• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Professor Layton and the Unwound Future |OT| !elzzup a s'tI (20 Picarats)

corn_fest

This game is my favorite in the series, especially for the soundtrack. Is there any way to buy it as a download, or is importing a CD from Japan the only option? Is that even an option?

Oxx

dvolovets said:
Why haven't we heard anything about the fourth game being localized yet? I do remember Unwound Future being announced for US/EU release out of the blue, so here's hoping... how much did Unwound Future sell in territories outside of Japan, anyway?

Best-selling DS game of 2010 in the UK... although I think that list counted Pokemon Gold and Silver separately.

aechris

Finally just finished the story and I can't believe how effected I was by the last scene. I was pretty blasé throughout but wowwww at the ending. No doubt you gentlemen have spoken about it earlier in the thread and I'm going back to read now, but I wanted to post my thoughts first.

I NEVER expected it to be Claire. Earlier in the game I thought perhaps once you met up with "Claire" you'd have to deal with original timelines needing restoration and sending her back to 10 years ago to die, but quickly forgot about it when they introduced the mysterious woman as Celeste. There's something incredibly painful about not knowing the one you are with the whole time is actually your lost love (see the Chinese movie "My Left Eye Sees Ghosts"). Great, great ending.

Davey Cakes

I just finished the story myself. Good emotional ending. And I loved the kinds of puzzles that the game throws at you towards the end. They're all on the mild side and all involve touch-screen interaction. Basically, my favorite kinds of Layton puzzles.

Better than Diabolical Box? Maybe. I'll save that judgment for when I complete most of the bonus content. Though, in terms of where I am after completing the story, I can say that both games are at least even with each other. Layton 3's story and puzzles click a bit more with me, but the feeling of the series losing its freshness is definitely there.

Honestly, even though Layton 1 has been outdone in some ways with these successive titles, I'd still say that it was the only one of the three that I'd place in the Handheld GOTY category. It really smacked me in the face with its goodness and I loved the presentation. Since then I've been desensitized to the style of the games, so they don't hit me as hard. But Level 5 hasn't kept all three localized Layton titles from being compelling, and that's why I keep coming back. The puzzles are fun, the presentation and art direction are top notch, interesting, and unlike anything else I've played, and I just love Professor Layton and Co. as characters.

Working my way towards 100% (which I never did achieve with Diabolical Box, though I got close) will likely give me my fill of Layton for a while, but I'm still looking forward to the prequel trilogy and beyond. This is a series that I'm sticking to.

Shiggy

Just received the Layton Collector's Box after finally registering all three games. It's got a surprisingly good quality.

Here are some images (not mine):
laybox.preview.JPG

laybox%20back_8.JPG

No_Style

Just finished this today.

Easily my favorite in the series. I was close to giving up on the series after the disappointing Diabolical Box, but I'm glad I picked this up. I'm on such a Layton high right now that I'm going to plop down $20 CAD on the Revoltech Professor Layton figure.

I hope #4 is half as good.

watershed

Banned
No_Style said:

Easily my favorite in the series. I was close to giving up on the series after the disappointing Diabolical Box, but I'm glad I picked this up. I'm on such a Layton high right now that I'm going to plop down $20 CAD on the Revoltech Professor Layton figure.

I have the Layton Revoltech! Its a great figure and comes with tons of stuff.
I agree Unwound Future is the best one yet, especially coming after Diabolical Box which got too boring in parts. And the ending is surprisingly strong.

It makes the wait for the next Layton even harder, especially since nothing has been said about 4 or 5 releasing outside of Japan yet :(

Lissar

Reluctant Member
No_Style said:

4 is decent, but not nearly as good as 3. Though I can't really tell if I was just tired of the formula by the 4th game (only so many sliding puzzles I can take), or if it really was only mediocre. I think it was probably my least favorite in the series (though by no means a bad game.) The story didn't drag me in like the others did, and there weren't many puzzle types that hadn't been seen before...

watershed

Banned
Lissar said:
4 is decent, but not nearly as good as 3. Though I can't really tell if I was just tired of the formula by the 4th game (only so many sliding puzzles I can take), or if it really was only mediocre. I think it was probably my least favorite in the series (though by no means a bad game.) The story didn't drag me in like the others did, and there weren't many puzzle types that hadn't been seen before...

Have u played #5? and if so what did you think of it? I'm afraid the formula bored me a bit in 3 but the game was still great. I don't want to be completely bored of the series by the time 5 comes out in the US.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
artwalknoon said:
Have u played #5? and if so what did you think of it? I'm afraid the formula bored me a bit in 3 but the game was still great. I don't want to be completely bored of the series by the time 5 comes out in the US.

No, not yet, sadly. I'm going to wait awhile to get a 3DS (especially since I can't see the 3D, getting all excited over it seems kind of pointless.) I've heard that it's a good game, but not a spectacular one.

all puzzles + weekly puzzles done! Well, there are still two more weekly puzzles coming out but after that I'll be done with this! One more off my backlog!

Top Bottom