23 hours
horizon forbidden west - 28 hours
returnal - 19 hours
final fantasy 7 -1 - 32 hours
final fantasy 7 - 2 - 46 hours
demon's soul - 24 hours
sackboy big adventure - 11 hours
cocoon - 5 hours
the last of us part 2 - 23 hours
disco elyseum - 23 hours
cyberpunk 2077 - 38 hours
death stranding - 37 hours
resident evil 4 - 16 hours
final fantasy 16 - 37 hours
dead space - 12 hours
gran turismo 7 - 25 hours
alan wake 2 - 18 hours
spiderman 2 - 17 hours
street fighter 6 - 32 hours
prince of persia the lost crown - 16 hours
deathloop - 16 hours
ghost of tsushima - 25 hours
it takes two - 14 hours
tunic - 12 hours
astro's playromm - 3 hours
sifu - 8 hours
kena bridge of spirits - 10 hours
sea of stars - 28 hours
stray - 5 hours
the quarry - 9 hours
astrobot - 10 hours

775 hours in total

Last edited:

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
This is an excellent list. Good luck getting through them!

I don’t have too much to add, only play It Takes Two if you’re playing 2-player. Other than that, treat yourself by starting with Astro Bot! It’s easily my favorite game on that list, with Baldur’s Gate as a close second.

This is an excellent list. Good luck getting through them!

I don’t have too much to add, only play It Takes Two if you’re playing 2-player. Other than that, treat yourself by starting with Astro Bot! It’s easily my favorite game on that list, with Baldur’s Gate as a close second.
Thanks. I don't know if playing right away the best game is the right thing to do. When I bought my PS3 slim, I started with God of War 3 and It spoiled me a little bit.

Dorfdad

Gold Member
Astrobot
Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart
HellDiver II
Persona 5 Royal
Rise of Ronin
Black Myth Wutang :)

That’s my addons

Astrobot
Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart
HellDiver II
Persona 5 Royal
Rise of Ronin
Black Myth Wutang :)

That’s my addons
Hi, thanks for that !

- I already had astrobot on my list ( last position)
- is the new ratchet any good ? I loved back in the days A crack in time and have been disappointed with new entries since and thought the series was going downwards. Maybe wrong though
- I usually don't play FPS (except Titanfall 2 which I loved).
- ok for persona 5
- rise of the ronin : is it the one from team ninja ? I could not get on Nioh but that may be different.
- back myth wutang : I loved back in the days castelvania lords of shadow (except it's poor performance...). Is it comparable?

Dorfdad

Gold Member
Hi, thanks for that !

- I already had astrobot on my list ( last position)
- is the new ratchet any good ? I loved back in the days A crack in time and have been disappointed with new entries since and thought the series was going downwards. Maybe wrong though
- I usually don't play FPS (except Titanfall 2 which I loved).
- ok for persona 5
- rise of the ronin : is it the one from team ninja ? I could not get on Nioh but that may be different.
- back myth wutang : I loved back in the days castelvania lords of shadow (except it's poor performance...). Is it comparable?
Yes it’s really good ratchet and clank game best in a long time

Black Myth is the Elden ring type game where you play as a monkey really good and really hard at times!

I feel those times are over ambitious to finish some of those games tbh
I took the times from howlongtobeat.com.
I so hated side missions in Spiderman (first one) that, except for select exceptions, I do not play side missions that are sometimes fillers).

But yeah, those tiled are maybe too short. I don't know, I haven't played the games...yet 😁

What games do you tend to like? That’s going to whittle down the list considerably
I like a wide range of types of games. It can go from arcadey (super stardust), 3 rd person adventure (God of war,...), unique style (heavy rain, journey, abzu), versus fighting (sf5 up to now), racing (world #1 fan of motor storm Pacific rift here), some RPGs, TPS (but do 't know any good playable on console). What I generally don't like : FPS, soccer / sports games, standard open world (assassin's creed, etc. ). I love good platformer and stuff like until dawn too.

Matt_Fox

It's a good list, my one suggestion would be to play them chronologically in order they were released.

1. you'll retain a better sense of gaming history and see some graphical progression.
2. the older games get, the cheaper they get.

ap_puff

Thanks. I don't know if playing right away the best game is the right thing to do. When I bought my PS3 slim, I started with God of War 3 and It spoiled me a little bit.
Btw you are far underestimating the time needed to complete FF16, it took me around 90 hours and even if you rush through and do none of the sidequests i have a hard time believing it will come in under 50

Markio128

Gold Member
You should have a good time no matter where you start with from that list. The following is my reason for upgrading from base PS5 to PS5 Pro.

