• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Professor Layton and the Unwound Future |OT| !elzzup a s'tI (20 Picarats)

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
34943us.png
33ct4yw.png

2zzib91.png
4gq70h.jpg

35bva8n.png

Joining the scene for this third installment are a variety of new characters, including:

Future Luke - A version of Luke from ten years into the future who sends a letter back requesting the duo's help in their dark future.

Dr. Alain Stahngun - The scientist behind the fantastic new Time Machine that's the talk of London. Unfortunately, he disappeared in the explosion shortly after its first activation...

Bill Hawks - The Prime Minister of Great Britain, who was coaxed into being a guinea pig for the first run of the Time Machine in front of the whole world.

Spring and Cogg Arbatro - Owners of an old clock shop, who's back room contains yet another Time Machine that Layton and Luke will make good use of.

And of course many returning faces such as Flora, Inspector Chelmey, and Nazolene Riddleton, Granny Riddleton's daughter.

New Mini-Games this time around include:
Picture Book - Wherein Layton must find stickers scattered in the world and stick them into a book to create a cohesive story, mad-libs style.

Toy Car Similar to the Hamster Training from Pandora's Box, in Toy Car you must place directional arrows around a grid and try to direct a toy car to pick up as may goods as possible with a limited selection of arrows.

Parrot - Alas your poor parrot is on one side of the screen, and he needs to deliver goods to the other. Place down a limited number of ropes to help him navigate across.

13ztow6.png

professor-layton-and-the-unwound-future-20100910070441318_640w.jpg
professor-layton-and-the-unwound-future-20100910070431287_640w.jpg
professor-layton-and-the-unwound-future-20100910070451256_640w.jpg
professor-layton-and-the-unwound-future-20100910070456412_640w.jpg

jkc7zd.png

Gameshark- 10
http://www.gameshark.com/reviews/3616/Professor-Layton-and-the-Unwound-Future-Review.htm
As a puzzle game, Professor Layton and the Unwound Future is an excellent offering, however, as a Professor Layton game it is simply extraordinary.

Cubed3 - 10
http://www.cubed3.com/review/883/
The range of puzzles on offer keeps everything fresh throughout, which is definitely saying something considering the amount of content packed into the final game. How Level-5 has managed to integrate all of the brain-teasers smoothly into the story is even more impressive, though, and the tale itself is gripping right the way through.

Nintendo World Report – 9
http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/review/24004
At this point, the Professor Layton games are a known commodity, but that commodity is a finely crafted one. If you enjoyed the first two games, then the third game will be welcome even if it is more of the same

GamesRadar – 9
http://www.gamesradar.com/ds/profes...a-20100910114112231085/g-20100615122153367013
For those who enjoyed the first two Layton games, Professor Layton and the Unwound Future is a must-have, period. And if you haven't played a Layton game yet, what are you waiting for? This is easily one of the strongest series on DS in every regard, from the brilliantly crafted puzzles to the exquisite art.

NintendoLife – 9
http://ds.nintendolife.com/reviews/2010/09/professor_layton_and_the_unwound_future_ds
It's safe to say that if you're a fan of the franchise, this is a game you absolutely do not want to miss. And if by chance you've yet to experience the series, this enthralling title should offer up all the incentive you need to finally give it a try.

Digital Chumps – 9
http://digitalchumps.com/video-game...romTheChumps+(Newest+Reviews+from+the+Chumps)
Professor Layton and the Unwound Future is most certainly the best title in the series to date.
[/quote

IGN – 8.5
http://ds.ign.com/articles/111/1119632p1.html
Mixing a charming, beautiful art style with engaging puzzle types and an engrossing story that ties it all together, Professor Layton and the Unwound Future makes a fine addition to the series.

GameSpot – 8.5
http://www.gamespot.com/ds/puzzle/laytonkyoujitosaigonojikanryokou/review.html
Superbly integrated puzzles and a captivating tale make Professor Layton's latest assignment worthy of your affection.

GamePro - 8
http://www.gamepro.com/article/reviews/216462/professor-layton-and-the-unwound-future/
There is more running back and forth than I would like but I still enjoyed the Unwound Future. It's a terrific title for fans of the franchise.

duckroll

Kinda disappointed there isn't more info about the game itself in the OT. Considering how it's the third game in a series which is largely the same, I don't find reviews worthwhile or helpful at all, instead I was hoping to see some organized information about the game itself - like what shitty minigames Level 5 put into the game this time, and what new characters and setting is in this entry. It would be more helpful than having huge image banners which don't really tell me anything... :/

The Technomancer

duckroll said:
Kinda disappointed there isn't more info about the game itself in the OT. Considering how it's the third game in a series which is largely the same, I don't find reviews worthwhile or helpful at all, instead I was hoping to see some organized information about the game itself - like what shitty minigames Level 5 put into the game this time, and what new characters and setting is in this entry. It would be more helpful than having huge image banners which don't really tell me anything... :/
Alright, I'll get right on all of those.

