• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Professor Layton and the Last Specter/Spectre's Call |OT| NoA Strikes Back

GSR

Cheska said:
YAY!! Nabbed the very last copy at my Toys R Us today :)

Around how long has it taken you guys to complete the main game?

I clocked in at around 9 hours, but that was having missed a good 40-50 puzzles in the main story and without touching the bonus content (or even much of the minigames.)

Cheska

Kazerei said:
~10 hours. I'm now at 13 hours with 100% completion.

Perfect! Thank you very much.

Time to sink my teeth in and prepare myself for the eventual hair-pulling crazy puzzle I won't be able to bypass lol.

Jealous of those playing it. It's out of stock in most places around here, and I refuse to fork over $40 to Best Buy..why are they tacking on an extra ten dollars?

duckroll

GSR said:
And though I hate to say it, I'm betting Mask of Miracle will follow the usual Layton pattern and we'll see a reannouncement at next year's E3 (it actually was shown off in English at E3 2010, but it was pretty clearly a mockup) followed by a fall release.

Seems likely, except, surprisingly, this time we might actually get an announcement for a new Layton game before the next one is out (or even announced!) in Japan!

It seems likely that with Level-5 pushing Layton vs PW, Layton Brothers, and Layton Royale, they're giving Layton 6 more time before announcing it. If that's the case, then it's possible that it won't be out until end 2012 in Japan at the earliest.

GSR

duckroll said:
It seems likely that with Level-5 pushing Layton vs PW, Layton Brothers, and Layton Royale, they're giving Layton 6 more time before announcing it. If that's the case, then it's possible that it won't be out until end 2012 in Japan at the earliest.

Yeah, the impression I've been getting is that when PLvsAA was given the green light during production of Mask of Miracle, it was decided to have the main Layton team work on that before Layton 6, hence why we never saw any real images from PLvsAA until several months after Mask of Miracle was out in Japan.

Just plopped this into my DS and played around with Layton Life a little. It's extremely simple and shallow, but the localization stands out and makes it more enjoyable than it should be.

Gunloc said:
The music in the Layton games is always great, but it really stands out in this one.

The title theme is fantastic.

GSR

Gunloc said:
The music in the Layton games is always great, but it really stands out in this one.

Definitely. The music used for the final few chapters (Descole's Theme,
The Final Battle, Loosha's Theme
) are all superb, and the normal "puzzles" theme is probably the best yet.

The main theme is good, though it's a little odd with the direction it goes in the middle of the song.

hosannainexcelsis said:
Just plopped this into my DS and played around with Layton Life a little. It's extremely simple and shallow, but the localization stands out and makes it more enjoyable than it should be.
Yeah, it's not that deep, but it is a fun time killer.

But, it makes me want the next Animal Crossing really badly.

Cactus

Banned
I thought this was the weakest Layton game from a story perspective, but the music is amazing and London Life was a great little time-sink.

watershed

Banned
Cactus said:
I thought this was the weakest Layton game from a story perspective, but the music is amazing and London Life was a great little time-sink.
I haven't finished the game yet, but you think the story is even weaker than diabolical box?

Cactus

Banned
artwalknoon said:
I haven't finished the game yet, but you think the story is even weaker than diabolical box?
Yup. I actually liked Diabolical Box though, mostly because it was so absurd.

creid said:
My friend code in London Life: 1034-4343-4584

Added SecretMoblin and duckroll.
Added you, too.

I'm jealous of duckroll's samurai gear. I'm still in the early stages of London Life, and I'm in the middle of a long break to play the main game. Can't wait to get all of the townspeople and items, and perhaps get better at juggling.

Tiktaalik

Picked this up today. Haven't actually touched the actual game yet, but have played around a little bit in London Life. It's certainly got an Animal Crossing vibe to it. Pretty neat and fun so far.

squall23

In terms of greatness, my ranking is this:

3 > 4 > 1 >= 2

No, I didn't have problems with 2. In fact I liked it simply because
everybody was HIGH OUT OF THEIR MIND

linko9

Man the plotholes in this game are even worse than in previous entries.

So I'm still pretty early on, but basically, there's some big mystery as to how Luke is able to predict where the specter will strike... and then soon after you find out that the place that gets stuck is always marked with graffiti beforehand, and causes a big hubub where the whole town gathers around.
Some mystery. Game is still awesome, cool puzzles, and amazing visuals and audio.

squall23

linko9 said:
So I'm still pretty early on, but basically, there's some big mystery as to how Luke is able to predict where the specter will strike... and then soon after you find out that the place that gets stuck is always marked with graffiti beforehand, and causes a big hubub where the whole town gathers around.
Some mystery. Game is still awesome, cool puzzles, and amazing visuals and audio.
You really shouldn't make these conclusions while you yourself admitted that you're not far into the game.

linko9

Maybe plothole was the wrong word to use... obviously they're going to have some sort of "explanation" for this sort of thing; they always do; but the fact that the characters don't remark upon this situation at all is silly.

duckroll

linko9 said:
Maybe plothole was the wrong word to use... obviously they're going to have some sort of "explanation" for this sort of thing; they always do; but the fact that the characters don't remark upon this situation at all is silly.

