• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS1 Appreciation/Collectors Thread of Ugly-Ass Polygons

jbueno

That white PS2 looks really slick there Boss, I´m also on the hunt for one preferably a NTSC-J system as the Swap Magic trick is getting frustrating. Maybe I´ll just end up chipping my system though.

L.O.R.D

Did Sony ever put this to any good use?

parallel.jpg

i used this port alot for gameshark
313908543_tp.jpg

gameshark1.JPG

it was fun missing with games , and beat some games also
i remember playing RE1 for 3-5 month and didn't know where to go ( i was 10 and my english was so bad ) and i was missing a gem that can open the pool to underground ,so i put the code for that gem , and put the key for infinite rocket launcher

Cherished this demo disk for mainly the Iraira-Bo (The Irritating Stick) demo.

LOVED that demo. Never bothered to find the whole game. Wish I still had that disk.

$(KGrHqZHJF!E88evqLyQBPbRbWcsVw~~60_57.JPG

sn00zer

Hey, just finished up Klonoa looking for a new game to DL....looking primarily for action/adventure games.... basically anyuthing with real time combat

been eyeing RE2 as Ive never played it, but I have a real soft spot for Dino Crisis, Medievil and Parasite Eve 2...any suggestions?...also looking at Jumping Flash...gah o many choices that arent Crash or Spyro

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
So how are the Fear Effect games these days? I didn't really play the second one, but I recall really liking the first one, and I have a predilection for RE-style games. Just not sure how well this series has aged...

Hey, just finished up Klonoa looking for a new game to DL....looking primarily for action/adventure games.... basically anyuthing with real time combat

been eyeing RE2 as Ive never played it, but I have a real soft spot for Dino Crisis, Medievil and Parasite Eve 2...any suggestions?...also looking at Jumping Flash...gah o many choices that arent Crash or Spyro

Jumping Flash 1 and 2 are both essential imo.
Check out the MuuMuus, then look at the islanders in Super Mario Sunshine... notice any similarities?

OntqiZu.jpg
K0c09zN.jpg

I've never been able to confirm it, but I'm pretty sure Nintendo headhunted most of Exact's team because the 3D platforming in Jumping Flash was so well done.

Rezae

Going to have to start collecting this again. I think I owned a significant amount of whats considered the "classic" PS1 titles, but sold most of them as I moved digital. I think I'll end up buying most of them back, as for the most part PS1 games aren't that expensive.

Having been a gamer since the Atari 2600, I can easily say that the PS1 was the most "fun" system in retrospect. The sheer variety of titles was staggering. It was like the wild west with 3D, and for the people that grew up in the 80's and early 90's, we'll NEVER experience a gen that was as mindblowing as that 32/64 bit gen, and the PS1 led that charge. 3d worlds and a tone that moved gaming from toys to teens/adults was such a shift.

There's just something about PS1 games that has a charm about them. They didn't seem so "gritty" compared to PS2 games. They were raw, colorful, varied, and fun. Most didn't try to act like interactive movies, the music was a massive leap due to CDs yet many games still maintained a classic charm about them in their tunes.

Ok I'll stop gushing. Time to hit up eBay. A lot less painful than SNES collecting at least.

sn00zer

Okay so Ive narrowed it down to this (can only pick 1)
-RE2
-Jumping Flash
-Jumping Flash 2
-Medievil
-Fighting Force
-Parasite Eve 2
-DIno Crisis

tbh though all I reeally want is Crash, Spyro, and MML

vireland

Im surprised Sony hasnt figured out a way to make the process easier like they have with indies

It's not primarily a Sony problem. It's just that the licenses for all the games from the PS1 era are ancient by game standards and many of them were not designed to be that portable, so you may have a game where you're clear except for music, or you have a developer that had a publisher do their game at the time, but now own the IP again. Unfortunately, the original publisher's logo is on the boot screen and you can't hack it out (Sony allows no hacking - the ISOs have to be "as released and rated"), so you're at an impasse because the original publisher is gone or not cooperative to issue a license for that 5 second screen with their name.

There are plenty more examples, but that should give you an idea of the ridiculousness...it's not a straightforward process.

ScOULaris

Cherished this demo disk for mainly the Iraira-Bo (The Irritating Stick) demo.

LOVED that demo. Never bothered to find the whole game. Wish I still had that disk.

$(KGrHqZHJF!E88evqLyQBPbRbWcsVw~~60_57.JPG
I still have that demo disc, along with all of the other PlayStation Underground discs that I had as a kid. I love how they used to hide videos and even secret demos on those monthly discs. OPM would go on to continue the trend with their bundled demo discs. May they rest in peace. :'(

-RE2
-Jumping Flash
-Jumping Flash 2
-Medievil
-Fighting Force
-Parasite Eve 2
-DIno Crisis

The Jumping Flash games are both very short, so if length is an issue I would skip them for now. However, they are so original and crazy that you should check them out in the future!
If you can get Ghost in the Shell on PSN I would say go for it. It's by the same developer as Jumping Flash! but is a first-person/third-person shooter where you can climb on almost every surface inside a spider mech. On top of that it has quite a few high quality animated scenes including one of the best PS1 intros of all time and varied levels.

