• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (NA) |OT| A puzzling delay

Nimajneb

UPS updated the estimated delivery of my Amazon preorder to Tuesday. A single day delay normally wouldn't be so bad, but the three day weekend makes it painful. I need this game.

Koppai

Picked it up today, noticed Nintendo were cheapasses and printed the Club Nintendo code on the back side of the boxart.

Sounds like NoA just took the EU version and released it here just like they did with Xenoblade, The Last Story, and Pandora's Tower lol.

Just started playing, but...

Holy crap, button controls for Layton investigations!
A COUNTER for hidden puzzles and hint coins!?!?!?

Huh? you can go back to the title screen in the menu

...in my defense, that look like an icon you would hit if you wanted to leave the menu, not exit the game.

Ventara

Got home about an hour ago. Game was delivered today and is sitting in front of me. this was THE game I most wanted when I picked the 3DS up a few years back. Can't believe it's just sitting in front of me now. And I have the next four days off to give it my full attention. So happy.

Picked it up today, noticed Nintendo were cheapasses and printed the Club Nintendo code on the back side of the boxart.

Sounds like NoA just took the EU version and released it here just like they did with Xenoblade, The Last Story, and Pandora's Tower lol.

XSEED released TLS and PT here in NA.

THAT title screen theme right when i booted up brought such a smile to my face. i just sat there to listen to the whole thing.. .

Koppai

Got home about an hour ago. Game was delivered today and is sitting in front of me. this was THE game I most wanted when I picked the 3DS up a few years back. Can't believe it's just sitting in front of me now. And I have the next four days off to give it my full attention. So happy.

XSEED released TLS and PT here in NA.

Yeah and they were just the EU version on a disc lol.

Thores

Just played the first half hour. Maya's voice actress only sounds half as perky as the character does in my head, and the story's certainly off to a weird start. Definitely more intrigued than I am turned off though! This'll be a nice game to play on the train to work.

Frolow

Banned
As excited as I am for this game, it's pretty disappointing to boot it up and be greeted with Luke's British voice actor. A five month gap between releases and they didn't actually bother to change anything? What the hell is up with that?

I'm glad I haven't played any of the Layton games, that would bother the piss out of me. And speaking of the localization, why didn't they get Phoenix's voice actor from AA5 to do the role again? Feels inconsistent.

Well, I'm not very far into the game yet so this is probably premateur, but I am not feeling the voice acting or dialogue at all. The reading of practically every line has been incredibly flat with weird, unnatural pauses. The writing itself also seems very uninspired. I haven't played a Layton game since the original on DS so I can't really recall the writing very well, but there was absolutely no humor at all in the first chapter.

Just got into the first court scene, so I hope it picks up from here.

Adamator

I remember that trailer so well. I remember when I first heard about this game, I was so excited. I was like, this can't be real, someone is screwing with us.

Played about an hour already. Loving it so
Far.

This game better have some kind of sound test unlockable or something!

Arclaid

I haven't played a Layton game since the original on DS so I can't really recall the writing very well, but there was absolutely no humor at all in the first chapter.

Just got into the first court scene, so I hope it picks up from here.

The first chapter was pretty in-line with mainline Layton games, which (in my opinion) don't really have much humor. The humour in this game picks up quite a fair bit, though.

This game better have some kind of sound test unlockable or something!

Animated cutscenes, soundtrack, and voice clips are all unlockable.

Cody_D165

Banned
Localization annoyances aside I'm in love with this game so far. Feels like exactly what I wanted from a Layton/Wright crossover.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Played through chapter 2. I really like it so far. The music is really great, and chapter 2 was pretty funny. Eager to play some more tomorrow.

carlsojo

The Layton part is a drag, but god damn do I love the Phoenix. Is the cross-examination music a remastered version of the original? I love it!

The Ace Attorney music is SO good. Confess the truth 2012 and coutroom magician are some of the best tracks in the series.

Edit: ^ The music in the british courtroom is remixed from the first AA.

