• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS, I Love You- Greg Miller's new PlayStation Podcast

Mezoly

I wouldn't say TLG bombed commercially.

It didn't chart digitally or physically two months in a row in North America. Its Pal numbers weren't hot either. Don't know Japan numbers. It's my GOTY from last year but it did bomb by most measures. It might made profit for Sony if the budget was low but not a lot.

Wagram

More misinformation and apparently 81 and 82 Metacritic scores is critical bomb.

What do you offer this industry besides pessimism?

jf DOOM

Part of his job is a PlayStation podcast and not having an informed opinion about big PlayStation exclusives take them out of the conversation. That's the thing with Colin & Greg opinion's about games is that their tastes has drifted far off PS exclusives so much that there is very little that they care about and the PS audience care about.
Let me list the PS exclusives/important to PS audience that C&G don't really care about/ won't finish: TLG, GR2, Bloodborne, Yakuza 0, Nier Automata, God of War, Dreams, Nioh, FF15.

He is not wrong that TLG and Gravity Rush 2 has bombed commercially, but he is not right when he say that they bombed critically.

Those are games people on Neogaf care about. The vast majority of PlayStation users have no idea the majority of those games exist.

Liamc723

Those are games people on Neogaf care about. The vast majority of PlayStation users have no idea the majority of those games exist.

Someone who watches a PlayStation podcast, is a person who cares about those exclusives. They're not informed enough to cater to their audience.

It doesn't matter whatsoever that the majority of PS4 owners won't play those games.

Mezoly

Really? Bloodborne sold over 2 millions copies, FF15 sold bonkers, GoW is one of the PS biggest franchises. It's trailer has more views than any other game on the PS channel (LOL at them saying that The last of Us is bigger than God of War).

Also last Gen they were the champion of such niche games like Ni Nu Koni, now they are too big for them. Their audience is hardcore PlayStation fans. I follow KindaFunny on the fan group and they talk about those games as well.

It didn't chart digitally or physically two months in a row in North America. It's Pal numbers weren't hot either. Don't know Japan numbers. It's my GOTY from last year but it did bomb by most measures. It might made profit for Sony if the budget was low but not a lot.
Games are frontloaded. It is normal for games to disappear the next month following their launch. It did okay in Japan and PAL. I'm not suggesting it sold really well either. Just that it isn't a "bomb". I think that word gets tossed around without actually capturing what it would actually mean for a game to bomb. Battleborn, for example, was a bomb.

VwrlcCX.jpg

Can't help but feel the same.

I guess I'm in the camp where I would rather them play less games that were more carefully selected and that they actually beat than "touching" a bunch of games and having no real opinion on them.

The "lets shit on a game that we've played for an hour" schtick is getting old. Seriously, the cynicism crap they've been pulling the last two years has outdone its welcome. If you're going to critique a game to death at least play to the halfway point.

Neonep

I felt the exact same way about The Last Guardian as Colin did. I sat down and gave it a go and after a while realized that I thought the controls were trash and put it down and said never again. I don't have the time to invest in a game that I don't even like. Rather play games that I actually like. I also don't believe in that "play this game for so and so time and it gets good." Nah... son.

blakep267

Really? Bloodborne sold over 2 millions copies, FF15 sold bonkers, GoW is one of the PS biggest franchises. It's trailer has more views than any other game on the PS channel (LOL at them saying that The last of Us is bigger than God of War).

Also last Gen they were the champion of such niche games like Ni Nu Koni, now they are too big for them. Their audience is hardcore PlayStation fans. I follow KindaFunny on the fan group and they talk about those games as well.
god of war games don't sell bonkers. The franchise was at 21 million last time we got numbers I think. That was the same as Uncharted and close to gears(22 million) before their latest installments. TLOU was big the first game, dontonthe ND brand

god of war games don't sell bonkers. The franchise was at 21 million last time we got numbers I think. That was the same as Uncharted and close to gears(22 million) before their latest installments. TLOU was big the first game, dontonthe ND brand

HUH? GOW 3 was around 5-6 million and debuted over a million in NPD, for an exclusive those are big numbers.

The "lets shit on a game that we've played for an hour" schtick is getting old. Seriously, the cynicism crap they've been pulling the last two years has outdone its welcome. If you're going to critique a game to death at least play to the halfway point.

It's ridiculous, no idea how anyone takes these guys opinions as meaning anything at this point, especially for the PS community is beyond me. They are awful at reporting and covering playstation.

