• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project CARS | OT | Made by 80.000 slightly mad developers

danowat

Banned
Yeah, they are rotten. Most (all?) of the liveries are fictional in pCARS though, aren't they? And they're pretty good, generally. Wonder why the DTM ones are so... arcade racer?

I believe they had issues with Mercedes regarding the DTM one, at least the new(er) one.

DryvBy

I just find it fucking hilarious that the difficulty of achievements and trophies are being whined about when there are game-breaking bugs still to be resolved. That's just me, I guess.

No, I understand. Priorities. That makes more sense than how I was reading that hours ago. :)

Is there even any point in changing the AI difficulty in the career? It does not seem to make any difference in terms of results/points.

I am pretty disappointed with this game. The cars have way too much grip, traction control is inaccurate, the FFB out of the box is bad, the career is pointless. The only things I like are graphics and presentation.

I think I'll go back to Assetto, that game is a real sim at least.

SmokyDave

Not sure if it's your first wheel but having the pedals absolutely rock-solid is absolutely essential. If they slide around even the tiniest bit you will kill bystanders.
Nah, I just upgraded from the Driving Force Pro. The pedals do need far more securing than the DFP though, because of the clutch and stronger brake pedal. Looking at the V2 Wheel Stand Pro jobbies because they're nice and cheap.

Korezo

I've only played Project Cars for 4 hours now, and I've already relegated it to my 'Games that aren't quite ready yet' category in my Steam library. Like AC, it has an impressive visuals and a great list of content, but the core needs some work before I return.

Yeah, I stopped playing in 2 days because of the career and the light ffb doesn't make it fun to play. I just tried GT5 the other day in years and ended up practice driving for a while because ffb made cars fun to drive same with Assetto. I'll probably on go back to pcars when vr comes out since I doubt Ffb going to be fixed.

Vaga

PS4 pad settings that will alleviate the twitchyness in some cars.

11146645_983606298339354_3539341603816085808_o.jpg
10848577_983606145006036_3727388133992028806_o.jpg

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
That's what I thought too but both are the Sprint version apparently. I guess the name is bugged on one of the two loading.

I dunno, I just went into Quick Race > Tracks and there is no track at that location with 14 corners on the PS4 version. Weird.

Conversion error for the length, it's correct on console but showing km distance on pc.
Not sure why it's showing 14 turns.. is that the full course number? But the length is definitely not from the full course anyway.

1.39 miles are 2.237km and not 2.19km.
Even if it were 1.3850 miles rounded to1.39 that would still be 2.2289km (<-edited, now correct).

It's not a conversion error. I can't believe their conversion would be so off.

PS4 pad settings that will alleviate the twitchyness in some cars.

is it worth getting if all you have are 360/Xbone/PS4 controllers? I love racing games, but I just cant justify a $200 controller to enjoy this game. Or should I wait like other posters have said on a patch to fix the issues? Are they that bad?

Lgndryhr

I too am cautious with this title since I plan on playing with a pad only on my ps4. Otherwise I have no racing game to play :-/
GT 7 is easily 2017 release.

is it worth getting if all you have are 360/Xbone/PS4 controllers? I love racing games, but I just cant justify a $200 controller to enjoy this game. Or should I wait like other posters have said on a patch to fix the issues? Are they that bad?

I too am cautious with this title since I plan on playing with a pad only on my ps4. Otherwise I have no racing game to play :-/
GT 7 is easily 2017 release.

there have already been a few sets of controller settings people have posted that others have tried and they say makes a big difference in how the game plays as far as controllers go

SmokyDave

I've heard nothing but good things about this for the price:

http://www.fanatec.com/eu-en/play-and-gaming-seats/csl-seat-eu.html
That does look hot (though not as hot as the WRC Playseat!), but it's still much more than I can justify spending for now. I reckon I'll just have to be patient and see what Santa brings this year.

This game is so close to giving me my BTCC fix. It has half the tracks, and the Ginettas, but I really missed Thruxton yesterday. Now I want the rest of the courses and the full '15 BTCC field in the game.