Cabal

Question: I like Layton games and have played through all of them through Miracle Mask I also like Phoenix Wright but I have only played 1 and 2. I have the rest of them on my shelf. That said, I really want to play this but not if there are major spoilers for Trials and Tribulations. For those that have played through it, am I safe to pick this up now?

I know, I should play Phoenix Wright 3 first but I love the crossover idea and have wanted to grab this since it was announced.

Give both the chance to breathe.

Layton vs. AA doesn´t deserve to be marathoned . It is too good for that.
Yeah, I don't like to rush through games. Especially when it's ones I've been looking forward to for so long.

I'll probably just take the long weekend off, start DR2 first, then follow up with this.

duckroll

Finished the Layton prologue so far. Puzzles were total ass so far, everything feels super dumbed down compared to a Layton game, interface feels familiar yet... jankier than actual Layton games. Doesn't seem very promising gameplay-wise. The anime cutscenes are fucking amazing, but of course I would expect no less from BONES and Yoshimichi Kameda. Great effects, great action, delicious lighting, superb stylized camera angles. Probably going to be worth it for the animation alone, but the game isn't looking too hot.

Edit: Oh, it really uses the EU dub cast for Layton? Fuck I knew something was sounding off. What the fuck is this crap NoA?

NotLiquid

Question: I like Layton games and have played through all of them through Miracle Mask I also like Phoenix Wright but I have only played 1 and 2. I have the rest of them on my shelf. That said, I really want to play this but not if there are major spoilers for Trials and Tribulations. For those that have played through it, am I safe to pick this up now?

I know, I should play Phoenix Wright 3 first but I love the crossover idea and have wanted to grab this since it was announced.

There aren't any spoilers in the game for preceding titles. The most it will assume of you is that you know they're established characters at this point. The crossover is made to be as accessible as possible to both series hence why it drops the two franchises off in a new setting

The Ace Attorney music is SO good. Confess the truth 2012 and coutroom magician are some of the best tracks in the series.
The
Witch
Trial themes are amazing, The Winning Combination and Spell Breaker are so good.

Yes.

And consider playing T&T when you're done.

Frolow

Banned
What's with the abrupt pauses in the text? It seems like every few words there's a 2 second pause before they move onto the next word.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
I have off work Monday, I hope I get my copy this weekend. Does Amazon make shipments on Sunday? 'Cause that's what its telling me on the order page... I didn't know they did that.

jschreier

Did anyone else notice that in the first real trial, they kept switching names for one of the spells? That really bugged me.

Did anyone else notice that in the first real trial, they kept switching names for one of the spells? That really bugged me.

Which spell? I don't remember that being in the EU version

Unless you mean (witch trial 1 spoilers, obviously)
Dimere and Amere. The first spell makes things disappear, the second makes them reappear... In which case, I don't see why it would have bugged you.

duckroll

Finished up the Phoenix Wright portion of the prologue. That was -much- better. Way less half-assed than the Layton portion. Still rather simple, but it made for a better gameplay introduction. Hopefully the Layton stuff improves.

jschreier

Which spell? I don't remember that being in the EU version

Unless you mean (witch trial 1 spoilers, obviously)
Dimere and Amere. The first spell makes things disappear, the second makes them reappear... In which case, I don't see why it would have bugged you.
Oh wow. Either I missed something or they never quite explained that properly, because I thought it was a dumb translation goof.

Asbear

Banned

having now seen multiple pieces of evidence, I'd say this is true... except for Luke's US voice.

Sooooooo I feel like it's painfully obvious right now who the G
reat Witc
h is. Kind of a bummer. Oh well. Loving the game so far. Finished the first real trial. The Layton sections feel just like a Layton game, and the Phoenix sections feel like Phoenix Wright games, except everyone is an idiot and Layton is there being a know-it-all. It's nice to hear that nothing's locked behind the Picarats.

Oh wow. Either I missed something or they never quite explained that properly, because I thought it was a dumb translation goof.

It was right there in the spellbook.

Top Bottom