• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (NA) |OT| A puzzling delay

zroid

Banned
Well if the parent can't tell from the box art that a game called professor layton vs phoenix wright ace attorney might not be able to hold little johnny's attention, a small blurb on the back of the box aint gonna do it.

That's irrelevant. It's a disclaimer.

edit: and yes obviously Nintendo is more concerned with parents bothering them about "hey what am I supposed to do with this game I bought for my kid, nobody warned me it'd be useless!!!" than other companies

jrcbandit

I am playing the first real Trial portion and it is annoying that in this game and all the prior Phoenix Wright games that the witnesses can lie with impunity. After being caught in the lie, they completely change their testimony and the judge and prosecutor 100% believe their new "testimony" that is soon revealed to be yet another lie. Then they are given the chance to change their testimony yet again to whatever they want and again the judge/prosecutor fully believe them. Only reason I can get through these portions is because I love the animations when the witnesses get caught. Well at least in the fantasy world it is a bit more believable that there is no such thing as perjury lol...

I am playing the first real Trial portion and it is annoying that in this game and all the prior Phoenix Wright games that the witnesses can lie with impunity. After being caught in the lie, they completely change their testimony and the judge and prosecutor 100% believe their new "testimony" that is soon revealed to be yet another lie. Then they are given the chance to change their testimony yet again to whatever they want and again the judge/prosecutor fully believe them. Only reason I can get through these portions is because I love the animations when the witnesses get caught. Well at least in the fantasy world it is a bit more believable that there is no such thing as perjury lol...
Also I think it is weird in video games when you shoot someone and they need multiple bullets to die

It appears to have a super low print run so if you're interested at all its probably better to get it sooner than later?

Do you know this for sure?

I haven't gotten the game yet because I'm way behind on the series and tend to wait for a sale on most games I get anyway. But if it's likely to run out sooner than most Nintendo-published titles I guess I should pick it up.

jrcbandit

Also I think it is weird in video games when you shoot someone and they need multiple bullets to die

I'm not asking for an accurate legal game. If it was, then you would win less than 1% of your cases since Japan has like a 99%+ conviction rate. Cases aren't brought to trial unless they are assured ahead of time that they will win. And of course the lawyers don't do the criminal investigation, cases aren't brought 1-2 days after the murder, etc...

The point I was trying to make is how ridiculous it is for the judge and prosecutor to 100% believe the new lies the witnesses make and the Judge is ready to give a Guilty Verdict when the Witness was previously been shown to be constantly lying. A better take would just to have more witnesses once you destroy the credibility of an initial witness.

Serrato

First time I'm playing any Layton gameplay, it does seems fun!

And that music, they didn't pull anything did they?

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
I'm not asking for an accurate legal game. If it was, then you would win less than 1% of your cases since Japan has like a 99%+ conviction rate. Cases aren't brought to trial unless they are assured ahead of time that they will win. And of course the lawyers don't do the criminal investigation, cases aren't brought 1-2 days after the murder, etc...

The point I was trying to make is how ridiculous it is for the judge and prosecutor to 100% believe the new lies the witnesses make and the Judge is ready to give a Guilty Verdict when the Witness was previously been shown to be constantly lying. A better take would just to have more witnesses once you destroy the credibility of an initial witness.
It's just a law of the world. Rotating between >10 witnesses per trial would be a bit exhausting. I like the character building as the testimony goes on. Totally understand your complaint though.

Still in the Phoenix prologue/first trial and my goodness, are these versions of Ace Attorney music just amazing. What a treat to have this and the Dual Destinies ones as well.

Oh, and I mustn't forget the title screen. It's been a long time since I had no desire to immediately hit the start button.

Cheska

Do you know this for sure?

I haven't gotten the game yet because I'm way behind on the series and tend to wait for a sale on most games I get anyway. But if it's likely to run out sooner than most Nintendo-published titles I guess I should pick it up.

It's in stock and available on Amazon, but I have personally noticed low/sold out stock status at most stores.

Yousefb

How does this compare to Dual Destinies?
Better? Worse? Completely different?
I love the Phoenix Wright series but for some reason I couldn't finish DD, I wasn't gripped like the others.
the nine tails case dragged on for way too long

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Just got my copy this morning, happily played through the Layton prologue, started the Phoenix prologue and got this scene...

zlCfzSZK54UqW--V51

The first time you hear that Objection theme!!! DAMN. It's glorious. I am going to LOVE this game! I am already loving all the music, the voice acting, and its so refreshing to see Maya again!! Seriously, we had no Maya in Apollo Justice, AA Investigations, and then AA Dual Destinies. It's so nice to have her character return! This game is feeling like an "HD Remix" of the AA1-3.

I've only played an hour and I get the feeling that this game is going to be GOTY material for me. I have LOVED the AA series, and has always been interested in the Layton series, but couldn't stick it out long enough (story wasn't interesting enough for me). So having these two franchises together is a match made in heaven for myself.

I love the Phoenix Wright series but for some reason I couldn't finish DD, I wasn't gripped like the others.

