• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands |OT|

fernoca

Mejilan said:
Hey, I never said that some of these games are canonical and others not.
All I said is that based on my limited play-time, the DS, PSP, Wii, and HD games are all completely separate and distinct from each other, and they all seem to have nothing to do with the movie either. It's my understanding that whatever the game you play, they all pertain to the Sands trilogy Prince, timeline, and setting. I also mentioned that it was my OPINION that the links to the Sands trilogy feel somewhat shallow, half-hearted, and/or unconvincing.
Well, yeah..but you seem to know better than me..."Mejilan said" sounds better than "fernoca said"... :p
I also don't find it..really canon to the overall story. ;D
There are some traces and connections, but seems shoehorned into the overall story.

fernoca

Genesis Knight said:
Well in that case I'm going to go on believing that it's canonical. :D
Yeah..Mejilan said it.. :p

I'm replaying Sands of Time and watched the beginning of Warrior Within..to refresh my memory..and when I finish the game, see the connections.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
fernoca said:
Well, yeah..but you seem to know better than me..."Mejilan said" sounds better than "fernoca said"... :p
I also don't find it..really canon to the overall story. ;D
There are some traces and connections, but seems shoehorned into the overall story.

I tend to agree with you that the Forgotten Sands don't particularly feel authentically related to the Sands trilogy, but the issue of whether a story is canonical or not isn't exactly subjective. If Ubi says they're canon, they're canon!

Picked this up used on 360 and gotta say, it does indeed feel much like the original sands of time in many ways. So I'm enjoying it. :D Definetly recommended for fans of the original, even if you want to wait for a price drop.

Not much activity in this thread, but hopefully I can still find someone to help me, I'm stuck fairly early on,
after you run into your brother and you talk about closing the gates there's a puzzle where you raise two pillars so you can get to a pressure switch, then the door opens on the other side of the room. I can't figure out how to make it back to the door before it closes. What am I doing wrong?

eshwaaz

Picked this up for $37 at Target. I was a huge fan of Sands of Time (though a recent playthrough dampened my nostalgic fondness quite a bit), and much of what I loved is intact here.

I'm only about an hour in, but the platforming is as fun and engaging as it's always been; chaining together the acrobatic moves without a hitch is still incredibly rewarding. I'm not a fan of most of the Prince's new animations, though. His trademark wall run now looks lumbering and graceless, with slow, broad steps instead of the rapid, nimble footwork of Sands of Time. Even his run cycle is boring and stiff. In trying to make the Prince's movements more "realistic", they robbed him of much of his character and style.

Combat is serviceable, but not particularly enjoyable. I really hope they don't start abusing the combat as SoT did, with endless, pointless battles that are only there to pad out the game.

There's also a noticeable lack of refinement here and there, as if the game could've used another month or two of development. When leaping to the hanging banners, the Prince often doesn't get his sword out in time so I end up sliding down and tearing the cloth with my bare hands for a moment while the sword animation catches up.

In general, though, off to a pretty good start. Looking forward to playing more.

eshwaaz

One final bump for this thread. I just beat the game, and I absolutely loved it. The stigma of it being some cheap movie cash-in game is totally unfounded, and it's really unfortunate that the game was largely overlooked because of it.

Anyone who considers themselves a fan of The Sands of Time needs to give Forgotten Sands a shot. It doesn't have a memorable relationship that compares to that of the Prince and Farah, nor does it have the almost dreamlike atmosphere, but the actual platforming and level design are at least as good, if not better.

Once the power to freeze water is introduced early on in the game, the platforming takes on a whole new feel and complexity. Some of the level design is absolutely brilliant; it's exhilarating in a way I've not experienced since Sands of Time.

Combat is still a low point, but once you level up your character, it can be fairly enjoyable and doesn't get in the way of the fun, unlike SoT.

Forgotten Sands also avoids many of the frustrating aspects of SoT - there are no overly long battles, checkpoints are surprisingly generous, and with the exception of one particular puzzle, the game is just pure enjoyment.

If this game tanks (and it appears it has), Ubisoft will likely never make another Prince of Persia in this vein, and that's a real shame. This is a quality game that deserved more attention (and better reviews, IMO) than it got. Already looking forward to a second playthrough.

Sagitario

eshwaaz said:
If this game tanks (and it appears it has), Ubisoft will likely never make another Prince of Persia in this vein, and that's a real shame. This is a quality game that deserved more attention (and better reviews, IMO) than it got. Already looking forward to a second playthrough.

