• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands |OT|

hetchi

MacBosse said:
I was seriously on the fence about this game but that video got me to rethink. I'll be geting this, love PoP when they get it right.

The video looked cool and the elemental powers seem like fun.

Square Triangle said:
An hour in and I love it, feels like I'm playing Sands of Time again. This does have its flaws but it more than makes up for the 2008 PoP.

That said, I'm going to pick up the game in a bit. Taking the leap of faith! I'll let y'all know how it is. =)

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
I picked up my copy of the PS3 version this morning before work.
My Wii, PSP, and DS games should be home by the time I get there, care of Amazon.

If you preordered the game at Gamestop, please keep in mind that the DLC voucher code is printed on your receipt. So don't toss it.

Feeroper

Can anyone confirm if the PS3 version runs well? FPS, screen tearing and the like? I preordered this for PS3, but want to make sure it is not inferior to the 360 in terms of performance (Im already getting Alan Wake and RDR for 360, so I thought Id get PoP for the PS3 to spread the love).

BluWacky

Mejilan said:
I picked up my copy of the PS3 version this morning before work.
My Wii, PSP, and DS games should be home by the time I get there, care of Amazon.

If you preordered the game at Gamestop, please keep in mind that the DLC voucher code is printed on your receipt. So don't toss it.

Which one are you going to play first? Hope you can give us impressions of all of them (not too demanding I hope?) - I do love the PoP franchise, even when the games are filled with bugs and generic angst or virtually play themselves...

Aladuf

Banned
Mejilan said:
Shit, seriously? I picked up my preorder from Gamestop today and I'm not seeing anything on the receipt that stands out as a DLC code.

I decided to sample Forgotten Sands last night after playing Alan Wake for a few hours. My intention was to just check out the opening cinema and get a feel for the controls. 3 hours later it was nearly 5am and I forced myself to go to sleep.:)

If you are a fan of the Sands of Time trilogy, I don't know how you let this sit on store shelves. Ubi has mined the vaults of nostalgia to bring you back the old control scheme with some minor nips and tucks to make things feel faster and more elegant. The old trick of having the camera sweep an area to show you your goal and all of the area that you have to traverse is as effective as ever at keeping your glued to the experience. The only place the game stumbles in relation to the gameplay is the hack and slash combat. It's always been a weak spot for the series and there's nothing here to change that. At least you get an impressive number of enemies on-screen to deal with and it is fun to play around with the available combos the Prince has in his repertoire.

Yuri hasn't lost his touch at voicing the Prince and making him completely likeable and charming. There is no Godsmack "emo" prince to deal with here. The game does miss out on some of the charm of Sands by not having the little flourishes like the "No, no it didn't happen like that" commentary when you reverse time. Considering the Prince narrates the experience much like the first game, I thought it would have been a fabulous throwback.

Visually the game looks solid. The Assassin's Creed engine is put to good use but doesn't shine at the level of Assassin's Creed 2. I would agree that there is missed opportunity here to make a visually arresting title but considering the time table and the fact that this game *WAS* released to coincide with the film - I think Montreal did a commendable job. The PS2 game in HD commentary is pure overstatement IMHO.

The same compliments go for the audio which captures the spirit of the original in many ways while adding a few heart pumping action themes that never seem out of place.

The highest compliment I can give the game is this: Playing it is like putting on an old comfortable pair of shoes. Yeah they don't look as cool as those other new fangled shoes sitting on store shelves and the laces have kind of frayed over time, but once you slip those suckers on? It just feels right and it feels DAMNED good.

PowderedToast

Futurevoid said:
I decided to sample Forgotten Sands last night after playing Alan Wake for a few hours. My intention was to just check out the opening cinema and get a feel for the controls. 3 hours later it was nearly 5am and I forced myself to go to sleep.:)

If you are a fan of the Sands of Time trilogy, I don't know how you let this sit on store shelves. Ubi has mined the vaults of nostalgia to bring you back the old control scheme with some minor nips and tucks to make things feel faster and more elegant. The old trick of having the camera sweep an area to show you your goal and all of the area that you have to traverse is as effective as ever at keeping your glued to the experience. The only place the game stumbles in relation to the gameplay is the hack and slash combat. It's always been a weak spot for the series and there's nothing here to change that. At least you get an impressive number of enemies on-screen to deal with and it is fun to play around with the available combos the Prince has in his repertoire.

