• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project CARS | OT | Made by 80.000 slightly mad developers

xrnzaaas

I've tried RUF CTR in a couple of GT class career events and it's cool. It's hard to compete with the BAC and the McLaren F1, but doable since it accelerates like crazy and is surprisingly fast at taking corners. Only the brakes are shit, but you can expect that from an older car. The new Mustang GT on the other hand is way way too slow for this class and the Ford's always start and finish dead last.

fresquito

I've tried RUF CTR in a couple of GT class career events and it's cool. It's hard to compete with the BAC and the McLaren F1, but doable since it accelerates like crazy and is surprisingly fast at taking corners. Only the brakes are shit, but you can expect that from an older car. The new Mustang GT on the other hand is way way too slow for this class and the Ford's always start and finish dead last.
CTR is Road B and Mustang GT is TC2. I dont undertand why they are racing in the same event.

MetalSlug

Hello everybody!

I noticed that there was a competition going on in the UK by Honda, for the chance to win a Type R for a year. They will be up in Scotland on the 24th/25th of October and you need to complete the fasted lap on the Nürburgring GP Circuit with the Type R.

So a few days ago I decided to buy Project Cars. I am also thinking of getting myself a wheel, but nothing too expensive. I've never owned a wheel before, but I see on Ebay there is a Logitech G25 that I might be able to grab for £100.

Does anybody have some good recommendations on a good priced wheel, and also since Project Cars does not have the Type R, which would be a good substitute for practice?

Thanks!

RP912

Banned
Been playing this game religiously. The 3.0 patch really did wonders with this game and the DLC has been flawless so far. Sure there's still some bugs, but I been having a blast so far.

Anywho, what going on with the hot lap competition that we used to do :p

fresquito

I finally got myself both paid DLCs. I have jut tried the Yellowbird at Ruapuna GP. The car is on the wild side and doesnt like braking without losing the tail, but this is a match made in heaven. Very technical circuit for a very demanding car. Just takibg corners feels satisfying enough to justify both DLCs. So lovely!

Patrick S.

Banned
Hello everybody!

I noticed that there was a competition going on in the UK by Honda, for the chance to win a Type R for a year. They will be up in Scotland on the 24th/25th of October and you need to complete the fasted lap on the Nürburgring GP Circuit with the Type R.

So a few days ago I decided to buy Project Cars. I am also thinking of getting myself a wheel, but nothing too expensive. I've never owned a wheel before, but I see on Ebay there is a Logitech G25 that I might be able to grab for £100.

Does anybody have some good recommendations on a good priced wheel, and also since Project Cars does not have the Type R, which would be a good substitute for practice?

Thanks!

I've driven both a V-TEC Civic (1.6 160ps) and the Integra Type-R with round headlamps. Both cars are very agile and easy to throw around corners. The steering in the Civic was a bit too loose for my liking, the steering on the Integra was much more direct. The Civic had soft suspension, the Integra I've driven had H&R springs and was quite hard. The Civic had 0 torque, the Integra was better in that regard, but still needed more shifting than a more normal car. I think the new Type-R is a turbo, so lack of torque shouldn't be a problem in that.

TL;DR to approximate the Honda you'll need a car that's light and nimble, but doesn't have a lot of torque.

Metfanant

Is the DLC available on PS4 in North America? I looked earlier today and couldn't find it...

Hello everybody!

Thanks!

Maybe the Focus? You need something small and front wheel drive that revs, but has next to no torque

Cubed

Does anyone here actually have any of the cars in the game in real life?

I have a 2015 Mustang GT, so when the DLC came out, I decided to finally buy the game. Anyway, I made a video talking about how the car feels in the game versus how it feels in real life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DeKJBDbIjT8

I'd really love to hear what some of you think of your cars in the game!

P.S. Yes, I'm not very good. I literally put the game on Pro Mode and did like two laps before shooting the video. I may do a follow-up video showing that I'm now a better player, but my thoughts on the Mustang's representation in the game are still the same.

fresquito

Interesting video. Something you need to focus next time: tyre temp. You were checking how tail happy it was out of the pit. All cars will be tail happy with cold tyres and will feel very twitchy.

There's also the turning config. Since you're using a controller it will also feel more twitchy than it really is.

One final note: you should probably check your setup. SMS tend to setup the cars to make them easy. What things can be setup and the range are based on real life data, but they don't go for factory defaults, but for what makes more sense to them from a gameplay point of view.

