• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project CARS | OT | Made by 80.000 slightly mad developers

chadskin

No I've had same issue on PS4 lap time dropped by over 10 seconds. I thought I had wet tyres on but I still had soft tyres on.

It appears (although not to the same degree) to affect the PS4 as well.

I would assume, considering the AI is running a simplified physics system, that is the reason why when the system is under heavy load their times remain static, where as the player, who is running a much more complex physics system, and the combined load this is putting on an already taxed system, the player cannot attain the same laptimes as if the game wasn't under such a load from weather or AI numbers.

Ugh. :/

Odd that SMS didn't really address this yet in the forums, by the looks of it, as it seems to be a major, major bug. I hope this is patchable and will actually be patched in the near future.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Here's the deal:

If you have a ps4 and want a sim racer, get PCars, it runs well now. If you prefer an arcade racer get Driveclub.

If you have an xbox one and want a sim racer then it's a tough one. Technically the game is poor on that platform, but the core of the game still remains so I'm sure there's still some fun to be had. However if technical issues/bugs are important to you then get Forza 5 or wait for 6 but bear in mind that the core racing experience probably won't be as good since you can't have longer races with pit stops, fuel/tire wear, qualifying, practice and set custom race lengths. The weather/night aspects will also not be dynamic in FM6. So it's a bit of a toss up and depends on what kind of experience you want and how much importance you place on certain things. If you want an arcade racer on there get Forza Horizon 2.

If you have a capable gaming PC then ignore everything I said above and get PCars on that.

i didnt realize it was the xbone version with the majority of the issues. is it just slightly behind the development of the other builds? also, great summary of the state of racing on consoles. very fair to all.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
It has to do with the capabilities of the hardware I guess.

edit: sorry, i thought he was referring to all the bugs in the x1 build compared to pc/ps4. i think i misinterpreted his post

xrnzaaas

Anyone know if the mechanicle failures are pre-programmed in the career like the weather? I was doing the same race twice and each time I had an engine blowout (I didn't crash into anyone before that so it's like the front of the car was damaged).

Azzawon

Now, that's a VERY embarassing issue on a racing sim.

Yeah I noticed it very early on when I ran a race of Formula B on Watkins Glen with a full grid. My thoughts went a bit like this:

"Hm, actually keeps a decent framerate, not bad!"
"Hang on, why the hell am I going so slowly?"

It's an utterly stupid bug (feature?) to have in a racing game.

Snickles

I really wanted to like PCars on PC, but for some reason my Thrustmaster TX wheel always calibrates crooked, despite me flashing the firmware. There is a lot of resistance and I am not able to straighten it out. This same wheel works flawlessly on Forza 5 and Forza Horizon on XB1. It is really annoying to have the wheel always be crooked to drive straight.

Gestault

The people (and yes, specifically GHG) acting as though this game's fundamental issues are particular to one version are mistaken. My time has been exclusively on the PS4 version, and I stopped even recording clips showing the race-compromising issues because there were so many of them. Off-track flags triggered when alone in the middle of the track, differences in race-times independent of actual driving, AI unaffected by weather and terrain, temporarily lost customization mid race-series, and poor controller implementation. As (much appreciated) improvements have been made with patches, even more troubling issues have been made clear. This game wasn't released in an acceptable state, and it's still struggling.

That said, the Sahlen's Hot Dogs billboards on Watkins Glen do quite a bit to garner my love.

Hey people, does anyone here have the PS4 UK version of the game? I got the game along with the PS4 and TLOU/W3 via Amazon UK's deal, but I don't like racing games, like, at all. I want to sell the game but first I need to know if it can be set to Spanish (I live in Spain and it wouldn't be fair for the buyer to be stuck with a game in English). Unfortunately I can't find that information anywhere, and I don't want to open the game to find out as it'd be worth less, obviously.

If anyone has the PS4 UK version, could you set the console to Spanish and tell me if the game changes to Spanish? It would be extremely appreciated!

It's 80000. Yes, we can count zeroes without additional help. ;p

Not here in Spain, we do separate thousands with a dot. And decimal numbers with a comma. Yes, it makes it hell going back and forth between English and Spanish style numbers, especially when inputting decimal numbers, where you have to use a different character depending if the application or web site is localized or not.

kie25

Anyone know if the mechanicle failures are pre-programmed in the career like the weather? I was doing the same race twice and each time I had an engine blowout (I didn't crash into anyone before that so it's like the front of the car was damaged).