Nice job OP! :D

I'm really looking forward to this. I've said it before but I loved the original and enjoyed the sequel, although less so than Curious Village, so I'm hoping number 3 reaches those lofty heights :)

Busaiku

So is the teaser for Specter's Flute in this?
If so I'd imagine Nintendo will be finishing up the DS titles, if not, I guess it's just the trilogy here.

randomkid

Busaiku said:
If so I'd imagine Nintendo will be finishing up the DS titles, if not, I guess it's just the trilogy here.

This is a really good question, anyone have an answer?

I'll allow myself to pick this game up as soon as I beat a few more games in my backlog.

Blizzard

Banned
duckroll said:
I'm someone who hasn't played the games before, so I'm curious...are there minigames in ADDITION to the puzzles which presumably are the main point of the series?

Also, I feel dumb for asking, but:
MisterNugNug said:
The first puzzle on the second row, the answer is the

Why is that the answer? ;_; Is it because
it's the only one you can draw without lifting a pencil?

As a side note, I think I saw a review/description article on this on the CNN front page a few days ago, so it may have gotten a bit of public attention.

duckroll

Busaiku said:

I'm pretty sure this will be the last Layton game Nintendo will be publishing. Level 5 America will publish the second trilogy.

The Technomancer

Blizzard said:
I'm someone who hasn't played the games before, so I'm curious...are there minigames in ADDITION to the puzzles which presumably are the main point of the series?

As a side note, I think I saw a review/description article on this on the CNN front page a few days ago, so it may have gotten a bit of public attention.
Yes, the mini-games are entirely optional side games that you can play or ignore.

Also, I could be wrong, but I think both of the first two games broke a million in the US? The first one definitely.

EDIT: Okay, the Tea minigame from the second one eventually came into the main game. So its possible that one of them shows up here as well, but I'm not holding my breath.

I lost my DS and I was hoping to wait til the 3DS comes out to get a new one. This game coming out will really test my discipline, I loved the first 2 and I am definitely ready for another.

I loved the first Professor Layton, so I'll get right on this... after I pick up the second one.

duckroll said:
I'm pretty sure this will be the last Layton game Nintendo will be publishing. Level 5 America will publish the second trilogy.

Isn't Level 5's American branch supposed to open this month? Do we know when exactly?

Busaiku

duckroll said:
I know they're at least doing Mask of Miracles, but Specter's Flute still remains a mystery.
I'd like to see it (Specter's Flute) regardless, but hopefully Level 5 can maintain the high quality localization.

Railer

Blizzard said:

It's because
the figure with 3's has 3 3's, the one made out of 5's have 5 5's etc.. the one with 6 has only 5 6's.

Playing through Pandoras Box atm, pumped for this.

Ack, completely forgot this was coming out now.

Guess NHL11 can wait. I'll pick this up tomorrow and start on it while waiting for Reach!

duckroll

Busaiku said:
I know they're at least doing Mask of Miracles, but Specter's Flute still remains a mystery.
I'd like to see it (Specter's Flute) regardless, but hopefully Level 5 can maintain the high quality localization.

I don't think it's much of a mystery at all. Mask of Miracles is the second installment of a new trilogy. Level 5 is bringing that game to the US themselves. Nintendo has not announced any plans for Layton beyond the initial trilogy. Logic dictates that Level 5 being the license holder and creator of Layton, will most likely be bringing the second trilogy to the US themselves.

That's not to say it's confirmed, but it's the most logical conclusion and I don't think there's a lot of reason to think otherwise.

Haunted

hell yeah

w4haX.gif

What? Puzzle solving can be tough!

Anyway, I'm pumped. And I hope the fact that Level 5 will be publishing the series themselves means more timely western release dates for future installments. :D

ethelred

Haunted said:
Anyway, I'm pumped. And I hope the fact that Level 5 will be publishing the series themselves means more timely western release dates for future installments. :D

Because if there's one thing Level-5 is known for it's timely release dates.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
duckroll said:
I don't think it's much of a mystery at all. Mask of Miracles is the second installment of a new trilogy. Level 5 is bringing that game to the US themselves. Nintendo has not announced any plans for Layton beyond the initial trilogy. Logic dictates that Level 5 being the license holder and creator of Layton, will most likely be bringing the second trilogy to the US themselves.

That's not to say it's confirmed, but it's the most logical conclusion and I don't think there's a lot of reason to think otherwise.

I thought the movie was considered part of the 2nd trilogy as...

Outside the prologue, the story takes place after Specter's Flute but before Curious Village

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
I wish I could say DAY ONE but in truth I'll be goozex'ing this one. Still... I'll be joining everyone soon enough!

