• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS, I Love You- Greg Miller's new PlayStation Podcast

they tend to overlap content, and as someone who primarily only listens to PS i love you, i'd be shocked if they didn't spend 10 minutes talking about uncharted come tuesday

Kinda hard to decipher. They seemed to thing it was long and bloated while still liking the game.

While having played it in 7-8 hour sessions. Newsflash guys, that's not a good idea.

And it frustrates me a little when AAA games lately get knocked for being too short and then Uncharted 4 comes out and all three of them say it's too long. I know there is something to be said about tight experiences, but as a developer it must make them want to throw their hands up in the air.

That fact that some think it's "too long" excites me. This is the last Uncharted game, I want it to progress slowly so I can savor every minute.

AmuroChan

Maybe since it'll air on the day the game drops. It would make sense, but at the same time I don't think they'd want to talk about the game AGAIN since they'll be doing that in the impressions video that they are posting tomorrow... Maybe not this upcoming week, but either the next or even the week after to give people time to play through the campaign.

They're doing a separate spoilercast that goes up Monday 5/9. UC4 will also be a topic on Gamescast 2 weeks from now.

Kinda hard to decipher. They seemed to thing it was long and bloated while still liking the game.

Well, on Twitter Marty said he felt the game had terrible pacing, whereas during their spoiler-free review, Colin said he felt it had some of the past pacing. It's all opinions. No one's right. No one's wrong. Although, I don't agree with the way Dan Stapleton (IGN's reviews editor) worded this tweet in regards to IGN's review (which was a very good 8.8):
hbSKTg1.png

If you recall, he's the same person that wrote a scathing counter-review of Bloodborne before IGN's reviewer of the game had posted his. The concept of his tweet is fine, but it feels almost like an insinuation that the higher scores are not being honest, which I think it not a good look. I think it's a problem that people are bashing Lucy for what is a typically incredible score, but I'm not sure Dan's tweet helps.

AmuroChan

If you recall, he's the same person that wrote a scathing counter-review of Bloodborne before IGN's reviewer of the game had posted his. The concept of his tweet is fine, but it feels almost like an insinuation that the higher scores are not being honest, which I think it not a good look.

Certainly not. I get that he wants to protect his own reviewer, but you can do so without implying that other outlets giving the game a higher score are being dishonest.

Well, on Twitter Marty said he felt the game had terrible pacing, whereas during their spoiler-free review, Colin said he felt it had some of the past pacing. It's all opinions. No one's right. No one's wrong. Although, I don't agree with the way Dan Stapleton (IGN's reviews editor) worded this tweet in regards to IGN's review (which was a very good 8.8):
hbSKTg1.png

If you recall, he's the same person that wrote a scathing counter-review of Bloodborne before IGN's reviewer of the game had posted his. The concept of his tweet is fine, but it feels almost like an insinuation that the higher scores are not being honest, which I think it not a good look. I think it's a problem that people are bashing Lucy for what is a typically incredible score, but I'm not sure Dan's tweet helps.

totally agree. it's definitely disrespectful to imply that anyone giving the game a 5/5 or a 10/10 is not being honest

Yo on the newest episode of the show Colin mentions he's playing a game on Vita that he seems to be enjoying quite a bit, but he can't say what it even is. He later, in the same podcast, says it's also on PS4. Any guesses? My best guess would be Odin Sphere. Game looks sweet, and like something Colin would enjoy. And, in terms of release window and crossplay, would line up accordingly

Suzzopher

Yo on the newest episode of the show Colin mentions he's playing a game on Vita that he seems to be enjoying quite a bit, but he can't say what it even is. He later, in the same podcast, says it's also on PS4. Any guesses? My best guess would be Odin Sphere. Game looks sweet, and like something Colin would enjoy. And, in terms of release window and crossplay, would line up accordingly

Grand Kingdom maybe? He loves tactical rpgs.

While having played it in 7-8 hour sessions. Newsflash guys, that's not a good idea.

And it frustrates me a little when AAA games lately get knocked for being too short and then Uncharted 4 comes out and all three of them say it's too long. I know there is something to be said about tight experiences, but as a developer it must make them want to throw their hands up in the air.

Well, that's two difference audiences - I still listen to Beyond and all of the people on there have been consistent in not wanting long bloated linear experiences. It's the Reddit/Twitter crowd that still gets pissed if every AAA game isn't 20 hours long.

Zukkoyaki

hbSKTg1.png

Stapleton is someone I used to follow on Twitter and he's definitely one of those guys who comes off as "I'm right and you're wrong" pretty much 24/7. I remember a Dark Souls rant from him basically saying everyone who likes these games is an idiot and supports bad game design.