Biggest PlayStation franchises are roughly:

Gran Turismo(77 million)
Uncharted(37 million)
Ratchet and Clank(25+million)
God of War(21+ million)

LBP, TLOU, Infamous, Killzone, Jak, Sly, Twisted Metal are all well below 20 million sold I imagine.

the1npc

I felt the exact same way about The Last Guardian as Colin did. I sat down and gave it a go and after a while realized that I thought the controls were trash and put it down and said never again. I don't have the time to invest in a game that I don't even like. Rather play games that I actually like. I also don't believe in that "play this game for so and so time and it gets good." Nah... son.

I don't get the control issues. you walk with the sticks and use the buttons like any other game. Its not like its some super fucked control system where you need to walk with R2 or use the sixaxis/touch pad

Dysun

His argument against the Pro was stupid from day one and makes even less sense now.

They planted their flag in the sand against the Pro before it was even announced, they are going to die on that hill even if it turns out to be a moderate success for Sony. There's no reason to believe its a flop or cost them money in any way, shape, or form thus far but that's their narrative and to hell with logic.

They planted their flag in the sand against the Pro before it was even announced, they are going to die on that hill even if it turns out to be a moderate success for Sony. There's no reason to believe its a flop or cost them money in any way, shape, or form thus far but that's their narrative and to hell with logic.

Sony actually said in their recent financial briefing that if anything the Pro has done better than they were expecting. So, unless Colin and Greg think that Sony's going to sit in front of investors and lie to them, then maybe it's time to knock off the Pro failure talk.

I'm not sure I agree with Detroit falling under the post-apocalyptic umbrella but then again Colin has seen more of the game than the rest of us.

I agree with both of them when it comes to Days Gone. I actually think it has a shot at doing well commercially (an open world zombie game with a serious tone has appeal), but critically you can tell that a lot of people/games media are already sour on it.

Bend has to show up at E3 with a killer demo.

It's maddening, and many other things they say is just out of touch. I cringe at the fact these guys are the most popular PS podcast.

I'm not sure I agree with Detroit falling under the post-apocalyptic umbrella but then again Colin has seen more of the game than the rest of us.

I agree with both of them when it comes to Days Gone. I actually think it has a shot at doing well commercially (an open world zombie game with a serious tone has appeal), but critically you can tell that a lot of people/games media are already sour on it.

Bend has to show up at E3 with a killer demo.

Based on what?

jf DOOM

Someone who watches a PlayStation podcast, is a person who cares about those exclusives. They're not informed enough to cater to their audience.

It doesn't matter whatsoever that the majority of PS4 owners won't play those games.

I've been listening to Beyond and their Kinda Funny stuff because I enjoy the banter between the two of them. I don't need to hear them give a "review" of a game they're not interested in or the ps pro to have my opinion validated by them. I'm sure others feel the same, that's why they have the following they do.

jf DOOM

2 million copies on a system with a 55 million base is not a huge resounding amount of public support. Call of duty sells that in its first week.

Zukkoyaki

2 million copies on a system with a 55 million base is not a huge resounding amount of public support. Call of duty sells that in its first week.
Call of Duty is the exception not the rule, plus success is relative. It's been reported multiple times that Bloodborne outperformed Sony's expectations. There are literally like 5 franchises that don't look like failures when compared to Call of Duty.

jf DOOM

Call of Duty is the exception not the rule, plus success is relative. It's been reported multiple times that Bloodborne outperformed Sony's expectations. There are literally like 5 franchises that don't look like failures when compared to Call of Duty.

Bloodborne was used as an example of something the general public cares about. The amount it sold says otherwise. Bloodborne has a huge following on sites like this and Twitter but for the majority of the PlayStation users they don't care about it.

Zukkoyaki

Bloodborne was used as an example of something the general public cares about. The amount it sold says otherwise. Bloodborne has a huge following on sites like this and Twitter but for the majority of the PlayStation users they don't care about it.
Gotcha, fair point! But honestly Sony has never really had that many legit blockbusters that have ever caught on with the general public. GT, GOW, TLOU and Uncharted are pretty much it since the PS1 days.

Past

m7OuxVB.jpg

Why is it that a big YouTuber like Angry Joe who his main job is to review games, hardly gets review copies, but Kinda Funny gets every games early when they don't even review them?

jf DOOM

Gotcha, fair point! But honestly Sony has never really had that many legit blockbusters that have ever caught on with the general public. GT, GOW, TLOU and Uncharted are pretty much it since the PS1 days.

