• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prinny 2: Dawn of Operation Panties, Dood! |OT|

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Man I'm on Hour 6 and this game has some serious Super Meatboy-like sections where you are just dying over and over and over and over...

I feel like the levels are super tougher in this game than the first, and the bosses are no problem. You really have to be methodical in the levels and use Break Mode wisely. Of course I just like to Hip Pound my way through levels without doing too much fighting. That was my strategy in the first game, but it feels like here you have to be willing to take your time to clear out enemies... there's just too much going on at once to try and dash your way through the levels.

Still a lot of fun though. Like Super Meat Boy, the joy of getting past certain sections and levels it worth it. It's great that this is a portable game, because when you start to get too frustrated, it's easy just to Sleep Mode and try again later without losing your place and saving your frustration.

cj_iwakura

Just want to chime in with some thoughts, since the first became my favorite platformer ever(I beat it all six times, and with Asagi, and killed all the uber bosses shy of Baal and Lil' Asagi[though I cleared her stage]).

-The voice acting is a train wreck. So is the localization. Even the best boss from Prinny 1, Darth Moab, has soulless, dull dialogue. It's like they weren't even trying. The only saving grace was Joshua. Her voice and dialogue was great.

-The game is so, so much harder. Mostly cheap hard, but the sense of accomplishment is still there. The stages are creative, and lots of neat new enemies, including some D3 arrivals.

-The final boss is insane, and a totally different kind than Sir MFin Sweet.

-The Pram stage is on PSN now, and is free. I'm afraid to try it. I'll have to kill the final boss first, and that may take a miracle. (I'm at 502 lives now.)

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
I downloaded the .99 DLC Raddish that gives you Autofire... it is SO helpful. I am a pro button masher, and I'm sure I can hit more times in a second than the Autofire, but the Autofire saves your elbow and your hand from needing medication after every level. It makes the game more enjoyable from a physical standpoint to play.

I wonder if they purposely left this out, or why the Autofire wasn't already a feature that could be unlocked in the game. I know it wasn't in the first game, but yeah, the game physically less stressing with it. I'm glad that I purchased it. It does say that it's not available on all stages, so I'm not sure which ones it's talking about. I just tried one of the level hour stages and it appears at the beginning once you "activate" it in your Hub before selecting a stage.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Ah finally made it to the last hour... getting ready to see how brutal this boss fight is going to be.

The Radish has helped out so much and has kept my elbow from being sore for days. I don't feel bad at all about Autofire!

The first prinny is one of my favourite psp games, and I hate this one. It has none of the humour and charm of the original and feels like they phoned in the localization. The voice acting and writing aren't funny. At all. The stages are cheap hard, spamming of enemies rather than the thoughtful platforming of the first where every enemy seemed perfectly placed to weave your way through if you were good. I got to hour seven and realized I wasn't having any fun, so I quit. And it's not even that super meat boy spoiled me for this series, because I replayed the first prinny the week before this came out and still had a blast. I just think Prinny 2 is a hateful, soulless shell of the first.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Mega Man's Electric Sheep said:
he stages are cheap hard, spamming of enemies rather than the thoughtful platforming of the first where every enemy seemed perfectly placed to weave your way through if you were good.

Hmm, I disagree. I'm finding that I'm navigating through plenty of stages through just hip pounding through enemies and building meter for Break Mode. You really have to use Break Mode and wisely. There are more enemies in this game, but staying in Break Mode is essential for getting rid of them.

There is still plenty of good platforming and action to be found in the levels. I've had some pretty "got it" moments playing through certain stages where you die 20 times in on one section, then "figure it out" the perfect sequence of hip pounding and destroying the right enemies, and make it through without taking a hit.

... Still haven't tried Asagi Wars yet. I got all the letters all the way up until Hour 3 then I was just stumped how to get them. Need to find the YouTube video for the walkthroughs.

cj_iwakura

The letters are so much easier than Prinny 1's. The final is about as hard to get as the fifth in P1. Though the middle one is probably the toughest.

I know about the break mode making things easier, I just don't like the change in focus to hack n slash. In the original prinny, I didn't even kill most of the enemies.....here, it's a requirement because they'll chase you for 5 minutes till you have a screenful.

I also find the moments where I expend 20 lives on one section kills my desire to ever play that section again(I don't think I ever needed 20 lives for an entire STAGE in Prinny 1)......plus the added enemies make it feel more random as they don't always behave the exact same way in each attempt. Prinny 1 I beat while expending about 150 lives the whole game.....this one I was dipping into the high 600s left by the time I gave up on hour 7.

I dunno, maybe the charm and humour makes me overlook Prinny 1's flaws.....take away the charm and humour, add extra cheapness and more slashing, and I think it is a pretty terrible, unfun game.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
I just reached the final boss Junkie Etna... holy shit. I don't think I am ever going to do this. It took quite a bit of effort just to beat Lord Junkie, before that.

I've watched a few YouTube videos and I still don't think I can do it! :lol Bummmmmer. I prevailed against Sir Sweet V2 in Prinny 2 but this looks insane.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
I even put the game down to Baby Mode and I still don't think that I can get it. Or that I even have the patience or will power to, rather. Which is a bummer because I've enjoyed everything about the game up until this point... I dunno if I feel like playing more levels just because it's going to haunt me that I can't really finish the game.

Burrrrgh.

bon

I finally got around to trying this. So far it's much better than the first one. Way more variety in the stages, better stage design, break mode gives the combo gauge a purpose.

Too bad this one didn't come with a soundtrack packed in.

bon said:
I finally got around to trying this. So far it's much better than the first one. Way more variety in the stages, better stage design, break mode gives the combo gauge a purpose.

Too bad this one didn't come with a soundtrack packed in.
I've only played through the sequel once so far so I've only seen 1/6th of the game's levels, but the level design in the original was waaaayyyyy better than what I played, Prinny 1's levels struck a perfect balance between platforming and combat but the sequel sort of forgets about the platformer part and simply overwhelms you with a fuckton of enemies instead. It felt more like the Asagi mode from the original than the actual game.

Top Bottom