You.... you... didn't finish Dual Destinies? I am shocked. That game had a pretty damn good ending. The last case was AWESOME (aren't they always?)! I'd say go finish that before playing this. You're missing out on some real good Ace Attorney'ing!

Honestly, I'm such a fan boy I love ALL the AA games, even Apollo. It's really hard for me to rank any of them above each other. It's really the only video game series that I am "This is a perfect game, I see no flaws!!" all fan boy about.

Okay, I should get back to playing the game. I have left the game on Objection theme loop for about the last fifteen minutes....

It appears to have a super low print run so if you're interested at all its probably better to get it sooner than later?

I've checked a Target and a Best Buy where I am, and it appears that Target only had 2 copies left (I got 1, so 1 left), and Best Buy had none.

Just beat this and thought it was a pretty good game. The music was absolutely stunning, and definitely my favorite part of the experience. The puzzles were definitely really easy, but I still enjoyed most. I also really loved the group cross-examinations. I'd love a sequel that uses the concept again because they were so freaking cool.

ENDGAME SPOILERS:
The 10-man cross examination was INCREDIBLE. Such a great concept. However... the ending to this trial made me feel pretty horrible. I was expecting the Layton style twist so that didn't bother me much at all, but man did Wright feel useless at the end. I kept waiting for a moment for Phoenix to show his unwavering belief in his client or something, and it never came. Layton just moved things towards the conclusion and Wright played catch-up. Truly infurating, as it kind of defeats the purpose of an all-star team up. Phoenix and Maya ended up just looking like a couple of mooks.

Makonero

I'm in Chapter 8. And loving it.

Seriously, this game brings a smile to my face like none other. So damn charming! And yet dark. And weird.

BTW, I love having multiple witnesses at once. What a wonderful new way to cross examine. The little quirks in (Chapter 8 mild spoilers)
all ten of the Vigilantes was amazing. Insanely quirky and a great mix of the weirdness of Layton characters and the wackiness of Ace Attorney ones.

ZeroX03

Banned
ENDGAME SPOILERS:
The 10-man cross examination was INCREDIBLE. Such a great concept. However... the ending to this trial made me feel pretty horrible. I was expecting the Layton style twist so that didn't bother me much at all, but man did Wright feel useless at the end. I kept waiting for a moment for Phoenix to show his unwavering belief in his client or something, and it never came. Layton just moved things towards the conclusion and Wright played catch-up. Truly infurating, as it kind of defeats the purpose of an all-star team up. Phoenix and Maya ended up just looking like a couple of mooks.

They've kind of always been a couple of mooks. With Layton around, there was no need for Phoenix to stumble/bluff his way into the truth. The Prof is just too smart.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Just finished. I loved it. The Layton puzzles are definitely easier than usual overall, but the court stuff, especially the group of witnesses (I'm definitely going to miss it), was amazing. Awesome characters in general, and I thought the story was fine for what it was. I thought overall as a crossover it felt perfectly natural, which is as good a compliment as you can give I guess. Great soundtrack too. I had been kind of burnt out on Layton (still have to get around to picking up Azran Legacy), but I love the characters from that series and have been a big Ace Attorney fan, so this really hit the spot for me.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
.... I think I've spent more time letting the music in the game play while browsing GAF than actually playing the game lol

Oh and the 3D is really nice too! I'm digging it more than Dual Destinies... even though I'm sure they were pretty much the "same". The depth when investigating the scenery on the Layton puzzles always impressed me, looks real sharp.

I'm almost finished and I just want to say ... Level 5 produced Layton games have got to be the most polished games in existence. Damn, there's so much incidental pixel art and animations (the mini pixel art portraits of every location in the map screens come to mind). And the art is just beautiful in every single area. And the cutscenes!

I think the perfect game would have Nintendo EAD doing the game design, Level 5 doing the development, and Shu Takumi doing the writing. This one has 2 out of 3.

Tizoc

Since some of you have reached the final Court Trial,
was that the most hilarious thing ever in a PW game or what? I wish I could re-experience it once again...

Niraj

Since some of you have reached the final Court Trial,
was that the most hilarious thing ever in a PW game or what? I wish I could re-experience it once again...

Completely awesome, it cracked me up.

On another note, I liked the first special episode too. I'm assuming those are weekly?

RobbieNick

Early game spoiler

Phoenix: One thing about this case I don't understand Maya.

Maya:
Who really hit the Chef on the head?

Phoenix:
No, why Espella was charged with everything BUT trespassing which she is clearly guilty of.

Just started chapter 3. Witch Trials are fantastic. Layton gameplay is mostly the same as his games (so it's great), but the fantasy setting really shakes up Ace attorney stuff in a good way. Can't wait for the next one.

Finished the second non-prologue trial, and so far I've been able to figure out who the culprit is within the first half hour, and I'm fairly certain I know who the culprit is for the final trial. It's kind of annoying.

Finished the second non-prologue trial, and so far I've been able to figure out who the culprit is within the first half hour, and I'm fairly certain I know who the culprit is for the final trial. It's kind of annoying.