And I agree with you. I just don't understand the criticism that they don't talk about FFXV or Last Guardian as not "catering" to their fans. Why would you want to hear someone talk about a game they're not passionate about. Indifference is far worse.

m7OuxVB.jpg

Why is it that a big YouTuber like Angry Joe who his main job is to review games, hardly gets review copies, but Kinda Funny gets every games early when they don't even review them?

Al those connections they talked about last week.

Zukkoyaki

And I agree with you. I just don't understand the criticism that they don't talk about FFXV or Last Guardian as not "catering" to their fans. Why would you want to hear someone talk about a game they're not passionate about. Indifference is far worse.
It is kind of a weird discussion because I see both points. Folks want to hear informed opinions from the PlayStation experts but what's the point of hearing what a disinterested party has to say?

Though I think the criticism isn't necessarily the lack of talk about certain games, it's the making of definitive statements on games after very little time with them or with, at times, sparse knowledge of the game.

jf DOOM

It is kind of a weird discussion because I see both points. Folks want to hear informed opinions from the PlayStation experts but what's the point of hearing what a disinterested party has to say?

Though I think the criticism isn't necessarily the lack of talk about certain games, it's the making of definitive statements on games after very little time with them or with, at times, sparse knowledge of the game.

I would imagine the people criticizing them can form an opinion whether they like something or not fairly quickly and can speak definitively about those opinions, so why is it an issue when Colin or Greg do it?

the1npc

m7OuxVB.jpg

Probably because Joe is very consumer friendly and calls devs and pubs outnon their shit so they dont want to give him free stuff

Zukkoyaki

I would imagine the people criticizing them can form an opinion whether they like something or not fairly quickly and can speak definitively about those opinions, so why is it an issue when Colin or Greg do it?
Very good question. I've given my share of criticism in this thread but ultimately I'm pretty indifferent to a lot of the complaints here. I typically just tune in and enjoy the show without much thought so I can't speak super definitively about these critiques. But my guess is that listeners hold folks like Greg and Colin to a hire standard than regular people because they're a part of the industry and make a living discussing it. Again it does make some sense but it isn't completely fair. Especially when Greg and Colin try to make s point that they aren't journalists and shouldn't be viewed the way they did while at IGN.

jf DOOM

Very good question. I've given my share of criticism in this thread but ultimately I'm pretty indifferent to a lot of the complaints here. I typically just tune in and enjoy the show without much thought so I can't speak super definitively about these critiques. But my guess is that listeners hold folks like Greg and Colin to a hire standard than regular people because they're a part of the industry and make a living discussing it. Again it does make some sense but it isn't completely fair. Especially when Greg and Colin try to make s point that they aren't journalists and shouldn't be viewed the way they did while at IGN.

Precisely. Also I'm sure time is at a premium. Running your own business is far different than working 50-60 hours a week as an employee of a huge corporation. They've said multiple times if they're not passionate about something they don't have the time to devote to it.

Probably because Joe is very consumer friendly and calls devs and pubs outnon their shit so they dont want to give him free stuff

I don't get this take. Colin calls Sony out constantly. Why would KF be different?

Precisely. Also I'm sure time is at a premium. Running your own business is far different than working 50-60 hours a week as an employee of a huge corporation. They've said multiple times if they're not passionate about something they don't have the time to devote to it.

I don't get this take. Colin calls Sony out constantly. Why would KF be different?

It did lead to them not getting a ps4 pro so I would say it stands to reason that someone who is constantly talking about the issues he sees wouldn't get preferential treatment.

Right, they want to say they aren't journalists, while at the same time acting like journalists and enjoying the benefits and access of being media. They want to have their cake and eat it too. It's a kinda shitty way to act.

Was there writing on the wall for the South Park delay? I didn't get that impression from any other outlet.

Edit: Oh yes, Nioh is a huge hit but no one liked TLG or Gravity Rush and they bombed.

Why can't you love these games like you love Waffle House?!

I don't really understand what metrics Colin uses when rating the success of games like GR2 and TLG.

Possibly GR2 was a commercial flop by any standard but look at TLG, it currently has higher lifetime sales in 4 months as Vagrant Story had in 16 years, a PS1 classic that was one of many niche titles that makes that console so fondly remembered and whose value to the platform is never questioned the way Colin questions TLG.

