• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS, I Love You- Greg Miller's new PlayStation Podcast

I enjoyed listening to Colin about the Neo, both times, I don't consider him frustrating at all.

Where did anyone say it was frustrating or that they didn't enjoy Colin? Just a bunch of comments saying that this is the same set of arguments presented last time.

Where did anyone say it was frustrating or that they didn't enjoy Colin? Just a bunch of comments saying that this is the same set of arguments presented last time.

Just from my light skimming I saw a couple comments basically saying "I had to turn it off. Can't take Colin screaming into my ear for 25 minutes"

etta

my hard graphic balls
Wait, so you decided to bring conversation from another thread to this one? Not a dick move at all. /s

People are talking about Colin's rant in here as well? In fact, if you look right above my original post, you can see people talking about it.
What's the problem?

jayu26

The question...
The post above yours.

Always enjoy a good Colin rant.

Yes, the Neo talk is getting a bit long in the tooth after so much time without official information, but I understand they have to have the discussion everywhere on their platform.... It's the biggest story of the year so far.

The question...

The post above yours.

You're overreacting. It's not a big deal. Just a casual comment to make considering all the talk that has been going on around this.

Anyway, jennetics was the first one who brought it up "am I the only one who enjoyed Colin's ranting?" (not that I think it's an issue or anyone should be mad at him, just pointing it out)

BruceCLea

Banned
Does Colin block everyone on Twitter? I can't follow him and I've never tweeted ANYTHING at him.

What's his deal? His rants are getting old.

This new PS NEO segment on the KindaFunny Gamescast was not only Colin being more nuanced, but more coherent, less "ranty" and he articulated his point very well, more so than he did originally on PS I Love You.

Tim just didn't get it, he didn't get it at all. I'm sorry Tim but comparing PS4/PS NEO with Xbox 360/X360E is simply not the same thing.

The point Colin was trying to drive home -clearly he didn't with Tim, although no fault of his own, Tim straight up came across as thick-headed here- was that although yes the X360 elite had an hdmi port, and built in wifi, a bigger hard drive etc the games ran the same on either machine.

It isn't the exact case with PS4/PS NEO in which presumably a game may run at 1080p/60fps on NEO and maybe 1080p/30fps on PS4. The addition of a better CPU/GPU on PS NEO will profoundly change the experience.

Sorry Tim it's not the same. Even on IGN's Podcast Unlocked in which they speak about a potential Xbox One.Five they bring this argument up.

Alanah Pearce mentions to Finnegan how the X360E was "better" I'm watching the TV and I'm like omg no it's fucking not.

Lots of ignorance and confusion among some of the games press.

I for one disagree with Colin and am all for a PS NEO and will be getting it day one -this from someone who got a PS4 in February of 2014- but he does make some good points, salient points if you will as Colin would say.

Other good points that our boy Colin M.brought up was how PS NEO owners may get shafted since the majority of folks who own a PS4 will be PS4 base owners; PS NEO owners may get the shaft at the beginning -although I doubt Sony will doubt this to happen.

This is a very interesting time for the gaming industry and those interested and enthusiast of the industry. PS NEO, Nintendo NX and w.e. MS has to be cooking.

What a time to be alive.

The only Colin rants I don't enjoy is when he goes full "Millenials suck, SJWs and safe spaces wah!' Even those arguments I agree with him to a point. Three years ago, I scoffed at the idea of privilege and institutionalized racism and microaggressions, but I do feel like I've seen examples of these things all over the place on a near-daily basis and it's too dismissive to lump those ideas in with more outlandish stuff like trigger warnings before history classes. He also doesn't seem to understand that the Republican party doesn't have a bad rep solely because of media portrayal, it's because it's been hijacked by religious nutsos who have backwards takes on all major social issues, or that the anti-SJW movement is just as much of an echo chamber as the SJW movement itself (though I imagine he's smart enough that he has a grasp on these things, it just didn't come across in the political discussions I've heard on the show so far). I just listened to the Gamecast where they talk about political correctness and Colin talking about how people come up to him and say "Hey, thanks for repping my beliefs" or whatever was just insanely eyeroll-inducing. I will agree with him that taxes are total bullshit though.

And he is 100% right about the Neo, especially if it's priced at $399. When people buy a new console, they expect to be up-to-date with the current generation for 4-5 years. That's the difference between this and a phone upgrade. When you buy a new phone, you know it's going to be at least partially obsolete within a year. Not to mention the extra stress this is gonna put on the developers, who seem to already be having a tough time as it is based on the number of games that come out completely broken.