I'm sure he's a good dude, but he comes off as a huge dick when trying to get others to stop acting like dicks. Kind of counterintuitive.

Edit: There's nothing wrong with Lucy's review. Not enjoying a game's pacing is a completely valid reason to lower a score.

hmm...could it be the vita version of salt and sanctuary? they may not want him to talk about it because they haven't nailed down a release date?

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
hbSKTg1.png

Too much smoke for something that's not supposed to be a fire.

Stapleton is someone I used to follow on Twitter and he's definitely one of those guys who comes off as "I'm right and you're wrong" pretty much 24/7. I remember a Dark Souls rant from him basically saying everyone who likes these games is an idiot and supports bad game design.

I'm sure he's a good dude, but he comes off as a huge dick when trying to get others to stop acting like dicks. Kind of counterintuitive.

Edit: There's nothing wrong with Lucy's review. Not enjoying a game's pacing is a completely valid reason to lower a score.

You sure it wasn't Bloodborne? He published a scathing unofficial review (it was technically a blog post article posted to the main page) that was posted before the actual assigned review was published (which was glowing, by the way). I have no problems about people having different opinions, but I thought it was low for him to beat his own reviewer to the punch, especially when he is the executive reviews editor!

Zukkoyaki

You sure it wasn't Bloodborne? He published a scathing unofficial review (it was technically a blog post article posted to the main page) that was posted before the actual assigned review was published (which was glowing, by the way). I have no problems about people having different opinions, but I thought it was low for him to beat his own reviewer to the punch, especially when he is the executive reviews editor!
I recall both actually haha

Mezoly

Dan Stapleton frequently post on /r/pcmasterrace and always bash consoles on his twitter feed so anything he says doesn't surprise me.

Let me just first say that there is nothing wrong with Lucy's review. People getting upset about review of a game they haven't played is stupid.

But IGN editors always has the fall in line behind the reviewer mentality when they give an unpopular score to a game. I noticed that even when Greg and Colin where still there. When a game get lower/higher score than average they always say they have the same opinion as the reviewer to a degree that sometimes it doesn't feel genuine and they just want to calm the masses.

hbSKTg1.png

People living in glass houses don't throw stones Dan.

You're right they should keep making games that sell poorly and then be shut down?

What is there to suggest that SP are in danger of being shut down? Sony even made a blog post about how well i:SS was selling

So it comes with great excitement to learn that within the first nine days of launch, global sales of inFAMOUS Second Son exceeded over 1 million units*, making Second Son the fastest selling inFAMOUS title to date!

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2014/04/10/infamous-second-son-sales-surpass-1-million/

I guess anything is possible, but it certainly doesn't seem like they're in trouble. Would Spiderman potentially sell better? I guess so since it is a large established IP. But what good does it do Sony or SP in the long run? It's not their IP, so they really aren't strengthening their portfolio in the same way as they are with games like Gran Turismo, Uncharted, TLG etc. Wouldn't it make more sense to just continue to try to make inFamous into a stronger IP or have SP work on another game to try to build into another established IP? And what do they gain in the grand scheme of things by building up someone elses IP?

notaxation

Neo Member
Just to chime in here, I know Dan personally, and I sat next to him for a pretty long time. He and I agreed on very little, but I always found him respectful and hard-working, and he's quite smart, to boot. He was a hard, honest editor of a lot of my work, and I'm glad I got to know someone like him that really challenged the way I thought, and the way I wrote (well, write).

I think y'all are being a little harsh on him, but I suppose that's your right.

I also wanted to touch on this...

But IGN editors always has the fall in line behind the reviewer mentality when they give an unpopular score to a game. I noticed that even when Greg and Colin where still there. When a game get lower/higher score than average they always say they have the same opinion as the reviewer to a degree that sometimes it doesn't feel genuine and they just want to calm the masses.

I can't speak for anyone else, or for the current period of IGN nor its current staff, but when I was there -- and I was there for a very long time -- this wasn't even remotely true. I could point to many reviews I vocally disagreed with, whether on Beyond or social media, and I could point to reviews I wrote that at least some of my peers disagreed with. I'm pretty positive that remains the case today, with the current culture at the site, and with its current staff. I don't see how or why that would have changed.

People who are being assholes to Lucy need to go worry about something that actually matters. Because folks are getting way too worked up over VIDEO GAMES, and it's starting to scare me. =D

I hope you are all well!

P.S. Uncharted 4 is fucking awesome, and I'll be shocked if every last one of you doesn't love it. But I've been surprised before...

Just to chime in here, I know Dan personally, and I sat next to him for a pretty long time. He and I agreed on very little, but I always found him respectful and hard-working, and he's quite smart, to boot. He was a hard, honest editor of a lot of my work, and I'm glad I got to know someone like him that really challenged the way I thought, and the way I wrote (well, write).

