• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS, I Love You- Greg Miller's new PlayStation Podcast

I plan to listen a bit later on my desk once I'm done with a few meetings. Either that or tonight. Intrigued by the title...

There's a rumor Sony is developing a first-party Spider-Man game. I'm not sure I buy it. Sony's had the Spider-Man movie rights for a very long time. Also, typically Activision made the games based on the movies. With a franchise as big as Spider-Man, I'm not sure it would be wise to tie it to one system.

There's a rumor Sony is developing a first-party Spider-Man game. I'm not sure I buy it. Sony's had the Spider-Man movie rights for a very long time. Also, typically Activision made the games based on the movies. With a franchise as big as Spider-Man, I'm not sure it would be wise to tie it to one system.

Nothing has ever come close to Spider-man 2 in my personal opinion in terms of how the swinging was handled. This could be cool, but yeah idk. Activision as you said has always been the one publishing these games. No way in hell would a Spider-man game be a PS exclusive. I can already see the outrage from fans of the series of it really did happen.

Nothing has ever come close to Spider-man 2 in my personal opinion in terms of how the swinging was handled. This could be cool, but yeah idk. Activision as you said has always been the one publishing these games. No way in hell would a Spider-man game be a PS exclusive. I can already see the outrage from fans of the series of it really did happen.

Yeah. I have to wonder if someone (who doesn't follow which studios own specific movie rights) heard for the first time that Sony had the Spider-Man movie rights when the deal was made with Marvel to allow Spider-Man in the MCU figured that, as Sony has PlayStation, they could make a game based on it. I remember thinking this myself when I played the very first PS2 Spider-Man game. It's a very naive thought, if that's how this rumor started.

Maybe Sony/Suckerpunch came up with a great concept and approached Activision for a collaboration. If the idea is great enough they might be willing to grant exclusivity. And seeing how the PS4 is outselling its competition 2:1 it would be a much easier sell.

If it is a matter of rights and ownership, tying it to one platform and outrage won't matter. It will be a matter of Sony wanting to create something enticing for their platform.

jacobeid

Banned
Maybe Sony/Suckerpunch came up with a great concept and approached Activision for a collaboration. If the idea is great enough they might be willing to grant exclusivity. And seeing how the PS4 is outselling its competition 2:1 it would be a much easier sell.

Yes please to a SP Spiderman game!

Btw, are the Spiderman publishing rights exclusive to Activision?

They had been. But the last few games had been duds, so I don't know if they let them lapse. Here's a thought. Just speculation. What if Sony offered to buy off the rights from Activision (probably a pretty hefty sum) if they included Crash Bandicoot? Huh! HUH!?

They had been. But the last few games had been duds, so I don't know if they let them lapse. Here's a thought. Just speculation. What if Sony offered to buy off the rights from Activision (probably a pretty hefty sum) if they included Crash Bandicoot? Huh! HUH!?
That would be amazing. And seeing how Sony and Activision have been super tight this generation, I could see them working out a deal.

DKHF

Yeah. I have to wonder if someone (who doesn't follow which studios own specific movie rights) heard for the first time that Sony had the Spider-Man movie rights when the deal was made with Marvel to allow Spider-Man in the MCU figured that, as Sony has PlayStation, they could make a game based on it. I remember thinking this myself when I played the very first PS2 Spider-Man game. It's a very naive thought, if that's how this rumor started.

Activision supposedly only has/had the rights to a Spider-Man movie tie-in game (and I saw that those rights expire next year), so an original story Spider-Man game published by Sony is possible if Marvel authorised/licensed Sony to make one.

Just listened to the guys talk about this on the podcast and I'm completely on Greg's side. One Spider-Man game (or a trilogy which it probably would be if it was a huge success) made by Sucker Punch would be an amazing opportunity for the studio. It would introduce them to a massive new audience and has endless potential. I really hope it's happening. Assuming they started development on their next game in late 2014 it would be great to see this in late 2017/early 2018.

Addressing Colin's complaints about lack of AAA first party new franchises, I think Horizon, Dead Don't Ride and maybe something from Japan Studio is enough for now. I'm fine with three big new franchises next to Spider-Man, GoW and TLOU representing this generation. The Last of Us pretty much counts as a new franchise considering it debuted in 2013 5 months before the PS4's launch and no doubt a huge amount of the people who played it first experienced it on PS4. Gravity Rush is in a similar boat considering it launched on Vita (which is part of this generation) and GR2 has huge potential. There's also the possibility that Naughty Dog could work on a new IP alongside TLOU2 splitting into two teams again.

Fuck.... I want this now.

I actually think another Infamous would be amazing. All that game needs is more of everything. But a Spider-Man game that's high quality has the potential to sell like Batman, so yeah, if Sony is willing to invest and gets the license I'm all for it.

