• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS, I Love You- Greg Miller's new PlayStation Podcast

Kasei

Irrespective of what you think of Colin's tweet, the divergent reactions between the KF group has stoked the flames of something that was inherently manageable, but is now best described as a shitshow.

This is not how you do business gentlemen, it's frankly amateurish and petty behaviour all told. Tim espousing a pithy 'Not in my backyard!' comment is a divisive rejection of 'bad fans', by association equated as being 'Colin's base'. Unnecessary and inflammatory. Don't split your base any further. You need to send a coherent message as a team. It's clear in Greg's apology how the public-facing side of the brand should behave itself, the group should subscribe to that or they need to adjust the expectations of their community.

Colin's behaviour is also inflammatory. No public interaction with the rest of the KF team has given room for the community to drive the division between the audience and the co-founders further. The Moultrie flag? Give me a break. This was more hyperbolic than any of the criticism levied against him. He is not an ideological martyr, this is not a hill to die on. Ignoring the apology, doubling down on the joke and posting pictures of family is a statement, clearly signalling that you are aggrieved.

Greg being seen at PAX and attempting to show that everything is 'business as normal' in the face of the above, when there are signals pointing to the opposite? No wonder people are riled up. They've all handled this incredibly poorly as a group.

I don't anticipate this will blow over until at least Colin and Greg are seen to be sat together on camera talking, be it on PSILY or elsewhere.

Did Brian say something on a podcast? I checked his twitter and the only thing I saw him tweet about things was basically "LOL Greg's loud".

He's getting attacked for that?
Thats all I have seen. The irony of them yelling about people getting outraged over Colins tweet is priceless.

Icolin

Banned
Irrespective of what you think of Colin's tweet, the divergent reactions between the KF group has stoked the flames of something that was inherently manageable, but is now best described as a shitshow.

This is not how you do business gentlemen, it's frankly amateurish and petty behaviour all told. Tim espousing a pithy 'Not in my backyard!' comment is a divisive rejection of 'bad fans', by association equated as being 'Colin's base'. Unnecessary and inflammatory. Don't split your base any further. You need to send a coherent message as a team. It's clear in Greg's apology how the public-facing side of the brand should behave itself, the group should subscribe to that or they need to adjust the expectations of their community.

Colin's behaviour is also inflammatory. No public interaction with the rest of the KF team has given room for the community to drive the division between the audience and the co-founders further. The Moultrie flag? Give me a break. This was more hyperbolic than any of the criticism levied against him. He is not an ideological martyr, this is not a hill to die on. Ignoring the apology, doubling down on the joke and posting pictures of family is a statement, clearly signalling that you are aggrieved.

Greg being seen at PAX and showing that everything 'business as normal' in the face of the above, when there are signals pointing to the opposite? No wonder people are riled up. They've all handled this incredibly poorly as a group.

I don't anticipate this will blow over until at least Colin and Greg are seen to be sat together on camera talking, be it on PSILY or elsewhere.
Very well said. Hopefully the Morning Show on Monday will clear this all up.

pelican

You have to think that CM needs KF more than KF need him.

It has never appeared, to me at least, that at any point has Gregg needed Colin to build rapport with his audience or deliver content.

Calderc

It has never appeared, to me at least, that at any point has Gregg needed Colin to build rapport with his audience or deliver content.

KF would be fine (and much better imo) if Colin were to leave, but he would carve out a nice little niche for himself amongst the Steven Crowders, Gavin McInnes' and Glen Becks of the world. There's plenty of alt-right shitheads to go around, and Colin would fully embrace that as a one man band.

Colin made a joke some people thought was tasteless, varying degrees of head shaking, shaming, shock and disappointment ensue, not the crux of the problem

Colin called them humorless sacks of shits for getting upset at said debatable tasteless joke (when shit hits the fan)

People started to pull funding from Kinda Funny

Greg released an apology on behalf of kinda funny/Colin(?) and said Colin will not be attending PAX East.

People perceived that is Greg throwing Colin under the bus.

A wild Glenn Beck appeared

In fighting amongst the fans....For days.

That pretty much sums it up.

A wild Glenn beck?

Whut?

KF would be fine (and much better imo) if Colin were to leave, but he would carve out a nice little niche for himself amongst the Steven Crowders, Gavin McInnes' and Glen Becks of the world. There's plenty of alt-right shitheads to go around, and Colin would fully embrace that as a one man band.

Ehh that would suck. The KF podcasts are the only gaming related ones where the hosts actually argue about stuff. Used to listen to hundreds of hours of gaming podcasts but stopped because they all say the same thing and are afraid to disagree with each other.

jwhit28

As an outsider only familiar with KF though other sites like Giantbomb, there seems to be audience for Colin if he just left and became "The right-wing gamer" or something like that. Maybe even spin a channel off under the KF banner.

decisions

I think Colin produced the best pieces at IGN. History of Naughty Dog is so awesome. His Catherine review conveys why that game is great in a respectably concise manner. I think he brings up the most interesting topics on the GOG show. I think him and Greg are much better podcasters than Nick and Tim. I think that his new Conversation with Colin Was Right endeavor produced some of the best content in the history of KF. His Jimquisition-esque show gets discussion every week on even this website, which is inclined to dislike him for obvious reasons.

