• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands |OT|

Ack.... I really want this but can't afford full price right now :(

Anybody who hates it in this thread PM me... I may take it off your hands! :D

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Have you played any of the others? The prince of persia games are never about combat but rather puzzles and stuff you have to figure out.
I've played all three games in the SoT trilogy and none of them were this easy.

Thankfully my upgrades decided to reappear after trying the game again a few hours later and I was able to beat the game today, I've played all of the POP games except the Two Thrones and I rank this one only 2nd to the Sands of Time.

I think they perfected the existing POP formula with this one, hopefully this and the movie do well and Ubi decides to make another one with this engine because I like the direction of both this and POP2008. I don't think they are far off from making the definitive POP game, if they could combine the best parts of both of the games they have made this gen, add more innovation to the platforming and puzzles, pen a worthwhile story and characters and overhaul the combat they could have a classic.

Here's my final review

PROS:
-Graphics and animation are pretty sharp
-Platforming is excellent from beginning to end, the game has a perfect learning curve that doesn't insult your intelligence and gradually challenges you more and more in the proper way with the new platforming mechanics you learn
-Freezing water mechanic is brilliant
-Subtle camera placement was near perfect as it was never difficult to figure out where to go without the need for blinking waypoints or anything that took away from the atmosphere. I also liked the way it transitioned to and from cutscenes, really smooth.

CONS:
-Game is way too short, it made sense in conjunction with the story but I was hoping for a lot more
-The elemental powers are a joke, I played thru the entire game not really using them with the exception of the Whirlwind when I got too swamped with hordes of enemies
-The combat is uninspired, the only part I like are the moves and animations for jumping on top of enemies and attacking. Everything else is just hack n slash tedium. I am grateful for
the powerful sword you get towards the end that allows you to breeze thru the last 25% of the game's combat
-Big step back with the story and characters from POP2008 where the Prince and Elika were so likable and the story was more satisfying despite the ending. All 3 main characters were pretty generic and weren't really explored or developed at all.
-Platforming could have been a bit more difficult overall. It's not dumbed down by any stretch, but you could tell they wanted to make sure almost everyone was able to finish the game. I would liked to have seen some more challenging sections sprinkled throughout the game instead of saving it for the "Final Climb", which itself wasn't as tough as I had hoped it would be.

All in all the game has far exceeded my expectations and has me really looking forward to where they go from here, my 2nd favorite game of this year so far

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
crazy monkey said:
I am not familiar with homebrew but can't you just play normally? just put UMD in and play?

That won't work with newer games, such as PoP.
They feature special encryption that only newer OFWs are capable of natively decrypting.
Which means that the encryption on the game needs to be cracked and patched away in some manner, which basically necessitates playing it as an ISO.

PoP is now patchable, I just haven't dedicated the time to actually doing it.
Same reason I haven't popped the PS3 or Wii versions of PoP back in.
Super Mario Galaxy 2. :)

ZAnimus

Has anyone been able to get the code-based unlocks or Uplay to work? I received a Sand Wraith skin unlock code with my game, but every time I try to redeem it or connect to Uplay for the other unlocks it tells me the Ubisoft server is unavailable. I've even tried at different times -- early morning before work, late afternoon after work and late at night before bed -- but I get the same error every time. It's a hassle as I HATE the Prince's character model and would much rather play with the Sand Wraith or Ezio skins.

I don't understand it, as I had zero difficulties connecting to Uplay when I was playing Assassin's Creed 2 or Splinter Cell Conviction.

BluWacky

TheVisualizer said:
Thankfully my upgrades decided to reappear after trying the game again a few hours later and I was able to beat the game today, I've played all of the POP games except the Two Thrones and I rank this one only 2nd to the Sands of Time.

Any particular reason you've not played Two Thrones? It's a great game, track it down if you can.

-The elemental powers are a joke, I played thru the entire game not really using them with the exception of the Whirlwind when I got too swamped with hordes of enemies

Whirlwind is brilliant, and I quite liked Stone Armour for handling the larger enemies, but the other powers are completely superfluous, you're right. Combat is such a minor part of POP in general that it doesn't bother me that much - I'd rather play the silly button mashy stuff/stilted rhythmical fights in these games than something more complicated as I'm in it for the environmental platforming more than anything.