No they are down to your driving style or set up? If you are racing a track in a hot climate at midday you will want to open the air vent more, also downshifting to aggressively and redlining each gear are normally a cause, so try a slightly higher final gear which will be less damaging on gearbox. most cars have water temperatures on dash try keep a eye on them, as the info here is really important if you run your setup to aggressive your car will start loosing power towards end off race faster.

Is 80.000 some weird Europe thing?

80,000!

Why do I find the use of the word "weird" weirdly disrespectful here?
Inches, feet, miles, ounces, pounds, gallons, Fahrenheit (admitted, Celsius neither, it should all be Kelvin) are completely outdated and have no place in modern physics, and now our usage of the comma as a decimal separator is "weird", huh?
By the way, it's NOT a Euro thing.

[just couldn't keep it in, sorry]

What I find most disturbing in this new bug is that the route to fix it will probably go around limiting the number of AI cars on track. Which is a bummer for anyone who likes endurance racing like I do.

Gestault

Inches, feet, miles, ounces, pounds, gallons, Fahrenheit (admitted, Celsius neither, it should all be Kelvin) are completely outdated and have no place in modern physics, and now our usage of the comma as a decimal separator is "weird", huh?

To people who've worked with high-precision numbers alongside high value integers, using a period instead of a comma can be quite weird for measurements. The numbers after the decimal mark aren't fractional in the thread title which is why it's confusing, if not bordering on inaccurate depending on the setting.

danowat

Banned
What I find most disturbing in this new bug is that the route to fix it will probably go around limiting the number of AI cars on track. Which is a bummer for anyone who likes endurance racing like I do.

Apparently, there is no bug, Ian said that they've checked their versions, and it was a big waste of time because it doesn't happen.

I've tried to replicate it on the PS4, and I can't get anything conclusive, so I don't really know either way.

xrnzaaas

No they are down to your driving style or set up? If you are racing a track in a hot climate at midday you will want to open the air vent more, also downshifting to aggressively and redlining each gear are normally a cause, so try a slightly higher final gear which will be less damaging on gearbox. most cars have water temperatures on dash try keep a eye on them, as the info here is really important if you run your setup to aggressive your car will start loosing power towards end off race faster.

Yeah, I didn't think of enabling the entire HUD with all the temps. Thx for the tip. :)

It's 80000. Yes, we can count zeroes without additional help. ;p

Haha. :p

No, the comma isnt weird (to me :p), its using a period as a way to separate the hundreds from the thousands that's weird! decimal points are for for fractions of numbers! haha

edit:

To people who've worked with high-precision numbers alongside high value integers, using a period instead of a comma can be quite weird for measurements. The numbers after the decimal mark aren't fractional in the thread title which is why it's confusing, if not bordering on inaccurate depending on the setting.

Yeah! This guy knows what's what. :p

The numbers after the decimal mark aren't fractional in the thread title which is why it's confusing, if not bordering on inaccurate depending on the setting.

No, the comma isnt weird (to me :p), its using a period as a way to separate the hundreds from the thousands that's weird! decimal points are for for fractions of numbers! haha

Have you guys considered that in countries that use the comma as a decimal mark, the period is used as a thousands separator? (it's like that in a LOT of countries)

You can fight the argument by saying "but the thread title is in english and then it should be period and not comma", but then it's just a typo and not some "weird euro thing", ok?
Edit:
Wikipedia on Delimiters and "Decimal Grouping" said:
The convention for digit group separators varies but usually seeks to distinguish the delimiter from the decimal mark. Typically, English-speaking countries employ commas as the delimiter—10,000—and other European countries employ periods or spaces: 10.000 or 10 000. Because of the confusion that can result in international documents, the withdrawn SI/ISO 31-0 standard advocates the use of spaces and the International Bureau of Weights and Measures and International Union of Pure and Applied Chemistry advocate the use of a "thin space" in "groups of three". Within the United States, the American Medical Association's widely followed AMA Manual of Style also calls for a thin space. In some online encoding environments (for example, ASCII-only) a thin space is not practical or available, in which case a regular word space or no delimiter are the alternatives. The Metrication Board proposed this system for the United Kingdom and, while it is not universally adopted, it is standard within the country's construction industry.
Are we on the same page now?