LilJoka

PCars has a proper career mode. It actually has a more open ended and adaptable career mode than most other racing games.

If you need a leveling system or in game credits to feel like you are getting somewhere then the spirit of a game like this will be lost on you.

And no its not iRacing, but its as hardcore a sim game that consoles have had for many a generation.

Massive contradiction right there.

PCars career mode has nothing over solo mode...

What you actually mean is that like every other racing game on PC that is called a sim has open ended careers without progression (a la Assetto Corsa) and most people dont want that for a normal game, which is what atleast most consolers on pads will be leaning towards. If you dont care about career with progression get Assetto Corsa (for those on PC). And for those on console stick to GT/Forza/Driveclub etc.

The career mode is ok.. I actually like the idea because it feels like you are a actual race car driver. The problem is the fact that it's not in depth like a typical career mode. Beyond the tweets of "you rox" and a email or two...it's just a quick weekend race on different days of the month. I know some people in this thread don't care for a sense of reward system, but that's what makes most racing games stand out. The idea that you are pushing hard to reach that podium and win money for a upgrade or a new car is fulfilling.

Bottom line, Project CARS is a good game, but with the bugs, performance issues, and a somewhat bare bone career mode....it's just Assetto Corsa with nice graphics and shitty physics :/.

Hit the nail on head.

I have tweaked my settings of late, and I tend to have a lower speed sensitivity setting globally, and tweak the steering rate using the individual cars steering ratio setting.

Is it possible to post those new settings? Tried your settings recently and the cars controlled much better. Thanks in advance.

ValfarHL

Default FFB is pretty bad, yeah.

But these, with a few modifications: http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?22938-Jack-Spade-FFB-Tweaker-Files

Change: <value DisableLockSpring="true" /> to false (To make the cars have their real wheel rotation) With the original setting all cars have whatever you've set in your control panel for the wheel.

These settings can be changed without quitting the game. You just have to quit your race, and start again.
The in game FFB settings per car will not read these values, nor can you change them ingame anymore.

And a slight adjust of a few settings like:
Relative Adjust Gain 1.10
Relative Adjust Bleed 0.10
Relative Adjust Clamp 0.95
Scoop Knee: 70
Scoop Reduction: 15
Dead Zone Removal: 10-15 (Adjust for how much vibration you want from the wheel going over bumpy straights)
Tire force: 100
FFB in game: 100

And following in Thrustmaster control panel: 75/100/100/0/0

Has made the game sooooo fucking good on my T500RS on PC.

I may have forgotten a few settings, but this should be most of it.

I really recommend Thrustmaster users to give this a go.

Are we confirming that there are built in aids that can't be disabled here?
Or is this more of a differential setting?

Differential, the traction slip has nothing to do with the traction control system. Every regular simulator has those settings for cars that have adjustable differentials. It's not a built in aid.

This page...

Lack of progression complaints, achievement bitching.

Sim racing meets casuals.

Which further illustrates the point i made that the game would get a lot of sales from casuals who don't even know what the core of the game is. If you read the entire thread is mostly bitching about pad support, graphical bugs and stuff.

In the other side you have a few iRacing/AC fans beating in the old "it has grip and it's not hard, so it's not realistic" mantra.

Regarding physics, the only comparison that can be made that is not subjective are lap times, corner speed and g forces, comparing real life times and in game times. That's the only thing Project Cars needs to achieve and it's really good at that so far.

If you take the community event with the F1 at Barcelona and compare with 2013 pole times, you will see that Rosberg's time still stands pretty high on the leaderboards. It's a shame the community event allows for ABS and other aids, which of course will make the cars a bit faster than real life, not to mention tire wear and other variables that are locked in the time trial.

It's like they can't win, they get blasted for being too hard by one public and blasted by being too easy by the other, and most likely both are wrong.

Gestault

Bottom line, Project CARS is a good game, but with the bugs, performance issues, and a somewhat bare bone career mode....it's just Assetto Corsa with nice graphics...