Yuri hasn't lost his touch at voicing the Prince and making him completely likeable and charming. There is no Godsmack "emo" prince to deal with here. The game does miss out on some of the charm of Sands by not having the little flourishes like the "No, no it didn't happen like that" commentary when you reverse time. Considering the Prince narrates the experience much like the first game, I thought it would have been a fabulous throwback.

Visually the game looks solid. The Assassin's Creed engine is put to good use but doesn't shine at the level of Assassin's Creed 2. I would agree that there is missed opportunity here to make a visually arresting title but considering the time table and the fact that this game *WAS* released to coincide with the film - I think Montreal did a commendable job. The PS2 game in HD commentary is pure overstatement IMHO.

The same compliments go for the audio which captures the spirit of the original in many ways while adding a few heart pumping action themes that never seem out of place.

The highest compliment I can give the game is this: Playing it is like putting on an old comfortable pair of shoes. Yeah they don't look as cool as those other new fangled shoes sitting on store shelves and the laces have kind of frayed over time, but once you slip those suckers on? It just feels right and it feels DAMNED good.
this post has made me very happy, will definitely be picking this up. thanks for the impressions man

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I still can't get over how hideously awful the subtitle on the box art looks. It's like they took the most generic font they could find, colored it red, and called it a day.

And sure, they can claim that this isn't a movie tie-in all they want (I guess that's technically true, since it's not based on the movie), but I really doubt it's pure coincidence that it's released so close to the movie opening.

I loved SoT, but I'll wait for more reviews before I make a decision on this one.

kaskade

Nice to see some good impressions on here. I was a little worried for a while. Pretty freaking killer week for games. Alan Wake, Red Dead, Split/second, and this.

RoadHazard said:
And sure, they can claim that this isn't a movie tie-in all they want (I guess that's technically true, since it's not based on the movie), but I really doubt it's pure coincidence that it's released so close to the movie opening.
Of course it's released to coincide with the film. DUH. Welcome to movie merchandising 101.

Regardless, you'd be silly to think that Ubi just slapped on a generic Prince and called it a day. It's very much a sequel to the Sands trilogy. There's little to no effort to try and stick Jake Gylenhall's face onto the Prince or to do the normal movie tie-in nonsense that brings those games down (i.e. do a footnote version of the story in the film). It's only a tie-in in the sense that the box says Prince of Persia on it and the Prince's outfit matches the one seen in the film and Warrior Within. It stops there. If you're ignoring the game because of red font on a box or because it's released at the same time as the film? Your loss.

I've no doubt the game will score in the 7-8 range. Reviewers will both applaud and knock it for how slavish it is to the original trilogy. They'll also take issue with the combat. Fans who loved this style of Prince of Persia will appreciate the hell out of it though. I'm one of those fans and I also happen to be a fan of Prince of Persia '08 as well for totally different reasons.

kaskade said:
Nice to see some good impressions on here. I was a little worried for a while. Pretty freaking killer week for games. Alan Wake, Red Dead, Split/second, and this.
Yeah, to me it's definitely the craziest week of the year: I picked us this and the three you mentioned, plus I have Galaxy 2 coming next week. Should last me all summer.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Aladuf said:
Shit, seriously? I picked up my preorder from Gamestop today and I'm not seeing anything on the receipt that stands out as a DLC code.

Employees have to manually scan another bar code for the code to print out on your receipt. The person who rang you up probably forgot. Go back to the store with your receipt and tell them they forgot to scan the code. They should be able to give you one no problem.

Mejilan

BluWacky said:
Which one are you going to play first? Hope you can give us impressions of all of them (not too demanding I hope?) - I do love the PoP franchise, even when the games are filled with bugs and generic angst or virtually play themselves...