Danny Dudekisser

It's not primarily a Sony problem. It's just that the licenses for all the games from the PS1 era are ancient by game standards and many of them were not designed to be that portable, so you may have a game where you're clear except for music, or you have a developer that had a publisher do their game at the time, but now own the IP again. Unfortunately, the original publisher's logo is on the boot screen and you can't hack it out (Sony allows no hacking - the ISOs have to be "as released and rated"), so you're at an impasse because the original publisher is gone or not cooperative to issue a license for that 5 second screen with their name.

There are plenty more examples, but that should give you an idea of the ridiculousness...it's not a straightforward process.

And speaking as a lawyer, dealing with licensing agreements - especially short-sighted ones - is a fucking pain in the ass. Ugh. Sucks that Sony can't just be like "YOLO, bitch" and just release everything.

sn00zer

And speaking as a lawyer, dealing with licensing agreements - especially short-sighted ones - is a fucking pain in the ass. Ugh. Sucks that Sony can't just be like "YOLO, bitch" and just release everything.

My god....if they just released the entire PS1 library....
tear.jpg

That would be absolutely wonderful...

The Jumping Flash games are both very short, so if length is an issue I would skip them for now. However, they are so original and crazy that you should check them out in the future!
If you can get Ghost in the Shell on PSN I would say go for it. It's by the same developer as Jumping Flash! but is a first-person/third-person shooter where you can climb on almost every surface inside a spider mech. On top of that it has quite a few high quality animated scenes including one of the best PS1 intros of all time and varied levels.
Im on Vita if that matters...I dont see ghost in the SHell....okay if I was going to get 1 Jumping Flash game what would it be?

So how are the Fear Effect games these days? I didn't really play the second one, but I recall really liking the first one, and I have a predilection for RE-style games. Just not sure how well this series has aged...

never played the first but the second was hard as shit and the death scenes were harrowingly gruesome

Danny Dudekisser

My god....if they just released the entire PS1 library....
tear.jpg

That would be absolutely wonderful...

It would. Though, personally, I like having the originals, just cuz you avoid any potential emulation issues and there's no DRM potentially standing between you and your shit. But that's me.

Would be nice just so people who hear about a sweet PS1 game can at least check it out without it being a fucking hassle.

sn00zer

It would. Though, personally, I like having the originals, just cuz you avoid any potential emulation issues and there's no DRM potentially standing between you and your shit. But that's me.

Would be nice just so people who hear about a sweet PS1 game can at least check it out without it being a fucking hassle.
Im loving playing PS1 games on my Vita.... mst PS1 games dont really stand the test of time when compared to console games, but on a portable they are perfect....although my current dream is to ad adhoc/wifi multiplayer support to PS1 games....

Im on Vita if that matters...I dont see ghost in the SHell....okay if I was going to get 1 Jumping Flash game what would it be?

I haven't really looked into PSN's library yet (as I only picked up a PS3 recently), that game might be stuck in licensing hell since it was published by THQ in North America and it had the Ghost in the Shell license...

Anyway, as for Jumping Flash because it is so short I am not going to recommend it to you if you really want a Crash and / or Spyro. Just get one of those! Otherwise I'd say get both Jumping Flash games.

sn00zer

I haven't really looked into PSN's library yet (as I only picked up a PS3 recently), that game might be stuck in licensing hell since it was published by THQ in North America and it had the Ghost in the Shell license...

Anyway, as for Jumping Flash because it is so short I am not going to recommend it to you if you really want a Crash and / or Spyro. Just get one of those! Otherwise I'd say get both Jumping Flash games.

Alright getting Jumping Flash 2 thankls for the uggestion

EDIT: Vita doesnt have Crash or SPyro...which is ridiculous

Im loving playing PS1 games on my Vita.... mst PS1 games dont really stand the test of time when compared to console games, but on a portable they are perfect....although my current dream is to ad adhoc/wifi multiplayer support to PS1 games....

disagree, ps1 games stand the test of time very well given that game culture of the 90s is so different than what it is today

Going to have to start collecting this again. I think I owned a significant amount of whats considered the "classic" PS1 titles, but sold most of them as I moved digital. I think I'll end up buying most of them back, as for the most part PS1 games aren't that expensive.

Having been a gamer since the Atari 2600, I can easily say that the PS1 was the most "fun" system in retrospect. The sheer variety of titles was staggering. It was like the wild west with 3D, and for the people that grew up in the 80's and early 90's, we'll NEVER experience a gen that was as mindblowing as that 32/64 bit gen, and the PS1 led that charge. 3d worlds and a tone that moved gaming from toys to teens/adults was such a shift.

There's just something about PS1 games that has a charm about them. They didn't seem so "gritty" compared to PS2 games. They were raw, colorful, varied, and fun. Most didn't try to act like interactive movies, the music was a massive leap due to CDs yet many games still maintained a classic charm about them in their tunes.

