• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project CARS | OT | Made by 80.000 slightly mad developers

Mascot

• Fanatec – CSR Elite 2nd dpad removed (as per SDK change); handbrake now works when attached to pedals via wheel base

Fucking hell. Patch 4.0 on PS4 removes the super-useful mappable second joystick on the Formula rim (and one of the reasons I've just upgraded to CSRE/F1 rim) to make way for a fucking handbrake.

A fucking handbrake on a Formula rim, so you can drift like a twat.

Jesus, Fanatec. You really are your own worst enemies sometimes. This decision will cause a minor uproar.

Gandalf

I'm really not sure if this game is for me... And as a big sim fan, I'm surprised.
I don't know what it is, but the steering just feels a bit off? And I can't get used to it. Any setups people are willing to share with some driving adjustments? I saw there's a page where you can edit the deadzones and things like that.

Oh and the screen tearing is really bugging me (PS4).

I'm going to stick with it for a while though, and hopefully it clicks.

danowat

Banned
I'm really not sure if this game is for me... And as a big sim fan, I'm surprised.
I don't know what it is, but the steering just feels a bit off? And I can't get used to it. Any setups people are willing to share with some driving adjustments? I saw there's a page where you can edit the deadzones and things like that.

Controller or wheel?

I posted some settings a few pages back.

edit : here they are.

Steering deadzone 6 (or lower if you can get away with it, will depend how tight your pad is, some old and/or sloppy pads will need the deadzone increased)
Steering sensitivity 0 (shame this won't go any lower)
Throttle deadzone 10
Throttle sensitivity 30 (if you are finding it hard to smootly get the power down on corner exit, reduce)
Brake deadzone 10
Brake sensitivity 30 (if you are finiding it hard to smoothly brake into corners, reduce)
Speed sensitivity 50 (you don't want this any higher, if you can get away with it lower, go for it, all it does it reduce steering lock in parallel with speed, so the faster you go, the less steering lock you have, which can make it impossible to take fast corners)
Controller filtering 50 (still haven't figured out what this one does for certain, but at higher levels it seems to add a deadzone to the steering)
Input mode 2
Advanced on
soft steering on
visual wheel filtering off (you may want this on if the "jittering" steering wheel in cockpit mode distracts you)
opposite lock help off

Jamesways

Fucking hell. Patch 4.0 on PS4 removes the super-useful mappable second joystick on the Formula rim (and one of the reasons I've just upgraded to CSRE/F1 rim) to make way for a fucking handbrake.

A fucking handbrake on a Formula rim, so you can drift like a twat.

Jesus, Fanatec. You really are your own worst enemies sometimes. This decision will cause a minor uproar.

Unrelated to any wheel settings, but speaking of handbrake, I haven't tinkered with the button mappings since the last patch. I was delighted to find that I can remove KERS and the stupid handbrake as mandatory buttons last night. HUD cycle go. I use the d-pad for cockpit seat settings.

On another note, I wish I could do a career in one of the old Lotuses. I can't get enough of the 49 and 72D lately. Would be great if we could race a season in them.

I mean come on!
21303882400_65c6ceed5f_o.jpg

21480870792_71624036bc_o.jpg

Also, eager to see the changes they made to Misty Loch. I liked the blind corkscrew!

Man, I wish I would have kept my 360 for FRL just for racing the old F1s on the classic tracks.

kie25

I have a few setups on my youtube may help :) this is one my latest 1.43.705 around monza in Audi R8 LMS Ultra :) http://youtu.be/6NLN-S3jKL0

There are plenty more on my channel aswell every lap I do I share the full setup :)

xrnzaaas

First thing I noticed after installing the patch is that it turned on the racing line without asking me for permission. :p

Mascot

First thing I noticed after installing the patch is that it turned on the racing line without asking me for permission. :p

Yeah, that was annoying. I had to exit an MP lobby to turn it off, then when I rejoined my audio was borked. No engine sounds any more, just tyre squeal and the exhaust note.

Metfanant

4.0 is not available for me to download on my PS4...what's the deal?

Maybe because I'm on the beta firmware!?

-game doesn't prompt for update

- forcing the game to search for an update from the dashboard says I have the latest version installed

- update history says 3.00 is the version installed

kie25

4.0 is not available for me to download on my PS4...what's the deal?

Maybe because I'm on the beta firmware!?

