• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS1 Appreciation/Collectors Thread of Ugly-Ass Polygons

As I suspected, talking about the PS1 made me wanna buy shit for the PS1.

1uMh554.jpg

Bought the Japanese version of Lammy cuz it's not censored. You go to Hell in the Japanese version. In the US one, it's some crazy time travel shit that goes on or something. I dunno. I need a drink.
What was censored from the US version?

I'm planning on checking out retro stores tomorrow for some more PS1 games. I want to pick up the rarer ones now before their prices shoot up like SNES games have in the last year or so.

EDIT: I guess I need to read. :)

Teknoman

Whoo found Crash Bandicoot 1 today while checking thift stores :D Greatest hits, but it was a miracle that the CD was in excellent shape with the manual.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Whoo found Crash Bandicoot 1 today while checking thift stores :D Greatest hits, but it was a miracle that the CD was in excellent shape with the manual.

I'm tempted to buy Crash Bandicoot 1 purely out of nostalgia. The only time I actually played that one was back in 1997... actually, that was a fun time. I didn't have a PS1 in 1997, so I convinced my parents to let me rent one from Blockbuster and they eventually gave in. The first time I rented one, I got Ridge Racer Revolution. That was amazing. The second time, I got Crash Bandicoot. Even more amazing.

At the time, I was saddled with an N64 which, despite being a huge Nintendo fan up to that point, was disappointing as all hell. I remember really being into fighting games back then, and it didn't take too many rounds of Dark Rift for me to realize that there was just nothing for me on the system. So when I started having more chances to play the PS1, it was a goddamn revelation.

Anyway, I'm ranting.

Teknoman

I just grabbed it since I never beat the game. Let my cousin borrow it when the game was still fairly new...didnt return the game until like 4 or 5 months later, and then it wouldnt load past a certain stage.

Never figured out why since it wasnt scratched, but for some reason I never picked up the game again. I remember playing a little of 2, so that'll probably be the last one I go after at some point.

I played the crap out of this series. Especially the first game. Back in the day, NFS was noteworthy because the developers were able to hide the kind of 'draw in' racing games were notorious for in the early days of 32 bit. You know, where the road and environments would literally be drawn in as you drove, breaking the illusion that you were actually going somewhere. But even in that first game, you could see really far down the road - something we take for granted now, but in 1996 this was a big deal. Actually, it was better than NFS II in that regard, a game which oddly enough did suffer from drawn in and pop in issues. Must have been a different team.

But overall, what a great series of games for the PS1. Sure, the PC games outshine them, but back on the day when all I had was a PS1, I was in racing heaven.

Cheddahz

Banned
I only had one PS Underground disc... it was the one that had Korn's Got The Life on it. That was sweet.

I had a bunch of demo discs from OPM, though. First issue I got was... I think the October 1998 issue... whichever one had Metal Gear Solid on it. I kinda want to hunt down that demo disc solely for nostalgia purposes.
I still have that demo disc, though I doubt my four year old self took good care of it

I just got back from a fun trek to multiple retro stores and picked up a crapload of PS1 games.
LLShC.gif
DAMN YOU THREAD! ;) I will post pictures of the haul tonight.

I just picked up a complete copy of King's Field II today at a local store. It is the first one I've seen complete in a long time, so I decided to buy it. Well, I just got home and noticed that it looks like the disc label/data has been torn off. There is some residue on the top so I think it may have had one of those Hollywood Video or Blockbuster 'disc guards' on it and some idiot just tried to tear it off. Damn... :\

Danny Dudekisser

I just picked up a complete copy of King's Field II today at a local store. It is the first one I've seen complete in a long time, so I decided to buy it. Well, I just got home and noticed that it looks like the disc label/data has been torn off. There is some residue on the top so I think it may have had one of those Hollywood Video or Blockbuster 'disc guards' on it and some idiot just tried to tear it off. Damn... :\

Sucks. At least the actual game disc isn't that expensive, though.

I always thought it was kinda dumb that Blockbuster put those labels on it, especially since they sell their games at some point.

Or sold. They dead.

Danny Dudekisser

So, apart from the minor compatibility issues that everyone already knows about, is there any reason to use a PS1 over a PS2?