I have a list of games that I’ve either completed once, and now I’m just waiting for the Pro to start NG+ (FF7:R, Stellar Blade, for example), or I haven’t finished because they run a bit shit on base PS5 (Dragon’s Dogma 2, Alan Wake 2, for example).

Then there are ongoing games that I always play (and have no issue with how they currently run), but looking forward to the Pro improvements, such as GT7 and NMS.

Having a great backlog is the dream scenario.

Mibu no ookami

Demoted Member® Pro™
My backlog though not all of them will be pro enhanced, I do already own but haven't played upwards of half of these games

Alan Wake Remastered
Alan Wake 2
Armored Core 6
Black Myth Wukong
Control
Chained Echoes
Cyberpunk 2077
Dead Space Remake
Death Stranding Director's Cut
Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth
Final Fantasy 16
Hogwarts Legacy
Horizon Forbidden West
Kena Bridge of Spirits
Legacy of Kain Soul Reaver 1 and 2 Remastered
Octopath Traveller 1 and 2
Prince of Persia The Lost Crown
Resident Evil 2
Resident Evil 3
Resident Evil 4
Returnal
Resident Evil Village
Shin Megami Tensei V
Sea of Stars
Sifu
Witcher 3
Valkyrie Profile

Games I have to finish
Batman Arkham Collection
Demon's Souls
Persona 3
Persona 4 (though might wait til a remake)
Yakuza Kiwami Zero (will determine whether I play the rest of the series)

Potential Replays depending on boost mode improvements and PS5 Pro patches

Final Fantasy 7 Intergrade
God of War
God of War Ragnarok
TLOUP1 Remake*
TLOUP2 Remastered*
Horizon Zero Dawn Remastered*
Shadow of the Colossus**

*technically not replays since I haven't played these versions
**know this isn't getting boosted

Games that I can't wait to play in the future

Day 1 Games
Ghost of Yotei
Phantom Blade Zero

Not Day 1 Games
Death Stranding 2
Silent Hill 2
Metal Gear Solid Delta
Until Dawn

If they release a wireless PSVR2

Gran Turismo 7
Ace Combat 8 (if it comes out with full VR)

Btw you are far underestimating the time needed to complete FF16, it took me around 90 hours and even if you rush through and do none of the sidequests i have a hard time believing it will come in under 50
It'sn ot me. The estimated time comes directly from the site howlongtobeat.com

Lunarorbit

Hi,

Long time gamer here (started with Pong at the local arcade booth...).
My last gaming machine was a PS4 pro, purchased on launch something like 8 years ago.
Haven't been playing much since ps5 launched as I was waiting for the inevitable pro. I pre-ordered it for the launch on november 7th.

So I prepared a backlog of games I plan to play.
I'm 50, quite a busy life so I play something like 3 hours par week on average. I stopped psplus a while ago cause "free" games where just increasing my backlog and I prefer to pay to play top games and not average ones. I may have to resubscribe for SF6 though.

So here is my list.
I put in front of each the average playtime I gathered from howlongtobeat com.

At any moment
- I plan to have only max 3 games not completed to I'll buy progressively
- I should alternate different style of games.

I absolutely hate grinding or fillers.

So if anyone has s some time :
- cut the crap of the list : tell me which games aren't really that good in the list.
- do some extra recommandations on gems I should play (by the way I loved stuff such as journey, until dawn, limbo, abzu ...)
- tell me I. Which order I should play them.

I should be fine for 4 years of gaming, the rest will be for games not yet released in the next 4 years. (Plan to keep my ps5 pro 8-10 years).

Thanks !

elden ring - 59 hours
Baldur's gate 3 - 68 hours
god of war ragnarok - 26 hours
hades - 23 hours
horizon forbidden west - 28 hours
returnal - 19 hours
final fantasy 7 -1 - 32 hours
final fantasy 7 - 2 - 46 hours
demon's soul - 24 hours
sackboy big adventure - 11 hours
cocoon - 5 hours
the last of us part 2 - 23 hours
disco elyseum - 23 hours
cyberpunk 2077 - 38 hours
death stranding - 37 hours
resident evil 4 - 16 hours
final fantasy 16 - 37 hours
dead space - 12 hours
gran turismo 7 - 25 hours
alan wake 2 - 18 hours
spiderman 2 - 17 hours
street fighter 6 - 32 hours
prince of persia the lost crown - 16 hours
deathloop - 16 hours
ghost of tsushima - 25 hours
it takes two - 14 hours
tunic - 12 hours
astro's playromm - 3 hours
sifu - 8 hours
kena bridge of spirits - 10 hours
sea of stars - 28 hours
stray - 5 hours
the quarry - 9 hours
astrobot - 10 hours

775 hours in total
Nice, we've got similar tastes. Playing just 3 hours a week will limit you but you don't have a problem making time for elden ring and baldurs gate which is great. Those are bangers obviously.