I can't speak for anyone else, or for the current period of IGN nor its current staff, but when I was there -- and I was there for a very long time -- this wasn't even remotely true. I could point to many reviews I vocally disagreed with, whether on Beyond or social media, and I could point to reviews I wrote that at least some of my peers disagreed with. I'm pretty positive that remains the case today, with the current culture at the site, and with its current staff. I don't see how or why that would have changed.

People who are being assholes to Lucy need to go worry about something that actually matters. Because folks are getting way too worked up over VIDEO GAMES, and it's starting to scare me. =D

I hope you are all well!

P.S. Uncharted 4 is fucking awesome, and I'll be shocked if every last one of you doesn't love it. But I've been surprised before...

Yeah, don't get the hate hurled her way (especially when barely anyone has played it yet). And the crazy part is the 8.8 is not the final score (at least, not yet). It could go up. It could go down. It could stay put. I believe this is the first game (at least major game) that was reviewed under their new review policy. It all depends on how she feels about the online component. And last I checked 8.8 is a fantastic score. So, it confounds me that people are bashing her for giving it a low score.

Mezoly

I hope you are all well!

I think it's just a thought I always had. I'm not saying it's a policy or anything like that. It's just always stuck in my mind when an "unpopular" ps3 review came out that wasn't done by the old Beyond crew, Greg was usually one of the first in IGN comment section saying he feels the same way about the negatives/positives that the reviewer brought. I just was reminded by it in this week Beyond episode.It just feel when something like this happen, some editors seems to go out of their way to support the review at the first few weeks anyway. I always thought it was to combat the toxic Internet mob that follow such reviews.

Interestingly, If IGN didn't have a score and people just read Lucy's review, nobody would've been upset because it's a glowing praise of the game.

I hope you are all well!

People definitely don't need to be talking about big his head is or taking things he said about Bloodborne a year ago out of context, etc. However, I think even you can agree it definitely seems like he's insinuating some outlets are "rubber stamping" their UC4 reviews. Which isn't fair and it's not like IGN reviews have a 100% track record.
There's nothing wrong with Lucy's review. I'm always glad to see different opinions, even if I don't agree with all of them.

Colin pops in here, gets me hype for Uncharted 4, but doesn't acknowledge that secret vita/ps4 game he mentioned in PS I Love You...

Dammit, Moriarty.

I hope it's Odin Sphere. I've been looking forward to that one and would love some impressions. I need somebody to sell me on salt and sanctuary too though.

Sidebar: I know it isn't really their kind of game, well, at all really. But, I would love to see KF play some Overwatch and talk about it. It's really quite fantastic

ST2K

I guess the ending did it for you then.

I picked up the Nathan Drake Collection and I only have U3 left now. Hopefully I can finish it in time to join in on the U4 festivities.

People definitely don't need to be talking about big his head is or taking things he said about Bloodborne a year ago out of context, etc. However, I think even you can agree it definitely seems like he's insinuating some outlets are "rubber stamping" their UC4 reviews. Which isn't fair and it's not like IGN reviews have a 100% track record.
There's nothing wrong with Lucy's review. I'm always glad to see different opinions, even if I don't agree with all of them.

Nope. The real problem is people who put to much stock into a game score (or any score- be it game or otherwise). I don't typically like to place blame, but one person I see who may contribute to this issue is Michael Pachter. I think he's a smart man (and is probably more right than wrong- despite what NeoGAF thinks), however many times on his shows (Pach Attack/Pachter Factor), he's repeated his belief that a 70 rated game is a bad game, not worthy of attention. Last I checked, a 70 (or 7.0) is considered good on most scales. There are many worthy games that get passed up with that kind of thinking.

Mezoly

Nope. The real problem is people who put to much stock into a game score (or any score- be it game or otherwise). I don't typically like to place blame, but one person I see who may contribute to this issue is Michael Pachter. I think he's a smart man (and is probably more right than wrong- despite what NeoGAF thinks), however many times on his shows (Pach Attack/Pachter Factor), he's repeated his belief that a 70 rated game is a bad game, not worthy of attention. Last I checked, a 70 (or 7.0) is considered good on most scales. There are many worthy games that get passed up with that kind of thinking.

I get what he says though. While I don't consider 70 a bad game it's just some people like him or me are busy and there are many games to play. I usually don't play games that are rated in the 70s because I'd rather spend my time on other games that might be better.

70 rated games don't sell well. That makes those "bad" games to people who focus on things like sales.

They should just make what they want, and if they ever want to make a Jak & Daxter game again, they should definitely do it. I'm sure it'd be amazing if they did.

