• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS, I Love You- Greg Miller's new PlayStation Podcast

You can only hope that maybe this could hurt KindaFunny and game devs second guess giving them interviews or marketing money.

Fuckwits like that only learn when it effects their paycheck.

Quonny

I have no problem with his joke, honestly. It's a stupid joke that's been done to death. When my wife leaves town for work I make the same joke. It's stupid, and lame, but whatever. He probably shouldn't have done it on such a public platform, especially with his history, but the most I can muster is an eye roll.

What I do have a problem with is that he did it to make people upset. He's quite literally the thing he hates, and it boggles my mind that he can't see that.

Edit: Did more research on the hashtag, and yeah, he's a dipshit and it makes it less acceptable, not that it really was in the first place.

MrS

Banned
I never said they do. Patreon is an exchange of money for entertainment which they deliver. It's entirely voluntary, I never said I was robbed of anything.

I'm explaining why myself and others are upset at times
You haven't explained it very well. Why are you upset? Because Colin made a harmless joke on Twitter that offended you?

You can only hope that maybe this could hurt KindaFunny and game devs second guess giving them interviews or marketing money.

Fuckwits like that only learn when it effects their paycheck.

Do you think this joke means that Colin actively works to inhibit women in society or acts to make them inferior? Does he even have that power?

If not then there's no reason for developers to flee from him or kinda funny.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
You haven't explained it very well. Why are you upset? Because Colin made a harmless joke on Twitter that offended you?

Did you even read the post you are quoting? The explanation you received was was far more pleasant than your aggressive tone deserves.

APF

The explanation was perfectly clear and frankly a lot nicer than I would have replied with.

Fhtagn

He trolls you and you fall for it? Mission accomplished, I guess.

Is it funny or clever to troll people in a way indistinguishable from just being an average every day sexist shithead? No.

Making a joke like this, on a day like this, with a president like this, shows an astonishing lack of empathy and self-awareness.

Not a good look for someone who's trying to appeal to a wide audience. Bad business move as well as morally suspect.

How exactly is a joke that's only remotely funny if you don't value the women in your life harmless? It shows genuine disrespect and the fallout shows why it wasn't harmless.

hawk2025

Saying something is sexist in no way diminishes other, more dangerous examples of sexism.

That's complete nonsense.

Again, that's not the point, however. The point is that he did it specifically to play the victim.

Do you think this joke means that Colin actively works to inhibit women in society or acts to make them inferior?

It doesn't become active until he triples down on "IT'S JUST A JOKE YOU HUMORLESS SACKS OF SHIT". An active disdain for self-reflection, an intentional negligence to consider thoughtful feedback, and the ego-centric, selfish need to defend oneself at all costs are all something that a person can be criticized for.

Absolute refusal to even consider change is a childish trait.

This goes far beyond one joke, it's about Colin's increasingly aggressive and hostile attitude to anyone who disagrees with him, including long-time supporters who are merely trying to voice their criticism. It's also about KF as both a company and community labeling any dissent as 'haters' and becoming the very thing Colin claims to hate - an echo chamber.

I think I've made myself very clear but if you either don't want to or can't understand where I'm coming from then I won't waste either of our time on it.

People in the industry are pretty clearly speaking out against this kinda BS on twitter right now, and I do wonder if Colin's antics will ever affect KF in any tangible negative way.

I doubt it, because their Patrons obviously don't care.

I don't think this will affect their patreon money tbh, in fact I wouldn't be surprised if they get more patreons, there are a lot of people who are ok with this. Maybe Palmer Luckey becomes a patreon or something...

I've spoken with at least half a dozen people who are rescinding their Patreon pledge and/or Twitch subs as a result of today's shenanigans - people who have been on the cusp but this pushed them to do it.

