• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (NA) |OT| A puzzling delay

The first trailer for this game is what cemented my decision to get a 3DS (sure has been a while...). Love both series to death, super pumped to be playing the game right now.

Anyone have any luck with Target this morning? I just called and apparently all stores in the New York area only have 2 copies each and they are "damaged out" whatever that means. What?

Just finished Phoenix's first two case. His animations aren't as bad as I thought they would be, especially compared to AA5. Of course everyone else's animations are wonderful. Aldente's eel animation is excellent.

also WTF PENALTIES COUNT AGAINST MY PICARAT SCORE WHAT IS THIS AUUGHHGHUHUG MY SAVE FILE IS RUINEDDDDDDD

DizzyCrow

Just finished Phoenix's first two case. His animations aren't as bad as I thought they would be, especially compared to AA5. Of course everyone else's animations are wonderful. Aldente's eel animation is excellent.

also WTF PENALTIES COUNT AGAINST MY PICARAT SCORE WHAT IS THIS AUUGHHGHUHUG MY SAVE FILE IS RUINEDDDDDDD
No way! This is fucked up.

daydream

Banned
Yeah, I remember restarting because of the damn Picarat penalty.

That paired with the weird save system made for some frustration.

Dominator

My favorites together again

744779D7-9408-423B-9066-8B91ED53A176_zpsvqpt3rxs.jpg

I'm already enjoying this game lol

Kucan

No content was locked behind the picarets in this game, its purely there as a total "score" compared to other Professor Layton games.

Even if there was a lockout, it's usually set up so you can unlock all content with the minimum possible score, getting a better score just means that you unlock stuff earlier.

Fey

Banned
i've made up my mind, i think im gonna get this

sigh

it better be good

and for the record my ranking is 3 > 1 > 2 >> 4 > 5

all 5 of AA3's cases are solid, even if a specific one isn't my favourite.
Case 1-5 is one of my favourite cases in the series, and the rest of the cases are solid even if too easy.
Case 2-4 IS my favourite case in the series, but the first three really bring the game down.
And AA4 would equal AA5 were it not for the better music + lack of awful anime cut scenes + better final villain.

Buckled and bought this because I took advantage of that gamestop promotion coupon and managed to score $27 off of two fairly old games.

Can't wait. Lets see if I can beat this before Danganronpa 2 releases!

I haven't finished Ace Attorney 4 yet. Any spoilers or story elements in this one that pertain to past Ace Attorney games or is it a stand alone story?

NotLiquid

I haven't finished Ace Attorney 4 yet. Any spoilers or story elements in this one that pertain to past Ace Attorney games or is it a stand alone story?

Ace Attorney-wise it's a stand alone story that fits anywhere after the first game and before Apollo Justice.

Personally my AA rankings are:

3 > 5 > 1 > AAI2 > 2 > 4 > AAI1

This game was a pretty big disappointment to me back when it came out in Europe. Couldn't get into the story at all unfortunately and the twists are really not that engaging since I don't care for the characters and the Layton-style storytelling. The game play was great though with the best new gimmick for AA game play but it was pretty jarring going between both types of game play.

Still worth a playthrough though.

So I suffered through 45 minutes of Layton to get to the Ace Attorney stuff, when, lo and behold:

"Defence," "honour..." really?

We had to wait how many months to get this? And they didn't change the Queen's English?

Tizoc

So I suffered through 45 minutes of Layton to get to the Ace Attorney stuff, when, lo and behold:

We had to wait how many months to get this? And they didn't change the Queen's English?

u wot m8? u gut a pro'lem wit tha English?

MrBadger

Since this thread seems to be more about which Wright game is the best, I figured I'd make my list complete with all the Layton games I've played.

Ace Attorney=Prosecutor's Path=Lost Future>T&T>VS Layton>Dual Destinies>Miracle Mask>Apollo Justice>Justice for All>Azran Lecacy>Last Spector>Ace Attorney Investigations

The quality gap isn't that big though since I really like all the games. I honestly find it difficult ranking them because you have stuff like T&T being consistently good, then JFA having the best last case but every other case being crap.

Well it makes sense for the English characters to talk like that. If I remember, Nick and Maya have the American spellings. Not going to defend the huge delay, though.

Fey

Banned
so i just went to 4-5 stores looking for this and NONE of them had it, and said they only received 3-4 copies of the game

what the FUCK is wrong with nintendo, it's like fire emblem all over again, why promote this game like they have only to barely send any copies to stores? wasn't this game fucking revealed in 2010 or 11? no i AM NOT GOING TO BUY IT ON UR SHITTY E SHOP WITH THE CURRENT SYSTEM u jackholes

i mean i was able to find VIRTUE'S LAST FUCKING REWARD after only looking in 2 stores. nintendo can fucking PRETEND it doesn't want the online/digital only future microsoft wanted but those cunts are definitely looking into it. thank FUCK for danganronpa 2, im glad ill be able to enjoy that on MY PLAYSTATION VITA.

fuck I AM DONE with this shitty as fucking cunt of a company

Bought the game but I probably won't get it till Wednesday, I should have gone digital.

I'll just play Gunvolt and other stuff as I wait for my copy.

so i just went to 4-5 stores looking for this and NONE of them had it, and said they only received 3-4 copies of the game

what the FUCK is wrong with nintendo, it's like fire emblem all over again, why promote this game like they have only to barely send any copies to stores? wasn't this game fucking revealed in 2010 or 11? no i AM NOT GOING TO BUY IT ON UR SHITTY E SHOP WITH THE CURRENT SYSTEM u jackholes

i mean i was able to find VIRTUE'S LAST FUCKING REWARD after only looking in 2 stores. nintendo can fucking PRETEND it doesn't want the online/digital only future microsoft wanted but those cunts are definitely looking into it. thank FUCK for danganronpa 2, im glad ill be able to enjoy that on MY PLAYSTATION VITA.

Dude, just get it on Amazon.

I was able to find it in the first best buy i walked into, and they hadn't even brought it out of the back yet.

What area do you live in with so many layton/wright fanatics?

Edit: i second buying it on amazon. It'll probably arrive before danganronpa 2 comes out anyway.

ohlawd

a meltdown in a tame thread like this, too good.

sorry, Fey. where the fuck did you go though? better be a big retailer and not some jank mom and pop store.

Heh, I remember finding Fire Emblem at the first Target I checked

Cody_D165

Banned
Target is like my secret weapon. Nobody ever buys games at my local target. If best buy didn't have it, you bet target would have.

Mine's Toys R Us. Homies even usually have fantastic deals when you buy a game on launch day. Back when I picked up Dream Team they told me I could take a $20 game for free.

As excited as I am for this game, it's pretty disappointing to boot it up and be greeted with Luke's British voice actor. A five month gap between releases and they didn't actually bother to change anything? What the hell is up with that?

As excited as I am for this game, it's pretty disappointing to boot it up and be greeted with Luke's British voice actor. A five month gap between releases and they didn't actually bother to change anything? What the hell is up with that?

I was actually just about to post this. Wtf is going on that this isn't even up to the localization standards of the typical layton games?

Top Bottom