To someone like me, KF needs Colin quite a bit.

Also lol at "a wild Glenn Beck". Totally sums it up.

heringer

I'm not a big fan of the channel, but every time I see Colin with the others he looks completely bored and uninterested. At first I thought it was just the way he is, but in other videos he seems to be way more engaged. He strikes me as a person who loves the business and social aspects of gaming way more than the games itself.

Jonboy

I'll bet someone has already posted this, but I can't help but wonder if the tweet combined with Colin's appearance on the Rubin Report and the Glenn Beck tweet are all part of an exit plan for Colin to leave KF and become more of a political pundit out on his own.

And literally as I'm typing this, he tweets that he's accepted an invite to be on Beck's radio show Monday.

I'll bet someone has already posted this, but I can't help but wonder if the tweet combined with Colin's appearance on the Rubin Report and the Glenn Beck tweet are all part of an exit plan for Colin to leave KF and become more of a political pundit out on his own.

Doesn't Brietbart need a new tech writer?

Calderc

I think Colin produced the best pieces at IGN. History of Naughty Dog is so awesome. His Catherine review conveys why that game is great in a respectably concise manner. I think he brings up the most interesting topics on the GOG show. I think him and Greg are much better podcasters than Nick and Tim. I think that his new Conversation with Colin Was Right endeavor produced some of the best content in the history of KF. His Jimquisition-esque show gets discussion every week on even this website, which is inclined to dislike him for obvious reasons.

To someone like me, KF needs Colin quite a bit.

Also lol at "a wild Glenn Beck". Totally sums it up.

I would agree that he has the most interesting GOG topics, but besides that he doesn't do those things you mentioned any more. There are no long form pieces and his reviews amount to 'I played for half an hour, didn't grab me' for the most part, so to me not much would be lost. Colin Was Right is just a meh from me, holds my attention far less than something like The Jimquistion.

I could just do without someone out of the 4 being the anthropomorphic equivalent of a gray, drizzly day. Does nothing but shit on anything fun that you wanna do for no reason other than being a contrarian.

And literally as I'm typing this, he tweets that he's accepted an invite to be on Beck's radio show Monday.
And they record psiloveyou on Tuesdays? Sheesh

Demoskinos

He's said numerous times that politics rank higher on his interest list than games do so....would not be surprised at all.

Zukkoyaki

If he were to ever leave Kinda Funny he could easily launch his own YouTube channel that's basically nothing but Colin Was Right videos about games, politics, whatever and be widely successful. It's more obvious than ever that he has a sizeable following of deplorables that worship everything he does and says and would follow him anywhere.

D i Z

Of course he did. People are going to have to realize that gaming is not the sum of what the world has to offer. It's infinitesimal, and nothing to build a life around if you don't like its limits. Colin has been looking for a way out for a while now.

XandBosch

Oh man, so many of the responses on that tweet....

Is that the community I've been a part of for a couple years now? I can't imagine the rest of the KF guys like seeing those, especially that picture that's going around with the KF logo and duct tape.

Man oh man.

Oh man, so many of the responses on that tweet....

Is that the community I've been a part of for a couple years now? I can't imagine the rest of the KF guys like seeing those, especially that picture that's going around with the KF logo and duct tape.

Man oh man.

Can you share that image or a tweet using it? I haven't seen that

tuxfool

Banned

Political pundit. Sure, a know-nothing is par for the course these days.

Some Nobody

The man who just had a week-long series of interviews and constantly talks about being open to discussion (even said he'd reach out to the writer of that Horizon article) said yes to an interview for more discussion? Surprise.

I haven't really looked in on Beck. Last time I saw him he was apologizing for being one of a dozen+ pundits to turn America's belief in the news to shit.
Not to say I believe he's any less of an ass, but who knows?

tuxfool

Banned
I haven't really looked in on Beck. Last time I saw him he was apologizing for being one of a dozen+ pundits to turn America's belief in the news to shit.

Beck remains a crazed dumb fuck and only looks better because the monster he helped create has sunken lower into the pit of crazy and he wasn't willing to follow them.

jacobeid

Banned
I can't even imagine what is like behind the scenes right now. With Colin going on the Beck show it really does feel like he's trying to leave. If he does I hope all of the alt-right shitheads he's attracting leave too. Greg, Tim, Nick, and Kevin deserve better than letting Colin ruin their community.

Just look at the comments. Nobody I would want to call a best friend.

The best part is that he's silent and letting his fucking mom defend him. Man baby indeed.

Harlock

gytqVlh.jpg

kevin1025

Banned
Something I think should be mentioned: Greg and Tim are being attacked for not backing the dumb joke, and I don't see Colin telling anyone to give it a rest. He's letting it happen. I know they're his fans, but it shows what he thinks of his coworkers a little bit.