Hasn't been a great Spider-Man game in years, I'm sure it would sell very well, and could tell different stories from the movies.

Zukkoyaki

Have their been any hints of Uncharted 4 impressions from these guys?

They have a review discussion/video going up on when the embargo ends on Thursday. But based on their history of adoring the series, I have to imagine that it's going to be glowing.

I agree with Greg.

Use this supposed Spiderman opportunity to blowup and put them on the map and then build a new IP. They'll hopefully have the recognition and critical acclaim to support their new endeavors from that point forward.

I also think the face of PS thing was being overblown by Colin. I am sure there will be new stuff down the road from the various studios.

JTripper

I agree with Greg.

Use this supposed Spiderman opportunity to blowup and put them on the map and then build a new IP. They'll hopefully have the recognition and critical acclaim to support their new endeavors from that point forward.

I also think the face of PS thing was being overblown by Colin. I am sure there will be new stuff down the road from the various studios.

I understand where Colin was coming from in that discussion but I'm mostly with Greg there. It would be so cool for a trusted first-party dev to hunker down and really focus on making what could potentially be "The Great" Spider-Man video game. But as Colin said, or if I understood him correctly, it's one thing if a dev actually wants to do something like that rather than work on their own original IP but another if it's something placed on their shoulders only because Sony wants a AAA Spider-Man game for the PlayStation.

Mezoly

I didn't want Sucker Punch make a Spider Man game, but Greg raised a good point with the comparison to Rocksteady. Sucker Punch is an awesome developer but never made it to main stream like Naughty Dog did. A high profile Spider Man game could accomplish that.

In regards to First party games, sadly I feel this gen is going to push away first party games away. Games cost too much to make and first party has generally lower budget than third party. Also the push for every game to be open world and big is making it harder for these dev to compete. Add to that Sony is seeing success without a lot of first party games might make them consider doing more third party deals and focus less on first party. They also now make profit on hardware so Software is not the only source for profit like it use to be.
After this Gen, I think both platform holders will have five main studios that make only big games like Uncharted and Halo. That's just my little pessimistic opinion.

ST2K

Uh... unless I'm missing something, Sony only has the rights to Spideman movies. Not games or anything else.

Anyway, it'd be dumb for Sucker Punch to do this and would hamper them. As much as Colin and Greg love them, the studio still hasn't had a game that's knocked it out of the park, in terms of sales or critical acclaim. Pursuing a license would certainly be creatively limiting and might forever keep them out of Naughty Dog's/Polyphony's tier, or even Guerrilla's if Horizon lives up to its potential. Off the top of my head, only Rocksteady has managed to accomplish making good comic book games while also raising their profile as a developer. They are clearly the exception to the rule.

I'm also just not a fan of the idea of one of the biggest publishers in the industry, who is ideally supposed to be pushing the medium forward, deciding to utilize prime talent to make a comic book game. Just rubs me the wrong way.

Suzzopher

Spider-Man is the biggest comic book character in terms of merchandise in the world. One of the most iconic and recognisable characters on the planet, how would making a great Spider-Man game hamper and waste a studio that has never had a global mega hit? If they made a truly great Spider-Man game it would shoot their stock into orbit.

Sony would be able to confidently market a Spider-Man game without fear, the studio would then be able to make their IP as the creators of Spider-Man (insert title) and people would take notice.

Remember how Beenox made one decent Spider-Man game and everyone was hyped for the next? Now imagine Sucker Punch making a Spider-Man game with a budget bigger than Second Son, Sucker Punch would be so hot after that. Outside of gaming forums that is.

Sony of course wouldn't do this and Sucker Punch won't be making Spider-Man.

Suzzopher

Did I miss the news that Sucker Punch was in danger of that?

You only get so many chances with WWS before they shut you down, merge you with another studio or just massively reduce the work force.

Sucker Punch have made great games and I am a fan of all their games, but they have never hit the big time in terms of sales. If their next game fails to set the world on fire, I would honestly fear for them.

I want this because it would be awesome. I don't care about first party devs keeping up an image and all that business stuff. I just want an awesome Spiderman game to play as a gamer. Sucker Punch can get it done. Besides, how is what would supposedly be one Spiderman game make things so bad? They'll get right back to making new stuff afterward. Sony doesn't force their devs to do one particular thing over and over. This is even if it is a notable success.

Did I miss the news that Sucker Punch was in danger of that?
Well, they did have those big firings after Infamous Second Son. I don't think it means they are in danger of shutdown but yeah.

I think really nailing a fantastic Spiderman game would elevate them and allow them to obtain more significance on the market with their next game after that.