Yes TLG may not have recouped its development costs given its time in development hell, but selling ~1mil is absolutely fine for a niche title, games like that with sales figures like those are not a failure because they don't sell as much as an Uncharted.

Archtreyz

Top comment says it all:

"Nioh is unequivocally harder than Bloodborne and Dark Souls."

Has not beat Bloodborne or Dark Souls 3.
No but he played them for around the same amount of time. And I would say Nioh is harder. The difference I would say, is that Dark Souls feels more cheap than Nioh. But that's just how I feel.

No but he played them for around the same amount of time. And I would say Nioh is harder. The difference I would say, is that Dark Souls feels more cheap than Nioh. But that's just how I feel.
Judging by his trophy list he barely played DS3 and hasn't finished Bloodborne and a lot of it's secret areas.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member

If you think Nioh is "way harder" it's because you haven't learned the game and are making it hard for yourself. I'm sorry but that just isn't a thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tam18p25Jxc
This is super endgame content and basically just someone that build his character well which isn't super hard with respeccing being readily available for testing a good few times and abundance of amrita and skill points.

Wow soooo hard..... also in the podcast the Diablo connection wasn't even mentioned unless I missed it. Point is you can never break the game in this way in any Souls game. I'm not even halfway to that kind of stuff but I'm not particularly challenged by the game as someone that doesn't think he's good at games. I'm sucking at them until I learn and improve to get competent not good just competent.

You want to contest that Nioh in the beginning(first area + first boss) is harder than any Souls game? That's a stronger case(also depending on which Souls we speak of) but I also don't think it has a lot more merit given how you don't get forced to master the basic system at all to progress although doing that makes it much easier. If you want you can basically Souls(poke and back off) the boss down just by reacting correctly to all the move tells/patterns he does.

You don't have to complete a game to have an opinion on it.
What type of argument is that? People aren't challenging the existence of his opinion people are criticizing the merit of it.
People gotta stop with the "muh opinion" card it's a garbage counter. I can have an opinion on the earth being flat, that does not earn it some kind of untouchable protection.

Sorry if that comes out harsh, read it in Colin general matter of fact voice pls.

You're not giving your opinion to hundreds of thousands of people. I agree with people that they should try to finish games and talk about them. I don't need a summary from guys who basically watched the trailer of the game, that does nothing for me.

Paches

m7OuxVB.jpg

Greg and Colin worked at IGN and have a lot of connections and access to execs in the business still. I imagine it is as simple as that.

Gxgear

Honestly not sure I'd take anything said in a PlayStation podcast from Greg seriously, my recollection of his work mostly involves throwing shade at PlayStation on IGN.

Neonep

At the end of the day this is all entertainment. I don't get too bent out of shape about people's opinion especially about something on video games. It's whatever. I enjoy Kinda Funny's content. The one thing I do hate is that when people come into thread and just because they don't agree with somebody's opinion they shit on him and pick apart every word.

Strings

Watched this weeks episode because I was happy to see Colin pop back up on Neogaf last week.

Was okay overall. The Nioh section was weird, because from what I understand Colin hasn't gotten more than three bosses deep in a From game. Having platinumed Nioh now, I'd argue it's way easier just by virtue of giving you waaaay more things to do as a player, while the bosses still do the typical videogame boss things. Anyway, that's just a small niggle more than anything else.

The really dismissive / petty PS4 Pro stuff annoyed me way more. Especially including the email that went on about how Netflix on Pro doesn't include HDR, blah blah. When you have to include nonsense like that just to include someone who agrees with you? Blegh... I wish more than anything the guys would just ignore the things existence, because then they would be factually incorrect way less.

But yeah, overall flow was better. Greg's trip to Australia and Colin's work on his new show seem to have recharged their 'give-a-shit levels' a bit more. Will check out next weeks too, and see if I decide to pick it back up, or just leave the show dropped for another couple of months.

Past

Greg and Colin worked at IGN and have a lot of connections and access to execs in the business still. I imagine it is as simple as that.

Connections or not, I still don't get why PR allow them to have early copies. Like what's the benefits? It's doing more harm than good at this point. Their impressions for recent games like FFXV, TLG, GR2, Yakuza 0 and Nioh has been really really bad.

At the end of the day this is all entertainment. I don't get too bent out of shape about people's opinion especially about something on video games. It's whatever. I enjoy Kinda Funny's content. The one thing I do hate is that when people come into thread and just because they don't agree with somebody's opinion they shit on him and pick apart every word.

A+

Top Bottom