I'm not sure if maybe the PS1 has better video output for the games, for example, or if the PS2 has some emulation issues or something... but if there are differences, I wanna know.

Because I'm kinda tempted to bite the bullet and buy an actual PS1 again.

sn00zer

So, apart from the minor compatibility issues that everyone already knows about, is there any reason to use a PS1 over a PS2?

I'm not sure if maybe the PS1 has better video output for the games, for example, or if the PS2 has some emulation issues or something... but if there are differences, I wanna know.

No, you get some filtering and faster load times witha PS2...cant think of a reason to get a ps1 over a ps2...cept for the awesome sony intro on ps1

IrishNinja

man i played the original JP/uncensored Lammy in the day, and the changes in the US one...they're not so bad i guess but its still sucky & makes me wish i had that version again. no idea why it was censored anyway, it's not even that bad.

man i played the original JP/uncensored Lammy in the day, and the changes in the US one...they're not so bad i guess but its still sucky & makes me wish i had that version again. no idea why it was censored anyway, it's not even that bad.

Religious parents and whatnot, I'd guess. The change wasn't very big, so it didn't really bother me. It's still one of my favorite PlayStation games, one of my favorite music games, and my favorite game in the Parappa series. I've been itching to play it again for a while, so I think I might get off my lazy, computer distracted ass and go play it later...well, after my brother is done playing Metal Combat on the SNES here. I can't play anything if he's using the TV. :/

No, you get some filtering and faster load times witha PS2...cant think of a reason to get a ps1 over a ps2...cept for the awesome sony intro on ps1

The PlayStation 2 also has component video support, which makes PlayStation games look fantastic on a CRT TV that supports it.

Danny Dudekisser

Religious parents and whatnot, I'd guess. The change wasn't very big, so it didn't really bother me. It's still one of my favorite PlayStation games, one of my favorite music games, and my favorite game in the Parappa series. I've been itching to play it again for a while, so I think I might get off my lazy, computer distracted ass and go play it later...well, after my brother is done playing Metal Combat on the SNES here. I can't play anything if he's using the TV. :/

The PlayStation 2 also has component video support, which makes PlayStation games look fantastic on a CRT TV that supports it.

Eh, PS1 has RGB SCART so it's kinda a wash.

But the PS2 does have optical audio. Which makes me cum.

IrishNinja

^had no idea PS2 did digital optical...huh

i know, i just thought we were starting to get out of that overly religious phase around then...it bothers me in level 1 when chop-chop master onion goes "..and if you play an island...you've come far!", sounds all wrong. the whole rhythm of the final stage feels off because of how much i played that version.

Eh, PS1 has RGB SCART so it's kinda a wash.

But the PS2 does have optical audio. Which makes me cum.

Well...RGB SCART isn't common in the US...so it would require a component converter box for most people...so, yeah, for Americans, component is nice. Hah.

And yes...the optical audio is nice. Very nice.

Danny Dudekisser

Well...RGB SCART isn't common in the US...so it would require a component converter box for most people...so, yeah, for American's, component is nice. Hah.

Yeah, I only mentioned it cuz this is the kind of thread where peepz are crazy enough to throw down money for an XRGB. Gotta be playing that shit as pretty as possible, yo.

Speaking of which, maybe instead of wasting money on a PSOne, I'll just put that towards a Framemeister.

and I still have to sell my XRGB-3. Goddammit. Life is so tough.

I just want to buy some new toys.

PS2 has component out, which in my opinion looks so much better than S-Video upscaled on HDTVs.

IrishNinja

yeah i was just gonna leave my BC PS3 hooked up but now i kinda wanna plug my PS2 (with HDD loader!) into the XRGB when it gets here to upscale ps1 & 2 games....

also Chacranajxy you keep threatening to sell that thing, but i'm pretty sure you'd have someone bite in the buy/sell thread

Danny Dudekisser

yeah i was just gonna leave my BC PS3 hooked up but now i kinda wanna plug my PS2 (with HDD loader!) into the XRGB when it gets here to upscale ps1 & 2 games....

also Chacranajxy you keep threatening to sell that thing, but i'm pretty sure you'd have someone bite in the buy/sell thread

Yeah, I'm gonna dump it there once I get back home, cuz that's where it is right now. I, on the other hand, am at school for another 2 weeks. Can't have that pay day quite yet.

flyover

I've kept my original PlayStation because of the (parallel port) GameShark. I usually play PS1 games on the PS3, but every once in a while, I like to go god mode or just mess things up.

