• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS portable revival: how would it work?

how would the rumored PS portable function?

• Total voters

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Well since the success of the PS Portal Sony has decided to investigate the idea of making another true portable, thank God!

Between Valves entry, all the other windows powered PC handhelds, emulation based handhelds and now Xbox and PS jumping into the fray the 2020s seem like a great time for dedicated handheld gaming systems.

There's been a bit of debate on what the system's hardware will be, and how the hell it is expected to play games. Here's a synopsis of the poll options I've made.

Traditional: blank slate, no compatibility with Playstation 4 or 5. A new platform from the ground up with its own exclusive library of games. This does have the benefit of giving the system it's own identity but in the 2020s it's an overly expensive way to go about handhelds considering the dev time of games and new hardware around.

PS4 BC: Like the Sega Nomad, it's a portable variant of the previous system. They can do this through actually cramming the PS4 hardware into a small system or translating it i.e Proton or ShadPS4. You don't need to make a new library since everything is on ps4 but the consumer will not get any new games since the system is outdated (although this approach might breathe new life into the PS4 platform)

PS4 BC with limited PS5 compat: this is similar to the previous option but with the additional capability of playing a select few PS5 games that can run on the system. This will be up to the publisher on whether they want to optimize for the system.

Cloud streaming: no real local hardware, the system is just a tablet like the portal streaming from Sony's cloud servers rather than the PS5. No thought needs to be put into this approach but the experience will be laggy and internet-dependent, which does compromise the whole portability aspect.

PC Handheld: the Steam Deck/ROG Ally approach. Sony creates a portable PC with Windows or a specialized Linux OS that can run games thru steam. This is a really cheap approach, but it's completely separate from the Playstation ecosystem- no games, trophies, saves, friends or ANYTHING transfers over from PSN. It can hardly be considered a Playstation product at all.

Portable PS5: either a pipe dream or a long term idea. Similar to the PS4 BC idea, but PS5 BC instead of PS4. You will have a fully functional PS5 in your hands and you can play anything that system can- however the hardware to make this is virtually out of the question and this system (if it supported TV out) could eat into the sales of the actual PS5.

Last edited:

tmlDan

the steamdeck route is the best way to go, PS4 with PS5 capabilities use your library on the go

Cloud can also be added

vivftp

I'll just post what I typed in the other thread

The best case scenario that I see, Sony releases a new handheld based on the Portal blueprint, but of course chonkier. This device can natively play PS1, PS2, PS4, PSP games downloaded from PSN. It can also play select PS5 games that have been specifically downported to run on this device, so case by case basis. Additionally, if/when Sony develops an emulator for PS Vita and PS3 games, add those to the above list for native playback. Additionally it can do remote play and cloud streaming.

Package it up and offer it for at least $499 USD. That way the Portal remains a viable option for those who only want remote play (and cloud streaming once it's eventually added) at $199 and those who want the ability to play games natively get their option at $499. Use this gen as a testbed for such a strategy for the handheld device to be released next gen around the mid-way point just like the PS6 Pro

Shin-Ra

PS Portal is only (sort of) appealing because it works with 100% of DualShock 4 and DualSense games that you already own.

Any PSP/Vita like portable with its own software range or updated old games won’t be properly supported by PlayStation, third parties or consumers. The whole idea is a complete disaster.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
I'll just post what I typed in the other thread

The best case scenario that I see, Sony releases a new handheld based on the Portal blueprint, but of course chonkier. This device can natively play PS1, PS2, PS4, PSP games downloaded from PSN. It can also play select PS5 games that have been specifically downported to run on this device, so case by case basis. Additionally, if/when Sony develops an emulator for PS Vita and PS3 games, add those to the above list for native playback. Additionally it can do remote play and cloud streaming.

Package it up and offer it for at least $499 USD. That way the Portal remains a viable option for those who only want remote play (and cloud streaming once it's eventually added) at $199 and those who want the ability to play games natively get their option at $499. Use this gen as a testbed for such a strategy for the handheld device to be released next gen around the mid-way point just like the PS6 Pro
499 a bit much but I can see success for the device if they could drop it to 399.

Keep in mind the Deck will have equivalent hardware and you can pick one up for 349 off Valve's site

vivftp

499 a bit much but I can see success for the device if they could drop it to 399.

Keep in mind the Deck will have equivalent hardware and you can pick one up for 349 off Valve's site

Anything's possible since we're talking about a hypothetical device with made up specs, but for what I suggested in my post, I honestly think $499 is the more realistic price point they'd go for. I would imagine that this device would be more powerful than a Steam Deck though

El Muerto

Gold Member
Needs to have it's own games for sure. It will likely have an arm processor so making PS4 games compatible would require extra work and resources. But seeing how Sony abandoned the Vita and now PSVR2, i doubt they would spend the time and money getting PS4 games to work on the next handheld. They would do it on a game by game basis like PS2 games on consoles and charge an outrageous price.