-Big step back with the story and characters from POP2008 where the Prince and Elika were so likable and the story was more satisfying despite the ending. All 3 main characters were pretty generic and weren't really explored or developed at all.

POP2008 was certainly better developed (although I prefer the SOT-style wry Prince to the 2008-style wise guy), but I think the story in Forgotten Sands is executed better. As you say above, the smooth transitions into cut scenes are great, and it never feels like you have to stop playing to enjoy the story - one of POP2008's main flaws for me was that all of the Prince and Elika's conversations had to be held while rooted to the spot, rather than having them just natter as you ran through the level.

I may just be more forgiving having played Alan Wake beforehand, where the interesting storyline is executed in a totally ham-fisted and non-immersive way.

-Platforming could have been a bit more difficult overall. It's not dumbed down by any stretch, but you could tell they wanted to make sure almost everyone was able to finish the game. I would liked to have seen some more challenging sections sprinkled throughout the game instead of saving it for the "Final Climb", which itself wasn't as tough as I had hoped it would be.

There's only really one section in the Final Climb which is difficult, and that's the beginning. I certainly think there's some tougher sections in POP2008.

The only bits I really had difficulty with were the swinging spiny logs. It took me the entire game to work out that I should just jump over them. I'm such an idiot sometimes...

Nymerio

BluWacky said:
Any particular reason you've not played Two Thrones? It's a great game, track it down if you can.

Whirlwind is brilliant, and I quite liked Stone Armour for handling the larger enemies, but the other powers are completely superfluous, you're right. Combat is such a minor part of POP in general that it doesn't bother me that much - I'd rather play the silly button mashy stuff/stilted rhythmical fights in these games than something more complicated as I'm in it for the environmental platforming more than anything.

POP2008 was certainly better developed (although I prefer the SOT-style wry Prince to the 2008-style wise guy), but I think the story in Forgotten Sands is executed better. As you say above, the smooth transitions into cut scenes are great, and it never feels like you have to stop playing to enjoy the story - one of POP2008's main flaws for me was that all of the Prince and Elika's conversations had to be held while rooted to the spot, rather than having them just natter as you ran through the level.

I may just be more forgiving having played Alan Wake beforehand, where the interesting storyline is executed in a totally ham-fisted and non-immersive way.

There's only really one section in the Final Climb which is difficult, and that's the beginning. I certainly think there's some tougher sections in POP2008.

The only bits I really had difficulty with were the swinging spiny logs. It took me the entire game to work out that I should just jump over them. I'm such an idiot sometimes...

Me too :D. For the whole game, I always started running after them and rolled beneath them when they came swinging back. It never even occured to me that I could just jump over them. Funny, because there are parts in the game where you have to jump, i.e. when you're jumping from platform to platform with the logs swinging between them :lol

Mejilan

ZAnimus said:
Has anyone been able to get the code-based unlocks or Uplay to work? I received a Sand Wraith skin unlock code with my game, but every time I try to redeem it or connect to Uplay for the other unlocks it tells me the Ubisoft server is unavailable. I've even tried at different times -- early morning before work, late afternoon after work and late at night before bed -- but I get the same error every time. It's a hassle as I HATE the Prince's character model and would much rather play with the Sand Wraith or Ezio skins.

I don't understand it, as I had zero difficulties connecting to Uplay when I was playing Assassin's Creed 2 or Splinter Cell Conviction.

That's odd. I was able to redeem the Malik and Gamestop Challenges vouchers without issue. I also traded points for one or two of the UPlay rewards as well. No problems there either. No luck finding a Sand Wraith voucher though, sadly. :(

exarkun

Is this game under 8 hours? If so, I can't bring myself to buy it at full price. Sands was a good length and the next two were obviously over 10.

And shit did I not know this was an actual game, not a tie in. Feel bad. And to hear its good is another surprise.

Skilletor

exarkun said:
Is this game under 8 hours? If so, I can't bring myself to buy it at full price. Sands was a good length and the next two were obviously over 10.

And shit did I not know this was an actual game, not a tie in. Feel bad. And to hear its good is another surprise.