Cubed

Interesting video. Something you need to focus next time: tyre temp. You were checking how tail happy it was out of the pit. All cars will be tail happy with cold tyres and will feel very twitchy.

There's also the turning config. Since you're using a controller it will also feel more twitchy than it really is.

One final note: you should probably check your setup. SMS tend to setup the cars to make them easy. What things can be setup and the range are based on real life data, but they don't go for factory defaults, but for what makes more sense to them from a gameplay point of view.

Gotcha. Nice info!

DD

After being burned by this game because of the crashes at the Le Mans event, I retired from that race and got to chose what to do at the next season. Honestly I wanted to do endurance races, but Wowbangerbr said that the random crashes are there too, so I entered in whatever mode and pick Formula B for the first time, since I enjoyed the Formula Gulf and Formula Cs. I had no fun at all with it, so I started a new career back with GT3 cars. The problem is: will I stay there doing the same events in the same order, with the same weather for the third (or is the fourth?) time?

Another thing: this game has a nice list of circuits, but it seems to me that the career mode kind of steers me away from many of them. For example, I didn't had a race at Nordschleife, or Zhuhai, Willow Springs, Azure Coast or Azure Circuit yet, for example, even after completing a few seasons and doing many invitational events. Oschersleben (probably the most boring racing circuit ever made in my opinion) on the other hand appears everytime.

Getting real tired of this game...

Apeboy

Going to throw the bullshit flag on all this tire composition, temperature, vehicle setup nonsense being used to excuse away some serious issues in pcars.

SMS did not create (read finish) all cars equally. The gaming device developer simulator mini game found within this game compounds the issues with cars that are not ready for prime time. Tire composition, temperature have been blown out of proportion. Yes tire comp and temp are important and represented in pcars. When cars are snapping and spinning at lower speeds as they do it nothing to do with tires or setup.

Handling in pcars is best described as fragile, there is no envelope to push or edge to maintain. One minuscule movement of the controller and you are done. The sensitivity settings just move that point further away from center and create other issues along the way.

On your way to work tomorrow find a curve or corner you can safely take at 20-30 mph. Dive in a little soon and/or overcompensate exit just ever so little on the way out. Your car won't freak out say like the caterham in pcars.

fresquito

Going to throw the bullshit flag on all this tire composition, temperature, vehicle setup nonsense being used to excuse away some serious issues in pcars.

SMS did not create (read finish) all cars equally. The gaming device developer simulator mini game found within this game compounds the issues with cars that are not ready for prime time. Tire composition, temperature have been blown out of proportion. Yes tire comp and temp are important and represented in pcars. When cars are snapping and spinning at lower speeds as they do it nothing to do with tires or setup.

Handling in pcars is best described as fragile, there is no envelope to push or edge to maintain. One minuscule movement of the controller and you are done. The sensitivity settings just move that point further away from center and create other issues along the way.

On your way to work tomorrow find a curve or corner you can safely take at 20-30 mph. Dive in a little soon and/or overcompensate exit just ever so little on the way out. Your car won't freak out say like the caterham in pcars.
Where did I exactly excuse anything? I just pointed him that cars are way more twitchy with cold tires. Whether they act realistically or not is sometjing i didnt mention.

One thing I would like seeing is people driving real cars with controllers. That would be amazing. I always play with a G27 and variations in the FFB make me feel the game differently, even when the underlying physics are the same. And pressing my pedals slightly more or less can have a big effect in how the car will react, depending on the car. So I can only guess how dificult it is with a trigger and a stick.

Now, slow behaviour needs to improve, but not as much as those with a controller say. Controls? Yeah, probably those need better tweaking for controllers.

TJP

I always play with a G27 and variations in the FFB make me feel the game differently, even when the underlying physics are the same. And pressing my pedals slightly more or less can have a big effect in how the car will react, depending on the car.
I find the default FFB isn't that great; to me the wheel feels heavy without much communication as to what's happening irrespective of classic or default setting. With the Jack Spade tweaker files in place, the FFB is world's better.

Having tried the xbox controller and G27, wheel owners have a better experience than pad players. We PC gamers have the tweaker files to utilse for an even better experience and the tyres have much better feel too.

Mascot

The default joypad controls are bloody awful, probably the worst I've ever experienced. How SMS ever thought they were acceptable is truly baffling. I can't imagine how many casual gamers gave up for good on their first day with pCARS. All SMS had to do was emulate the feel of GT or Forza but I guess, like a lot of things, they just ran out of time.