Bernoulli

M2 slut
With upscaling tech it's easy to have PS5 games on a 720p or 1080p handheld, with some additional optimization

Should be as powerful as series s, with full ps4 support plus ps5 games on a case by case basis. Needs to be semi open platform, if wants to complete with steamdeck.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
If Sony were to release a new handheld I think it would make sense for it to at least be compatible with the PS4 library. I don't know they could put a PS5 into that form factor with any reasonable amount of battery life, but maybe they can. But that would present a couple of problems. Unless cross-gen continues it won't get any new games. If cross-gen does continue then you get people complaining about cross-gen every 5 minutes.

I don't think a dedicated spec with its own library makes sense, either. Sony seems to barely be able to support PS5 with games from their fist party studios. So unless they farm out development of first party titles for the device it's probably going to go the way Vita did.

I like the decision they made with PS Portal. If Sony updated that device to include cloud support for PS+ that would be enough for me. Some people only want to play natively and I get that. But PS Portal and Chiaki on Steam Deck currently provide me with a great experience.

killatopak

Gold Member
The issue with PS Portables will always be 3rd party support.

Ensure whatever the Switch gets, Sony gets as well or else we’ll just see a repeat of the Vita, bless that little device’s heart.

Rodolink

non of the options, i think it could be an updated streaming device with downgraded standalone games (so be it ps4 or ps5 games specifically downgraded for this)

Just need Sony to update my portal to be able to stream games via the cloud. Its basically all I use it for now, by streaming when mimon the road to my PS5 at my house.

Will probably allow for better latency and don't have to worry about my PS5 being on, as I don't typically keep in rest mode.

SonGoku

The only way it would work is if it was Sonys main console/hybrid or if it played the exact same console games at lower settings with minimal or no developer input.
Developer support both 1st and 3rd párty are what makes or kills a gaming system which is why both Nintendo and Sony realized its best to focus all attention on a single gaming device

Last edited:

Parazels

I can't believe so many people are asking for PS4 handheld!
This device can't be cheap, but it would immediately lose to other handhelds, which get all new games!

I can't believe so many people are asking for PS4 handheld!
This device can't be cheap, but it would immediately lose to other handhelds, which get all new games!

Sony doesn't need it to beat all other handhelds. They just want more people in their ecosystem spending more time there. If the portal can do well for them I don't see how a PS4 handheld can't.

Parazels

Sony doesn't need it to beat all other handhelds. They just want more people in their ecosystem spending more time there. If the portal can do well for them I don't see how a PS4 handheld can't.
PS Portal is a portal to the PS5 games ))))

I'm sure Sony is thinking about future, so their handheld should be on the edge of game industry, not a device for nostalgic fans.

Imagine 2026:
- Steam offers modern Steam Deck 2;
- Nintendo offers modern Switch 2;
- Microsoft offers modern Xbox Portable;
- Sony offers... retired PS4!

Last edited:
PS Portal is a portal to the PS5 games ))))

I'm sure Sony is thinking about future, so their handheld should be on the edge of game industry, not a device for nostalgic fans.

Imagine 2026:
- Steam offers modern Steam Deck 2;
- Nintendo offers modern Switch 2;
- Microsoft offers modern Xbox Portable;
- Sony offers... retired PS4!

I honestly don't think it matters. I think Sony has entered the Apple like stage in their ecosystem and their users will buy their products because they see Sony as delivering quality products. Also they can make their handheld play PS5 games the same way the portal does.

Parazels

I honestly don't think it matters. I think Sony has entered the Apple like stage in their ecosystem and their users will buy their products because they see Sony as delivering quality products. Also they can make their handheld play PS5 games the same way the portal does.
Any way I think Switch 2 will simply kill the competition.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
A ps4 handheld would be kind of pointless. Unless you think crossgen will continue for years to come. And PS4 has barely any exclusives to sell it over a PC handheld that is an open platform. PC handheld would have lots of stiff competition. A traditional handheld they have proven with Vita and now PsVR2 that they will simply not support it, and would be competing with Switch 2 and get slaughtered. I think a PC handheld could be interesting. PSP and Vita are both great devices. They make nice handhelds, I just don’t know where they fit in the market.

MrMephistoX

I feel like a dedicated portable would flop unless it’s basically PS5 level when PS6 releases and games continue to be cross gen: the days of a dedicated portable library are over which is why I actually like my Portal a lot.