The same was said about PoP 08 and apparently we're getting a sequel
kT6B5.png
:D ...

eshwaaz

Sagitario said:
The same was said about PoP 08 and apparently we're getting a sequel
kT6B5.png
:D ...
I enjoyed PoP 08 as well so I'd definitely welcome a sequel, but I still much prefer the Sands of Time approach to the platforming and puzzles.

Tokubetsu

I just got this from Gamefly. It's better than I expected but it definitely feels kinda clunky. I'd rather see a PoP 08 sequel. Hopefully that rumor is true.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
I got this today for pennies (£16), have played it for about 20 minutes so far and it fucking sucks. Dare I say it, it's even a step backwards from 2008.

- The graphics are rubbish. Worse than 2008. Worse than Assassin's Creed.
- The animations are terrible, and have that terrible floaty feeling. I had to double-check I wasn't playing Fable.
- The controls are completely unresponsive and just downright dumb. 'Hold RT and run towards a wall to wall jump'... what then follows is your character locking on to a wall run at any given point and falling to his death if it's not inch perfect.

Come on Ubi, who the fuck comes up with this shit, time-after-time? Give us the PoP we dream of.

I got the Wii version for $10 thanks to Amazon's credit for Mario Galaxy 2 purchase and I gotta say, after playing around 3.5 hours, that I would've gladly paid full price for this. It reminds me quite a bit of what I loved about Sands of Time. It has a really good pace and it's also visually pleasing. I also enjoy the combat, which has been harshly criticized from everything I've read. It is pretty basic, but I still like watching the prince's moves and use the wall running to attack enemies. Mindless hack and slash fun IMO.

Highly recommended for Wii owners.

Sadist

Received the Wii version this morning in the mail (got this for free in a contest) and I must say, I'm pleasently surprised. The game has a Sands of Time vibe which I really like and platforming is awesome. Combat is a bit boring, the controls do work thoufg.

Trick_GSF

Banned
I've not read through this thread yet as I have just acquired The Forgotten Sands. I'm around 2 hours in and enjoying it.

I do have a question, though. Does anyone know if a sequel is in the works for Prince Of Persia (2008). Or has anything been confirmed?

I know it has got quite a negative rep around these parts. But I enjoyed it and would like to know.

Cheers for any info you can give.

Trick_GSF said:
I've not read through this thread yet as I have just acquired The Forgotten Sands. I'm around 2 hours in and enjoying it.

I do have a question, though. Does anyone know if a sequel is in the works for Prince Of Persia (2008). Or has anything been confirmed?

I know it has got quite a negative rep around these parts. But I enjoyed it and would like to know.

Cheers for any info you can give.

I liked it as well. As far as I know there's no word as of yet. They haven't canned the universe but they haven't promised more, either. I'd be willing to bet that there is an announcement this year, however.

Trick_GSF

Banned
Genesis Knight said:
I liked it as well. As far as I know there's no word as of yet. They haven't canned the universe but they haven't promised more, either. I'd be willing to bet that there is an announcement this year, however.

Ok, thanks.

I just finished it and enjoyed it a lot. Combat was a bit meh, but nothing really bad. The jump-parts were great.
One question though:
The two other entrances in the Djinns World. One is 2008 PoP I guess, and the other one?

fernoca

Just got 1000/1000 on this game! :)

Overall..it surprised me..
Loved the visuals (reminded me of Assassin's Creed), music, dialogues..though the story was quite simple and the ending felt a little flat..

Combat was simple, but direct to the point (not much strategy) , the extra powers like the whirlwind and stone armor were nice, but the other 2 (fire and ice) did basically nothing. As expected the powers to rewind and stop water were awesome, and added more variety to the game.

If anything it left me wanting more..too bad I got it "late"..and the game didn't sold that well, so is not like there are going to be lots of sequels..or DLC..

kaskade

I got the game in from the Amazon sale and played 2 hours I believe(I'm a little after getting the water power. I'm enjoying it. The only thing that took a little while to get used to was the R trigger for climbing up things. I would hit A and he would jump away. Anyway, it's a pretty good game. I think it's definitely worth the 26 bucks I got it for.

Also, I love the urn/barrel smash. It's very satisfying.

This is probably one of the most overlooked games on GAF this year. 7 pages, really? I'm quite a bit into the game now, having just got the ability to freeze water, and so far it's easily as good as Sands of Time and the 2008 reboot.