I wish they still had cheat devices. Hell, I wish some companies would make DLC that allowed us to screw around with games like we used to.

televator

I've kept my original PlayStation because of the (parallel port) GameShark. I usually play PS1 games on the PS3, but every once in a while, I like to go god mode or just mess things up.

I wish they still had cheat devices. Hell, I wish some companies would make DLC that allowed us to screw around with games like we used to.

I hear that. I miss being able to "victory lap" a game by replaying it with ridiculous options activated through cheats.

The PS3 does have a game genie, but it just alters your save, so no things like "god mode." :(

anyone ever play aconcagua? its a japan-only adventure game centered around a resistance group in south america that have their plane detonated mid-air but the totalitarian government and have to survive in the mountains. after reading about it on hardcoregamging101 i've desperately wanted to check it out, it sounds like a precursor to disaster report.

L0YobJj.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEWeVzcHmOA

Danny Dudekisser

I always kinda wanted to try Aconcagua ever since it first came out. I remember emailing NCSX and being like "is this game good?" and they were like "yeah, it's sweet." This was like... 2000 or something, so it was still okay to pester stores like that.

But I never bought it :(

Man, I wish we'd gotten that and Hellnight (Dark Messiah) here in the US. Just my kind of games.

damn hellnight sounds badass

another title along those lines is the ridiculously ambitious mizzurna falls by human entertainment, i imagine swery used the basis of this game as a template for deadly premonition since it has a similar feel to its gameplay based on the videos

tumblr_lfifibwiHL1qzqgkn.jpg

EkGjuE2.jpg

IHI7w8o.jpg

HR2vkdY.jpg

this tumblr blog has a pretty nice expose on it

Yuterald

Fuck yeah. I've been playing this for the last week or so and I FINALLY finished it a few minutes ago. I was playing on Hard and some of the missions towards the end were getting pretty hairy. The final mission took me 20+ tries, at least. I finally took that Sky Fortress down and became an Ace! Completing Hard, from what I can tell, unlocked all planes free of purchase. I can also replay any mission now too. All pilots for hire are available from the start even though you begin with zero credits in this "new game+" of sorts. Pretty cool stuff!

I'm so glad I got to experience the first Ace game, being such a fan of the PS2 trilogy. Series came a LONG way, to say the least. Going to jump into Ace Combat 2 now!

Danny Dudekisser

I just played through R4 again. Interesting. Game feels really, really slow in the first race. For a second there I was like "the fuck... how was this game good?" I dunno if my eyes adjusted or if it sped up, but by the second track, I remembered why I liked the game so much back in the day. It has my favorite drifting mechanics of any racing game. And from that point on, it was really, really fun. Edge of the Earth is still the best track:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zh3XMoCynsY

Naturally, the soundtrack is still immaculate.

Yuterald

I just played through R4 again. Interesting. Game feels really, really slow in the first race. For a second there I was like "the fuck... how was this game good?" I dunno if my eyes adjusted or if it sped up, but by the second track, I remembered why I liked the game so much back in the day. It has my favorite drifting mechanics of any racing game. And from that point on, it was really, really fun. Edge of the Earth is still the best track:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zh3XMoCynsY

Naturally, the soundtrack is still immaculate.

I got my R4 in the mail during the week and popped it in for a race or two and thought it was pretty beastly. I haven't played a traditional racing game in YEARS though so I probably don't know any better. My racing game knowledge goes as far as Mario Kart and F-Zero, so what do I know? =D

Yeah, the music is hot shit. I'll probably play it some more over the summer, but for now I'm pretty busy with some other PS1 goodness. Gotta wait for a breezy summer day where I can open my windows and blast the music.