All 3 of the original trilogy were under 8 hours for me. I think I beat SoT in around 6...

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Just beat the game....some spoilers I for the end
The lead up to the end boss battle I thought was awesome. Going through the sand storm felt cool. The boss himself? Nah that was one of the easiest final bosses I fought in awhile if you used the magic :lol

Also wtf at the end there? It seemed like they were short on time and was like "whatever have a 30second dialogue then end the game"

Mejilan

Ok, I finally went ahead and taught myself the current process for cracking the newest 6.20 encryption required by the newest UMD releases.
Long story short, I got PoP PSP running.

Perhaps unsurprisingly at this point, it is yet ANOTHER alternate tale.
So yes, the HD versions consist of one game.
The Wii version is entirely different.
The DS game is basically a third story.
And this PSP game, too, is mostly unique.

Gameplay seems solid so far. It's rendered in 3D polygons, but plays in a 2D plane.
Effectively, it seems to be the 2.5D PoP I hoped for when when the last PoP DS game came out. I can't say how it'll hold up, but for now it seems to be a combination of Sands trilogy story and aesthetics with a few PoP 2008 mechanics thrown in for good measure. Mostly in the form of collectible sand elixirs which are strewn about levels and are used to purchase powers and upgrades. There are also hazard tiles on walls, floors, etc., not unlike the corruption found in PoP 2008.

There seems to be a cool ranking system in place after every stage that rates you in the number of sand elixirs found versus the total number available, how fast you completed the stage, and how many recalls (rewind-based second chances) you have left. Each of those three categories can reward you with 0-3 awards according to how well you did against each objective. If you found all of the elixirs, beat the stage fast enough, and never died and used a recall, then you'll get all 9 awards for that stage. The awards are used to unlock music and art galleries saved to your profile. Pretty nifty. And yes, the game tells you how many elixirs are in the stage BEFORE you actually enter it. Even if you don't go for the rankings, you should still attempt to find as many elixirs as possible, as they're traded in for life upgrades, new skills, etc.

Combat's pretty lame so far, but it's also been rather inoffensive. At least initially, the focus is almost entirely on the platforming. If that's the way things remain, I'll be content.

Happily, I was also finally able to explore the PSP <-> PS3 connectivity.
The PSP game only gets a Sands of Time skin that can be toggled on/off before entering a stage. No big deal. On the PS3-side, you'll acquire two automatic level ups that you can utilize when next you boot your file up. It's basically exactly the same as the experience boost reward you can purchase with those UPlay points. Happily, it seems like the PSP experience boost will stack with the UPlay one, as that latter is still available to me on UPlay despite cashing in the PSP one.

Can't say how the game will hold up against the PS3 and Wii versions, but it seems to be smoking both of the DS PoPs so far.

mik

mik is unbeatable
Jesus Christ--the second segment of The Final Climb is utterly destroying me. I don't know if my brain and fingers can do this.

Mesijs

Just completed the Wii game. Took me just under 13 hours.

GREAT game, this is the real sequel to Sands of Time. Fantastic platforming action, great atmosphere, challenge, polish: it has everything. Only bad thing is the combat.

Also finished the additional 2D maps, great fun and challenge! There seem to be some more extras even.

A recommendation for everyone. Free feel to ask anything about the game.

TheVisualizer said:
kinda pissed right now i just turned on the game and loaded my save and all my upgrades are gone

Is this happening to anyone else? It's happened to me 3 times now! INFURIATING when you several hours into the game and it keeps happening. This the 360 version. Is there a fix for this??

I'm not turning the game off mid-save or anything silly like that. I usually quit to the Main Menu after an autosave has finished before powering off the Xbox.

Red Dolphin said:
Is this happening to anyone else? It's happened to me 3 times now! INFURIATING when you several hours into the game and it keeps happening. This the 360 version. Is there a fix for this??

I'm not turning the game off mid-save or anything silly like that. I usually quit to the Main Menu after an autosave has finished before powering off the Xbox.