The only Colin rants I don't enjoy is when he goes full "Millenials suck, SJWs and safe spaces wah!' Even those arguments I agree with him to a point. Three years ago, I scoffed at the idea of privilege and institutionalized racism and microaggressions, but I do feel like I've seen examples of these things all over the place on a near-daily basis and it's too dismissive to lump those ideas in with more outlandish stuff like trigger warnings before history classes. He also doesn't seem to understand that the Republican party doesn't have a bad rep solely because of media portrayal, it's because it's been hijacked by religious nutsos who have backwards takes on all major social issues, or that the anti-SJW movement is just as much of an echo chamber as the SJW movement itself (though I imagine he's smart enough that he has a grasp on these things, it just didn't come across in the political discussions I've heard on the show so far). I just listened to the Gamecast where they talk about political correctness and Colin talking about how people come up to him and say "Hey, thanks for repping my beliefs" or whatever was just insanely eyeroll-inducing. I will agree with him that taxes are total bullshit though.

And he is 100% right about the Neo, especially if it's priced at $399. When people buy a new console, they expect to be up-to-date with the current generation for 4-5 years. That's the difference between this and a phone upgrade. When you buy a new phone, you know it's going to be at least partially obsolete within a year. Not to mention the extra stress this is gonna put on the developers, who seem to already be having a tough time as it is based on the number of games that come out completely broken.

Well, to be fair, he was talking about secretly conservative San Francisco based game developers who feel it would be destructive for them to talk publicly about their leanings. They appreciate that Colin is willing to say what they feel they cannot.

Even on IGN's Podcast Unlocked in which they speak about a potential Xbox One.Five they bring this argument up.

Alanah Pearce mentions to Finnegan how the X360E was "better" I'm watching the TV and I'm like omg no it's fucking not.

Having not seen the episode, was she saying game performance was improved? If so, yeah, that's ridiculous. However, if she was saying the image was crisper and higher resolution, that's not a ridiculous statement. HDMI is better looking than component (though not as big a jump as composite to HDMI is). So, that was a pretty big upgrade for people. Just not on the level of what's happening with PS4 Neo. The games on 360 Elite still technically performed the same. I still don't get why they didn't have HDMI on day one.

LiK

Okay, but how is this different from anything mandatory that some users may want but costs devs extra time and testing?

For example, Colin loves trophies. Devs HAVE to spend time implementing and testing them. They don't have a choice. I'm sure some devs would love to not have to do trophies. Not every gamer even cares.

sure, look at Campo Santo.

Wagram

This "current generation" has been out of date since before the PS4 released.

DKHF

In response to Colin asking what Sony will do this fall without Horizon: they will once again rely on third party marketing partnerships (this time with CoD Infinite Warfare, Battlefield 5 and FFXV). They don't need to have a big first party game come out when it's not in its best shape and thus can delay them. I'm not against delays personally but I think Sony should be a lot more conservative in giving release years/windows. Almost every first party game has been delayed this generation. I highly doubt Dead Don't Ride will come out this year. The game only went into full production in January 2015. I wouldn't be surprised if Sony give it a 2017 release year at this E3 and it's then pushed to 2018.

sam777

No. I don't mind it. Some of the points he was saying seemed missed by Tim and Greg. The main missed point being this is very different than last generation's slim models. The performance of games were unchanged in those (and in some cases, worsened- i.e. PS2 BC being dropped from PS3). The improvements to those consoles were hardware (i.e. the added HDMI in 360 etc, the size, power consumption, etc.) that did not affect the games (the graphics and framerate stayed the same). I'm excited that this will exist, yet doubt I will get it. I'll hold out for PS5/XB(2?)

Yeah it was kind of annoying how Tim did not understand this in the Gamescast.

In response to Colin asking what Sony will do this fall without Horizon: they will once again rely on third party marketing partnerships (this time with CoD Infinite Warfare, Battlefield 5 and FFXV). They don't need to have a big first party game come out when it's not in its best shape and thus can delay them. I'm not against delays personally but I think Sony should be a lot more conservative in giving release years/windows. Almost every first party game has been delayed this generation. I highly doubt Dead Don't Ride will come out this year. The game only went into full production in January 2015. I wouldn't be surprised if Sony give it a 2017 release year at this E3 and it's then pushed to 2018.