I'll probably make a video of my PS1 collection and share it with this thread soon too. It's sort of a shell of its former self since I lost most of it 4 years ago in a house fire, but I'm slowly building it back up. I managed to salvage some essentials (like copies of Valkyrie Profile and Suikoden II) which weren't damaged, for whatever reason. =/

I just played through R4 again. Interesting. Game feels really, really slow in the first race. For a second there I was like "the fuck... how was this game good?" I dunno if my eyes adjusted or if it sped up, but by the second track, I remembered why I liked the game so much back in the day. It has my favorite drifting mechanics of any racing game. And from that point on, it was really, really fun.
You have to get further in the game. When you start unlocking and using some of the higher lvl cars on the earlier tracks it's just as bananas as any other RR.

flyover

another title along those lines is the ridiculously ambitious mizzurna falls by human entertainment, i imagine swery used the basis of this game as a template for deadly premonition since it has a similar feel to its gameplay based on the videos

Whoa. Thanks for posting that! I wish we'd gotten that, too. I don't even know that I've heard of it before -- or if I have, I've forgotten.

Last night I ordered copies of Ace Combat 2 and 3 because of this thread. I used to have them, but it's high time I get them back.

Also regarding playing on a PS2 or a PS3 versus an original system, I still maintain while playing on the newer systems is serviceable, I still refer playing on an OG system. There are always some small idiosyncrasies with PS1 emulation. Like when I'm racing in Wipeout and there are these faint vertical lines on the horizon that I don't see when playing on a PS1. I still use the PS3 all the time because it's convenient to do so, but with certain games I'll use a PS1.

Yuterald

Last night I ordered copies of Ace Combat 2 and 3 because of this thread. I used to have them, but it's high time I get them back.

Also regarding playing on a PS2 or a PS3 versus an original system, I still maintain while playing on the newer systems is serviceable, I still refer playing on an OG system. There are always some small idiosyncrasies with PS1 emulation. Like when I'm racing in Wipeout and there are these faint vertical lines on the horizon that I don't see when playing on a PS1. I still use the PS3 all the time because it's convenient to do so, but with certain games I'll use a PS1.

I just popped in Ace Combat 2 for the first time today and it's incredible. I beat Ace Combat 1 for the first time this afternoon and the jump from 1 to 2 is staggering. AC2 feels and looks like a significant upgrade. The slap bass briefing screens are in FULL FORCE with this one!

I'm so sad with how Namco of America treated Ace Combat 3. I read more today about the differences between the JP version and the NA one. It's more than just removed story/anime scenes. Apparently, the planes handle differently, or their specs are off, some shit like that. It's unfortunate. I still want to play it, but I hate the feeling of playing a version that doesn't respect the original creator's vision. =(

Well like I said in the "What cha been playin'" thread, if you like Ace combat 2, you should look into Bogey Dead 6 for the PS1. Great AC2 clone.

Still have some PS1 games but not the original boxes sadly.
ps1sh.jpg

From left to right and top to bottom:
WW Smackdown 2
Syphon Filter 2 (Disc 1 & 2)
Vampire Hunter D
Duke Nukem Land of the Babes
Crash Bandicoot 3 Warped
Toca 2 Touring Cars
Chase the Express (Disc 1&2)
Urban Chaos
Nba '97 (lol)
Dino Crisis
Final Fantasy IX (Discs 1-2)
Final Fantasy VIII (Only Disc 3 and 4 strangely)
Dead or Alive
Tomb Raider Revelations

Danny Dudekisser

I got my R4 in the mail during the week and popped it in for a race or two and thought it was pretty beastly. I haven't played a traditional racing game in YEARS though so I probably don't know any better. My racing game knowledge goes as far as Mario Kart and F-Zero, so what do I know? =D

Yeah, the music is hot shit. I'll probably play it some more over the summer, but for now I'm pretty busy with some other PS1 goodness. Gotta wait for a breezy summer day where I can open my windows and blast the music.

That's exactly the kind of day it was today. I instinctively grabbed a beer and threw the game in. It was perfect.

One thing I've realized is that I've really only heard part of the R4 soundtrack. I always just listen to whatever the default song for a given track is. And there's some really, really good stuff I've only heard maybe like once. Gotta broaden my horizons.

Guess I'll run through it again with a more difficult racing team.

tumblr_lfifibwiHL1qzqgkn.jpg

EkGjuE2.jpg

IHI7w8o.jpg

HR2vkdY.jpg

Holy fucking shit. Thank you so much for this. Please repost this in any Deadly Premonition thread and watch hell break loose.

Top Bottom