After following up on a lot of people's feedback, this is sort of the realization I'm coming toward. I'm still planning to get it, but I can't budget it at full price right now. I'm sure I'll still have fun, but adjusted expectations seem necessary, especially after the uhh, enthusiastic impressions from some who were involved in community testing.

I'm loving the game but seriously, how's a mute button not an option in multiplayer? If there's one, I can't find it. Some fucking mouthbreather kept letting his kid singing terrible songs and two other instances were I could hear nothing but the other player's TV. Had to mute mine instead so that I was able to race normally.

LilJoka

Differential, the traction slip has nothing to do with the traction control system. Every regular simulator has those settings for cars that have adjustable differentials. It's not a built in aid.

Not convinced, seems like how aggressive the TC system is, the percentage related to difference in wheel speeds upon which T?C is engaged. If it was a differential it would have acceleration and deceleration settings on cars that have a limited slip diff.
I think it can be ignored when TC is off.

Guys, any settings for the Thrustmaster TX on the Xbox One before I start?
Thanks!

Try it as it is, if it's too "like the wheel in a real car, with the difference that I can't feel the g-foces sitting at home" then make it more Forza-feel by going to the car's(!) setup and turn on SoP in the second tab of the FFB-settings of the car. Default is 0, turn SoP-scale to 100, lateral and differential 50-100, just so you immediately feel what this change did on your first lap with the new settings, if you liked that, dial the SoP settings down from there.

Also look out for FFB-master scale if it's too weak for you (again, car's FFB, not global options) and each car's steering-ratio.

Edit:
Not convinced, seems like how aggressive the TC system is, the percentage related to difference in wheel speeds upon which T?C is engaged. If it was a differential it would have acceleration and deceleration settings on cars that have a limited slip diff.
I think it can be ignored when TC is off.
I agree with you. Differential has an extra tab. It still COULD be a TC'ish setting for an eDiff.

Slash76

This game is awesome, every race always shows some new detail that surprises you. Physics are great and there is a feeling that anything could happen. When I started playing this game I thought that AI was simply decent, but sometimes is really similar to a human. I recorded this video ( difficulty at 60, not high ) where IA tries to take the lead before the last turn of the race. It is too aggresive trying to win, so finally brakes too much and goes straight XD

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aY_aqRbAv9g

LilJoka

Try it as it is, if it's too "like the wheel in a real car, with the difference that I can't feel the g-foces sitting at home" then make it more Forza-feel by going to the car's(!) setup and turn on SoP in the second tab of the FFB-settings of the car. Default is 0, turn SoP-scale to 100, lateral and differential 50-100, just so you immediately feel what this change did on your first lap with the new settings, if you liked that, dial the SoP settings down from there.

Also look out for FFB-master scale if it's too weak for you (again, car's FFB, not global options) and each car's steering-ratio.

Edit:

I agree with you. Differential has an extra tab. It still COULD be a TC'ish setting for an eDiff.

Its simple, it tells the TC when to engage. For example at 1% it would only take a 1% difference in wheel speeds to reduce engine power, at 15% it would be much less aggressive.

I just hope that its not enabled in some sort of way with TC has been disabled. Cant really trust them so somebody needs to do some testing.

EBreda

Thanks, gonna try that.

bombshell

GAF > Internet > GAF

Just a quick nod to Digital Foundry from the SMS Render Team for this article and their linking of the various posts that we did over the last few weeks. It is a very fair and accurate Face Off between the platforms and a great piece of technical Journalism as a result - we are working hard to address issues raised on the initial release. Stay tuned ... I can tell you that Xbox One will gain at least 4-7% performance in a patch shortly and address some of the controller issues. Lots more discussion over at forum.projectcarsgame.com.

Mascot

After following up on a lot of people's feedback, this is sort of the realization I'm coming toward. I'm still planning to get it, but I can't budget it at full price right now. I'm sure I'll still have fun, but adjusted expectations seem necessary, especially after the uhh, enthusiastic impressions from some who were involved in community testing.