I'm also just not a fan of the idea of one of the biggest publishers in the industry, who is ideally supposed to be pushing the medium forward, deciding to utilize prime talent to make a comic book game. Just rubs me the wrong way.
One Spiderman game would make all their other efforts null and void?

You only get so many chances with WWS before they shut you down, merge you with another studio or just massively reduce the work force.

Sucker Punch have made great games and I am a fan of all their games, but they have never hit the big time in terms of sales. If their next game fails to set the world on fire, I would honestly fear for them.

I don't think Sucker Punch is in any danger whatsoever. All 3 inFAMOUS games have sold decently including Second Son which sold a million in only 9 or 10 days.

If any current Sony studio needs their next game to be a hit it is probably Bend.

Suzzopher

I don't think Sucker Punch is in any danger whatsoever. All 3 inFAMOUS games have sold decently including Second Son which sold a million in only 9 or 10 days.

If any current studio needs their next game to be a hit it is probably Bend.

There are probably only four safe studios, Santa Monica, Naughty Dog, Polyphony and San Diego ( due to The Show ). But I guess the real studios in most danger are the few remaining in the UK....Shu hates the British weather.

I think Sucker Punch and Spider-Man would be a match made in heaven - and I'm not even that interested in comic book characters. I think they could do a really great job with the character and (most importantly) the gameplay, and it would be a guaranteed commercial smash with the right marketing.

I do understand the demand for new things, but if the stars aligned and Sucker Punch wanted to make it, I think the opportunity would be too good to pass up for all parties involved.

Suzzopher

I wouldn't say Sucker Punch is in danger but they aren't necessarily sitting pretty either.

That wasn't even the argument I was making, more that a Spider-Man game would propel Sucker Punch from hardcore PlayStation fans knowing their name to a globally recognised studio.

The closure thing was more a comment about how Sony wouldn't keep bank rolling moderate hits forever.

Just finished listening and tbh even though I am not a big fan of Spider-man or anything, ai am siding with Greg. I think seeing Suckerpunch put their expertise from Infamous into a Spidey game would make for a very interesting experience.

Sucker Punch making a Spider-Man game?

If true it's funny how things come back around. I remember when InFamous launched there was lots of talk about SP taking on a Spider-Man property because of how solid and clingy Cole felt on InFamous.

Whenever the topic of who should tackle a Spider-Man game pops up, Sucker Punch is often mentioned. I agree with both Colin and Greg but I have to side with Greg on this one.

Colin's PoV:

2 dicks crushed on both hands slowly jerked lol

Sucker Punch should make a new IP, having said that in relation to last gen the PS4 hasn't introduced nearly as many new and GOOD IP this gen like they did last gen. (Uncharted, InFamous, Resistance, The Last of Us etc)

As a ps3 only guy last gen I was spoiled by WWS 1st party studios and I understand why Colin would want the next great idea from Sucker Punch.

Greg's PoV:

Sucker Punch sure is an awesome developer, but in the eyes on mainstream Joe/Jane gamer who tf is SP? They made InFamous/Sly but they don't have the brand power that say a ND/R* has. By making a Spider-Man game which is a universally known IP they will be noticed and if they make a proper and solid Spider-Man game they'll be Rocksteady.

Heavily regarded and lauded for making Batman relevant in the gaming space.

ND has carte blanche to do what they want to a certain degree I would think. SP does not but making a Spider-Man game or several may afford them the visibility and recognition they may need to bring us their next great IP.

InFamous SS was solid but it was no InFamous 1/2

Hopefully this rumor is true and maybe e3 will reveal all.

LiK

Huh, they won't be playing DkS3 at all? Why don't they just do a KF Plays for it? One of the biggest games of the year and the last in the series.

killroy87

Huh, they won't be playing DkS3 at all? Why don't they just do a KF Plays for it? One of the biggest games of the year and the last in the series.

If none of them enjoy the game or the series, I can't imagine how a video of them playing it would be any good

If none of them enjoy the game or the series, I can't imagine how a video of them playing it would be any good

I was going to say the same. And they mentioned it before, how their Let's Plays are mostly for games that they are interested in showing to us. Everyone out there is already showing that game. As far as we know, no one in the group is a huge fan of the series either. I prefer to see them do Let's Plays of more niche, obscure stuff to raise awareness than showing big games that you can see everywhere else or stuff that they are excited about since that makes for a way more entertaining watch.

I wonder if the next episode will be heavily Uncharted leaning.

Maybe since it'll air on the day the game drops. It would make sense, but at the same time I don't think they'd want to talk about the game AGAIN since they'll be doing that in the impressions video that they are posting tomorrow... Maybe not this upcoming week, but either the next or even the week after to give people time to play through the campaign.

Top Bottom