It's glorious with a FFB wheel and Jack Spade's tweaks, though. It's a shame everybody doesn't have a wheel, and an even bigger shame that a lot of people have perfectly good wheels that money-grabbing cock-blocking has denied them the use of on current-gen consoles.

fresquito

I find the default FFB isn't that great; to me the wheel feels heavy without much communication as to what's happening irrespective of classic or default setting. With the Jack Spade tweaker files in place, the FFB is world's better.

Having tried the xbox controller and G27, wheel owners have a better experience than pad players. We PC gamers have the tweaker files to utilse for an even better experience and the tyres have much better feel too.
I play default with latest option at 1.0 and deadzone removal range at 0.18 If you happen to let the deadzone removal as default the center is totally dead. I really like defaultss. I think they're very informative without being overly agressive. Moreso after 3.0.

fresquito

Just goes to show how subjective FFB is to the end user.
Indeed.

Not only that, I read DDs comment about the Career and I can't relate at all. I have clocked 750+ hours and I have done like three career races so far. I mostly do League and clan MPs, with some Practice sessions for leagues and some TT for our clan competition. I can't remember the last time I played against the Ai.

It's hard to do games in this day and age. People like so much different things!

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
Just bought myself a PS4 & Project Cars, spent all day Sunday getting a controller config I was happy with and then started running the Lotus 49 at Road America for some major GPL nostalgia, great fun but not easy.

Got down to a fairly dirty 2 mins 40 secs, but can see myself hitting low 2:30's pretty quick.

Tried out the Caterham Classic Seven at Donington National too, wonderful!

If anyone fancies a race sometime: PSN: acdaly70

Jamesways

I do think the road cars seem off. So much twitchiness, and any little overcompensation, and you're in a huge tank-slapper.

On an entirely different note, I saw on Facebook that Misty Loch is coming soon!
I LOVED that track in FRL, it'll be a great addition.

Mergesort

I considered buying my first wheel ever with the first investor payment(senior member), but i didn't receive anything yet. Any info on the payment?

paskowitz

Does anyone here actually have any of the cars in the game in real life?

I have a 2015 Mustang GT, so when the DLC came out, I decided to finally buy the game. Anyway, I made a video talking about how the car feels in the game versus how it feels in real life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DeKJBDbIjT8

I'd really love to hear what some of you think of your cars in the game!

P.S. Yes, I'm not very good. I literally put the game on Pro Mode and did like two laps before shooting the video. I may do a follow-up video showing that I'm now a better player, but my thoughts on the Mustang's representation in the game are still the same.

Get a force feedback wheel. Logitech G29, Thrustmaster T300RS or Fanatec CSW V2. That isn't going to suddenly make pCARS better, but it will give you far more control over the car and give you a better idea of how it responds to inputs.

Regardless, it is always interesting to see what people think of video game versions of cars they own or have driven.

Pepto

Banned
I play default with latest option at 1.0 and deadzone removal range at 0.18 If you happen to let the deadzone removal as default the center is totally dead. I really like defaultss. I think they're very informative without being overly agressive. Moreso after 3.0.

I absolutely love the default ffb on my fanatec. Much more responsive than for example Assetto Corsa.

DD

The default joypad controls are bloody awful, probably the worst I've ever experienced. How SMS ever thought they were acceptable is truly baffling. I can't imagine how many casual gamers gave up for good on their first day with pCARS. All SMS had to do was emulate the feel of GT or Forza but I guess, like a lot of things, they just ran out of time.
This.

If anyone is in need, I've posted my settings here. I think it's quite good now. The default settings is crap.

Indeed.

Not only that, I read DDs comment about the Career and I can't relate at all. I have clocked 750+ hours and I have done like three career races so far. I mostly do League and clan MPs, with some Practice sessions for leagues and some TT for our clan competition. I can't remember the last time I played against the Ai.

It's hard to do games in this day and age. People like so much different things!
It's because I only play solo. I'm not into multiplayer stuff. In the case of Formula B I've mentioned before, the problem wasn't the car (the car is kind of a bitch, but I can drive it with some effort) but the suicidal AI. And being so fragile, open wheel racing is kind of annoying in this game. :p

I can relate to a lot of criticism towards pCARS (poorly designed UI, unacepptably broken game at release, stupidly designed controller support, clusterfuck official forum and etc).

But I find its FFB implementation really awesome. I'm not a theoretical physicist to be able to say if the game reproduces the physics of a car on track accurately, like so many people seems to be nowadays, but I didn't find, in all these years playing simulators, any game with so much nuances while driving.

I have a T500 RS since last years's july. Previously, I was a G27 owner.