360, PS3, PS4 owner (plus a mid-range laptop), wheel user, not a WMD backer, lover of Assetto Corsa, GTR2, Forza Motorsport and Gran Turismo here. Gaming since the dawn of gaming.

Project CARS is EASILY the most fun I've ever had in any racing game, full stop. This despite the current bugs, glitches, weak FFB, gimped Fanatec support, horrible UI, odd audio issues, frame drops, and screen tearing.

On the track - where it counts - it's an absolute thrill a minute, with AI that's uncannily humanlike in skill, attitude and racing ettiquette.

Disclaimer: I've hardly ventured outside of the GT classes and avoid the rain like a cat.

On the track - where it counts - it's an absolute thrill a minute, with AI that's uncannily humanlike in skill, attitude and racing ettiquette.

Disclaimer: I've hardly ventured outside of the GT classes and avoid the rain like a cat.

I wanted to chime in on that as well. The A.I. (I only set up to 75 then to 65) that they give you space and respect unless you blow an apex or have you on the exit corner. Its like they race and find their opportunities.

Rain is manageable (only experienced it in Formula B) until you understeer or feel that slideeeeee. Also, visibility is a nightmare with those water plooms.

Bydobob

I'll probably on go back to pcars when vr comes out since I doubt Ffb going to be fixed.

Well I'm optimistic they will address it because the community feedback (if you'll pardon the pun) has been pretty overwhelming. Playing RF2 and this back to back highlights the contrast in feel, it's like the volume dial in PCars is jammed halfway. The fundamentals underneath though are so good I could happily race the same car around the same circuit for hours and still derive great satisfaction from the experience.

it's just Assetto Corsa with nice graphics and
shitty physics :/

I really don't understand the complaints about the physics. The cars behave much in the same you'd expect in reality, with a slight exception to wet weather traction which to me seems a little exaggerated. They have the fundamentals of weight transfer and grip nailed right down, if not in terms of FFB feel - yet. Similarly, the transition points from understeer to snap oversteer seem very well reflected across the cars. Caterham for instance behaves almost exactly as it should, predictably light at the front and easy to provoke, yet at the same time the front engine layout/higher polar movement of inertia means it's also easy to catch. This game is a league above GT/Forza when it comes to handling detail that's for sure.

I'm crushed to learn about the controller issues.

All I wanted was a great controlling, great playing racing game. And to find out that this game has similar controller issues to Shift is so discounting.

I hoped Slightly Mad would be beyond this but apparently not.

360, PS3, PS4 owner (plus a mid-range laptop), wheel user, not a WMD backer, lover of Assetto Corsa, GTR2, Forza Motorsport and Gran Turismo here. Gaming since the dawn of gaming.

Project CARS is EASILY the most fun I've ever had in any racing game, full stop. This despite the current bugs, glitches, weak FFB, gimped Fanatec support, horrible UI, odd audio issues, frame drops, and screen tearing.

I agree 100%. I love Assetto Corsa and consider a great hotlapping sim, i've lived more than a decade loving Gran Turismo but i haven't enjoy racing as much as i do with Project Cars.

I could make a list of bugs and stupid glitches, but the driving itself makes up for it. It gives you a sense that the cars are firm, responsive and not boats driving on ice.

My main gripe with iRacing (other than the stupid pricing scheme) and rFactor has always been this weird ice skating feeling that made driving look like heart surgery considering the precision on inputs you need to have.

The limited real life racing that i've done taught me that cars are steady in general, they have weight and g-forces, they only become dangerous once you push them to the limits. Project Cars does this very well. Cars are usually firm and easy to cruise around, but once you push it they become dangerous.

Other racing sims often struggle with the grip limits and the grip fall off, you can test some of those sims running at 100kph and still get oversteer, spins and all sorts of crazy movement that shouldn't happen with race cars in low speeds.

