• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Proposal for Brooklyn’s tallest tower (1,066 ft (325 m (163 C))) is approved

Status
Not open for further replies.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Link.

S4U4Tlx.jpg

NEuPYbn.jpg

VX6LidF.jpg

Look out, Brooklyn: Here comes your first 1,000-foot tower.

On Tuesday, the New York City Landmarks Preservation Commission approved a proposal for 9 DeKalb Avenue, a 73-story apartment building set to rise this year on Flatbush Avenue next door to Junior’s Restaurant. Though dozens of towers have been built in Downtown Brooklyn over the past decade, the new building, at 1,066 feet, will be almost twice as tall as anything else in the neighborhood.

Until two years ago, only four buildings in New York City surpassed the 1,000-foot mark. Now there are twice as many, with more than two dozen others under construction or in planning.

A 73 story apartment building means 100s of new housing units. Sounds good. Popular cities need to keep building up to keep suburban sprawl from getting worse and prevent runaway housing price increases.

It doesn't look that bad either.

Its not just the downtown area but other parts of Brooklyn will also see high rise buildings.

Very recent story

Nine-Story Development Planned For Coney Island Waterfront - This is important as it marks the beginning of a new Coney Island.

http://www.sheepsheadbites.com/2016/04/bloombergs-fantasy-nine-story-development-planned-for-coney-island-waterfront/

40-Story Tower, Tallest In Coney Island

http://newyorkyimby.com/2015/01/40-story-tower-tallest-in-coney-island-planned-for-trump-village-shopping-center-532-neptune-avenue.html

30-Story Condo Tower Slated For Voorhies Avenue

http://www.sheepsheadbites.com/2014/09/bonkers-30-story-condo-tower-slated-voorhies-avenue-next-subway-station/

Former Cropsey Ave Nursing Home To Be 24-Story Condo Tower (Across the Best Buy - Ceasars Bay)

http://www.bensonhurstbean.com/2014/09/former-cropsey-ave-nursing-home-24-story-condo-tower/#.VxlgcjArKUk

Mully

Long Island City has been transformed into skyscrapers.

I'm okay with all of these large buildings being constructed. These new buildings are an eyesore, and they demolish a neighborhood's history, but they do allow for more people to live in NYC.

A 73 story apartment building means 100s of new housing units. Sounds good. Popular cities need to keep building up to keep suburban sprawl from getting worse and prevent runaway housing price increases.

It doesn't look that bad either.

I think it looks shitty given Brooklyn's skyline but residential structures of that size are clearly needed. So suck it up NYers.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Once they started running people out of their houses with eminent domain laws for the Atlantic Yards project I knew this is the direction brooklyn was headed in

Guevara

At a different angle, you see this ~40 story building only about 6 blocks away

One_hanson_place_williamsburg_savings_building.jpg

I'm all for it. Basically right on top of a ton of transit options.

LQX

Man, Brooklyn has changed so much. We have a new stadium and now a new Tower. I swear for years no one would even look at Brooklyn. A few years ago they wanted to bring Walmart here and it was shot down. I bet it would be approved this time around.

Bacon

Typing "1066 feet to meters" in your Firefox or Chrome address bar will give you the correct answer at the top of your page to 4 decimal points. And it's much faster of a response than asking in a thread.

You and I both know he didn't come into this thread actually looking for an actual answer.

It won't look out of place once the other towers are built around it.
Yeah but they'll all be extremely expensive and out of reach for most people. Unless they are upper middle class/rich. Or if they're willing to have roommates.

But yes in theory it would be great to increase density and minimize land usage.
But not building at all will make the situation and even worse as the rich compete even more for the limited supply. It's better to build and satisfy the demands at the top for now. Eventually something will have to give.

Always wonder about people living at the top floors of these tower, how long do they spend in elevators? does the view get old? do they get bugs?

Sunster

reminds me of executive order 1066. Signed by Roosevelt in 1943 which authorized the US government to round up ethnically Japanese citizens and throw them into interment camps.

So that's fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom