• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (NA) |OT| A puzzling delay

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Eugh, it's annoying that the NA release still has the EU voice actors. Luke is supposed to be from a posh family but the UK voice makes him sound like an oik.

Ah well, I guess it's a spin-off so it doesn't matter too much.

I kind of want to play this, but I don't know if I have the motivation to play any VN for a while since finishing Danganronpa 2. Of course it might be rare by the time I do work up the motivation, so no idea if I should buy it now or not.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
I just put the game in and realized I had an important question. When does this game take place in each respective timeline? I've played every PW game and all the NDS Layton ones.

So how would this be for a jumping on point for someone who has never played either series?

I just put the game in and realized I had an important question. When does this game take place in each respective timeline? I've played every PW game and all the NDS Layton ones.

These games have very few references to previous entries in either series, just some vague sense that it takes place at some point in each series' original trilogy, so it's perfect as a jumping-on point for someone who hasn't played either series. In fact, I'd say people who haven't played either series will have a better time with this game than people who have only played one. Gameplay-wise, the Layton puzzles and the courtroom scenes seem a bit easier than they do in the main games, presumably for newcomers.

I'm loving this game so far, but fuck that
stupid mouse costume
puzzle. How exactly was I supposed to solve that without buying the super hint or trial and error a dozen times?

Cody_D165

Banned
I know I'm posting about the music a lot but I just got to the point in the first witch trial where the Cornered theme plays

I said god damn
i6sELHf.gif

tuffy

I'm having a lot of fun with it thus far, but the Phoenix Wright parts naturally come across as more compelling than the Professor Layton ones since the trial segment tie directly to the main plot while the puzzles are mostly abstract block moving minigames and such. Though since it's a Level-5 game, Layton's got to butt in and contribute something outside of just solving riddles around town - which makes Phoenix seem a bit less competent than usual.

Tizoc

These games have very few references to previous entries in either series, just some vague sense that it takes place at some point in each series' original trilogy, so it's perfect as a jumping-on point for someone who hasn't played either series. In fact, I'd say people who haven't played either series will have a better time with this game than people who have only played one. Gameplay-wise, the Layton puzzles and the courtroom scenes seem a bit easier than they do in the main games, presumably for newcomers.

This is game is non-canon....that's how I treat it at least.

NotLiquid

This is game is non-canon....that's how I treat it at least.

I don't really think you have to worry about canonicity with this game, for good or ill. The game as a whole is treated with enough care not to conflict with existing games to the point that it might as well be canon for both series. That's one of the things I can commend this game for; they actually try to legitimately make it seem like an actual crossover that could happen for both games, not just a random mish-mash of worlds.

Oh wow. Either I missed something or they never quite explained that properly, because I thought it was a dumb translation goof.

Nope, that was 100% intentional and (WT1 spoiler)
part of the solution to one of the rebuttals.You were supposed to look at the Spellbook yourself and find out that the spell doesn´t do what the people are telling you it does. It was a great "puzzle"

Edit: I played a bit with my EU copy today and I´m still impressed by the production values. Literally through the roof for a puzzle game/ visual novel. It makes Dual Destinies look cheap in comparison (not that I´m obsessed with pvs or anything....it is just pretty remarkable imo)

Kusagari

I'm not really sure what they could have done to change them up, but so far the Layton parts feel pretty much the same as any other Layton game. Meanwhile they go full-blown crazy with the Wright parts and really take advantage of the setting.

Cross-examining of multiple witnesses at the same time, the judge constantly in disbelief at Wright's use of logic, and my favorite part of the game so far has to be when "some guy" interrupts the trial and comes down to become yet another witness.

Lusankya

I'm not really sure what they could have done to change them up, but so far the Layton parts feel pretty much the same as any other Layton game. Meanwhile they go full-blown crazy with the Wright parts and really take advantage of the setting.

Maybe that 's because the writer was Shu Takumi, the creator of Ace Attorney?