And by playing Gran Turismo 6 and Driveclub, for instance, I was impressed by the belt driven smoothness of the Thrustmaster being so used to the clunky nature of the Logitech.

But when I first played pCARS, with everything dialed down to my taste, it was like the wheel became even better, more communicative and more natural do use. It didn't felt like the leap from gear to belt driven, but it certainly felt like another revelation.

Later on, I have started playing GSCE, which is in a league of its own regarding FFB, but the initial feel, the "revelation" gave by my first drive on pCARS really sticked.

Mascot

Mmmm... Nice to see Toyota in there. Gives hope of the Mk IV Supra somewhere down the line.

• Aston Martin: DBR1 1959 DBR1-2 LMP1 2009 Vantage GTE
  • Ford: Fusion NASCAR 2013
  • Lotus: Lotus 25 Lotus 51 F3
  • Mercedes Benz: 300 SL W194
  • Mitsubishi: Lancer EVO IX FQ 360 Lancer EVO VI TME
  • Renauld: Alpine A442B
  • TOYOTA: 86 and GT86, TS040 Hybrid LMP1 Star Winner 2014 FIA WEC

Ranger X

General question to PS4 owners....

How is the game now? I mean, in matter of bugs and glitches. And how much does it affect your experience?

Mascot

How is the game now? I mean, in matter of bugs and glitches. And how much does it affect your experience?

Still got little annoying bugs and glitches. Doesn't really affect me at all apart from two, maybe three crashes to dashboard since patch 3.0. Never hit a landmine.
I probably am more forgiving than I should be because the on-track action is so fucking thrilling, and fantastic, and awesome.
(I generally play GT3 class online races with friends + randoms, three hours a night)

It is the game I've waited decades for.

Ranger X

Still got little annoying bugs and glitches. Doesn't really affect me at all apart from two, maybe three crashes to dashboard since patch 3.0. Never hit a landmine.
I probably am more forgiving than I should be because the on-track action is so fucking thrilling, and fantastic, and awesome.
(I generally play GT3 class online races with friends + randoms, three hours a night)

It is the game I've waited decades for.

Ok, I don't mind a crash going back at dashboard (unless we mean the in-game dashboard/main hub here). Any bug glitches affecting the gameplay directly?

Juicy Bob

I've not had many bugs in gameplay and I've certainly not experienced any CTDs, fortunately.

I have already recommended pCARS to my racing enthusiast friends with PS4s.

xrnzaaas

In my case rebuilding the PS4's database helped with the crashes to dashboard in pCARS. Dunno if that's the reason, but it's likely because I haven't done it since I bought the console.

_machine

Oh nice, I wasn't expecting Toyota to be included and I really like the Toyobaru. Someone on the forums also mentioned that one the cars teased on Instagram would be Mad Mike's MX5 drifter, which would be nice too. They're also working on major physics improvements regards drifing by dialing in separate "rip grip" so it's very likely that it's at least some kind of a competition drift car. Really looking forward to the Scottish DLC track, I loved the WIP version of it during the development, even if it's a bit wide at times.

_machine

Ooh, I like wide tracks. Is it a rip of Misty Loch from FRL or a brand new track?
I never actually got that far in FRL (GFWL...), but I believe it's the same track, but somehow modified and a few quite different configurations and routes. The teasers are here: https://instagram.com/projectcarsgame/

Apparently the test track is coming back too, with a few upgrades. I liked the idea more than the actual track, but on the other hand it's been quite a long while and at least the short hillclimb section is pretty fun.

danowat

Banned

I still think it's brilliant, going between it and the FM6 demo shows where it really shines.

There's nothing like it on consoles, even with the release of FM6, as a racing experience, it's well worth it.

It's got problems, but I've not had any crashes.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
Just managed to snag a brand new T80 wheel for £30, it's not a great wheel I know but it'll do until I can either get a T300 or one of the new T150's and a set of T3PA-Pro pedals. (Had an expensive summer, so it'll be a while).

It should be better than a controller anyway.

Anyone else using this cheapy wheel with PS4 / Project Cars want to share their settings?

fresquito

Oh god I'd love a generic test track.

Give it to me.
It's coming in 4.0, along with a new drift model (presumably).

Damn my luck. Today we start a new championship and I burn my hand. Great timing! Luckily enough it's not that much. Just enough to keep me from playing :-/

Dilly

Banned
I just hope that one patch has a revised AI selection screen, it's the only way this game will last for me with a car roster like this.

Top Bottom