• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Professor Layton and the Unwound Future |OT| !elzzup a s'tI (20 Picarats)

Splatt

I like how they manage to explain BS with another BS.

The time travel plot wasn't crazy enough so they created a giant city beneath the real one, but then they decided the time travel plot was needed to increase the amount of BS one person can take so they worked it into the ending.

As my first Layton game, it was enjoyable and very challening, I'm glad I've completed it. The main story is bogus, but I like the characters. Can't wait for the crossover with Phoenix Wright :D

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Splatt said:
I like how they manage to explain BS with another BS.

The time travel plot wasn't crazy enough so they created a giant city beneath the real one, but then they decided the time travel plot was needed to increase the amount of BS one person can take so they worked it into the ending.

As my first Layton game, it was enjoyable and very challening, I'm glad I've completed it. The main story is bogus, but I like the characters. Can't wait for the crossover with Phoenix Wright :D
Ah, its your first Layton game? That explains it. Most of us didn't even blink at
the giant underground city
. The Layton games are just kind of insane.

Well, okay, I blinked a little. This one was a teeeeny bit over the top.

Oxx

I always go into each Layton game with the aim to use it to occupy myself on long train journeys but it never materialises.

I've spent about ten hours on trains in the last seven days and not once has my DS left my bag.

Oxx said:
I always go into each Layton game with the aim to use it to occupy myself on long train journeys but it never materialises.

I've spent about ten hours on trains in the last seven days and not once has my DS left my bag.

I did that as well with this game. Just didn't work. The other day, when I waiting for dinner to be ready, I just grabbed my DS out of my bag, started playing. Finished the game 4 days later.

Wizpig

Over the top even for Layton:
Luke talks with Subject 3. (an animal) even if Luke always said he can talk to animals here he actually does it, and Layton seems ok with an animal talking; what the...

Currently in chapter
and this is the Trials & Tribulations of Layton: fucking amazing.

I don't get why they changed the voice actors for
Flora and Don Paolo.
Btw i'm always looking for a US/EUR Layton 3 differences list :)

Oxx

I think I'm on 7 or 8. Just passed the ten hour mark.

I'm dreadful at the parrot mini-games, but I can take down the car ones no trouble.

The Technomancer

Wizpig said:
Over the top even for Layton:
Luke talks with Subject 3. (an animal) even if Luke always said he can talk to animals here he actually does it, and Layton seems ok with an animal talking; what the...

Currently in chapter
and this is the Trials & Tribulations of Layton: fucking amazing.

I don't get why they changed the voice actors for
Flora and Don Paolo.
Btw i'm always looking for a US/EUR Layton 3 differences list :)
You think its over the top now? Just wait....just you wait...:lol

Oxx

Ha ha ha. The animated scene at the end of Chapter 9 was great.

Don Paul spying on Pimp Layton and Claire and just jumping in the river.

Oxx

Aaaaaaannnnddd done.

Really liked it. I liked the second game, but the story, characters and settings in this one were a lot more entertaining.

jgkspsx

Oxx said:
Aaaaaaannnnddd done.

Really liked it. I liked the second game, but the story, characters and settings in this one were a lot more entertaining.
I thought this was by far the most well-constructed of the three. I still liked the first the best as far as characters and supremely ludicrous plots go, but the puzzles in this were so good and mostly very well integrated.

Oxx

The puzzles across the series all seem fairly similar. I did feel as if Lost Future got a bit easier as it went along (or I trained my brain in the arts of the Layton tease).

I didn't really dig the mini-games outside of the first few toy-car stages. I couldn't wrap my head around the parrot game at all and the picture book seemed kinda pointless.

I'm not sure if I'll go back to the game much. I plowed straight through the second-half of the game once the pieces of the story started to fall into place.

Definitely interested to see where we go from here. Is Level 5 taking over the publishing gig? Will they stick to the annual schedule for Layton 4, or will they want the 3DS game out in the west this year as well?

seady

Just beat the game.