Have you guys considered that in countries that use the comma as a decimal mark, the period is used as a thousands separator? (it's like that in a LOT of countries)

You can fight the argument by saying "but the thread title is in english and then it should be period and not comma", but then it's just a typo and not some "weird euro thing", ok? Are we on the same page now?

Man, I wasnt trying to be mean, I was just pointing out that I think it looks weird to me, haha.

I will edit my original comment so it makes more sense.

Man, I wasnt trying to be mean, I was just pointing out that I think it looks weird to me, haha.

I will edit my original comment so it makes more sense.
It's ok, ...it just sounded like discrimination of other cultures when I read your comment first. I believe you that you didn't mean to discriminate and just wanted to point out that in a title written in english, it looks "weird".
No harm done.

[*whispering* let's stop derailing, it's already waay too much about nothing]

kie25

Apparently, there is no bug, Ian said that they've checked their versions, and it was a big waste of time because it doesn't happen.

I've tried to replicate it on the PS4, and I can't get anything conclusive, so I don't really know either way.

Go on road America gt3 and put 44 cars on, see what lap you get then go in free practice maybe I'm picking up on it more as I'm running very close to limit with the Z4 on the track, as been practicing it for league, I might make a video to show you guys in here. was about 8-10 seconds slower for me a lap was really horrible. I'm shocked they haven't noticed it to be fair.

Go on road America gt3 and put 44 cars on, see what lap you get then go in free practice maybe I'm picking up on it more as I'm running very close to limit with the Z4 on the track, as been practicing it for league, I might make a video to show you guys in here. was about 8-10 seconds slower for me a lap was really horrible. I'm shocked they haven't noticed it to be fair.

I tried to replicate that, but my findings are inconclusive.

I think to really measure this we need to go scientific and on a trully blind test.

Where did he say this? I can't find any word from him in that thread.

Anyway, I hope they are right. I really love the driving feel on this game, but all those bugs, crashes, freezes and idiotic UI design are making playing pCARS a bit tiresome lately.

danowat

Banned
I tried to replicate that, but my findings are inconclusive.

I think to really measure this we need to go scientific and on a trully blind test.

Where did he say this? I can't find any word from him in that thread.

Anyway, I hope they are right. I really love the driving feel on this game, but all those bugs, crashes, freezes and idiotic UI design are making playing pCARS a bit tiresome lately.
http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/sh...-lovin-it!!!&p=1004717&viewfull=1#post1004717

danowat

Banned
I've done a bit more testing.

There is definitely some disparities between laptimes, for example, I did a GT3 race at Donington, and then another, same car, and the second race I couldn't get within 4 seconds of the laptime I set in the first race, however....

I believe the AI suffered the same level of disparities, as I didn't notice they were any quicker or slower.

So to summarize, yes, there are laptime differences, but I can only assume they are down to track temperature and/or atmospheric conditions, although if that is the case, I'd say it's overkill, 4 seconds is A LOT.

Sporran

A new article re patch 1.04

Interesting to not that pushing the Temporal AA slider all the way down has a slight impact on framerate.

However, you may want to avoid dropping it all the way to zero: doing so causes the PS4 to take a frame-rate hit. Based on our analysis, you get better a frame-rate so long as the temporal filter is enabled at any value - whether that's one, 20 or 100. In one test on the Azure Coast track with 20 cars and clear weather, keeping the temporal filter at 20 gives us a clear frame-rate advantage of 3-4fps across the race when compared to a race with the effect switched off. Overall, the takeaway here is you're better off with this effect enabled, even if it is just set one notch above zero. It's not clear exactly why the frame-rate is impacted, but on a low setting you get slightly superior performance, and avoid the double image you see at the temporal AA slider's highest point.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/d...cars-patch-104-boosts-visuals-and-runs-faster

Better put it up slightly then :)

kie25

There is definitely some disparities between laptimes, for example, I did a GT3 race at Donington, and then another, same car, and the second race I couldn't get within 4 seconds of the laptime I set in the first race, however....

I believe the AI suffered the same level of disparities, as I didn't notice they were any quicker or slower.

So to summarize, yes, there are laptime differences, but I can only assume they are down to track temperature and/or atmospheric conditions, although if that is the case, I'd say it's overkill, 4 seconds is A LOT.

It is not track temperature I've driven the track in every time day and rain everything even in heavy rain I could get a 2.13.0 I was struggling to get that time in dry with 44 cars, maybe it's just a random bug that only shows up every now and then, I'll need to try replicate it.