Admittedly, it is more of the same, but I'll take that any day over the horrible angsty sequels that we got last gen. Considering Sands of Time is such a cult hit it's quite baffling that people haven't latched on to this game in the same way.

The only downside for me are the visuals. POP 2008 was an absolutely stunning game, and even with everything on the highest settings and running at 2048x1152 on my PC, this game is pretty, but lacks any real style.

The last bit of The Observatory with the
moving platforms
was perhaps the single most exciting thing I've ever done in a PoP game. Absolutely fantastic.

Now I'm about 4/5 chapters away from the end of the game and I've decided this is the best Prince of Persia game ever. I'm not sure if the masses would agree with me, but there ya go.

All these conparisons about Assassin's Creed make me wonder if Ubi's idea all along was to can the PoP license in favour of their own AC property.

Why else would they cannibalize gameplay from one series onto another one? Did they not realize this would dilute the appeal of the PoP license? Or maybe they wanted to keep PoP for the kiddies (you can't die lulz) and leave AC for vet gamers?

The end of this game has quite a bit of complex platforming. It might not be as hard as old PoP, but it's definitely not a kiddie game.

Neither was 08, though, in my eyes. It just had a very tight checkpoint system, basically. You still felt like an idiot when you missed a jump, you just didn't have to suffer through a load screen.

Just finished it. That last bit before the boss fight was batshit insane, but so much fun.

I stick with my claim that it's the best PoP game yet. It doesn't have the visuals of 08, or the great banter of Sands of Time, but pretty much every other element is better in this version.

Wonderful experience and I can't stress enough how it appears more people need to play it!

fernoca

Yeah, that last bit of platforming; surfing on ruins, jumping onto poles, birds, fighting enemies over flying platforms; all while inside a sandstorm/tornado. Was insane but exciting too.

KevinCow

Banned
Alright, what the hell. Why did this game get such middling reviews and general reception? It was fucking awesome. Platforming was everything you could ask for in a Prince of Persia game, and then some - the water freezing and disappearing platform mechanics added some really interesting new challenges. Even a lot of the returning mechanics were really refined.

Combat was... eh. It was just kinda there, not really good, but not as bad as it could've been either.

The game also looked pretty great, though I'm not a fan of how they changed the Prince's face.

The one issue I had was that the palace environments felt a lot like they were trying to replicate the look of Sands of Time, which makes the game a bit less memorable. I wish they'd gone with a more unique setting than another palace. Still, a pretty minor issue.

I'll have to pick up the Wii version at some point.

Folks in this thread keep saying "I just finished the game" or "I like the game" and so forth. I have to ask WHICH game? On the consoles the Wii game is completely different from the HD versions. It should have had a different title and cover art. Heck, the back of the box features a screen shot of the HD version when there aren't even skeleton enemies like that in the Wii version.

fernoca

Wel, in my case I said I got 1000/1000 (achievements), so it implied it was the Xbox 360 version. :p
Though the first version I played was the Wii version (of which I posted about in this thread), which was quite nice and with cool extras; I never finished it because my Wii broke and I ended selling it.

Then got a 360 and recently got this game. Ironically, I never posted or said anything about it in this thread, prior saying that I got all the achivements.

And it was ...I don't know, maybe I was just expecting something bad. But considering that the only other game I've gotten 1000/1000 was Assassin's Creed II and was also this year that I played it, maybe I'm some kind of Ubisoft Montreal whore or something. :lol

kaskade

I'm going to 1000/1000 the game. All I have to do is find all the statues and do the middle boss fight without taking any damage. It's nice to have a game with achievements that aren't a complete pain in the ass.

Beat this game on the 360 2 days ago. I thought it was a decent game, but the same old puzzles got old all the time. The constant freeze water then jump unfreeze then freeze again was about the only trick it had from the 1/2 way point to the end, and I got rather bored of it. The game is worth a rental or the $20 it can be had for, had a fun few hours in it.

TripOpt55

I just got the platinum for this. Had the sarcophagi and beat the boss in the middle without taking damage trophies to get still. Got the boss one and then I got the sarcophagi one soon after. I didn't know it carried your progress over for those from previous playthroughs. Because I still had quite a few I didn't get to on that run that I had done before, but since I got the last one I hadn't got yet, I got the trophy. That was a nice bonus because I was getting kind of bored of looking for them.