MrS

Banned
The explanation was perfectly clear and frankly a lot nicer than I would have replied with.
Good to know
This goes far beyond one joke, it's about Colin's increasingly aggressive and hostile attitude to anyone who disagrees with him, including long-time supporters who are merely trying to voice their criticism. It's also about KF as both a company and community labeling any dissent as 'haters' and becoming the very thing Colin claims to hate - an echo chamber.
So are you going to pull your funding over this or na?

ironmang

It's amazing how much respect he probably would have gotten if he just put out a tweet thanking all the women in his life that helped him get to where he is. Maybe not from the people who hate the shit out of him or the vocal minority of gamergaters but from regular fans or peers absolutely.

It's amazing how much respect he probably would have gotten if he just put out a tweet thanking all the women in his life that helped him get to where he is. Maybe not from the people who hate the shit out of him or the vocal minority of gamergaters but from regular fans or peers absolutely.

Fully agreed. This is what really irks me about Colin. Rather than do something likely (almost) universally positive, he does something that he knows will make some laugh, anger others, and ultimately divide his fanbase.

Jebusman

Banned

What are you talking about?

Colin got to where he is all by himself just like the way he says everyone can do all by themselves with no help whatsoever why would anyone even need help it's just about attitude and hard work and helping only yourself like everyone does that's the Ayn Rand dream.

/s

RoKKeR

It's strange, in the last few months Colin has become the most high quality content producer at Kinda Funny IMO, but his online presence has simultaneously become a bit more grating. (even for me who generally doesn't get riled up about this kind of stuff) He is certainly becoming a bit of a caricature of himself.

I'm not sure if my Amazon Prime Twitch subscription provides revenue but I have not used it on KF because of these antics and the lack of real response from most of the hosts. So his actions have influenced my decisions. I have certain content creators I go out of my way to support and share.

Colin got to where he is all by himself just like the way he says everyone can do all by themselves with no help whatsoever why would anyone even need help it's just about attitude and hard work and helping only yourself like everyone does that's the Ayn Rand dream.

/s

BOOTSRAPS!

Do you think this joke means that Colin actively works to inhibit women in society or acts to make them inferior? Does he even have that power?

If not then there's no reason for developers to flee from him or kinda funny.

I think people like him should not be a representative of this industry/hobby in any fashion going forward. Unfortunately, the people around him are protecting him by not speaking up or holding him accountable for his actions. If he can go off on his own and cultivate the fans that want this kind of behavior out of him that would be preferred. I'm more disappointed that people like him are welcome in organizations with influence in the industry when his exact attitude is a massive tangible problem affecting countless lives in the video game industry.

ironmang

/s

A couple episodes ago him and Greg spent basically the whole episode thanking everybody that helped them the past roughly 10 years that they've been doing this professionally. His political views get a lot of shit around here but he's fully aware that a lot of people helped him be so successful and many of them were women that he mentioned by name. That version of Colin should be the one with twitter access, not the 24/7 trolling one. :p

AmuroChan

Fully agreed. This is what really irks me about Colin. Rather than do something likely (almost) universally positive, he does something that he knows will make some laugh, anger others, and ultimately divide his fanbase.

He's never been one to conform to the majority. The guy grew up in NY, went to college in Boston, then worked in SF his entire adult life, and is somehow a conservative. That's almost unheard of. The fact that he was able to survive in games media for a decade being an outspoken conservative is hard to believe. I can only imagine how many times he was close to being laid off from IGN because of his political beliefs.

RoKKeR

Post from reddit that I mostly agree with:

The joke is whatever. It's unfunny and unoriginal, but when I first saw it I just scrolled past.
It's the response after that I find bothersome. It makes it seem like the joke was just bait to get a response, so he could have more ammo in this crusade against "overly-sensitive people".
This game is getting old. If you want to troll, then own being a troll. I don't understand how Colin can preach coming together, taking a more measured approach, listening to different viewpoints, being nicer and better to each other- then basically bait a response so he can call people "humorless sacks of shit".
It feels like he just stirs up this drama so he can continue complaining that people are mean to him on the internet, complaining about the "15 haters on GAF".
So why does he keep engaging with it then? On this subreddit, on GAF- he almost exclusively responds to the negative posts about him. Meanwhile there are fans who would kill for that kind of attention and response from Colin on their positive posts here, on the KF forums, etc. Why not use some time and energy to respond to the people on the forums who are loving CWR, for example? At this point it seems like he only wants to engage with negativity so he can continue to complain about it.

tuxfool

Banned
He's never been one to conform to the majority. The guy grew up in NY, went to college in Boston, then worked in SF his entire adult life, and is somehow a conservative. That's almost unheard of. The fact that he was able to survive in games media for a decade being an outspoken conservative is hard to believe. I can only imagine how many times he was close to being laid off from IGN because of his political beliefs.