-game doesn't prompt for update

- forcing the game to search for an update from the dashboard says I have the latest version installed

- update history says 3.00 is the version installed

I'm on beta 3.0 and it updated automatically few days ago? Maybe it's your region that has not had it put out yet? I'm in uk, I had someone message me from USA saying it hadn't updated for them other day aswell not sure if it's related?

Metfanant

I'm on beta 3.0 and it updated automatically few days ago? Maybe it's your region that has not had it put out yet? I'm in uk, I had someone message me from USA saying it hadn't updated for them other day aswell not sure if it's related?

USA here...so maybe that's it? If so that's garbage...

MGR

New & Enhanced Feature Summary
• Online – added support for 'Force Default Setups' in Multiplayer restrictions screen.

Sooo... does this actually work? I tried a test lobby last night with this turned on I could still adjust all the setup options on my car :/

*edit* No, it does not work. Please update patch notes to read:

New & Enhanced Feature Summary
• Online – added Multiplayer restriction menu option 'Force Default Setups' that does absolutely fucking nothing.

Jamesways

So question about pCARS 2 content, if anyone's a backer on here. Is the focus other material/tracks/cars/racing types than in 1?

Or are they including some of the similar or same content as we have already with updates?

I know Rally is rumored to be in.

fresquito

So question about pCARS 2 content, if anyone's a backer on here. Is the focus other material/tracks/cars/racing types than in 1?

Or are they including some of the similar or same content as we have already with updates?

I know Rally is rumored to be in.
There's a lot of misunderstanding around PC2.

PC2 will just build on what PC1 is: a multidiscipline racing game. This time around, not every discipline will be asphalt based, though. What disciplines will be in? I don't know. I know there will be (already is) rallycross and we've been told there will be hill climbs. There's no word on rallies, so they could be in or could be not.

As for the content, I'm not sure I understand what you mean. If by content you mean cars, tracks and stuff like that, then no (although there're two tracks that were cut from PC1 due to licensing issues that are back in PC2). If by content you mean improvements to the base game, then yes. PC2 and PC1 development are helping each other at the moment. That's not to say that everything that's done for PC1 is included in PC2 or the other way around. For istance, the windshield rain animations were implemented in PC2 some weeks before they were patched in PC1. On the other hand, they're working on a new renderer for PC2 that will never be implemented in PC1 (although some of the improvements may see fit in PC1 and be included down the road).

All in all, the develpment of PC2 is still very, very early. What we have now is PC1 with some different surfaces and some test tyres and other stuff that's not world changing. The bulk of the stuff that will make the difference is not yet implemented in the game, not even in its most basic form. The devs are working on back end things. In fact, up until yesterday, updates have been few and very light.

fresquito

Yes. But that will change through development.

For reference, the main coding action that we have seen is a lot of code cleaning and compiling and stuff that i really don't understand. I sum it up by saying that they're getting rid of unnecesary bloated legacy code. To my understanding, PC1 had a lot of legacy code that was doing no good to the game. It seems that, back then, they didn't have the time nor the resources to clean the code, rewrite what was needed, and, somehow, start afresh. That's what they are doing now with PC2. But once they're done doing that, they will start overhaouling things, tweaking things, improving things, implementing new things...

This is something I've learned by watching PC1 grow: We tend to simplify matters by saying stuff like: they are the same engine, they are this or they are that. And maybe they're just sharing the renderer, or how the renderer deals with camera movement. Or maybe the tech is mostly the same, but it's been tweaked or expanded or used in a way that's way more clever than it was before.

Doing videogames in todays world is no small feat. They're really complex. I already knew before joining WMD for the first game, but it's far more complex than I ever thought it was.

fresquito

I can't help but think PCars 2 is going to be little more than a (rather large) piece of DLC for PCars 1.
I have no crystal ball, so I can't tell, but people were saying something along the lines of Project CARS being Shift 3 in disguise not long ago.

I think it's too early to know what PC2 wil be.

_machine

I can't help but think PCars 2 is going to be little more than a (rather large) piece of DLC for PCars 1.
Going by the new pCARS 2 forums it's quite obvious that it's not even close to having anything of a design spec yet, but it feels like they are aiming to expand massively. I'd go as far as to say that the scope might be a bit too much as I would like them to focus on the user experience and polish a lot more this time instead of pure, crazy ambition that will ultimately create a ton of rough edges. That said, they have upped the budget and aren't constrained by the tough process of cross-generation development and have at least learned a lot from the troubles the new development environments have given. That also means that there's absolutely no way it's going to release in 2016, it's nigh impossible.

Mascot

The million dollar question: have they now employed somebody who has at least heard a description of how a good UI should work?

