• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS, I Love You- Greg Miller's new PlayStation Podcast

Just so we're 100% clear, you, and you're now claiming others, genuinely believe that Colin is objectively a bad person?

Because that would kind of seal the deal on this whole extremist fringe bubble that NeoGAF has going on.

No. I'm saying people aren't "objectively" good or bad. You don't get to say a person is a good person "like it or not".

tuxfool

Banned
Just so we're 100% clear, you, and you're now claiming others, genuinely believe that Colin is objectively a bad person?

Because that would kind of seal the deal on this whole extremist fringe bubble that NeoGAF has going on.

You'd best run away, leave neogaf just so you don't catch cooties.

I won't sit here and say that Colin is an "objectively bad person," but some of you guys should read some of the things he said on the last couple of pages. It's problematic and incredibly naive at best.

tuxfool

Banned
No we operate in pure binaries and if you're not objectively a good person then we insist you are evil.

THE BUBBLE ENGULFS ANOTHER SOUL

Oh please, the only way to elevate our discourse is by using binary definitions. You know, like colon does.

There are two bubbles, see, SEE.

Boke1879

Trolling or not. Words and actions have consequences and Colin and KF are experiencing that right now. It was a shitty "joke" that wasn't funny and quite frankly Colin knows better.

It forced his partner to put out a PR statement. Others in the industry are calling him out for it and even other members of KF are ok with people railing against this whole thing.

If he GF wants to double down and defend him. That's her business. The one thing I haven't seen is Colin say anything or own up to it in any way. For all that Colin says he represents and stands for. He should be the last person to let anyone speak for him.

But his silence tells me all I need to know.

Bolivar687

Banned
No we operate in pure binaries and if you're not objectively a good person then we insist you are evil.

THE BUBBLE ENGULFS ANOTHER SOUL

I mean, he said "quite the opposite." It's literally right there in his post:

I'm sorry, maybe you don't realise this, but that makes it sound like you're saying that Colin is an objectively good person, where I can refer you back to the previous ten pages of this thread which would argue quite the opposite.

Bolivar687

Banned
The opposite of objective is subjective. Antonym if you prefer.

So when he said people are arguing quite the opposite of him being "an objectively good person," what he really meant to say is that they're arguing he's a "subjectively good person?"

I thought you guys were being disingenuous and nonsensical before but wow.

I mean, he said "quite the opposite." It's literally right there in his post:

Oh my god. I'm saying if something is "arguable", it's not definite, and by definition is not objective. What an argument. I'm sorry for all of this.

This show is actually really good aside from when Colin has go into stuff like I said in this thread on Tuesday, just to try to get back on topic. He's good otherwise. He's a good newsguy. He's got a good radio voice. He's kind of really horrible at twitter and his social views are messed up. There is more to a person than their worldview.

I don't know if he's a bad person and seeing as how none of you know him personally it's unlikely you know too.

What I do know is that the actions and words put forth by his public persona shows him to be an unempathetic person. His public persona also often shows support and praises people that many would consider bad people.

meanspartan

This show is actually really good aside from when Colin has go into stuff like I said in this thread on Tuesday, just to try to get back on topic. He's good otherwise. He's a good newsguy. He's got a good radio voice. He's kind of really horrible at twitter and his social views are messed up. There is more to a person than their worldview.

Yep. This.

I can wholeheartedly agree with this.

D i Z

Colin's GF is doubling down on the controversy.

It would be great if we could leave her out of this. But she insists on being in it as a focus, and he's doing nothing to check that, even when she goes at his own crew. One could look at the timeline and see when the escalation began.

How about we drop the is Colin good or bad, light or dark childish garbage? Use some grown up language for christ sake.
Dude has been going through several breakdowns, and has been looking for a place to belong. Outside of the gaming BS that he took too seriously for his health.
We should be talking about how to not let others slip down that trail while we're here.

The odd thing is that Greg kept trying to give Colin an out by repeatedly pointing out that the story really didn't pick up any steam. Colin was getting angrier and angrier at a story that few felt had solid ground to stand on.

Your worldview shapes how you interact with every single other human being on this planet. If your public facing words speak volumes about how you view a demographic in a less than positive light, maybe that makes you kind of a shitbag. Personality driven communities could do with better than those who take shots at large swathes of people.

But if you can separate all that to listen to him, that's your prerogative, but have the decency to acknowledge its more work on your end.

mrk8885

Banned
I'll never understand why people put so much time and energy into talking about / bashing Colin. You're perfectly entitled to your opinions of course. So how about just unfollow him or scroll past his comments if you dislike him so much.