He grew up in a Republican enclave. It isn't magic.

5 pages on a tweet by Colin? You guys should really open an "I hate Colin" thread for discussing all things Colin-Hate related and keep this thread for discussing the actual show the thread is named after.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Yeah, it's really not hard to call that tweet out for what it is. Doesn't mean you have to renounce your support for KF and cancel the patreon sub. Yet here we are...

Exactly. I like Colin when he discusses games, as he has good insight into the industry, but shit like this sours me on the guy.

5 pages on a tweet by Colin? You guys should really open an "I hate Colin" thread for discussing all things Colin-Hate related and keep this thread for discussing the actual show the thread is named after.

Your post fails to acknowledge that his recent rant on the podcast goes hand in hand with his tweet and followed up tweet calling out people for being outraged and humorless.

I think people like him should not be a representative of this industry/hobby in any fashion going forward. Unfortunately, the people around him are protecting him by not speaking up or holding him accountable for his actions. If he can go off on his own and cultivate the fans that want this kind of behavior out of him that would be preferred. I'm more disappointed that people like him are welcome in organizations with influence in the industry when his exact attitude is a massive tangible problem affecting countless lives in the video game industry.

To me this joke which is not new or novel is an acknowledgement that sometimes, on occasion, some men are known to be much less vocal and forthcoming with small talk and idle conversation than some women they may interact with.

I think there have been entire sitcoms and stand up routines based around this premise of man/woman relationship disconnects.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/HenpeckedHusband

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/AwfulWeddedLife

I still think Colin was wrong (ha) to say it but it doesn't make him an awful woman hating sexist.

tuxfool

Banned
Do you know many conservatives who lived in SF for a decade and didn't become liberal-leaning over time?

Dude, there are conservatives everywhere. Just because people move to a city, doesn't mean that they change. Silicon Valley is utterly littered with his kind.

Your post fails to acknowledge that his recent rant on the podcast goes hand in hand with his tweet and followed up tweet calling out people being outraged and humorless.

I had to go back several pages to actually find a discussion of the last episode, which is suboptimal for people coming to this thread for reading or contributing to such discussions. There are several dozen pages of upset about Colin in this thread, and it prevents this thread from being effective for discussing the actual shows.

After I wrote that, I realized how it might come across. Do I want Colin to just go ahead and conform and do what everyone else is doing? Not at all, that's part of what makes him interesting. But what I really don't like is how he does something he knows will offend people and then gets upset when people get offended.

I had to go back several pages to actually find a discussion of the last episode, which is suboptimal for people coming to this thread for reading or contributing to such discussions. There are several dozen pages of upset about Colin in this thread, and it prevents this thread from being effective for discussing the actual shows.

We have been discussing a host on the show and how his tweets are another form of his outlandish antics that he performs on the podcast. If you would like to discuss another topic of the podcast feel free to do so. A thread can contain multiple discussions happening at once.

AmuroChan

Dude, there are conservatives everywhere. Just because people move to a city, doesn't mean that they change. Silicon Valley is utterly littered with his kind.

Maybe they're just hiding then. I lived in SF for 6 years and have never met someone who was openly conservative, socially or at work.

It's not the joke per-say, it's thinking international women's day is a good outlet for your tired-ass joke.

Should I tweet out a fried chicken joke (or any racially- based joke) with a black history month hashtag? No obviously not.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
It's not the joke per-say, it's thinking international women's day is a good outlet for your tired-ass joke.

Should I tweet out a fried chicken joke (or any racially- based joke) with a black history month hashtag? No obviously not.

Bingo.

Top Bottom