Agreed.

But as a PS3 only owner last gen it's weird to see Sony pushing the big 3rd party games especially when 3rd parties weren't as a nice to the PS3 -especially in the beginning- in relation to X360 last gen.

Last gen PS3 owners were spoiled silly with all the 1st party offerings and the frequency in which they were released. This gen is sorely lacking with Sony 1st party stuff.

Curufinwe

Cool, you agree with his most idiotic position.

Well obviously taxes are vital to our economy and structure of government, but I mostly agree with him on a less-disciplined "less money for me = bad" level.

And he doesn't want all taxes removed (in fact, he's said he feels many taxes are very essential). He feels some taxes go too far. He wants there to be a VAT instead, which is a consumption tax in Europe. Any Europeans here that have thoughts on VATs?

And he doesn't want all taxes removed (in fact, he's said he feels many taxes are very essential). He feels some taxes go too far. He wants there to be a VAT instead, which is a consumption tax in Europe. Any Europeans here that have thoughts on VATs?
We have VAT and income tax in the UK so it is a double effect. I don't have a great issue with it but that's a very long conversation to have.

On the subject of the podcast I've really enjoyed the last couple.. It really is great to have a beyond replacement after all this time. I know it has been going for a while, but not having it sucked

Agreed.

But as a PS3 only owner last gen it's weird to see Sony pushing the big 3rd party games especially when 3rd parties weren't as a nice to the PS3 -especially in the beginning- in relation to X360 last gen.

Last gen PS3 owners were spoiled silly with all the 1st party offerings and the frequency in which they were released. This gen is sorely lacking with Sony 1st party stuff.
I remember rather vividly the "no games" talk for PS3 at the beginning of the generation. I definitely wouldn't say 1st party games were frequently rolling in until a certain point.

I remember rather vividly the "no games" talk for PS3 at the beginning of the generation. I definitely wouldn't say 1st party games were frequently rolling in until a certain point.

Late Summer/Fall 2007 (August to November) saw a nice stream of 1st party games come out (some good, some not) such as Warhawk, Uncharted: Drake's Fortune, Ratchet and Clank Future: Tools of Destruction, Heavenly Sword, Eye of Judgment, Folklore, and Lair (easily the worst of these games). MotorStorm, originally meant to be a launch game in 2006, launched in early 2007.

Late Summer/Fall 2007 (August to November) saw a nice stream of 1st party games came out (some good, some not) such as Warhawk, Uncharted: Drake's Fortune, Ratchet and Clank Future: Tools of Destruction, Heavenly Sword, Eye of Judgment, Folklore, and Lair (easily the worst of these games). MotorStorm, originally meant to be a launch game in 2006, launched in early 2007.

And that lineup was precisely why the 'PS3 has no game' meme came from. Uncharted was deemed to be inferior TPS to Gears that came out a year earlier and today most people feel it has aged poorly and the worst game out of the trilogy. Uncharted also got lost in the shuffle later that year along with Ratchet & Clank to bigger exclusives such as Halo 3, Mario Galaxy, Mass Effect (timed), and big third party titles like GTA IV. Heavenly Sword and Lair was deemed as mediocre and it would only get worse with Haze debuting in the following year with a lot of hype and disappointment.

There is so much revisionist history regarding the PS3 exclusive lineup in the first three years. The system also received less optimal third party games than it's competition despite being more expensive. PS3 really turned it around with it's first party lineup after 2009. Along with the slim model it was also was able to get parity pricing with MS and the third party performance gap began to close.

Late Summer/Fall 2007 (August to November) saw a nice stream of 1st party games come out (some good, some not) such as Warhawk, Uncharted: Drake's Fortune, Ratchet and Clank Future: Tools of Destruction, Heavenly Sword, Eye of Judgment, Folklore, and Lair (easily the worst of these games). MotorStorm, originally meant to be a launch game in 2006, launched in early 2007.

A solid 9/10!

kyser73

Any form of VAT/sales tax is regressive insofar as those on lower incomes end up paying a higher % of income in taxation compared to the well off.

Progressive taxation is really simple - you tax the poorest the least and the wealthiest the most.

Agreed.

Demonstrably untrue. There's been at least one console exclusive or PS4 exclusive each month so far this year alone - unless of course you're going down the 'Only AAA retail titles count.' road.