PaintTinJr

It is tricky, I think something in the middle would work.

By default the system would be a Portal build device but with actual processing power and storage, so heavier and bigger in the body and with full touch and stylus support for its 1080p screen locked out for PlayStation walled garden use, but with an expansion nvme ssd bay to support it dual booting to Windows or Linux for Steam/EGS use for those advanced users interested.

So long as they could manage to get the same level of APU design in the handheld as the PS5, but obviously at a lower clock rate and the GPU around 1/4 of the PS5 CUs, ROPs, etc but with a NPU for PSSR, along with 16GB of unified memory, and with an IO complex for internal storage in budget, then they'd maybe be able to have their cake and eat it.

Unwalled garden Dual boot Windows/linux mode would only provide 8GBs for the CPU and 4GBs for the GPU, and lockout the NPU, the IO Complex and internal SSD, and lock out the Tempest engine, haptic triggers and clock the GPU at 2/3rds the walled garden PS OS mode, so on the face of it, it would be a nice device to also run Valve/EGS games on like a steamdeck using Windows or Linux, just with the Portal's better screen and with full touch/stylus support, but effectively 720p with FSR2, and on the walled garden side you get all the bells and whistles of the PS5 and the Pro's PSSR, but chopped down to 1/4 of a PS5 to still encourage multi platform use/purchases on the walled garden side where PSSR enhanced 720p rendered with full access to 16GBs of unified memory and 1/3rd more GPU processing, along with same PS5 native storage acceleration and audio enhancement, but still giving the ability to use the external nvme slot drive or a partition of that drive for colder walled garden storage might be the right pitch of openness, but with most users still just using as the walled garden,

I'm good with the Portal. A new handheld, with exclusive games. WTF kind of sense does that make? Sony is floundering with their 1st Party focus. No way in hell it gets anything more than downgraded existing games, which the Portal already addresses and the games aren't downgraded. It's a seriously great device. I also think that VR is the current iteration of PSP. Minimal attention/resources from Sony, completely reliant on indies, 3rd parties, and contract work from Capcom.

Besides, Switch/Ally/Steamdeck and the million other handheld emulation devices have us covered in spades.

Let Sony go for it though, they are really intent on shitting the bed whenever they can and it's pretty entertaining to watch.

I think the poll is pretty spot on here.

Sony (or anyone else for that matter) can afford to do the below

- create a separate platform/ecosystem from scratch with its own set of games

- create a sub-tier of the PS5, we know what a pain XBS has been for developers

Therefore, I think Sony’s new handheld should simply be the PS4 Portable, therefore there’s already hundreds of games available from day one and, seeing as devs won’t drop the bloody PS4, new games going forward

A couple of years after PS6 launches, release the PS5 Portable

Zathalus

Just enhance streaming, from both the cloud and your local console. GeForce Now shows it is perfectly possible to achieve both great image quality and low lag.

Last edited:

Kupfer

• doesn't need to be that powerful, doesn't need to be a portable PS4
  • make a handheld with good screen, good battery and nice quality controls
  • no proprietary BS, just use 2230 ssd and/or microSD
  • remote play PS4 / PS5
  • native play backward PSP / backward PSVITA / own games
  • own library with smaller spin-offs of large series
  • generally smaller games with lower development costs
  • 40€ range per game
  • modern browser and apps
  • ad-hoc multiplayergames like on PSP back in the days
  • HDMI out / dock
  • controller support for docked multiplayer

Last edited:
PS Portal 2 wet dream
  • Release at the same time as PS6
  • Natively play PS1 - PS4 games and some PS5 games via PSSR.
  • Play Vita games.
  • Continue to feature remote play, except now with direct connect option. (With PS6)
  • Have a 5G connection and cloud streaming.
  • Have Bluetooth compatibility.
  • HDMI Out
  • OLED Screen 1080p screen
  • Prices
    • $399 Base 500GB
    • $499 1TB
    • $599 1TB + 1yr PS Plus Premium for PS6/PS5 Cloud Streaming

Price is a bit high but reasonable imo. Sony would rule the world with this thing.

Last edited:

Zathalus

Most of us don’t want streaming and never will
Streaming from your console at home would give you better graphics and frame rate than any dedicated portable ever will. It also doesn’t run into the issue of split resources or the main console held back by a weaker sibling.

Streaming only looses out when on the go, but even then as long as you are near any major datacenters and have a decent 5G or WiFi connection you should be fine. If no good connection is available then absolutely native play is superior. I just don’t believe having that is worth the trade off to Sony.

Top Bottom