At first, I found the plot of this 3rd game kind of slow, and the puzzles are kind of easy. But after going through the last few chapters and the endings, it really pushes it way higher.

Wizpig

Just got my Layton plush <3

e4b6cb66a56e658e9ddeead52b3f6c43.jpg

ea7e806e9595adab926d9b2fb9011173.jpg

Oxx

Awwww...

There's a bonus survey on the NOE site.

lol "How much do you think Professor Layton and the Lost Future is worth in pounds?"

Oxx

The correct answer is triangle.

It's interesting that Nintendo seems so curious about what people think of all these games that they publish/distribute but might not have much to do with in the future.

See also: Dragon Quest.

Haunted

slaughterking said:
One last reminder: The movie begins in 10 minutes. :)
Yeah, just saw that.

Of course they're showing it on the kids channel. >_> Oh well, guess I should be happy someone's showing it at all.

edit: seems fairly standard fare so far, not all that great. Although young Luke is adowable. :lol

Well, Super RTL has some decent stuff now and then. They very regularly show Ghibli movies and other Anime as far as I know. Layton was the first and last movie I watched there, though. The amount of commercial breaks is downright offensive. :0

As for the Layton movie: Not that great I think. The German voices were pretty bad (or at least took a lot of time to get used to) and lacked the charm of the US games. The puzzle implementation was even more forced than in the games (the huge 001 was hilarious) and I didn't care much for the story. Hearing the classic Layton tunes was cool, though.
Oh, and the movie had some magnificent chest hair. :lol

Oxx

I've been tempted by the Layton movie.

The DVD version was out of stock on Amazon last I checked. I could always used my £15 credit on the DVD/BluRay combo, but I don't foresee any BluRay action in my immediate future.

Hopefully it will end up on UK tv at some point. Or at least one of the on demand services.

trinest

Oxx said:
I've been tempted by the Layton movie.

The DVD version was out of stock on Amazon last I checked. I could always used my £15 credit on the DVD/BluRay combo, but I don't foresee any BluRay action in my immediate future.

Hopefully it will end up on UK tv at some point. Or at least one of the on demand services.
It's a pretty interesting movie.

Pyrokai

Still no word on Specter's Flute, I take it?

I hate having to rely on these companies for "will they or won't they localize?!". Language should be universal :( *tear*

Also, region-free DVDs so I can get the UK Layton movie.

I'm about 6 hours into Unwound Future. Loving it, of course :)

Haunted

slaughterking said:
Well, Super RTL has some decent stuff now and then. They very regularly show Ghibli movies and other Anime as far as I know. Layton was the first and last movie I watched there, though. The amount of commercial breaks is downright offensive. :0

As for the Layton movie: Not that great I think. The German voices were pretty bad (or at least took a lot of time to get used to) and lacked the charm of the US games. The puzzle implementation was even more forced than in the games (the huge 001 was hilarious) and I didn't care much for the story. Hearing the classic Layton tunes was cool, though.
Oh, and the movie had some magnificent chest hair. :lol
Yeah, that preposterous inspector guy and young Luke being cuddly wuddly adorable were the high points of the movie. :lol Didn't like some of the character designs and the animation was middling at best. The references to the games sprinkled throughout the movie (Pandora's Box lying on Schröder's desk in one scene) were also appreciated.

It was ok, nothing special.

All it took to stay true to the source material was the same studio that did the games cutscenes and Hino who would write a stupid story. :p I mean it's not like they outsourced the movie to a western studio that would make live-action adaption. "Keeping the charm" was more or less given, even though the German voices certainly hurt that charm a lot. I may watch the movie again if I ever get the chance to do so with the original English voice cast.