If you don't like him, that's fine. Yet unlike others whose opinions and world views you may not like, people seem incapable of just moving on.

It's not rocket science is it? If you don't like someone's worldview, or how they speak to others, then just unfollow him and be done with it. Instead we have this thread analyzing every tweet or even liked teeet by other members of KF

I forget the exact context but I'm pretty sure the episode they did on the election post election Colin basically plays dumb about the accusations that Bannon is a white nationalist. Praises his business acumen and largely ignores and shoulder shrugs all the anti-semitic articles that Bannon allowed on his website.
Yup, this did happen. He kept going where is the proof of him saying he is this or that and Greg pointed out Bannon allowed that shit a platform and it didn't seem to get through to him. Felt like he had to go through some mental gymnastics to miss something fairlh simple.

Servbot24

Banned
I'll never understand why people put so much time and energy into talking about / bashing Colin. You're perfectly entitled to your opinions of course. So how about just unfollow him or scroll past his comments if you dislike him so much.

If you don't like him, that's fine. Yet unlike others whose opinions and world views you may not like, people seem incapable of just moving on.

It's not rocket science is it? If you don't like someone's worldview, or how they speak to others, then just unfollow him and be done with it. Instead we have this thread analyzing every tweet or even liked teeet by other members of KF

Unfortunately that's not how the world works. Problems get worse when you ignore them. Not that Colin the person is a problem, but his attitude and the worldview he is spreading certainly are.

karasu

This forum is about discussion, man. We talk about shit here. it is the entire point.

mrk8885

Banned
Unfortunately that's not how the world works. Problems get worse when you ignore them. Not that Colin the person is a problem, but his attitude and the worldview he is spreading certainly are.

But we're not talking about actual problems like curing cancer

The problem is just an Internet personality that some people don't like.

I appreciate you taking the time to read the posts you disagree with and to comment about how myself and others should just stop posting about it. I particularly appreciate you purposely ignoring your own advice to simply scroll on down. It isn't rocket science, thankfully, but it is worrying to see such a shitty reaction to criticism as displayed by Colin.

Maybe he is too busy catching up on Glenn Beck's previous shows before Monday to properly introspect on his actions.

I would agree with this if people in genetal were smart enough to not do dumb things. But they will, and you have to point out what is bad and what is good, or you risk other people doing those same dumb things. I've seen the argument that you have to hear both sides and let the truth stand on its own, but in reality you have to nip bad shit in the bud as quickly as possible.

mrk8885

Banned
This forum is about discussion, man. We talk about shit here. it is the entire point.

Well if that's how you wanna spend your time then that's your prerogative. Just seems a better solution would be to ignore the guy you find some off putting. But you do you.

Well if that's how you wanna spend your time then that's your prerogative. Just seems a better solution would be to ignore the guy you find some off putting. But you do you.

Thanks for honestly and truly caring about how I spend my time. Someone has to and hell it ain't gonna be me.

mrk8885

Banned
Wow. Sounds like something pretty big happened here.

Can I get a summation of recent events?

Colin made an unfunny but rather harmless joke about getting some "peace and quiet" on the day without women hashtag movement. Internet lost their minds at him for making the same kind of joke you might see any night on a prime time sitcom.

People are entitled to their opinions as long as they keep those opinions to themselves. Got it.

Colin made an unfunny but rather harmless joke about getting some "peace and quiet" on the day without women hashtag movement. Internet lost their minds at him for making the same kind of joke you might see any night on a prime time sitcom.

What a cool and even handed take on the events.

Zackat

this isn't the better solution. you don't ignore problems. that's how you get into messes.

I hope you don't call out things you don't like, because I'm sure you follow your own advice pefectly.

Ah, so Colin being his smug self. Got it.

But we're not talking about actual problems like curing cancer

The problem is just an Internet personality that some people don't like.

Is this the kind of forum where problems like curing cancer are often discussed?

Or is this a forum where gaming and people in the gaming industry are discussed?

Jebusman

Banned

But probably not the night that is part of international women's day.

And then the sitcom would likely spend time making the person who made the joke look like the asshole in that situation.

Because they would be.

Whinging about how others spend their time seems even more frivolous as far as I'm concerned.

Boke1879

You're right. A much more civil and acceptable response would be days and days of debate over a joke tweet.

This is a discussion forum. And that "joke" tweet apparently didn't go over well with members of his own crew and certainly didn't go well with people in the industry. It forced his partner to make a PR statement while Colin has been totally silent.

Top Bottom