Also for AA it's a totally new setting, but for PL the setting isn't exactly new.

epmode

God, I want Maya back in a mainline Ace Attorney game.

I guess I'll buy this game, GAF. I've lost interest in Layton games but I can't get enough AA.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
The characters in this game are so hilariously quirky. Love Emeer and (extremely minor/negligible spoiler)
the ear ringing every time the courier yells "SIIIIIIIIIIR!"
cracks me up. I really like the multiple witnesses too in general, they make for some very funny moments.

Fey

Banned
layton's prologue was boring af (and luke's voice is so weeny wtf) but the phoenix prologue has me wanting this game to be renamed Ace Attorney 5

God, I want Maya back in a mainline Ace Attorney game.

!!!!!! her + phoenix remain the peak

spiritfox

OMG this mouse puzzle makes no sense at all. PUZZLE 26 SPOILERS
There's also no hint in that picture at all that the tails signify that they're good or bad, or that you should be even be looking at their tails at all. I had to look at all the hints before I could even start to work out the puzzle.

So far I'm disappointed at the puzzles, most of which is just trial and error. There has been none that made me go "oh, this is clever" like the first Layton game had.

maxcriden

Is there anywhere to see if Nintendo announced the winners of the Twitter contest? I was hoping to be one of the 14 winners but I don't know if they'll publicly announce them. Thanks!

Isotope

Small question: during the trial sections, what happens when you get a Game Over? Do you restart from your last save point, or is it like Dual Destinies, where you're able to jump right back into the trial and try again?

duckroll

Finished the first real chapter. The Layton stuff is certainly better than the prologue, but it still feels pretty weak compared to a real Layton game. The puzzles don't seem as good, and a lot of it is just walking around in a very linear fashion and talking to people for long stretches of time. Looks like the first witch trial starts in chapter 2 though, so that should be fun!

The animation sequences are really fantastic though. I can totally see why Kameda got the gig as the action animation director for this project. He made his name by animating the awesome Mustang vs Lust battle in FMA Brotherhood and a lot of Mustang's attacks later in the series including his fight with Envy, and this game is FILLED with awesome fire sequences all over. Mmmmm. :)

Small question: during the trial sections, what happens when you get a Game Over? Do you restart from your last save point, or is it like Dual Destinies, where you're able to jump right back into the trial and try again?

You get a choice of restarting the trial or loading a save.

Conezays

On the fence about getting this as I still haven't finished Miracle Mask or the other 3DS Layton game.

Someone convince me to buy :p

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
On the fence about getting this as I still haven't finished Miracle Mask or the other 3DS Layton game.

It appears to have a super low print run so if you're interested at all its probably better to get it sooner than later?

It has an amazing soundtrack?

I dunno, I haven't played it yet but those were my reasons for ordering it already.

duckroll

It's not a very good Layton game. You shouldn't get it for the Layton stuff if you haven't even beaten the better ones.

Conezays

It's not a very good Layton game. You shouldn't get it for the Layton stuff if you haven't even beaten the better ones.

Yeah, I loved the DS Laytons, I think I was just a bit fatigued by the time of the 3DS ones. The switchup in gameplay though is fairly enticing, it's just my endless backlog, haha.

I just got my copy in the mail and noticed on the back of the box it says "Basic reading ability is required to fully enjoy this game", please tell me that is a joke.

Strax

I've never played Phoenix or Prof. Layton games but I've been watching a playthrough of this game (something like 60 mins) and it looks fun. How long are those games and what are the best games in the series?

K-A-Deman

Is it just me or did the voice acting make the end of the 1st trial more disturbing?

(1st TRIAL SPOILERS)
I imagined Fiora from X:C being burned alive...

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
Is it just me or did the voice acting make the end of the 1st trial more disturbing?

(1st TRIAL SPOILERS)
I imagined Fiora from X:C being burned alive...
What confused me was how surprised the cast was that the witch would be burned... Did they all forget what they walked in on not 30min ago?

