• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands |OT|

My mind is still blown about some 8-bit video game being made into a major Hollywood motion picture some 25 years later. That is so random.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
nico said:
what happened to nolan north? *not buying*
No doubt he'll be voicing the sequel to PoP 2008.
Anyway, if the preview is any indication this will be a pretty solid game. Nothing incredible, and certainly not the best looking game of this gen, but still a fun time. I expect reviews to be around 80%.

There's a demo of the DS version on the Nintendo Channel for anyone who wants to try it.

Touch controls only took a little getting used to, it's hard to avoid obstacles due to the timing and the game doesn't look very good.

fernoca

speculawyer said:
My mind is still blown about some 8-bit video game being made into a major Hollywood motion picture some 25 years later. That is so random.
Not that random..
The basis and the reason of the movie were the more recent games..as so are most of the nods, like the Prince wearing (at one moment) the costume of the 2008 game.

Plus people in Hollywood has been grabbing and securing rights to as much videogames as they can (Galaga, Space Invaders...)..looking for the "next comic books like blockbusters"..with WB even buying the game creators/team just to fully own the rights to Mortal Kombat.

Bluth54

I'm glad to see the Wii version is a different game then the HD versions, that's something I was hoping to see happen often then generation but it's been pretty rare so far.
I imagine I'll get both the 360 version and the Wii version after a price drop or two.

BluWacky

Dead Man Typing said:
There's a demo of the DS version on the Nintendo Channel for anyone who wants to try it.

Touch controls only took a little getting used to, it's hard to avoid obstacles due to the timing and the game doesn't look very good.

The touch controls are probably the same as for 2008's The Fallen King, i.e. really irritating. The platforming wasn't too bad but the controls were pretty irritating; jumping when you don't want to etc. is not fun. So I'm avoiding this DS incarnation.

I'll be getting the 360 version on Friday; I'll probably pick up the PSP version when it comes down in price as I'm a sucker for 2 1/2D platformers.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
hmm... have to keep an eye on this one.

nico

Banned
Graphics look good enough will buy later (if gameplay isn't awful). Loved pop2008, never played any other pop games. But seriously what the hell Ubisoft tards there is no buzz about this game could not have put this out on a worse date this is a Sega-level fuck up right here.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Switched my Amazon PS3 preorder to Gamestop in order to get the exclusive DLC from them. The other three versions I'll still be getting via Amazon, however.

Anony

Sands of Time Storyline:
Prince of Persia The Sands of Time
*Prince of Persia The Forgotten Sands
Prince of Persia Warrior Within
Prince of Persia The Two Thrones

so how critical is the story

the only PoP i played is the prev one, which was its own thing, and i loved it

Zapages

Mejilan said:
Switched my Amazon PS3 preorder to Gamestop in order to get the exclusive DLC from them. The other three versions I'll still be getting via Amazon, however.

why dude, you could have gotten the arena mode through uplay rewards option.

Uplay

Actions:
Memories of Azad
Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands

Reach the thick of the battle
Solomon's Army

Release Solomon's Army
Not what it looks like

Defeat Ratash
Eye of the storm

Reach the final fight

Rewards:
Prince of Persia: TFS Theme

Unlock a Prince of Persia: TFS Theme
Experience Point Boost

Unlock enough additional experience for up to two new upgrades.
Ezio Costume

Play in Ezio's costume from Assassin's Creed II™. Check the Extras menu to activate this costume.
Challenge Mode Arena

Unlock a new arena in Challenge Mode.

Anony said:
so how critical is the story

the only PoP i played is the prev one, which was its own thing, and i loved it

Nobody really cares about the PoP stories, only for the characters.

So you can safely play this :D

Feeroper

Im trying to figure out what version to get! 360 or PS3. I picking up Alan Wake and the 360 version of Red Dead tommorrow, so I figured Id spread the love and get PoP on PS3, but that is all assuming there are no glaring differences between platforms. Anyone have any insight on this?

Have they shown any PS3 footage, or is it all 360? (I rememner PoP '08 they showed off a fair bit of PS3 stuff before release)

Xater

I don't know what this says about me, but I completely forgot this existed until I saw this thread. :lol

Does anyone know if the Collector's Edition (PS3/360 version) is in the US? Seems UK-only. Not coming up with anything from Gamestop/EB at least.

Zapages

jetsetfluken said:
Does anyone know if the Collector's Edition (PS3/360 version) is in the US? Seems UK-only. Not coming up with anything from Gamestop/EB at least.

Yep its UK/Europe only type of thing. :| Ubi EMEA rocks for them, but Ubi US has not done anything like this for us. :(

TripOpt55

No reviews yet huh? Was hoping to see some today. I am pretty excited. I was thinking of getting it at midnight if possible. I'll have to see how tired I am.

Zapages said:
Yeah I guess, but have you seen the PoP 2008's CE. That looked really nice. Oh well. :)

Didn't the US get two "collector's editions"? The LE and a CE? Maybe my memory is bad. All I know is the LE was just a boxed slipcover with the normal game inside, maybe some little extra digital download.

Zapages

jetsetfluken said:
Didn't the US get two "collector's editions"? The LE and a CE? Maybe my memory is bad. All I know is the LE was just a boxed slipcover with the normal game inside, maybe some little extra digital download.

CE edition had artbook, plus everything of LE version that we got.

Lakitu

st5fu
Will probably buy when it goes down in price. I must say, Prince of Persia 2008 was one of my guilty pleasures, magnificent art style. Is this one made by the same team? Will there actually be a sequel to POP 2008?

Zapages

Lakitu said:
Will probably buy when it goes down in price. I must say, Prince of Persia 2008 was one of my guilty pleasures, magnificent art style. Is this one made by the same team? Will there actually be a sequel to POP 2008?

Nope another team is working on it (Sequel to PoP 2008) right now... But they are not ready to show it to the public as they still narrowing down what worked and how to fix things that did not work in POP 2008.

PowderedToast

just watched the youtube vid and this looks a lot better than i thought. while it clearly shows signs of a short dev time, i get a serious kick out of seeing more sands of time-esque gameplay in HD. the water manipulation looks like a neat twist too. nice to see some creativity applied within the formula.

edit: does anyone know when the embargo lifts? it looks like the release date is this friday

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Game officially releases tomorrow in the U.S.
The ones I ordered from Amazon already shipped, and I'll be able to pick up the PS3 versions first thing tomorrow morning. (Gamestops already got the game, but aren't going to break street date).

mik

mik is unbeatable
Me too. But I'm taking solace in the fact that even the worst PoP games tend to be titles I really, really love. Can't wait to play it.

TripOpt55

I saw someone playing this on my Friends list on PS3. I was very jealous. Can't wait to play this tomorrow. I was hoping to see some reviews more so to just see how it will do as I would get it regardless. I actually played some of 08's PoP just for the heck of it earlier. I also replayed SoT in preparation for this the last couple of weeks. Should be fun.

daxter01

8/8/2010 Blackace was here
ok friend of mine got this(ps3 version) yes the game looks like a ps2 game in hd ,animations are ugly (but responsive) and combat is :lol but platforming parts are realy realy good, pop fans should buy this

Square Triangle said:
Where the fuck are the reviews? This worries me =(
It'll probably get 7's.

I have the game but havent played yet but from what I'm hearing - fantastic platforming, mediocre combat, decent graphics. Feels like the game was rushed but fans of SoT will like it.

Top Bottom