I'm keen on futzing around with the PS3 and Wii versions tonight, and perhaps the PSP version if I can squeeze it in. If not, then I'll play it during my morning commute to work tomorrow. In any event, I should have at least shallow impressions for 2 of them tonight, and perhaps a 3rd tomorrow. I'm not too keen on playing the DS game any time soon since it appears to look and control just like the last DS PoP. It wasn't terrible exactly, but it was the very definition of uninspired mediocrity.

Aladuf said:

Just pulled out my receipt again. The clerk highlighted it for me with a pink highlighter. It's underneath the details of the purchase (which includes confirmation that I picked up the $5 reserve order I had made yesterday), and before the TELL US HOW WE DID! survey shenanigans.
It reads:
Thank you for reserving Prince of Persia: Forgotten Sands.
Your unique Playstation 3 code is:

xxx-xxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx

Visit www.gamestop.com/code for instructions to activate your code.
Code expires on 12/31/10.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
PowderedToast said:
eurogamer review

6/10, the same that POP 08 got if i remember correctly

they criticise it for lack of creativity and relying too much on SOT nostalgia

Cmon now...the REAL reason for the low score is the lack of Nolan North right???

Zapages

Ign's review: 8/10: http://ps3.ign.com/articles/109/1090688p2.html

Closing Comments
Forgotten Sands is much better than the 2008 Prince of Persia, but still not as great as Sands of Time – the game it so obviously seeks to recapture the spirit of. The story and visuals are unimpressive, but the combat and platforming are good enough that anyone who's been longing for another PoP game since 2005's Two Thrones is in for a treat.

7.5 Presentation
Not the most polished PoP game to date, but the voice acting is still as good as ever.
7 Graphics
The graphics are all over the place, looking great at times and awful at others. Ubisoft can make great looking games, so what happened here?
8.0 Sound
The music is cool when it's around, and the original Prince voice actor is great.
8.0 Gameplay
The platforming is as fun as ever, and the combat really comes into its own by the end of the game.
7 Lasting Appeal
The game doesn't take that long to complete, and even with the Challenge mode I can't see people finding much reason to play it again.

1ups: B+: http://www.1up.com/do/reviewPage?cId=3179361&p=4

Xbox360Achievements: 75/100: http://www.xbox360achievements.org/game/prince-of-persia-the-forgotten-sands/review/

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!

Aladuf

Banned
ZealousD said:
Employees have to manually scan another bar code for the code to print out on your receipt. The person who rang you up probably forgot. Go back to the store with your receipt and tell them they forgot to scan the code. They should be able to give you one no problem.

Mejilan said:
Just pulled out my receipt again. The clerk highlighted it for me with a pink highlighter. It's underneath the details of the purchase (which includes confirmation that I picked up the $5 reserve order I had made yesterday), and before the TELL US HOW WE DID! survey shenanigans.
It reads:

xxx-xxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx

Seems like I've found my problem, thanks for the help guys.

Mejilan

Can someone please paste in the choice excerpts from the reviews?
Those links are blocked by my corporate filter.

Ffffffanks!

Majine

Banned
kaskade said:
Giant Bomb QL!!!

Watching it now. I think this will be my deciding factor.

Wow, this is like the most inconsistent game I've seen for a long time :lol

Why did they build waterpipes leading nowhere?
Why doesn't the buttons on the ground release when he jumps on it? Isn't it suppose to be his weight holding it downpressed?
Shouldn't timefrozen water still be liquid? Why does it behave lite solid? Like he can treat it like a regular pole...

etc.

Lijik

Majine said:
Wow, this is like the most inconsistent game I've seen for a long time :lol

Why did they build waterpipes leading nowhere?
Why doesn't the buttons on the ground release when he jumps on it? Isn't it suppose to be his weight holding it downpressed?
Shouldn't timefrozen water still be liquid? Why does it behave lite solid? Like he can treat it like a regular pole...

etc.

How is any of that any worse than the world of PoP2008 where people apparently wallran and pole climbed on their way to the market every day.