I turned the game off then tried it again a few hours later and the upgrades were there again, hope that helps

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
There's a OT for this, wow, I platinumed this game with-in 2 days, came to GAF didn't see an OT regarding said game, felt disappointed =/

I look like a fool now

Did anyone else get the feeling that they (Ubisoft) had a good nucleus of game play but after seeing other games coming out (Dante's Inferno, GOW III, etc.), they tried to stuff in as much as possible to ride on the coattails of those games

The challenge was a direct copy of the GOW III arena challenge but with Dante's Inferno "wave of enemies" as the catalyst
(Beat the challenge with a time of 4 minutes and 29 seconds ^_^)

To get the trophies for without getting hit in the throne room, stone armor is a must, lvl 2 or 3, I had it at level 4 with 7 energy slots, it was so easy. remember keep using it, attack relentlessly, keep in mind at halfway auto-save feature kicks in, so look at your health bar, sometime 1 little prick from the underlings can ruin it for you, the bar should be full, no empty space, or the bar has to stay the same as you entered the fight

Once the cut scene starts, just power-up again and chase him down, took me 2 tries, I fell the first time lol

It was enjoyable, good rental, but not memorable, POP cell shaded 2008 edition still lingers in my memories of the cool stuff I did, this was just meh

The last water fall sequence before the finale was a little much, the games code for whatever reason would fail from the prince freezing and trying to to attach to the last water pole, I mean I would time it perfectly, then the game would lag behind, as if almost the input code to action was delayed by a few seconds

Water effect was nice but got old really quickly, game play wasn't diverse enough, keep pressing same button combination over and over got redundant, there never was a break to do something outside the box or change it up

There was like 4 instances with-in the first 3 hours of the game that could have ended the game there, they just kept tacking it on, without real provocation as to why you wanted to reach the end of the game

Story was all over the place, if you can say this had a story

Zapages

Just finished PoP TFS on the PS3...

Yeah the game is not the best game ever aka AAA nor it is worst game ever as some critics and fans are making it out to be. In the end of the day its our own opinion about the game. *shrugs* But the overall presentation and platforming is fun. The combat is a bit repetitive, but the combat system does come on its own after a while. I liked how some enemies could not be killed with just powers they had to collide against each other to die. Also kicking the enemies was a lot of fun. lol

One thing I liked about the end was that there was no rewind power and it was you against the beast/creature. On top of that, the battle seemed like a battle from Ys series, if anyone knows about this game series. Major props to them. So I liked the nostalgic feel to the battle. I did not use any environmental powers to fight the boss. Also the platforming before the boss fight was nice. Once again the presentation to the Final Battle was really well done just like in PoP 2008. You could definitely feel that it was like sand storm that you were fighting through. I think Ubi can definitely brings the hype for the boss battle.

Pros:
Great Platforming
Puzzles that involve powers
Environmental powers
Game does not play itself ie. PoP 2008
Traps- with bunch of old school ones, but I hoped to see more new onese.

Cons:
Combat
Length of Game (about 9 to 12 hours)
Story - very predictable and simple nor memorable.
Camera angle, you had to fight with it in the boss/arena battles.

A solid 6/10

Overall the game is very average... But has its moments that make the game very fun.

If I can summarize PoP TFS, it would be. A game that will remind you of all the great and bad elements that made the SoT universe one of the best last generation. Also it'll make you yearn for well baked PoP game that we have yet to see this generation.

EDIT:
It does give some players some incentives on playing the game again if you want to become a fully powered Prince against the world...

Also Ubi seemed to improved the idea of fighting the same boss 3 times, but now the boss changes attack pattern for each form....

Some of the attack patterns for the AI were straight out of WW... I missed using the platforms to get to the boss like T2T...

One thing I find really annoying about games that showcase the whole "fight an entire army on the screen" bullshit is..the enemies hardly ever attack at once with more than one enemy. It's always a chore to go throw a crowd of guys one at a time with little to no effort.

KevinCow

Banned
So, anyone who's played both, which would you recommend: Wii version or HD version? I'm pretty shocked to see that the Wii version actually has the highest score on Gamerankings. I'll probably play both eventually, but seeing the movie the other day made me want to scratch my Prince of Persia itch.

Sagitario

Well, they are different games with different powers and levels...
I would read more about the gameplay differences between the 2 and decide [I'll actually get both both versions]...