Lots of Phoenix Wright cases are structured that way. It's the Columbo mystery model. The mystery isn't who the culprit is, it's how you can prove it.

duckroll

Just finished chapter 3. Overall the game picks up quite a bit after a slow start. The Layton parts are definitely the weaker half, but there was a bit more effort put into the exploration and puzzles in chapter 3. The story getting much more interesting helps too. Hope the second Witch Trial is as good as the first one.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Hmm... impressions seem really positive on this. Maybe I should pick it up. I'm not really into Layton at all (I don't dislike it. I'm just not terribly interested in it), but I love AA. Seems kinda rad.

Fey

Banned

As someone who strongly hated dual destinies and hates the direction that it suggests the main series seems to be going in, I am really enjoying this game! It does feel a bit more like a Professor Layton FEAT. Phoenix Wright game, though, so far.

This game has also made me realize that clearly one of the main reasons I can't enjoy AA4, 5, and even AAI1 and 2 as much as AA1-3 is because AA1-3 era Phoenix + Maya >>>

Just finished the first witch trial and I'm really liking it.

Unison

If I've only played the first two or three PW games and the first three Layton games, can I jump right into this without spoilers or missing main plot events, or is the story independent?

I intend to go back and do the other PW/Layton games I have in my backlog... Should I do them before this?

Arclaid

If I've only played the first two or three PW games and the first three Layton games, can I jump right into this without spoilers or missing main plot events, or is the story independent?

I intend to go back and do the other PW/Layton games I have in my backlog... Should I do them before this?

You can jump right in. The game has a few references to both series, but doesn't contain spoilers for either of them. It's very much an independent story.

Niraj

You'd be perfectly fine.

Just finished the game. Man that was good

Endgame spoilers

dat Layton prosecutor role!

The game did flow pretty well. Nice touch with the different music and sound effects using the styles from both games.

Makonero

Finished it seconds ago.
Gotta love that Layton-esque ridiculous ending! And the Edgeworth cameo at the end.

SO GOOD. What a great way to spend sixteen hours on a Labor day weekend.

ENDING SPOILERS
Can't say I'm a fan of Storyteller and Darklaw getting out with a happy ending. Darklaw genuinely tried to get her friend burned at the stake. And how the hell does Storyteller get informed consent for his brainwashing experiments from a pair of 5 year olds? Not to mention he tried to murder Layton. Hell what was even the point of the "I'm secretly dying" part?

Uh I don't think it's common at all. I've never seen it before in any of my other RPG's and text adventures. This isn't even on bottom in small print next the legal and credit jargon it's right on the back artwork. No shit basic reading is required. It's required for all games. Even import games I have in foreign languages still require "basic" reading comprehension. How dumb do they think their audience is?

Animal Crossing, Bravely Default, and the 3/DS Pokemon games all have it

MrBadger

ENDING SPOILERS
Can't say I'm a fan of Storyteller and Darklaw getting out with a happy ending. Darklaw genuinely tried to get her friend burned at the stake. And how the hell does Storyteller get informed consent for his brainwashing experiments from a pair of 5 year olds? Not to mention he tried to murder Layton. Hell what was even the point of the "I'm secretly dying" part?

Also ending spoilers
The ending bugged me as well. They try to play it off as a happy ending, but Newton Belduke is still dead, Eve still accidentally burned a village full of people to the ground and the Storyteller still made the people living in his experiment do horrible things. He got way too carried away with his witch stories. Also "I'm dying. Haha just kidding." was dumb. Reminded me of that breast cancer thing in The Room.

Kouichi

I just got back from buying this. I expect great things.

I've never played any of the Layton games, but I'm an avid Phoenix Wright fan.

Just finished the first trial with Phoenix Wright. I am more impressed with this game than I thought I would be. When the game was first revealed the graphics looked bland and rather bad but I am really digging the visuals. While not on the level of Dual Destinies it still is a pretty game, especially in animations. They even do some things with the 3D that I don't remember them doing with DD. While I think the Layton parts drag on a little too much and I'm not a fan of the puzzles at all they do have a sort of charm to them. I am actually interested to where the story is going to go. So far good first impressions.

Also I'm actually surprised by the amount of ads I've seen on youtube. Honest to God marketing. Must be a Layton thing.

Fey

Banned
lawd during the 2nd witch trial when
phoenix exposes Greyerl's lie and Espella and Luke turn Golden Layton to match the Objection pose with Phoenix
i screamed

Serrato

Hey guys I crahed the game when I closed the 3DS lid right after finishing the
sun/moon puzzle in the great archives.

Makonero

lawd during the 2nd witch trial when
phoenix exposes Greyerl's lie and Espella and Luke turn Golden Layton to match the Objection pose with Phoenix
i screamed
Honestly that was one of the moments where I knew this game was tailor made for me. I laughed for ages.

Frost_Ace

ENDING SPOILERS

yeah I agree, the tone of the ending kind of pissed me off, I wish it was darker, I would have liked if Espella and Darklaw escaped together and left the storyteller to die alone, unforgiven.

I was watching the reveal trailer and Luke and the Storyteller are different. Luke is the version of miracle of mask and the storyteller seems like a tipical rich guy from the time. I like the new design better.

Top Bottom