• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS, I Love You- Greg Miller's new PlayStation Podcast

Mezoly

If the rules say that this thread needs to stick to a narrow topic, I suppose I'll follow them, but:

On the other hand, there are quite a few people (myself included) who very much think that this thread is a fine place for any and all discussion of Greg, Colin, and PS I Love You. That's what it has become organically. This thread doesn't get that much traffic anyway, even when a new episode comes out. So, I sort of think it's weird to me to say that the thread should "stay on-topic" instead of discussing Colin—one of the hosts of the show—which is both a) plausibly on-topic and b) not preventing discussion of the show.

We have a community thread that's about everything Kinda Funny not just this podcast. It's in the gaming community side though so not sure how much politics is allowed.

meanspartan

Like I said, if it comes up in the podcast, by all means.

But you are not the only one in the thread and others have expressed that they would prefer a more on-topic thread, privately and in the thread itself.

I didn't say you could never speak with him on these topics on GAF. The current Colin Was Right thread or a new thread in Off-Topic would be a better fit for that discussion though.

That thread is toxic. Even as someone who disagrees with Colin on politics a ton, I would advise he stay far away from there for his mental health haha. The video last week in fact was mostly him AGREEING with the left on the issue of immigration, or at least on Trump's botched EO, and yet people still couldn't resist attacking him viciously, it's not Gaf's best moment :-/

Still, I respect that this is the gaming side, maybe we need to make an off-topic thread of some sort.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
The video last week in fact was mostly him AGREEING with the left on the issue of immigration, or at least on Trump's botched EO, and yet people still couldn't resist attacking him viciously, it's not Gaf's best moment :-/

Still, I respect that this is the gaming side, maybe we need to make an off-topic thread of some sort.

IIRC it was the last part of the video and his subsequent interactions with the person on Twitter that caused the drama in that thread. I'd agree about an OT thread though.

nynt9

That thread is toxic. Even as someone who disagrees with Colin on politics a ton, I would advise he stay far away from there for his mental health haha. The video last week in fact was mostly him AGREEING with the left on the issue of immigration, or at least on Trump's botched EO, and yet people still couldn't resist attacking him viciously, it's not Gaf's best moment :-/

People agreed with him on the Trump stuff, the issue was because of his bit at the end about the 2046 tweet and the twitter storm that followed and him being disrespectful to Rami Ismail.

Edit: my bad mhwilliams didn't see your post

The CWR thread is absolutely embarrassing, it's so absurd in there. I think any OT thread would probably end up the same way.

People agreed with him on the Trump stuff, the issue was because of his bit at the end about the 2046 tweet and the twitter storm that followed and him being disrespectful to Rami Ismail.

I agree with this for the most part. His video was sound until the last part which I vehemently disagree with. Still I think some people went overboard with the insults lol.

ANYWAY, as MHWilliams said, let's focus :p Shouldn't PSILY be out any minute now?

[EDIT] Aha spoke to soon loool 😂😂

I wish Ryan was on the show permanently :(

Miller, Moriarty, Clements and Goldfarb was the pinnacle.

Yeah definitely. Goldfarb was a solid addition, maybe it's just nostalgia, but I thought the era of it being just Miller/Moriarty/Clements was the best. The chemistry those three held was great.

SamNW

We have a community thread that's about everything Kinda Funny not just this podcast. It's in the gaming community side though so not sure how much politics is allowed.
I get that, but the notion that we need to limit any and all discussion of Colin to one thread or another flies in the face of how conversation flows naturally and, again, I don't really think it's clear that the topic of Colin Moriarty, broadly defined, is "off-topic" in a thread about a show that he hosts.
When they made PSILY I was hoping for them to eventually strike some sort of deal for the inclusion of Clements, as foolish and unlikely as that thought was.
As much as I like their rapport with Clements, that would be a pretty weird look, now that he works at Sony. They definitely need a third voice, though. I already really like the podcast, but a rotating (or "rotating") third chair would do wonders.

Kasper

Yeah definitely. Goldfarb was a solid addition, maybe it's just nostalgia, but I thought the era of it being just Miller/Moriarty/Clements was the best. The chemistry those three held was great.