Mejilan

Take water outside of time then nothing can affect it.
Thus, the laws of physics cease to apply and it might as well be a mountain for all of affect you can have on it.
It's a fucking video game, you know? :D

Majine

Banned
Mejilan said:
Take water outside of time then nothing can affect it.
Thus, the laws of physics cease to apply and it might as well be a mountain for all of affect you can have on it.
The water does move, and makes splash sound so it's just slowed down.

So technically, shouldn't he glide slowly down from the waterpillar while on it?

Mejilan

Majine said:
The water does move, and makes splash sound so it's just slowed down.
So technically, shouldn't he glide slowly down from the waterpillar while on it?

Hmm, I haven't seen in a vid in quite some time.
So then I'm retreating to my comfortable fall-back.
It worked for Bayonetta, and Bayonetta is never fucking wrong!

:lol

V_Ben

Banned
Chrysalis said:
Fail. Why can't people just accept that POP2008 and Sands of Time both accomplished remarkable but disparate objectives?

Agreed. 2008 was great for entirely different reasons sands of time was :D

hetchi

Mejilan said:
I'm keen on futzing around with the PS3 and Wii versions tonight, and perhaps the PSP version if I can squeeze it in. If not, then I'll play it during my morning commute to work tomorrow. In any event, I should have at least shallow impressions for 2 of them tonight, and perhaps a 3rd tomorrow. I'm not too keen on playing the DS game any time soon since it appears to look and control just like the last DS PoP. It wasn't terrible exactly, but it was the very definition of uninspired mediocrity.

It reads:

xxx-xxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx

The code wasn't on my receipt because the guy working there forgot about the code, lol. I called the store to make sure if I was supposed to recieve the code with the game and he realized his mistake. Would of been easier if they had the code in the box like how other games do. Oh well, got some exercise today! =P

BTW, the game is alright. Never really played the entire trilogy, just played Warrior Within and PoP 2008, which I thought were also good. All in all, I'm going to enjoy my summer playing the new PoP and many others! =P

TripOpt55

I just played an hour or so of the game. Pretty cool so far. Platforming is fun, but I haven't gotten to any of the water stuff. There really isn't much to the combat, but it's not annoying or anything. Just sort of there. Overall, I'm liking it so far.

I'm a bit worried about that game-ending glitch. I can't look at the post for fear of spoilers, but the game has no manual save so I can't make a bunch of saves like I normally do to prepare for all of PoP's glitches. Hopefully, I don't get it.

fernoca

The Wii version..well, don't know if the other versions are similar..
But it reminds me of the 2008 game..mixed with Sands of Time..

• His attitude, constantly talking and arguing with the genie (which also serves as a helper)
  • The platforming
  • The collecting orbs (though here the orbs give you experience which unlocks abilities)
  • The whole dying and being returned to life at that same place (though not infinite, plus you can save in fountains)
  • Not combat heavy (basic fights are similar with a lot of evading and just hitting at the right time)

And brings some new things...like...
  • Powers (like wind, or point at enemies to freeze them for a short amount of time)
  • Bosses (mix of basic fights -evading and attacking- with QTE)
  • Puzzles involving the pointer (like to open doors you have to point at the screen to create the path of light/like design in front of them; to open them)

Zapages

Gamespot score: 7.5

The Good

* Platforming sections have lots of thrilling moments
* New abilities spice up the standard jumping action
* Clever puzzles require careful thought to complete
* The prince's narration adds personality to the story.

The Bad

* Combat is shallow and way too easy
* Camera restrictions makes certain sections difficult to navigate
* Early portions are too familiar

http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/action/...vert&om_clk=gssummary&tag=summary;read-review

Mejilan

hetchi said:
The code wasn't on my receipt because the guy working there forgot about the code, lol. I called the store to make sure if I was supposed to recieve the code with the game and he realized his mistake. Would of been easier if they had the code in the box like how other games do. Oh well, got some exercise today! =P

I don't mind it in theory if it takes off and once retail is more used to the concept.
Inside the box is probably the best way to go around it, but this certainly has the potential to beat out-of-box vouchers in that you're not likely to see a store get 20 copies of the game but only 5 codes. Well, I suppose that could happen as well.

Top Bottom