I've always hated making it harder just for the sake of doing it because it takes away from the realism. Thankfully Project Cars has not fallen into this trap.

I was not in the beta, i didn't put a dollar before release and i've been racing sims since the 90's, so i guess i might qualify as a neutral observer.

Pifje

At first I thought that the game looked hideous, but apparently with some "gentle" adding of some anti-aliasing (DSX6) it mostly got fixed:

But, yeah, it can also be seen in the FPS counter. I'm using a GTX 970.

Yeah at first I thought the AI was just okay but after a few more races it's apparent that the AI is pretty competent. I love that they actually give you space and will capitalize on your mistakes. I haven't found quite the perfect AI setting for me. I currently have it at 70 but find that as soon as I hit the front of the pack I add seconds to my lead on every lap. If I don't make it to the front, then the AI is actually pretty competent. It's weird. Also, I never get pit radio unless I'm in the middle of the pack.

Which further illustrates the point i made that the game would get a lot of sales from casuals who don't even know what the core of the game is. If you read the entire thread is mostly bitching about pad support, graphical bugs and stuff.

In the other side you have a few iRacing/AC fans beating in the old "it has grip and it's not hard, so it's not realistic" mantra.

Regarding physics, the only comparison that can be made that is not subjective are lap times, corner speed and g forces, comparing real life times and in game times. That's the only thing Project Cars needs to achieve and it's really good at that so far.

If you take the community event with the F1 at Barcelona and compare with 2013 pole times, you will see that Rosberg's time still stands pretty high on the leaderboards. It's a shame the community event allows for ABS and other aids, which of course will make the cars a bit faster than real life, not to mention tire wear and other variables that are locked in the time trial.

It's like they can't win, they get blasted for being too hard by one public and blasted by being too easy by the other, and most likely both are wrong.
Thank you for being not crazy. I've tried a handful of other PC sims and they honestly sometimes feel like they're being difficult for the sake of being difficult. On other forums, people have even said that their real life counterpart cars in those games are actually easier to drive in real life. I'm by no means an avid racer but I find this game to be perfectly balanced in terms of difficulty and fun factor.

My FFB strength was on 44% for some reason, whacked it up to 75%. Oh my.

Mine defaults to like 22. At first I cranked it up to 100. I couldn't even make the karts turn.

I really don't understand the complaints about the physics. The cars behave much in the same you'd expect in reality, with a slight exception to wet weather traction which to me seems a little exaggerated. They have the fundamentals of weight transfer and grip nailed right down, if not in terms of FFB feel - yet. Similarly, the transition points from understeer to snap oversteer seem very well reflected across the cars. Caterham for instance behaves almost exactly as it should, predictably light at the front and easy to provoke, yet at the same time the front engine layout/higher polar movement of inertia means it's also easy to catch. This game is a league above GT/Forza when it comes to handling detail that's for sure.

I am starting to have the impression that the physics of some cars are ok while others are broken. Take the RUF Rgt-8 for a spin and let me know what you think. There is no oversteer/understeer and it is impossible to produce any wheel spin. Trying to turn aids on or off does not seem to make any difference. The physics are just weird. Since when are RUFs known to behave like beginner cars? Then there are other cars that are actually difficult to drive. Not sure what is going on.

As others have said before, there is something going on with the Traction Control that is not right.

Spookie

Not getting these complements for the AI. If I pull a Plato I can literally intimidate the AI on to the grass. It's hilarious! Battling for a position? Slowly pull closer to the other car and they will keep an inch between you spinning them in to a wall. It's like the AI simply gets faster but doesn't get any more aggressive. They are incredibly passive and willing to give away positions like a child giving up their lunch money to the bully. They should be giving me a nudge back to put me off my line.

In other news I've now tried to progress to the Ginettas and the FFB is about as faint as a fart in the wind. I should be taking the first corner on Road America fairly quickly but I'm dropping time as the car isn't feeding back how much bite the tyres have left. They need to hire Niels to slap them about.
96NlOxh.gif

Top Bottom