Silly? A Professor Layton game? You don't say...

watershed

Banned
goober said:
How does the story compare to Unwound Future? That was my gf's favorite.
I haven't beaten the game yet but so far the story is good but not as good as UF. UF was the emotional high point of the series touching on Layton's past and his relationship with Luke. This game deals with when Luke and Layton first meet though.

Wizpig

Here's a couple of odd questions:

1] The secret code in the fifth game to open the secret door: usually it's DS generated or something, meaning it changes from game to game... but the fifth game is on the 3DS. how the heck does it work?
Not only this, but i'll have to buy an European copy since the 3DS is region-locked!

2] London Life: i want to play it like the Japanese release -- after the main quest -- even if it's unlocked from the start.
But does it actually link with the main game? i mean, if you unlock something in the game you will have something in London Life or thing like that? if so, i will start it anyway.

Oh and does it really have WiFi? are you guys doing a friend codes' list?

Thanks.

duckroll

I added everyone who posted to my friend roster. Not that it really matters since no one is really playing this! Lol.

Wizpig said:
Here's a couple of odd questions:

1] The secret code in the fifth game to open the secret door: usually it's DS generated or something, meaning it changes from game to game... but the fifth game is on the 3DS. how the heck does it work?
Not only this, but i'll have to buy an European copy since the 3DS is region-locked!

2] London Life: i want to play it like the Japanese release -- after the main quest -- even if it's unlocked from the start.
But does it actually link with the main game? i mean, if you unlock something in the game you will have something in London Life or thing like that? if so, i will start it anyway.

Oh and does it really have WiFi? are you guys doing a friend codes' list?

Thanks.

1) It works the same way that every Layton game has worked so far. It doesn't matter which system you are playing any game on. What matters is the codes the games generate. You need to put the key code you have generated from one game into the next. Taking this valid code, it will then generate a response code for that. That's all the games have ever done.

2) There is no link at all between London Life and the actual Layton game. London Life does have WiFi. It allows you to register a friend list and then update it, and your registered friends will appear in the park's social area walking around. You can also use the system to trade gifts that way.

Finished it up. Liked it, but wasn't as strong storywise as the others, in my opinion. Loved seeing Luke and Layton meet for the first time. On to more of London Life!

The only thing linked in London Life and the main game is some of the characters from the main game being in London Life, but it's characters from the whole series anyway.

duckroll

Like the hat? said:
Finished it up. Liked it, but wasn't as strong storywise as the others, in my opinion. Loved seeing Luke and Layton meet for the first time. On to more of London Life!

I think it's better than Layton 2, storywise. Not quite as charming or magical as the very first game, nor as emotionally rewarding as the third game though.

duckroll

jgkspsx said:
Nobody's added me? Or just Nintendo online sucking again? :(

I just added you, and creid doesn't seem to have updated his game since, he's still not showing up as registered on my list.

Wizpig

duckroll said:
I added everyone who posted to my friend roster. Not that it really matters since no one is really playing this! Lol.

1) It works the same way that every Layton game has worked so far. It doesn't matter which system you are playing any game on. What matters is the codes the games generate. You need to put the key code you have generated from one game into the next. Taking this valid code, it will then generate a response code for that. That's all the games have ever done.

2) There is no link at all between London Life and the actual Layton game. London Life does have WiFi. It allows you to register a friend list and then update it, and your registered friends will appear in the park's social area walking around. You can also use the system to trade gifts that way.
1) Thanks, i see, but do you think the code will work with US/EUR copies? i'd hate to miss the secret in the fourth game. maybe a code generator, if it doesn't work?

2) Ok, i still think i will start it when i finish the main quest... honestly i don't know why they unlocked it from the start. it's a nice thing, but wouldn't it have been more satisfying as an unlockable extra?

JeTmAn81

Hmm, I'm about 7 hours in and I just got to
The Witch's Castle
. Am I moving through this game pretty slowly?

duckroll

Wizpig said:
1) Thanks, i see, but do you think the code will work with US/EUR copies? i'd hate to miss the secret in the fourth game. maybe a code generator, if it doesn't work?

2) Ok, i still think i will start it when i finish the main quest... honestly i don't know why they unlocked it from the start. it's a nice thing, but wouldn't it have been more satisfying as an unlockable extra?