XandBosch

Something I think should be mentioned: Greg and Tim are being attacked for not backing the dumb joke, and I don't see Colin telling anyone to give it a rest. He's letting it happen. I know they're his fans, but it shows what he thinks of his coworkers a little bit.

True.

That being said, they're all pretty much being super quiet, apart from the odd tweet here or there. I have to imagine there was a "Let's just deal with this when we get back from PAX" type conversation that happened. I can't see Colin apologizing for his actions or even regretting them (he hasn't deleted the tweet, so that's saying something), and I'm sure that's causing friction.

Super curious to see how this all plays out. Will there be a GOG topic and that's it? Or is this the beginning of the end? I wouldn't be surprised based on the dynamics of the crew over the past few months.

jacobeid

Banned

Exactly. You'd think he'd tell those people to knock it off unless he was thinking about leaving.

Bacon

Yup, I said yesterday that it really tells me everything I need to know about the guy. He's loving his supporters stroking his big ego right now or else he would have told them to knock it off right away. That shit is just unacceptable when there are people who are attacking coworkers and friends because of you.

We have no idea what happened in that house before they left for PAX, they could have had a big blow out fight and Colin is just like "fuck it". I see no other reason for not saying something besides the obvious, people won't care about a reply.

A 10 minute "Colin was wrong" would do wonders probably.

I think it's time for Colin to bow out of the gaming space and just go play in the conservative talk radio echo chamber where no bad people can tell him he is wrong.

XandBosch

i miss the colin from a year or so ago...ever since trump became president it became much much worse

I miss the Colin from Beyond. Yeah he was still grumpy, but it was funny and he was also really enthusiastic, energetic, and talkative. Now the grumpiness seems real, he seems apathetic towards his work (apart from the content he himself is putting out), and he's always "tired" or seems bored. He seems to get off less on talking about how awesome a game is (which seems to be becoming more uncommon) and how shitty one is.

Feorax

Can anyone really see a way back from this? I'll be stunned if they're able to just bring Colin back into the fold and go on as if nothing happened.

Five

Banned
I think it's time for Colin to bow out of the gaming space and just go play in the conservative talk radio echo chamber where no bad people can tell him he is wrong.

:(

I would rather he try to be the better person he says he wants to be (open to discussion and debate). I think even him being wrong all the time is educational to others because it often helps people to articulate their positions when they have to explain why he's wrong.

PieBlaCon

Neo Member
If he worked at IGN, I can't help but think they would have cut ties with him over this.

As for how the guys should address it, they have to say something about it at the panel, but I imagine they'll briefly say "what happened Wednesday has no bearing on this panel. This isn't the medium to discuss it. We respectfully ask that you don't ask us about it as we will address it on our own terms."

Panel happens, people feel good, "positive vibes" all around. Continue to step around the issue until Monday. Colin's GB appearance doesn't conflict with the usual KFMS time, so I imagine the best way to get in front of this is to let him have his piece on the radio show (hopefully it goes smoothly), and the four of them appear on the show to let everyone know where it stands.

What happens? Colin completely backs out of GOG, KFMS, and GC (making rare appearances). Continues PSXOXO and CWR.

Greg will say this year is about community and how they don't want to leave us in the dark, and whatever. Tim will apologize to Colin (not that he should) and Nick will make the most sexist joke he can possibly think of before Kevin screams: "OH GOD, NICK!!"

80% confident in this prediction.

How long before Colin has his own channel on theblaze.com? He could be Beck's right wing video games correspondent. Seriously it would probably be pretty successful and he could take his army of trolls away from KF.

Well, at least his appearance on Glenn Beck will surely make a positive impression on the thoughts that the general public already has of gamers/game enthusiasts.

*shudder*

Jerm411

I miss the Colin from Beyond. Yeah he was still grumpy, but it was funny and he was also really enthusiastic, energetic, and talkative. Now the grumpiness seems real, he seems apathetic towards his work (apart from the content he himself is putting out), and he's always "tired" or seems bored. He seems to get off less on talking about how awesome a game is (which seems to be becoming more uncommon) and how shitty one is.

I've always thought them leaving IGN was the worst thing...they were somewhat reined in there and seemed to be a lot more focused and honed in.

XandBosch

I've always thought them leaving IGN was the worst thing...they were somewhat reined in there and seemed to be a lot more focused and honed in.

I agree in a way, I mean them being a little more spread out is bound to happen when they're trying to be the company they are, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't miss their content on IGN. I was immensely disappointed when they left.

Spidy

Neo Member
I would miss Colin from KF, I enjoy his personality for the most part, but I think maybe it is time for him to go. KF doesn't really need him and he doesn't really need KF. He loves politics and perhaps it's time for him to create a new platform to spread his political agenda.

My only concern in this scenario is KF losing a lot of patreon support and the company collapsing, but who knows if that many people would actually cancel their support of them.

Top Bottom