Beat the game a few nights ago on the 360. As a longtime PoP fan I recommend this as a rental or used purchase down the road, but I cannot stress enough how disappointed I would be if I had paid MSRP instead of renting. I beat it in two nights of playing on Normal, clocking just under 6 hrs of playtime. Haven't tried the arena-style mode yet but as enthusiastic as I am about the series I can't say the game has much replay value. So hold onto your pesos for Red Dead Redemption because I would imagine most players are going to feel taken at $59.99.

Pros:
- Great visuals. Not anything mind-blowing by current standards but sprawling in scope with plenty of gorgeous Persian vistas and cityscapes.
- Probably the best controls and responsiveness of any of the Sands of Time games. I felt more assured and capable as the Prince in Forgotten Sands than with the Xbox titles, and very rarely did I have to rewind because of a cheap death.
- The camera is perfect.
- Combat is entertaining; being able to smash up so many enemies at once definitely makes you feel like a badass.

Cons:
- The world is mostly empty and soulless. You rendezvous with the other hero character at set intervals, and otherwise you are completely alone. Very jarring coming off Farah from the Sands of Time trilogy and Elika from PoP 2008.
- No emotional involvement in the storyline. We don't care about anyone except maybe the Prince, and the conflict is not engaging or arresting. Nothing feels very important or dangerous, largely because there are no stakes established except for the fate of the one or two NPC characters we have trouble really being sympathetic with.
- Combat is by the numbers. It's fun to wail on skeletons, but when each enemy takes maybe one or two hits it doesn't come off as life-threatening.
- Combat and platforming are too easy. I never needed any of the powerups I purchased for the Prince, and barely got hit by any of the enemies - certainly nothing the copious amounts of health items and rewind charges couldn't solve. I'm not that great a gamer, but only the final boss was a threat for the ten minutes it took to figure out his pattern.
- Game is too short.

Incidentally, are there ANY good Prince of Persia franchise fansites out there? At all?

EDIT: Hey guys make sure you watch through the (20 min?) LONG credits because there's more ending after they roll.

Sagitario

Genesis Knight said:
Incidentally, are there ANY good Prince of Persia franchise fansites out there? At all?

EDIT: Hey guys make sure you watch through the (20 min?) LONG credits because there's more ending after they roll.

Seriously? 20? :O

Zapages

Genesis Knight said:

As for fan sites. I own Prince of Persia Legacy, which I have been working on since 1999... It had music/videos/interviews/cheats/walkthrough/detailed storyline break down for the PoP Series on the site.

It was hosted by IGN/Gamespy. But they ended their hosting service. Ubi told me that they will look into getting my site hosted by them. But they haven't emailed me back for such a long time. :( They even changed one of their forums to PoP Legacy: http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/cfrm/f/747107822

If anyone from Ubisoft reads this... Please get back to me. Thanks.

Zapages

Genesis Knight said:

Yes that was around 2002/03, I think... I have an older version from that on Geocities, but that has been taken down and the site back then was known as PoP 3D HQ. lol Then I moved to homestead and then onto freewebs from there I was on crazygaming.net for about a year. Then I moved to IGN/Gamespy around 2004 and I was with them for a good 5 years before they ended their awesome hosting service. :(

I guess you can check this version out: http://web.archive.org/web/20080328055636/http://poplegacy.planets.gamespy.com/

This was before my update, which changed a few things around and fixed the google-search problem that I had.

Anyway it has bunch of missing images and borders through the web archive's site.

See this is some of the old PoP 1 Music from all different ports that I had uploaded:
http://web.archive.org/web/20070817202326/http://poplegacy.planets.gamespy.com/POP1MusicTurboCD.php

PoP 2: http://web.archive.org/web/20071223135135/poplegacy.planets.gamespy.com/PoP2Music.php

PoP 3D: http://web.archive.org/web/20071105052442/poplegacy.planets.gamespy.com/PoP3DMusic.php

SOT: http://web.archive.org/web/20080410185046/http://poplegacy.planets.gamespy.com/PoPSoTMusic.php

WW: http://web.archive.org/web/20080405090856/poplegacy.planets.gamespy.com/PoPWWMusic.php

T2T: http://web.archive.org/web/20080328165157/http://poplegacy.planets.gamespy.com/PoPT2TMusic.php

To download them, you'll probably have to remove my web archive's url and go to fileplanet to download them. :) Anyway these are just some examples of what was offered to the PoP community on PoP Legacy. Sorry if I sound a bit pitchy about the site. I am just sad that no one from Ubi has contacted me again since they told me that have some good news to tell me and they changed one of the forums name.