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Picked up the game this morning, and I'm about 3 hours in. I absolutely love it. The mystery seems more engaging than the second game, and about in line with the first. The puzzles seem to be really good so far as well.

One thing I love is that they improved the memo system. You not only get a wealth of color options for your memos, but you can choose stroke thickness. I found writing memos in the past games a bit irritating because of the limited options.

duckroll said:

There are three mini games again, but the ones I've unlocked so far are:

1) A picture book, where you collect stickers from people as you solve puzzles. Putting the stickers on different parts of pages will change the madlibs style story on the upper screen. The context of the story gives clues on which objects should go where. Actually pretty fun.

2) Toy Car obstacle course. You put arrows on the board to force the toy car to go in specific directions and pick up pylons and such before reaching the goal. If anyone has played puzzle agent, it's very similar to the log/snowmobile puzzles. You collect additional courses to traverse as you solve puzzles.

I have no idea what the third mini-game is, but it sure does look like a silhouette of a bird of some sort.

iammeiam

So I meet up with my mom this morning to take our dogs to the vet. On the way there, I mention that this is out today, and she proceeds to gasp, then chastise me for not telling her sooner, then fret over whether or not Best Buy will have any or if she should just order from Amazon and wait.

Needless to say, Best Buy was visited and we each bought copies. The upcoming week will almost certainly feature text messages from my mother venting about tricky puzzles, letting me know how much sleep she missed staying up with the game, and so on.

I love these games so much.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
iammeiam said:
So I meet up with my mom this morning to take our dogs to the vet. On the way there, I mention that this is out today, and she proceeds to gasp, then chastise me for not telling her sooner, then fret over whether or not Best Buy will have any or if she should just order from Amazon and wait.

Needless to say, Best Buy was visited and we each bought copies. The upcoming week will almost certainly feature text messages from my mother venting about tricky puzzles, letting me know how much sleep she missed staying up with the game, and so on.

I love these games so much.

Yeah, my mother likes Layton a lot. I don't blame her. The puzzles are great.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
thetrin said:
Picked up the game this morning, and I'm about 3 hours in. I absolutely love it. The mystery seems more engaging than the second game, and about in line with the first. The puzzles seem to be really good so far as well.

One thing I love is that they improved the memo system. You not only get a wealth of color options for your memos, but you can choose stroke thickness. I found writing memos in the past games a bit irritating because of the limited options.

There are three mini games again, but the ones I've unlocked so far are:

1) A picture book, where you collect stickers from people as you solve puzzles. Putting the stickers on different parts of pages will change the madlibs style story on the upper screen. The context of the story gives clues on which objects should go where. Actually pretty fun.

2) Toy Car obstacle course. You put arrows on the board to force the toy car to go in specific directions and pick up pylons and such before reaching the goal. If anyone has played puzzle agent, it's very similar to the log/snowmobile puzzles. You collect additional courses to traverse as you solve puzzles.

I have no idea what the third mini-game is, but it sure does look like a silhouette of a bird of some sort.

The 3rd mini-game is a parrot mini-game. You have to get him to cross various arenas to deliver packages. You are given a number of ropes to create perches for the parrot to cross with. The Parrot will also point you to hint coins.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
The_Technomancer said:
Okay,
if you allow me to rotate the tiles, then I damn well should be allowed to turn a 1 into a- to make 5-3+2=4
:p

The puzzle is pointing to show you where to put the tiles to begin with ><

Puzzle 12, right?

thetrin

The_Technomancer said:
Okay,
if you allow me to rotate the tiles, then I damn well should be allowed to turn a 1 into a- to make 5-3+2=4
:p

No it shouldn't, because that's not where the arrows lead. :p

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
what the hell? this is launching?

talk about a Ninja-launch, Christ.

Boney

Banned
the nightman cometh said:
I lost my DS and I was hoping to wait til the 3DS comes out to get a new one. This game coming out will really test my discipline, I loved the first 2 and I am definitely ready for another.
Maybe Dayman has it.

Edgeward

Just got my e-mail from amazon that they have shipped it out. Got me by surprise as I forgot it was coming out so soon. Time to put down the Picross and DQ9, it's time to puzzle Layton-style! :D

Smidget

I'm assuming it's best to play these in order?
Professor Layton and the Curious Village
Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box
and then this one or are they separate stories altogether?

Thanks! :)

The Technomancer

Smidget said:

You don't need to, but if you're planning on playing all three (and you should :p) then yeah, that's the right order. They do make reference to past events and characters, but nothing huge.

Busaiku

Smidget said:

You should definitely play them in order, as there are certain things that are present from previous games.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Smidget said:

They can be played in any order. For the most part, each is a standalone stories. There are little things that do carry over story wise. One is a character from the first game who ends up tagging along with the Professor and Luke.

I would play them in order.

Top Bottom