I've played the game a lot since launch and I still get lost in their illogical and counterintuitive labyrinth of confusion.

I was absolutely stumped the other day looking for a car FFB menu before a random combination of triggers and bumpers accidently presented it to me.

And for the love of God decide whether whether a button either saves or backs out, but don't fucking flip-flop between them depending on nothing more than sweet fuck-all.

MilkyJoe

Going by the new pCARS 2 forums it's quite obvious that it's not even close to having anything of a design spec yet, but it feels like they are aiming to expand massively. I'd go as far as to say that the scope might be a bit too much as I would like them to focus on the user experience and polish a lot more this time instead of pure, crazy ambition that will ultimately create a ton of rough edges. That said, they have upped the budget and aren't constrained by the tough process of cross-generation development and have at least learned a lot from the troubles the new development environments have given. That also means that there's absolutely no way it's going to release in 2016, it's nigh impossible.

I thin it will be DLC for PC1, see below

indy.jpg

fresquito

Everyone's entitled to believe whatever they want to believe.

Fact is: PC2 will be a standalone game and won't be releassing for a good two-three-even four years.

Jamesways

fresquito, _machine, thanks for all the information on pCARS2.

I wished I would have backed it. I was hoping the payouts for 1 would come before the window for 2 closed.

Despite the bugs, and Ian Bell's behavior, I really love their games. pCARS will keep me busy for a long time, I've barely even scratched the surface of all the tracks and cars.

The_D

Neo Member
OK, forget the nice things I said about Patch 3.0 making the game playable finally on Xbox One. I now have the bug where I can't save or load a tune because I've already reached a limit (possibly 32 per car), and my career is once again unplayable.

Going on Forza until it's sorted.

_machine

The million dollar question: have they now employed somebody who has at least heard a description of how a good UI should work?
They at least still open positions for them (though I don't expect their site to be fully up-to-date): http://www.slightlymadstudios.com/careers.html¨

pretendracecars gonna pretendracecars.

Writing an article based on an online retailer listing a release date. Lord.
Yeah, it's absolute bollocks. There's simply no way they are going to get the even the minimum viable versions of some of the ideas visioned (multi-discipline racing, dynamic deformation, double the content) in that time. Absolutely no way in hell, not even for late 2016.

Icefire1424

I think I'm finally caving in and getting a wheel.

Any recommendations for a wheel on the PS4? Would really like to go the Thrustmaster T300 / T500 route, but can't justify the cost for one game - looking to spend around $100 if possible. Anything worth it at that price?

Metfanant

I think I'm finally caving in and getting a wheel.

Any recommendations for a wheel on the PS4? Would really like to go the Thrustmaster T300 / T500 route, but can't justify the cost for one game - looking to spend around $100 if possible. Anything worth it at that price?

im probably going to be very much in the minority here, and while i LOVE my Thrustmaster T500...I dont think its worth the cost of admission...The only reason I upgraded from my old DFGT was because of a crazy sale a couple years ago around the time GT6(i think?) came out...

I dont think the T500 made me any better at racing games than say the DFGT did...

So with that being said...I would say 100% YES, even at $100 any wheel that isnt of complete junk build quality wise is worth it...EVEN (and here is where ill get beat up by the purists) its not a force feedback wheel and only vibrates or something like that...the level of precision you get in turning/braking/accelerating from a wheel is just unmatched by controllers

fresquito

Holy shit. Discovered the BMW 320 Turbo Group 5 for the first time in a MP session last night. What a beast!
You never stop amazing me :-D

There're lots of awesome cars in the game. For some unknown reason, you don't know half of them. Gr.5, Gr.4, Gr.A, Atom V8, FC, A1 Quattro... all fantastic cars. You can't go wrong with any of them.

Mascot

You never stop amazing me :-D

There're lots of awesome cars in the game. For some unknown reason, you don't know half of them. Gr.5, Gr.4, Gr.A, Atom V8, FC, A1 Quattro... all fantastic cars. You can't go wrong with any of them.

I'll get around to them all eventually..! :p

Most (almost all) of my racing is in a private MP lobby and we have been guilty of sticking to the same GT3 cars for far too long. We've only just discovered the unbridled joy that is DTM, for example...!

Momentary

Banned
There is no way in hell that PCARS2 is going to be done by June. They have no licenses, and there's only 1 track that's close to being presentable to the public. People who are in the development of the game pretty much feel like this is a late 2017 game at the EARLIEST, but I'm going to say 2018.

That website is just spouting pure bullshit.

Top Bottom