I had uploaded PoP 2008 stuff as well, but web archive site did not have them in its archive. :( Plus there all the cinematics from all the games... Bunch of other cool stuff that was on the site as well. They'll remain dormant until I hear back from Ubi or something better is offered.

Info about many different characters in the PoP games per game. :|

PoP 1 Characters: http://web.archive.org/web/20070817221024/poplegacy.planets.gamespy.com/PoP1characters.php

PoP 2 Characters: http://web.archive.org/web/20071016131318/poplegacy.planets.gamespy.com/PoP2characters.php

>>Good times and memories. *sigh* and *sobs*.

PS: As everyone knows, fan site building is based on your free time and you are not paid for it. :| I spent a good 10 years on this... I do hope to continue in the future in some manner or another, but it has to be like a legit thing like how it was with IGN/Gamespy. I don't like to do illegal stuff when hosting all this material as you guys may know and I don't want other folks to steal this hosted material as well as it took me long hours to compile and find them in the first place, especially for some of the old school PoP games. :|

PSS: Note to Mods, if any of my post this breaks TOS of neogaf... Please remove all links or parts necessary that are needed to be removied. I do not wish to break the TOS. All this materials that I hosted, I was given permission to host from Ubisoft's Community Manager back in 2003. :)

So I was hit by the game-killing glitch mentioned in this thread tonight....and I already knew about it! Unfortunately, as you are falling from the missed jump, it is already too late as it is autosaving......I was so stressed that I wasted my 2 remaining rewinds, and sure enough, locked room of doom upon reload. God Ubisoft has shit quality control.

Did some digging and found a semi fix....go into your game saves folder on your system and delete the auto save file, leaving the backup save......it will then load that when you turn on the game. I ended up being loaded about an hour back, but that's better than losing 7 hours, so if the room of doom happens to you, make sure to try this fix.

fernoca

Still loving the Wii version..gave the game a break when Galaxy 2 was released, finished that (basic finish not all stars..yet).. then jumped back to Silent Hill Shattered Memories, finished it..and returned to this..restarted the game too, because I missed the chance to unlock the 1992 game (thanks to Mejilan for the heads up that it was in the game case.. :p ), after 4 hours playing back then.....currently at
The Water Bearer
area.

Regarding this that Genesis posted:
Very jarring coming off Farah from the Sands of Time trilogy and Elika from PoP 2008.
The Wii version has constant talk between the Prince and his genie (Zarah)..at first is full of sarcasm, but as you progress they start to get along and understand each other..it adds more personalty to the Prince, though they obviously got inspiration from Uncharted 2..plus a female narrator (from after the events of the game it seems) pops here and there to give more insight about the story.

The game really is like a mix of the 2008 game and Sands of Time, so I recommend anyone that enjoyed both to give the Wii version a try: good story, exploration, great puzzles, mixed 2D-perspective areas , great abilities/powers......plus it's full of nice extras..the Sands of Time Prince skin, the Two Thrones Dark Prince skin, weapons from the original games too, a classic 2D mode/challenge map, developer diaries/videos..art...etc..and the already known 1992 original game.