What confused me was how surprised the cast was that the witch would be burned... Did they all forget what they walked in on not 30min ago?

No, they knew, just
they didn't put it together until it was too late that proving the client was not guilty and that someone else was meant they would be executed then and there.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
No, they knew, just
they didn't put it together until it was too late that proving the client was not guilty and that someone else was meant they would be executed then and there.
Eh, still pretty jarring. You'd think the two famed thinkers of their universes would put 2 and 2 together. Still enjoying the game though!

Verelios

I always imagined Maya's voice as being a lot higher. Meh, I'll take what I get. Loving the game although the trial sections are like crack for me.

Sit the fuck down Layton. I swear. Worse than Trucy.

Frolow

Banned
Reading a post on /v/ and someone said that
Darklaw is the something-witch.

Did I get spoiled? I should really stay off the site when I'm playing a new game lol.

ohlawd

I only just started chapter 1 >_>

as someone who owns a bunch of Layton games but never actually played them, I liked the easy puzzles in the prologue <_<

Reading a post on /v/ and someone said that
Darklaw is the something-witch.

Did I get spoiled? I should really stay off the site when I'm playing a new game lol.

Just stick with it. In the grand scheme, the identity of
each of the witches
isn't even that important. But do be a bit more careful or you might spoil something actually important.

Uh, no? You see that on a lot of RPGs and text-driven games like this.

Uh I don't think it's common at all. I've never seen it before in any of my other RPG's and text adventures. This isn't even on bottom in small print next the legal and credit jargon it's right on the back artwork. No shit basic reading is required. It's required for all games. Even import games I have in foreign languages still require "basic" reading comprehension. How dumb do they think their audience is?

zroid

Banned
Uh I don't think it's common at all. I've never seen it before in any of my other RPG's and text adventures. This isn't even on bottom in small print next the legal and credit jargon it's right on the back artwork. No shit basic reading is required. It's required for all games. Even import games I have in foreign languages still require "basic" reading comprehension. How dumb do they think their audience is?
You're completely missing the point, they're just telling parents not to buy it for their young children.

Makonero

I only just started chapter 1 >_>

as someone who owns a bunch of Layton games but never actually played them, I liked the easy puzzles in the prologue <_<

I find that even though the puzzles are vastly simpler than normal Layton fare, I've enjoyed the breeziness and the quick pacing of the game more for it. I completed the first three Layton games and got bored halfway through the fourth, so I definitely enjoy Layton games, but I like the mix-up between puzzles and the courtroom Ace Attorney stuff. I just finished Chapter 6 and I am really loving this game. The characterization and humor is top notch, surprisingly dark story, and even though the different art styles between the main characters is a bit jarring (particularly Layton himself and the more detailed Ace Attorney characters) I have found it an enjoyable ride thus far. Far more enjoyable than the fourth game of either series. I wouldn't be upset if AA6 had puzzles in the investigation mode if it meant bringing back investigation mode!

Cody_D165

Banned

It's definitely present on the back of a lot of my 3DS games, including Pokemon X/Y, Bravely Default, Mario and Luigi: Dream Team, and Zelda ALBW, just to name a few.

MrBadger

I've imported a few games without knowing a lick of Japanese and managed just fine. Also yeah, I've seen that on a fair few games as well. I don't think it's very uncommon.

You're completely missing the point, they're just telling parents not to buy it for their young children.

Well if the parent can't tell from the box art that a game called professor layton vs phoenix wright ace attorney might not be able to hold little johnny's attention, a small blurb on the back of the box aint gonna do it.

It's definitely present on the back of a lot of my 3DS games, including Pokemon X/Y, Bravely Default, Mario and Luigi: Dream Team, and Zelda ALBW, just to name a few.

Okay it might be this. I don't have too many 3DS games. It could be a Nintendo thing now.

Top Bottom