That was when they were at their best. Goldfarb was a nice addition, but the trio was them at their pinnacle. When they made PSILY I was hoping for them to eventually strike some sort of deal for the inclusion of Clements, as foolish and unlikely as that thought was.

notaxation

Neo Member
I hope you guys enjoy this week's episode. It's really different, but it was fun to record. We thought it would be interesting to give a little peek behind how we do what we do (e.g. how and why we deal with PR, et cetera).

DeviantBoi

I wish Ryan was on the show permanently :(

Miller, Moriarty, Clements and Goldfarb was the pinnacle.
IGN fired Clements but kept McCaffrey.

Shows how far up their asses they have their heads.

I'm glad PlayStation picked him up. The Blogcast is the only PS-centric podcast I listen to now.

Zukkoyaki

I'm glad PlayStation picked him up. The Blogcast is the only PS-centric podcast I listen to now.
Clements wasn't fired he was laid off during restructuring after they fell under new ownership. I have to imagine that IGN didn't have as much say in the matter as you would believe.

On-Topic: about to settle in for an afternoon of work and listen to this week's episode!

DeviantBoi

Clements wasn't fired he was laid off during restructuring after they fell under new ownership. I have to imagine that IGN didn't have as much say in the matter as you would believe.

On-Topic: about to settle in for an afternoon of work and listen to this week's episode!
Same thing. They got rid of Clements and kept McCaffrey.

Funny... I was just listening to a George Carlin bit about something similar...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuEQixrBKCc

SamNW

I hope you guys enjoy this week's episode. It's really different, but it was fun to record. We thought it would be interesting to give a little peek behind how we do what we do (e.g. how and why we deal with PR, et cetera).
Definitely. Listening to it now, and very intrigued by this idea for an "evergreen" episode. Also, pertinent to something you mention at the beginning: I'm really looking forward to your talk with Adam Boyes.

Tjamato88

Good show this week. I've definitely been a critic in the past and still don't agree with everything you say but this was cool look behind the curtain. I'm a big fan of these inside baseball kind of episodes where we get to hear about your past at IGN and the relationships you have with publishers, PR and devs.

It would be even better if you could actually tell some of the stories that you and Greg held back on this week.

Very interested to watch this later, sounds like it's going to be a good show

As others mentioned, Clements was laid off, though IIRC, he wasn't in an editorial position, he was planning events or something like that at the time he was let go, so that might explain it.

Great episode so far this week, though only half an hour in. Now I understand why they call him the pride of Long Island
watch the episode and see how many times he uses that word :p

FelipeMGM

just finished listening and really loved it, a bunch of great stories were told there. As someone who started in the industry a couple years ago and deals with some of this stuff too, it was relatable and enlightening at some points

thx for the episode

notaxation

Neo Member
welcome back :)

Welcome-Back-Kotter-70s-Style-Gabe-Kotter-Gabe-Kaplan.jpg

Ellite25

I'm about half way through and I'm enjoying it so far. It's cool to hear about the journey each of you has had through the games media industry. Also cool to gain some insight into some behind the scenes stuff at IGN.

jacobeid

Banned

Listening now and enjoying it. Thanks Colin, I'm glad to see you back around.

hookurs

Yeah we tease him a lot 'cause we got him on the spot
Welcome back, welcome back, welcome back, welcome back
Welcome back, welcome back, welcome back

:)

Fjordson

This episode was really good. Last few have been quite good imo. I've always found behind the scenes type stuff about games media to be interesting.

Also props to Colin for stepping back in here despite the critics (myself included at times). Can be a bit of a minefield I'm sure.

Fantastic episode thanks Colin and Greg, was a fascinating peck behind the curtain. Hope to get some more like this from time to time do love the evergreen episodes.

An episode like that makes me nostalgic for the old days of IGN. I used to follow the site a ton but when everyone left so did I. Colin and Greg were the last thing I was staying for. Beyond, Gamescoop, TRL, NVC, those were good times.

Haribokart

Banned
Great episode, really interesting even though I hadn't even heard of these guys until 2015-ish. Didn't know Greg had cancer.

krae_man

I must say, I don't like how Colin and Greg address "how can you be objective when you are friends with the people you are covering" every time that subject is brought up.

I much prefer how everyone who worked for EGM/1up address it.

"Of course it has an impact, I'm human. All I can do is mitigate it as much as possible" is a way better approach then "I'm immune".

jf DOOM

Fantastic episode. Keep doing your thing Colin, you're by far my favorite voice in gaming. It's great to see your insight on these threads.