I'd say any of the resident evil games would be a starter cause they are medium sized and there's different styles. Maybe try re7; it's in 1st person and pretty cheap.

Tunic and hades are on the smaller side too and I really enjoyed them. Dredge or deaths door are like minded games.

I always bang the drum for ghost of tsushima and days gone. 2 of my Top 5 ps4 games

Lunarorbit

My backlog though not all of them will be pro enhanced, I do already own but haven't played upwards of half of these games

Alan Wake Remastered
Alan Wake 2
Armored Core 6
Black Myth Wukong
Control
Chained Echoes
Cyberpunk 2077
Dead Space Remake
Death Stranding Director's Cut
Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth
Final Fantasy 16
Hogwarts Legacy
Horizon Forbidden West
Kena Bridge of Spirits
Legacy of Kain Soul Reaver 1 and 2 Remastered
Octopath Traveller 1 and 2
Prince of Persia The Lost Crown
Resident Evil 2
Resident Evil 3
Resident Evil 4
Returnal
Resident Evil Village
Shin Megami Tensei V
Sea of Stars
Sifu
Witcher 3
Valkyrie Profile

Games I have to finish
Batman Arkham Collection
Demon's Souls
Persona 3
Persona 4 (though might wait til a remake)
Yakuza Kiwami Zero (will determine whether I play the rest of the series)

Potential Replays depending on boost mode improvements and PS5 Pro patches

Final Fantasy 7 Intergrade
God of War
God of War Ragnarok
TLOUP1 Remake*
TLOUP2 Remastered*
Horizon Zero Dawn Remastered*
Shadow of the Colossus**

*technically not replays since I haven't played these versions
**know this isn't getting boosted

Games that I can't wait to play in the future

Day 1 Games
Ghost of Yotei
Phantom Blade Zero

Not Day 1 Games
Death Stranding 2
Silent Hill 2
Metal Gear Solid Delta
Until Dawn

If they release a wireless PSVR2

Gran Turismo 7
Ace Combat 8 (if it comes out with full VR)
Forgot to mention control too!!! A sequel is coming and it's related to the other remedy games

nnytk

Death Stranding is one of the most, if not most memorable and immersive gaming experiences I've had.

So happy you're gonna try it.

I don't think I saw Stellar Blade or Dragons Dogma 2, I would add those. I haven't played a lot of games these past years, I'm getting a pro too and the two games above + Astrobot are high priority for me 😁

Death Stranding is one of the most, if not most memorable and immersive gaming experiences I've had.

So happy you're gonna try it.

I don't think I saw Stellar Blade or Dragons Dogma 2, I would add those. I haven't played a lot of games these past years, I'm getting a pro too and the two games above + Astrobot are high priority for me 😁
Yeah, death stranding being released in 2019 will be one of the first game I play on my ps5 pro.

Regarding stellar blade, why not ? I loved Nier Automata. How does it compare to it ?

nnytk

Yeah, death stranding being released in 2019 will be one of the first game I play on my ps5 pro.

Regarding stellar blade, why not ? I loved Nier Automata. How does it compare to it ?

Death Stranding is a different beast though, very unique, the gameplay has some Truck Sim vibes to it. A lot of management and "sim" gameplay. But the atmosphere and story, are on a other level.

Stellar Blade, I honestly don't know I'm just going with my gut feeling on this. Haven't played it but I think it will be the perfect type of gaming comfort food, with some top tier sci-fi kitsch.

Alpha Male

Horizon Remaster at launch

Hogwarts (2nd playthrough) start Thanksgiving week

Astrobot for Christmas

Jedi Survivor (2nd playthrough)

Final Fantasy Rebirth

Returnal

As far as other games I've already finished but want to hopefully play again on the Pro:

God of War & Ragnarok
Horizon Forbidden West
Dragon's Dogma 2
Spider Man & Miles Morales
Ghost of Tsushima

Last edited:
Top Bottom