Good episode, the guys seemed very enthusiastic about Severed. Gonna pick it up as soon as things in my life settle down a bit, kind of been really busy with work and stuff for the past week and a half since school ended. I did enjoy what I hear though, and although kind of short, the experience seems solid enough to warrant me spending the money it costs. Plus, Vita exclusive.

krae_man

I would love it if the US got a 20% VAT. It would stop UK people from complaining about game pricing without removing the VAT before they complain.

I only played the demo, but just from that demo, I could tell that game has one of the best implementations of the Sixasis controls. It didn't feel awkward, it didn't feel forced. It also did not dominate the game. It augmented it.

That was a joke. I keep forgetting that a lot of people got into that boys after Kinda Funny launched. Any longtime Beyond listeners might remember when Ryan Clements reviewed Folklore. You should go back and listen to the old episodes!

Lots of ignorance and confusion among some of the games press.

Tell me about it. One of the IGN podcasts last week (gamescoop maybe?) actively discussed the possibility of the psvr breakout box containing NEO hardware and the possibility that ps4 + VR breakout = NEO. *sigh*

On another note, as someone who suffers from occasionally crippling social anxiety, I empathize with Colin. I don't think I'd be able to meet hundreds of people and be expected to be affable and have an inviting conversation with them. I can totally relate

That was a joke. I keep forgetting that a lot of people got into that boys after Kinda Funny launched. Any longtime Beyond listeners might remember when Ryan Clements reviewed Folklore. You should go back and listen to the old episodes!

I figured it was a joke. And I know Clements reviewed it. However, I still stand by what I said. I liked how they implemented the Sixaxis stuff. It felt like it was done well. But that was just based on a short demo.

Rarijack

Banned
Is there a podcast app I can listen to this on my phone? I want to start listening to gaming podcasts on my phone and am curious what would be the best app(s) for it? I have an Android.

jwk94

Is there a podcast app I can listen to this on my phone? I want to start listening to gaming podcasts on my phone and am curious what would be the best app(s) for it? I have an Android.

From he Google Play Music app search "KindaFunny" and you'll have all their Podcasts. You can subscribe to each one.

I believe they put it on SoundCloud. Is there a SoundCloud Android app?

EDIT: jwk94's solution sounds easier.

Thanks guys! Are there any other gaming podcasts you would recommend?

Some others are Kinda Funny's Gamescast (The GameOverGreggy Show is fun, but rarely has video game stuff), Giant Bomb's Giant Bombcast and Giant Beastcast, Easy Allies (the new venture from the former GameTrailers guys) has Easy Allies Podcast, PlayStation Blog has the PlayStation Blogcast (which features former Podcast Beyond alum, Ryan Clements), and IGN of course has Podcast Beyond (among many other video game podcasts). There's more out there.

Aww man, what I would give to have Ryan on this podcast as a regular. Him, Colin, Greg, and then later with Goldie were the golden years of Beyond imo. This is a good podcast, but it lacks the energy that some of those episodes had.

ST2K

Aww man, what I would give to have Ryan on this podcast as a regular. Him, Colin, Greg, and then later with Goldie were the golden years of Beyond imo. This is a good podcast, but it lacks the energy that some of those episodes had.

Having old Beyonders back should be a priority for them. Dunham being on Gamescast was awesome, and I"d love to see them do that with PSILY. Though I'm fairly certain Goldfarb and Clements can't due to corporate shenanigans, they should pursue the others if they can.

Lexad

Easy Allies has the EasyAllies Podcast and Frame Trap.

EZAP is similar to psilu in that it is mostly news focused with some user mail (usually 1-1.25 hours).

Frame Trap is their version of giant bombcast as it is more free form and longer discussions

zkorejo

I agree with all the points Collin made.

I also understand what Greg and Tim are saying (Esp. Greg in the end of the podcast). The points Collin made are pretty great. He said everything that I had been thinking about this. Time will tell but this whole thing smells like it has alot more chance of not working/selling as good as they are expecting it to IMO.

Like Collin said, it is going to be interesting how they actually market this new console without making PS4 look like shit at E3. Because if they go with "screw ps4 players we already have their money, lets make PS4k look strong" route then it will hurt their goodwill and will prove to be a problem in the long run. The best they can do is, target VR and sell this console upgrade as a "alternative upgrade to have a better VR experience" and avoid game comparisons between 4 and 4k as much as they can.

E3 is going to be fun to watch.

Top Bottom