Wizpig

slaughterking said:
All it took to stay true to the source material was the same studio that did the games cutscenes and Hino who would write a stupid story. :p I mean it's not like they outsourced the movie to a western studio that would make live-action adaption. "Keeping the charm" was more or less given, even though the German voices certainly hurt that charm a lot. I may watch the movie again if I ever get the chance to do so with the original English voice cast.
Yeah, you do that, i'm sure you will like it more.

Layton's English voice is the best.

Oxx

It doesn't really come across in that picture, but it's surprisingly classy. Nice texture and detailing. And the little icons for each of the games on the other side of the case are cool too.

JGS

Banned
I bought this at Best Buy. I was surprised it was on sale for 17.99 and jumped at it without thinking.

It seems to be well put together, but I am stupid because these puzzles are kicking my butt by and large. I hate games that make me feel dumb and yet this one is too adictive. To be fair, I'm scoring perfects on a lot of them, but using up hints onothers. I'm wanting to figure out the story.

However, if this keeps up, I'm going back to Brain Training where I feel special.

The Technomancer

JGS said:
I bought this at Best Buy. I was surprised it was on sale for 17.99 and jumped at it without thinking.

It seems to be well put together, but I am stupid because these puzzles are kicking my butt by and large. I hate games that make me feel dumb and yet this one is too adictive. To be fair, I'm scoring perfects on a lot of them, but using up hints onothers. I'm wanting to figure out the story.

However, if this keeps up, I'm going back to Brain Training where I feel special.
Oh? Have you not played either of the first two games?

Oxx

That's always the way with Layton: you can fly through 20 puzzles but the moment you hit one toughie it sours the whole thing.

JGS

Banned
The_Technomancer said:
Oh? Have you not played either of the first two games?
Nope. As a cheap gamer, this is the only one I've ever seen on sale. That's how popular they are. That's why I snatched it up immediately.

I do buy games full price but they are normally established brands I've played before. I wanted to give this a try and then pick up the other ones if I liked it.

The Technomancer

JGS said:
Nope. As a cheap gamer, this is the only one I've ever seen on sale. That's how popular they are. That's why I snatched it up immediately.

I do buy games full price but they are normally established brands I've played before. I wanted to give this a try and then pick up the other ones if I liked it.
Ah, hehe, gotcha. There shouldn't be too many plot points you don't get, although knowing some of the characters from this game will make seeing their first introductions earlier on interesting.

Shiggy

The ending scene was heartbreaking, wouldn't have expected Layton to do that and was really surprised.

Why did Luke have to go though? (ship scene)

Oh man. This was so good. I wasn't expecting much, after not enjoying Diabolical Box nearly as much as The Curious Village, but this totally blew me away. The best in the series so far, and among the best DS games out there. It was a great conclusion to the trilogy, and one of the more touching games I've played.

CAN I HAZ LAYTON 4 NOW LEVEL-5 and NINTENDO?!?! KTHXBAI.

Wizpig

YES! i don't want Layton 5 3DS... i mean i want it... but gimme Layton 4 first :|

Gaaahh, this is so frustrating, this is going to be a "European Ace Attorney canon is Apollo Justice first and Trials & Tribulations after it!" all over again, isn't it?!?

Oxx

Annual Layton games have been so successful that you would think Nintendo or Level 5 would be crazy to alter the frequency of the releases.

But would they leave one of the flagship 3DS games on the shelf until Q4 2012 so that we would get game 4 this year?

Masked Man

I said wow
Finally got around to playing and finishing this game.
Absolutely beautifully done. Did not expect to cry, but the ending had me in tears--just like PW3, as it were. <3

Only complaint: I get so annoyed hearing Lani Minella's voice. She sounds exactly the same in every role she plays, which makes it especially frustrating to have her voice two characters in one game (Luke and Flora).

dvolovets

Why haven't we heard anything about the fourth game being localized yet? I do remember Unwound Future being announced for US/EU release out of the blue, so here's hoping... how much did Unwound Future sell in territories outside of Japan, anyway?

Top Bottom