• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Professor Layton and the Unwound Future |OT| !elzzup a s'tI (20 Picarats)

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
DrForester said:
Who's Cam Clark in Layton? I didn't even notice.

The announcer at the event at the beginning. I swear it's him.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I'm enjoying the backstory and flashbacks I've gotten so far. As far as video game stories go, the scenes
between him and mysterious lady
are surprisingly well written. I mean, the slight tension over dinner? What kind of games do that?

Belfast

Been playing for the past few days, albeit slowly, but if there's one thing...

I wish they'd find some way to keep Future Luke on board in lieu of normal Luke, but I know they won't. :(

Vard

I was there day 1 for the first 2 games but unfortunately I'll be picking this one up at a later date. Must try to work on backlog some more...Looking forward to impressions although I pretty much know what to expect at this point.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
It's a shame lots of people are still working on Diabolical Box, because this is pretty fantastic. I'm glad I finished 1 and 2 long before this came out.

thetrin

HOLY SHIT! Puzzle 28 was awesome!

Making a machine gun out of a broken slot machine was pretty fucking badass

Gilgamesh

What's the answer to the puzzle in the first screenshot? I've been staring at it for like 10 minutes and I want to go to bed.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Gilgamesh said:
What's the answer to the puzzle in the first screenshot? I've been staring at it for like 10 minutes and I want to go to bed.
You should buy the game and find out!

Gilgamesh

A-HA THERE ARE FOUR FOURS, THREE THREES, FIVE FIVES, AND SEVEN SEVENS BUT ONLY FIVE SIXES

... should I spoiler text that?

Better safe than sorry.

thetrin

trinest said:
That Finale pwns- seriously I hope this one ends as awesome as that.

I'm about 4 hours in, and something more awesome has already happened :lol

Eccocid

Hey is that scientist voiced by Liam O'Brien? My friend who had played the game says he sounds like the voice actor of Garaa or Isaac from Castlevania.

ITA84

Nevermind. Will import this, since I'm not sure the code of the US version of 2 is compatible with the European version.

Belfast

thetrin said:
HOLY SHIT! Puzzle 28 was awesome!

Making a machine gun out of a broken slot machine was pretty fucking badass

Yes, this is one of my favorite puzzles in Layton ever
, even though it's a simplified version of the camera mini-game from the last one. The cinematic that followed was badass, too.

Eccocid

i hate math puzzles does it have lots of math puzzles! i want visual puzzles not some if a tap fills a pool in 2 hours etc.. :( i am an idiot

Sloane

Banned
Haunted said:
Nintendo marketing™
Well, to be fair, this is a game where the launch doesn't really matter that much, and they've been running lots of commercials on TV and in cinemas for the first two games, even a year or two after their release.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
And they have this poster popping up in stores...

2ngyb20.png

Davey Cakes

Eccocid said:
i hate math puzzles does it have lots of math puzzles! i want visual puzzles not some if a tap fills a pool in 2 hours etc.. :( i am an idiot
I actually agree. Matt puzzles are by far the least fun of any puzzles in the game. I'm a big fan of the more interactive stuff that uses the stylus in creative ways.

Man, I didn't even know Unwound Future was going to be out this soon. Chalk that up on the list of games that I need to play but don't have the money for.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Yay, title screen music of Layton 3 is the same as that of Layton 2 :D

Also: o_O @ the story so far (just got to puzzle #7ish, so I'm still early)

thetrin

Belfast said:
Yes, this is one of my favorite puzzles in Layton ever
, even though it's a simplified version of the camera mini-game from the last one. The cinematic that followed was badass, too.

That whole sequence alone has already elevated Unwound Future above the last two games :lol

DrForester said:
And they have this poster popping up in stores...

KEEP SOLVING AND CARRY ON

The sad thing is that most gamers will probably not understand the reference, because it's British. :\

Eccocid said:

I actually love the math puzzles in Layton games, but so far, the proportion seems to be leaning towards logic puzzles with a twist.

The Technomancer

I keep getting reminded of why Layton is my favorite type of character in just about any medium. Unlike most characters (it seems to me at least), Layton isn't going "gawrsh, Time Travel, wowee!" He remains (quietly) skeptical, doesn't just ignore "plot logic" but actually asks questions, and just overall comes off as a smart guy.

(This is similar to why I liked Neku from The World Ends With You. When Shiki was acting all anime-trope, or something completely bizarre that we don't bat an eye at because its a video game happens, Neku actually goes "what is wrong with you?" or "that's ridiculous")

nny

Argh, can't wait. My game is somewhere in the Transatlantic trip to reach me. Come quickly to my open arms!