Anyway, I think I said this before in here, but the platforming is really good, but the combat and story and well pretty much everything else in the game is pretty meh. Makes for a just okay game overall. Definitely worth a playthrough, but it doesn't come close SoT or The Two Thrones for me personally. I even enjoyed PoP 2008 better too though that comparison is a much different one.

I do still want to play the Wii versions of TFS and maybe the PSP one too.

KevinCow

Banned
Just picked up the Wii version from the Target sale. Kinda annoyed that I could've gotten both for the same price I paid for the PS3 version if I'd just waited a week, but eh. I probably won't play it immediately, though.

kaskade

Got a 1000/1000. :D

I think the last game I got 1000 for was Assassins Creed 2. I like that ubi makes achievements that aren't completely annoying.

kaskade said:
Got a 1000/1000. :D

I think the last game I got 1000 for was Assassins Creed 2. I like that ubi makes achievements that aren't completely annoying.
I don't know man, getting those feathers was pretty annoying.

Anyway, I recently platinumed this too. :lol

I finished the game 2 and a half time in a row and got the Platinum... it was fun to get.

I've enjoyed the platforming so much... with a few additional touches here and there this game could have turned out to be much better, what a shame.

anyway... I've enjoyed it :)

storl026

I picked up the Wii version from the Target sale this week.

I just finished the game today, and I must say I'm very impressed. The platforming in this game is top-notch, I'd say on par with the best the series has offered. The new animation and weight of the prince feels a lot different from the previous games, but you get used to it after a little while. The controls are very, very good considering you are using 4 buttons.

Some low points:

-The camera requires A LOT of readjusting, moreso it seems than was necessary in the older entries.

-The combat has never been a strong aspect of the series, and it is no different here. Most of the time it just involves spamming jump-attacks and tornado-attacks.

-The mini-game to open doors. This involves a circle of blue stones connected by lines in a pattern which you have to replicate by memory with the Wii remote, all while they're spinning and disorienting you and your memory of the pattern. Just frustrating, really.

It's also a good length (I completed the adventure in 9 hours). What's most impressive is that Ubisoft Quebec has stepped up from licensed PSP and DS ports and created a worthy sequel to Sands of Time. This shouldn't be missed by anyone who has liked the series, especially for $20.

fernoca

storl026 said:
-The camera requires A LOT of readjusting, moreso it seems than was necessary in the older entries.
You didn't changed the camera settings? or something?
Is that I remember the Gamespot reviewer not liking that aspect and it turned out he changed the camera settings to advanced or something like that, whe nhe started and forgot about it. For which the review was taken out for a few days; then put back again with less negative remarks of the camera and a 0.2 higher score.

I had no problems with the camera on the Wii version though..

storl026

fernoca said:
You didn't changed the camera settings? or something?
Is that I remember the Gamespot reviewer not liking that aspect and it turned out he changed the camera settings to advanced or something like that, whe nhe started and forgot about it. For which the review was taken out for a few days; then put back again with less negative remarks of the camera and a 0.2 higher score.

I had no problems with the camera on the Wii version though..

The original GameSpot reviewer's problems with the camera were because he was using the advanced option instead of the scripted camera.
http://www.gamespot.com/news/6263144.html

I've used both, and while the advanced camera needs constant readjusting, I still had a few problems with the scripted camera in terms of finding ledges during platforming and seeing enemies during combat. Not enough to be aggravating mind you, but still noticeable.

Sydle

Finally played it yesterday after getting it on sale for $20 at Target weeks ago. It feels great, as good as any of last gen's games, but I still can't help but think about and want a sequel to PoP 2008.

I also must say that while the combat has not become any more enjoyable I have to thank Ubisoft for making fights less of a chore. I may actually keep this one to play through it again.

Manticore said:
So, can anyone tell me how come a prince of Persia can't even speak/understand Persian, while the enemies can? :lol
There have been kings that did not speak their land's native language. Just sayin'.

Sydle

Completed. I ended up enjoying it a lot thanks to the freezing and recall abilities, which provided a great sense of satisfaction when they were having to be chained together. The final chamber and boss fight were fantastic. I highly recommend it for fans of the series and newcomers, especially the later since this is one of the more accessible games in terms of combat and difficulty ramp.

I hope with the next game they can marry the visual style of PoP 2008 with the traps and platform timing from FS. There's a happy medium in there somewhere that would result in a spectacular game.

Top Bottom