Well, that's a bit reassuring.

Only Ian Bell to think that test a bug report in a messed up game is a waste of time, heh?

Thing is, if it is track temperature and atmospheric conditions, is an amazing oversight keep this information hidden from the player on console versions.

It's borderline stupid going to all the trouble to simulate those things in such manner that they can ruin your performance without you being able to know what is going on.

Gestault

Only Ian Bell to think that test a bug report in a messed up game is a waste of time, heh?

Bell sounds like he has a really bad attitude, the way he says that testing for the bug was a waste of time. Especially since the original report for it had so much information to show it was reported in good faith. I've experienced the gulfs in time consistency, even with effectively the same race performance, so even if it's truly caused by invisible-to-the-player conditions, I consider that a problem.

A relatively easy solution would be to make those condition visible pre-race, and give the ability to restrict them through settings. Has SMS said they'll be doing that?

It gets crazy when you get those thing together, like:

I hate spamming, but I really need to know this kind of ASAP:

If anyone has the PS4 UK version, could you set the console to Spanish and tell me if the game changes to Spanish? It would be extremely appreciated!

Anyone? Pretty please?

It gets crazy when you get those thing together, like:

Actually, that's precisely the only case when there's no ambiguity. 1.001 could be one thousand and one, or one and one thousandth; same for 1,000. However 1.000,001 or 1,000.001 are unambiguously one thousand and one thousandth, they can't be anything else.

Effect

Saw this was 40% on Steam sale but damn.. bugs just seem crazy still.

This is why I'm hesitant to buy it right now. The price is good but if it's bug filled then why bother. The more forum post I read the less open to the purchase I become. I figured since the Wii U version is likely not coming the PC version would be great but if it's not running as it should then why waste the money.

LordAmused

This is why I'm hesitant to buy it right now. The price is good but if it's bug filled then why bother. The more forum post I read the less open the purchase I become. I figured since the Wii U version is likely not coming the PC version would be great but if it's not running as it should then why waste the money.

I bought it yesterday, and honestly, I haven't encountered a single bug since.

fresquito

This is why I'm hesitant to buy it right now. The price is good but if it's bug filled then why bother. The more forum post I read the less open to the purchase I become. I figured since the Wii U version is likely not coming the PC version would be great but if it's not running as it should then why waste the money.
The game has a lot of unconvinient bugs. Some may be deal breakers to some, others have easy workarounds. But the core experience is well worth it in my opinion.

People tend to go to the forums and talk about their bad experiences more than about their good experiences.

Effect

True people are more likely to post negatives then positives overall.

Edit: Okay going to give it a try. With the new refund setup on Steam I can give that a try before it's to late. Just looking at controller settings now.

True people are more likely to post negatives then positives overall.
You want to read something positive about Project CARS? Just go to a Forza thread. Want to hear how Gran Turismo is still the best racing game out there? To the Forza forums!
If you want to read something positive about Forza though..., maybe you're better off on a PCARS thread then.

Jamesways

You want to read something positive about Project CARS? Just go to a Forza thread. Want to hear how Gran Turismo is still the best racing game out there? To the Forza forums!
If you want to read something positive about Forza though..., maybe you're better off on a Driveclub thread then.

Fixed! Yeah, good point though.

danowat

Banned
Lets not gloss over the fact that there are quite a few issues with the game.

However, even with those issues, it's the best racing game I've ever played.

Proc

I just got through playing the kart circuit with my g27 wheel and it was an absolute joy. I'm certainly glad I picked it up during the steam sale. Looking forward to slowly picking away at this campaign in between sessions of pillars of eternity, ark, and the new blood.

can I make PCars control like DriveClub?

Can I put the steering on the D-Pad? (like I have driveclub set up because my fingers hurt after a while with that stick)

I will purchase this if I can get some of these

I know it is a sim but I was hoping you can mess with the settings

Mascot

can I make PCars control like DriveClub?

Can I put the steering on the D-Pad? (like I have driveclub set up because my fingers hurt after a while with that stick)

I will purchase this if I can get some of these

I know it is a sim but I was hoping you can mess with the settings

I'm pretty sure you can map the controls to the dpad if you like. There's also a whole host of tweaking options (and recommended settings on the pCARS forums) so you can dial the feel in however you want. Default settings need some work, apparently.

Top Bottom