1) I dunno. All my Laytons are the US versions, and my Layton 5 will likely be a US one too. Can't help you there.

2) No, not really. I just consider it some random extra which I play for a few minutes every day or every other day. I actually don't even play it much anymore, because it's kinda silly and boring.

watershed

Banned
Just beat this game yesterday. Its a solid Layton adventure though its not as good as UF. Even though all Layton games are silly this one got a bit too silly for my tastes near the end. Beating this game kinda made me want to replay UF which remains the pinnacle of the Layton series so far. But now I'm even more excited for the first 3ds game which should have just enough newness to it to keep the series from getting stale.

oh, forgot to add:

11 hours 54 minutes
solved 121, 122 found. Can't remember which one I didn't solve... Time to go find out.

edit: oh, it's the one puzzle I had opened from the extras section. So I guess I found and solved 121 in the main game.

Here's my London Life FC: 0261-3432-8573

Edit: My friend list is full now, sorry.

Added duckroll, jgkspsx, cried and SecretMoblin.

Midou

Haven't played this one too much yet, but while some stuff towards the end in unwound future was great, the majority of the plot was pretty idiotic, even for a layton game. And this is like my favorite DS series next to Phoenix Wright.

I mean, there were 1000000000 questions that had to be asked when they revealed the big "plot twist" in UF. I was used to Layton twists, but just wtf.

Still loved it as a game, but dat plot twist.

Midou said:
Haven't played this one too much yet, but while some stuff towards the end in unwound future was great, the majority of the plot was pretty idiotic, even for a layton game. And this is like my favorite DS series next to Phoenix Wright.

I mean, there were 1000000000 questions that had to be asked when they revealed the big "plot twist" in UF. I was used to Layton twists, but just wtf.

Still loved it as a game, but dat plot twist.

The plot twists in Unwound Future were the best!
First, you have this sci-fi premise of travelling through time to future London. Then, they eliminate the sci-fi premise through the even more implausible "rational" explanation that the world's largest and most expensive construction project had managed to create a second fake London underneath the real one and somehow get together enough willing people to populate it. Then they go ahead and do the time travel anyway!
I could not stop laughing.

GSR

Yeah, Last Specter isn't nearly as WHAT A TWEEST as the first three games were, but it's still pretty enjoyable.

Midou

hosannainexcelsis said:
The plot twists in Unwound Future were the best!
First, you have this sci-fi premise of travelling through time to future London. Then, they eliminate the sci-fi premise through the even more implausible "rational" explanation that the world's largest and most expensive construction project had managed to create a second fake London underneath the real one and somehow get together enough willing people to populate it. Then they go ahead and do the time travel anyway!
I could not stop laughing.

I actually found
time travel would have been a better twist for most of it, I mean, how could an underground london not be obvious, how would you even recreate the sky perfectly, Layton should have been able to see through it, because there is no way it could have been done to that extent. I would have kind of loved to see Layton actually be evil in the future, I knew it coulden't be done, but it would have been awesome, he could have had a goatee and everything

I liked the 2nd one the best so far because it was on a train, and trains are awesome.

I finally went through the trouble of getting my DS to play nice with my Wi-Fi network so I could bring you all my London Life friend code: 3654-3695-3222. I'll go through and add everyone who's listed theirs in the thread now.

Midou said:
I actually found
time travel would have been a better twist for most of it, I mean, how could an underground london not be obvious, how would you even recreate the sky perfectly, Layton should have been able to see through it, because there is no way it could have been done to that extent. I would have kind of loved to see Layton actually be evil in the future, I knew it coulden't be done, but it would have been awesome, he could have had a goatee and everything

That's why I said
"even more implausible". I would have liked to see evil Layton too but, alas, I'm sure they didn't want anything that would ruin his image.

Trike

So I finish the first Layton game, but never got around to the other two. I picked up this one just for London Life but I also I want to play the story. I know it is a prequel, but would I benefit playing the others two first? Or does it not matter? I thought that each Layton game basically had it's own self-contained story, but I am not sure.

Midou

hosannainexcelsis said:
I finally went through the trouble of getting my DS to play nice with my Wi-Fi network so I could bring you all my London Life friend code: 3654-3695-3222. I'll go through and add everyone who's listed theirs in the thread now.

That's why I said
"even more implausible". I would have liked to see evil Layton too but, alas, I'm sure they didn't want anything that would ruin his image.

But
evil layton could have taken his tea without sugar, and modern layton could have returned evil layton to his normal self, its a plot in itself.

I do get the concept of not wanting to.. destroy Layton's integrity, but really, if he didn't figure out what was going on in the plot twist of the third game, his integrity is shot anyways. :p

Top Bottom