You know what is funny, reviewers are so quick to point out "This game is just a bit too short" or "This game felt too long, and the story dragged on"

However, you never really see too many reviews that say "This game was just the perfect length. This was the exact length it should have been to tell the story the best way possible" or something like that.

They are quick to point out too long, or too short, but never point out "Just right!" when it refers to the length of games.

jacobeid

Banned
Definitely not judging or making fun, but as a student of history (albeit American history), I was surprised that Colin didn't know how to pronounce bedouin.

I would like ND to go back to crash, maybe a smaller team within just does PSN titles. If they could work out things with activision, I think they could tell a pretty funny crash story now with great pacing.

But I agree overall, I don't want there next all hands on deck AAA title to be Jak or Crash, just give it to another studio that has passion for it. I think ND wants to create stories with realism. Whether they go TLOU2 or Starlight, I still see them telling adult oriented stories that really wouldn't fit Jak or Crash.

sh1fty

Colin, any thoughts on games deemed "high profile" being reviewed by a committee as opposed to a single person? I understand limitations due to staffing or availability of review copies but I feel like this would eliminate some of these "outlier" review scores (It's saying something about UC4 when an 8.8 is an outlier!). Doing away with review scores (or even the 100 point scale) is a good step towards limiting controversy (similar to what Kinda Funny and GiantBomb do). IGN should know they open themselves up to this type of controversy in this day and age of the internet.

I don't think the decision makers at IGN are stupid and they must realize these types of controversial reviews drive website traffic, which is what helps them survive as a company. It's surprising to see them get so upset about the reaction though (some of the reactionary responses by the internet are obviously unacceptable).

DKHF

Gonna watch the video, but no, they really shouldn't. I don't think they ever will now.
I'm not against them making a Jak game, but yeah I highly doubt they will make another one. If any old ND IP was revisited by ND I think it would be Crash (by a small team within ND working on it), but I doubt that they would even do that.

Colin may or may not be right about Uncharted and The Last of Us bring better games than Jak (I don't personally think so, but recognize I'm in the minority. I also think Crack in Time has better storytelling than the first three uncharted games (4 is a step up IMO so far)), but Colin did a really shitty job of addressing the poor guy's questions. He went out of his way to point out things like better platforming, more interesting and diverse weaponry, more (to him) interesting characters, et cetera. And Colin didn't address any of that. He's just uh mm oh ah Uncharted is better.

That's not a bad opinion to have, let me be clear, but it's infuriating to hear him go on so long and yet fail to articulate his opinion with any specificity nor counters to the TotS claims.

Colin may or may not be right about Uncharted and The Last of Us bring better games than Jak (I don't personally think so, but recognize I'm in the minority. I also think Crack in Time has better storytelling than the first three uncharted games (4 is a step up IMO so far)), but Colin did a really shitty job of addressing the poor guy's questions. He went out of his way to point out things like better platforming, more interesting and diverse weaponry, more (to him) interesting characters, et cetera. And Colin didn't address any of that. He's just uh mm oh ah Uncharted is better.

That's not a bad opinion to have, let me be clear, but it's infuriating to hear him go on so long and yet fail to articulate his opinion with any specificity nor counters to the TotS claims.
The dude was unreasonable himself though. He basically went shy of calling the Uncharted series and TLOU crappy games and praise Jak and Daxter as some amazing achievement. How can you take anyone seriously after that? It’s one thing not to like something, but if you don’t acknowledge the quality, you are basically just speaking from a completely biased viewpoint and only trying to further that viewpoint, not have reasonable debates.

They were good games, nothing amazing stood out about Jak games IMO but the storytelling and characters. Platforming/Challenge are much stronger in other games in the same genre. So ND already took what they were good at, and expanded, it’s not like they left behind their best work.

The dude was unreasonable himself though. He basically went shy of calling the Uncharted series and TLOU crappy games and praise Jak and Daxter as some amazing achievement. How can you take anyone seriously after that? It’s one thing not to like something, but if you don’t acknowledge the quality, you are basically just speaking from a completely biased viewpoint and only trying to further that viewpoint, not have reasonable debates.
That sounds a lot like discussion on Gaf lol.

If someone is being unreasonable just don't address them. I feel like Greg even reading the rant lent credence to it, and then making it the topic of the show even more so.

If someone is being unreasonable just don't address them. I feel like Greg even reading the rant lent credence to it, and then making it the topic of the show even more so.

i don't think he was being unreasonable, he has an opinion, one that is counter to what colin and greg feel. good on them for having the discussion

I thought it was a good discussion. and it is a good argument, Naughty Dog are now arguably the best developer period, in terms of innovation, storytelling and graphical fidelity with the real world. As much as O love Jak and Faster, I wouldn't want to trade what we have now, who is a company that creates breathtaking masterpieces to making quirky games.

Top Bottom