Eccocid

The_Technomancer said:
I keep getting reminded of why Layton is my favorite type of character in just about any medium. Unlike most characters (it seems to me at least), Layton isn't going "gawrsh, Time Travel, wowee!" He remains (quietly) skeptical, doesn't just ignore "plot logic" but actually asks questions, and just overall comes off as a smart guy.

(This is similar to why I liked Neku from The World Ends With You. When Shiki was acting all anime-trope, or something completely bizarre that we don't bat an eye at because its a video game happens, Neku actually goes "what is wrong with you?" or "that's ridiculous")

Layton is great, i wish i had a mentor like him!

thetrin

I can't get it out of my head that Layton is like a British, gentlemanly Batman, and Luke is Robin.

I don't know why. I just can't.

EDIT: Btw, is anyone else finding the puzzles in Unwound Future MUCH MUCH easier than past games? I'm getting a LOT of these puzzles in just a few seconds without much thinking or with quick math.

I'm also already at like, 90 hint coins, because I've used so few (I'm at 56 puzzles at the moment)

SirSwirl

Neo Member
Yay, got the game yesterday :D , about 4ish hours in and absolutely loving it. I'm at the part where
Layton and Luke go back to the present

Really loving the story and puzzles so far future Luke is awesome :) , could be my favorite Layton game even, but I'll wait and see, as I really enjoyed Curious Village.

@thetrin: I'm actually finding them easier as well, but I attribute that to me just getting better at the puzzles. I've ran into a few real hard ones myself, in which I had to use 2-4 hint coins to get through, so I only have around 35 (and at 45ish puzzles).

thetrin

You may be right. I AM finding that the puzzles that have tricks are often variations of Layton puzzles, Puzzle Agent puzzles, or something I've heard multiple times in the past.

The ones I still have trouble with are the block moving puzzles, but that's mostly because I suck at block moving puzzles. Math and logic puzzles are my strong point.

The Technomancer

Hm, just got to
the big reveal at the top of the tower
aaaand....I'm still not buying
that time travel works. This is all a con somehow.

EDIT: Genuine spoilers below!
But wait! If
Don Paolo
was
disguised as the old mentor in the hospital
then that means that
Future Luke is in on it!

But then of course, because a.)
I still don't believe in Time Travel
and b.)
Future Luke says that he and the professor grew apart as the professor's megalomania grew. But that was actually the time travel guy, so if this is the future, where is the real professor and why would "future Luke" have lost contact?

....Ii love this game.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
The_Technomancer said:
EDIT: Genuine spoilers below!
But wait! If
Don Paolo
was
disguised as the old mentor in the hospital
then that means that
Future Luke is in on it!

I'm at about the same point.

The games been having him do the whole shifty eye thing all game. I'll be shocked if he's not part of something bigger

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
Haunted said:
Nintendo marketing™
Professor Layton's advertising took over the Washington Examiner's front page for today's paper with an awkward pseudo-newspaper thing. It really caught me off guard for a second.

If you use DC public transit you probably know what I'm talking about. It's kind of a shitty paper though.

What are you guy's opinion about this game if you were like me and loved the first one but got bored with the second one (both the story and the puzzles)? Is this a rather safe iteration and still has a lot of repeat puzzle concepts?

The Technomancer

Mr. B Natural said:
What are you guy's opinion about this game if you were like me and loved the first one but got bored with the second one (both the story and the puzzles)? Is this a rather safe iteration and still has a lot of repeat puzzle concepts?
Hm, I'd say that the story is much better then the mediocre offering of the second one, and that the puzzles are a lot more varied then both games this time around. Less....mind bashingly difficult ones, but more interesting ones.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Ok, I think I have to put the game down, I need sleep. So far, I think this is the most interesting scenario yet, and I like the little improvements here and there.

Also, is it me or is the audio quality of the VA better this game?

On on a tangent, I am a bit bugged they keep changing the way the "and the" on the cases. At least keep it the same on the spin :/

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Just finished up ending had the silliness one would expect after the first two games, but still a much better story with a great ending.

Loved the final twist. Knowing future Luke was evil was kind of obvious, but I didn't see the one with Claire coming at all. And of course the Hat.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
thetrin said:
I can't get it out of my head that Layton is like a British, gentlemanly Batman, and Luke is Robin.

I don't know why. I just can't.

EDIT: Btw, is anyone else finding the puzzles in Unwound Future MUCH MUCH easier than past games? I'm getting a LOT of these puzzles in just a few seconds without much thinking or with quick math.

I'm also already at like, 90 hint coins, because I've used so few (I'm at 56 puzzles at the moment)
There seems to be more hint coins, so I have been using them in puzzles that stump me rather then just grab an FAQ. The only one I unlocked the Super Hint for was the note with RHF or what ever the letters were on that puzzle. I just did not see it.

Top Bottom