Hang on, I gotta find some tweezers to pull that unexpected shrapnel out of my flesh. :)

Hopefully you show up in some KF content soon! Also, I'm sure you'll appreciate this, but it feels so good to have baseball starting soon (good luck to your D-Backs!). The WBC will be a nice thing to watch before the season begins.

Curufinwe

I must say, I don't like how Colin and Greg address "how can you be objective when you are friends with the people you are covering" every time that subject is brought up.

I much prefer how everyone who worked for EGM/1up address it.

"Of course it has an impact, I'm human. All I can do is mitigate it as much as possible" is a way better approach then "I'm immune".

They're not honest with themselves, so they can't be honest with the audience.

ironmang

Just catching up with last weeks episode. Thought it was odd that Colin called the first year of PS2 bad. I always thought it was incredible if the year we're using is from the NA launch. Like the 2001 PS2 lineup is one of the strongest years ever for a console imo.

Colin's super cool for coming back to this thread in engaging with both the happy folks and the pissy folks alike.

I sure as hell wouldn't have.

Agreed. People were surprised that he left acting as if people were respectful in the way that they present their criticisms on him and the shows. When in reality a lot of the topics turn into hatred circle jerks by like the same 5 people.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Just catching up with last weeks episode. Thought it was odd that Colin called the first year of PS2 bad. I always thought it was incredible if the year we're using is from the NA launch. Like the 2001 PS2 lineup is one of the strongest years ever for a console imo.

It's a fair comment IMO. IIRC the launch in 2000 was terrible and it really didn't start picking up until towards the end of 2001.

SamNW

Edited to remove political conversation.

On a more positive note, this week's episode of PS I Love You was excellent. I thought it offered some interesting insights into the relationships you and Greg have with folks around the industry.

Mods please let me know if I need to delete the following post. Given that Colin is here engaging with listeners about topics political and otherwise, I figure it's still appropriate to continue that conversation, even if you've decided that politics are outside the purview of this thread.

sKrqAN5.png

Hey Colin, just wanted to offer this up as a concrete example of something that I think puts you on shaky ground when you argue to me that in fact you don't say that the government should take little-to-no responsibility for the welfare of its people. For all your talk of moderation, the idea of abolishing the income tax puts you well outside of the mainstream. I don't believe that being outside of the mainstream is inherently bad, but I also don't believe that you can advocate getting rid of the income tax and still claim middle ground. Doing away with income tax would eviscerate our already-weak social safety net.

And before you get all hot and bothered about VAT, let me just say that there is no nation on Earth that uses a VAT instead of an income tax. There are nations that use various forms and levels of VAT, obviously, but none of them collect VAT and VAT alone. But that's beside the point, anyway. VAT is regressive and there's no coherent argument for putting in place a consumption tax that disproportionately affects the poor.

Q1Dcimk.png

This tweet also sucked, but it leads us to a whole separate conversation about the shitty pearl clutching that privileged white folks engage in when vulnerable and marginalized people protest. Even when, you know, the vast majority of them are protesting peacefully. But hey, who wants to see the forest for the trees?

That said, I'm not sure what your exact position is here, so I don't want to go too hard with the criticism.

On a more positive note, this week's episode of PS I Love You was excellent. I thought it offered some interesting insights into the relationships you and Greg have with folks around the industry.

MHWilliams said to keep things related to the podcast here. If you want to speak about Colin's politics, use the official thread over in community. Edit- I saw your disclaimer on the top.

I have no clue what's all going on in here.

This thread is for "PS, I Love You- Greg Miller's new PlayStation Podcast". Not politics. One of the podcast creators is open to answering questions on the matter, but generally, it's good to stay on topic.

A certain amount of thread drift is fine and normal. If the podcast has an episode on political topics, it's also fine to bring that up, like the other thread on Colin Was Right. But consistent talk off-topic isn't always the greatest look. People have complained and that's why I'm here.

If you want to talk to Colin about his politics, the Colin Was Right thread or perhaps the Community thread are better places, but beyond that, it's better to start something in Off-Topic.

Otherwise, this thread is about PS, I Love You. This has been your warning. Be good people.

Overtech

Neo Member
Excellent episode! It's a nice reminder that there are good people working in the industry who we never get a chance to see, but truly deserve the accolade.

Top Bottom