One thing I'm wondering..about the Wii version..
I was just playing and after the Prince drank a health upgrade potion, the character left the room like shiny..and there was no music, except the footsteps of the Prince..don't know if it was a glitch or something, since after that I made a jump by mistake, died, re-appeared normal (and with music) and returned, only to find the door that had the potion like it exploded...was I supposed to do something while he was glowing? I still got the upgrade, I was just wondering if I needed to do something else.

brassica

Started the game on Wii this weekend, and it is really fun.
Stuck on a damn puzzle though, help welcome :)

After eliminating the 3 roots, there are blocks to move so the 2 statues can open the door : I tried a lot of combinations, but not a single statue moved :-(

fernoca

brassica said:
Started the game on Wii this weekend, and it is really fun.
Stuck on a damn puzzle though, help welcome :)

After eliminating the 3 roots, there are blocks to move so the 2 statues can open the door : I tried a lot of combinations, but not a single statue moved :-(
Sorry for being so late...you probably solved already.. :p
Basically, you can only move the stone you choose, in the direction the arrow you're standing on is facing....all you need is to create a bridge to make them move; that looks like this: _|_

In any case, also during that area..if anyone knows the answer to my shiny prince I posted..let me know.. :p

brassica

Oh, I feel so dumb :D
I was actually removing the blocks to let the statues move, where instead I should connect them to make some kind of plateform so the statues can actually move on them o_O

Thanks bro, will test that tonight :D

Zapages

Genesis Knight said:
Well see, yours Zapages has content, which sets it above most other fansites. The ones I've seen are either empty (http://pop-compendium.freehostia.com/) or auto-generated/incomplete (http://princeofpersia.wikia.com/wiki/Prince_of_Persia_Wiki).

Thanks, I am still waiting on Ubi right now. Hopefully PoP Legacy will be back up and running.

If anyone wants me to post the soundtrack from this game... Please let me know or if I am even allowed to post it. I have it ripped and all :)

fernoca said:
The Wii version has constant talk between the Prince and his genie (Zarah)..at first is full of sarcasm, but as you progress they start to get along and understand each other..it adds more personalty to the Prince, though they obviously got inspiration from Uncharted 2..plus a female narrator (from after the events of the game it seems) pops here and there to give more insight about the story.

The game really is like a mix of the 2008 game and Sands of Time, so I recommend anyone that enjoyed both to give the Wii version a try: good story, exploration, great puzzles, mixed 2D-perspective areas , great abilities/powers......plus it's full of nice extras..the Sands of Time Prince skin, the Two Thrones Dark Prince skin, weapons from the original games too, a classic 2D mode/challenge map, developer diaries/videos..art...etc..and the already known 1992 original game.

So it sounds like the Wii version is indeed a completely different game from the HD versions. Why?!!

Fernoca, do you think you could do a write up of the Wii storyline with spoilers? I don't have a Wii but I'm very intrigued.

Got this game last night for the 360. Any hints or suggestions before I start it?

I have a mid-term tomorrow, so I will probably start playing the game after that.

fernoca

Genesis Knight said:
So it sounds like the Wii version is indeed a completely different game from the HD versions. Why?!!

Fernoca, do you think you could do a write up of the Wii storyline with spoilers? I don't have a Wii but I'm very intrigued.
Yeah, the Wii version is a completely different game in story and gameplay.
The powers you get let you move around in different way by putting hooks in the walls (with the pointer) or creating tornadoes in the ground (again, with the pointer) to elevate you and help you jump higher..at first the abilities can only be used at specific spots, but as you progress you can use the abilities at any area which opens the possibility of you going places making your own routes instead of a predetermined one.

Combat is pretty basic jump swing the nunchuck as the left arm to punch and/or swing the wiimote as the sword..you can alternate both to create combos and throws, even use the pointer to freeze enemy for a short period of time.... though you collect light spheres to gain experience and unlock newer more powerful abilities and attacks.

Puzzles make a good use of the wiimote..and your brain actually. :p
To open door a diagram (like stars constellations) appears in the door one time for you to memorize and you have to then connect the dots (with the pointer) in the exact same order to open them..made more difficult as you play, when the same doors start rotating. As you play also, the rest of the puzzles mostly consists on moving a stone statue to place it at some specific place either by pushing it or creating a bridge...or looking for ways to take it to its destination...some being more clever than others.

Extras includes:
  • 2 players Co-op: Ala Super Mario Galaxy, were a second player connects a second controller to aid the first player looking for hints, clues and even drawing in the screen tips/routes, etc..
  • 2 classic (skin) outfits and weapons: Sands of Times Prince, Sand Dagger, The Two Thrones Dark Prince, Wall Breaker from Warrior Within.
  • 2D Map: Plays like the original 2D games, were you control the Prince looking for ways to move around, evade traps and open doors to move on.
  • Prince of Persia Classic: The original 1992 (PC version) game.
  • Dark Labyrinth: A normal 3D map, but barely lit with close walls..and enemies.
  • Tower of the Gods: An endurance mode, were you fight enemies after enemies.
  • Speed Run: A full map were you have to move around and reach the end as fast as you can.
  • Galleries: 4 galleries featuring artwork for the characters and the environments in the game.
  • Developer's diaries: 4 behind the scenes videos detailing the process of making the game (animation,levels, cinematics, environments)
And a ton of "heroic challenges" which are basically achievements.

As for the story, I'll see if I can find online..since I'm too early I think at the moment and I kinda forgot many of the names.. :p. .....

(pretty basic version; no big spoilers..more like a summary)
And basically is about the Prince getting a Genie (Zarah) at the market, which he tries to use to grant wishes for a kingdom of his own and a princess; so he can prove his father that he can make it on his own. But all Zarah does is basically get him in trouble, after escaping the destruction of a city, looking for treasure, they end in the ruins of a city which was corrupted by some evil force. Zarah says that the kingdom and princess she promised are there, but he has to work to get them. Arriving there they find a statue which the genie, once she enter by kissing the Prince can connect with each other. The first kiss basically gives the Prince the power of immortality (in the game basically is extra lives :p)..each kiss unlocks the abilities I already mentioned: hook, tornado, etc..Zarah and the Prince doesn't seem to get along that well..

As they progress, the prince finds the Sand Dagger stuck into a statue, the Prince doesn't listen to Zarah talking about it and proceeds to remove the dagger..and break it;which lets some evil priestess out in the world and a minion of her with the other half of the dagger running away..and they proceed to look for him..though for how heavy he is he always escapes rather easily.. :p.

Story hasn't advanced that much, though the relationship between the Prince and Zarah is better..as they continue..they constantly talk at each other and Zarah stars providing advice to the Prince rather than being sarcastic towards him as she was at first. She later reveals that she actually lived in that kingdom and that it was a beautiful kingdom, which the gods provided a lot, but was corrupted and died....but barely says more, sine she says that some secrets are better kept for later.

A female narrator appears sometimes usually when you move onto a new area; describing general things that happened; as told from someone years ahead of those events.

That's it..so far..I'll look around for a better one, though seems difficult so far..since there are barely to no guides of the Wii version..online...and my english is kinda lousy... :p

Thanks, Fernoca. I appreciate that info. And you're right - info on the Wii version is mostly nill. Which normally I don't have a problem with but hey... :lol

But it raises the question: what is the 'canon' storyline? I assume the HD versions but TBH the Wii storyline is more complex and interesting.

fernoca

Genesis Knight said:
Thanks, Fernoca. I appreciate that info. And you're right - info on the Wii version is mostly nill. Which normally I don't have a problem with but hey... :lol

But it raises the question: what is the 'canon' storyline? I assume the HD versions but TBH the Wii storyline is more complex and interesting.
Well, according to Mejilan..at least based on something he posted..seems none of the stories are canon..all are based on the same "universe" as the Sands of Time (as in "the sand dagger exists"..and that's it), but like the movie..is their own version..unless there's some big twist at the end of the Wii version.. :p

fernoca said:
Well, according to Mejilan..at least based on something he posted..seems none of the stories are canon..all are based on the same "universe" as the Sands of Time (as in "the sand dagger exists"..and that's it), but like the movie..is their own version..unless there's some big twist at the end of the Wii version.. :p

I wonder why they would take that approach when the HD plot at the very least (sounds like the Wii could as well, kinda) integrates very well into the SoT canon... Hmm.

Mejilan

fernoca said:

Hey, I never said that some of these games are canonical and others not.
All I said is that based on my limited play-time, the DS, PSP, Wii, and HD games are all completely separate and distinct from each other, and they all seem to have nothing to do with the movie either. It's my understanding that whatever the game you play, they all pertain to the Sands trilogy Prince, timeline, and setting. I also mentioned that it was my OPINION that the links to the Sands trilogy feel somewhat shallow, half-hearted, and/or unconvincing.

Top Bottom