Ok I'll stop gushing. Time to hit up eBay. A lot less painful than SNES collecting at least.
Very well said.

sn00zer

disagree, ps1 games stand the test of time very well given that game culture of the 90s is so different than what it is today
I would say modern games do UI much, much better than PS1 games....things like item management, screen layout have been studied extensively and the time has helped tremendously

There is also an overall lacking of quality in writing, especially with any translated games

And even the worst games of today are generally well polished

THats not to say that there arent some amazing PS1 games, but overall, pretty much any game you can find has been done better in another game since the original release

Danny Dudekisser

I would say modern games do UI much, much better than PS1 games....things like item management, screen layout have been studied extensively and the time has helped tremendously

There is also an overall lacking of quality in writing, especially with any translated games

And even the worst games of today are generally well polished

THats not to say that there arent some amazing PS1 games, but overall, pretty much any game you can find has been done better in another game since the original release

Naaah, I won't pretend like there haven't been advances in UI and stuff like that, but I'd argue that modern games aren't necessarily better, they're different. Different in terms of pacing, how cinematic they're trying to be, art/music styles, accessibility, etc. They were chasing different objectives back then. If current games genuinely did things better, nobody would be interested in playing PS1 games.

Looks like the only way ill get GitS now is if its released on the JPSN. I don't think there are any licensing problems overseas, which is why there are so many games in there. I wouldn't be surprised if there is a 90% complete library when everything is said and done

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Tell that to Xenoblade. Such an awful UI.

Translations are better nowadays, but overall the writing hasn't improved, IMO. FFtactics, Legacy of Kain and Panzer Dragoon Saga pretty much trounce any modern game story...

Disagreed completely. If that were true, we wouldn't be revisiting these classics because they'd be obsolete.

Teknoman

-RE2
-Jumping Flash
-Jumping Flash 2
-Medievil
-Fighting Force
-Parasite Eve 2
-DIno Crisis

Going against the grain, Parasite Eve 2.

Are the old school Gamestop PS1 memory cards dependable, because my friend found one. I know its free and all, but I still dont want a corrupt save.

Also if I had to get one Ridge Racer (best soundtrack, fun factor, etc) would it be Type 4?

Dereck

If your PS2 laser is good I recommend Free McBoot. You can make backups startup bootable using ESR, no menus have to be navigated to run backups. Also there's a method to run PS1 backups as well, you can map that software to a button.

I also have an external HDD, which is hit or miss. For instance I got my copy of Tekken 5 and copied the ISO onto my HDD which is FAT32, its works OK, but freezes randomly. Dat USB 1.1

IrishNinja

wooo...seeing any PSU disc is gonna take me back; i was giddy in college (and right before) when those things showed up in the mail. demos, memory card downloads, interviews and the occasional ginuwine video

Last week I started going nuts over wanting to get my PSX working again. Have just replaced the laser and it's working flawlessly. Such a shame that it looks like absolute garbage through composite AV cables on a large modern TV. I pretty much have to leave my collection at my parent's place due to lack of room in student accommodation.

I guess I can just play digital versions on PS3/discs on PS3 if they're not on PSN, but it's just not the same as using an original controller and memory card ._.

Damn my nostalgia.

I found Klonoa not long ago for $5 at a trash & treasure, so that was a pretty great find.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Isn't the only option for softmodding a PS2 slim the free mcboot thing? Which doesn't even work on the newest model PS2s (90001 series.)

I eventually just said "Fuck it," and bought a Japanese system. Having 2 PS2s is pretty much baller status.

This is what I did as well. Except I imported an american system after only owning a european one first.

i used this port alot for gameshark
313908543_tp.jpg

gameshark1.JPG

it was fun missing with games , and beat some games also
i remember playing RE1 for 3-5 month and didn't know where to go ( i was 10 and my english was so bad ) and i was missing a gem that can open the pool to underground ,so i put the code for that gem , and put the key for infinite rocket launcher

My gameshark never left my PSOne and it is still stuck in there so many good times breaking games.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
My gameshark was stuck there as well, but then my original PS1 stopped reading discs and I had to get a new one who lacked the port for it :(

It's definitely on my "most fun" list. The consoles I have the fonded memories of are:

ColecoVision
Genesis
PS1
Dreamcast

flyover

My gameshark never left my PSOne and it is still stuck in there so many good times breaking games.

Yep. Still got mine, too. Sounds silly, but I think my biggest problem with subsequent console generations is the lack of an easy way to break and tweak games.

I don't think the hardware companies or the the game developers/publishers understood that, for certain users, GameShark actually added value to their product.

A really clever developer would add a tool to hack (single-player offline) game data as DLC to each of their games. I'd buy it for a ton of titles.

hipgnosis

My meagre PS collection. Mostly stuff from back at the time, though I've picked a few up more recently.
Sure wish I knew where Crash 1, 3, The Unholy War and Future Cop LAPD got to though :|

Nice stuff there! Klonoa Door to Phantomile is a godly platformer. So charming and fun. It really is a forgotten classic that is up there with the best of the genre.

Yuterald

Been playing PSone stuff for the past week or so and I've been having the most fun I've had all year playing games. Here's my current lineup:

Alundra: Replaying this for the umpteenth time. It's been awhile since I've given this game a "complete" playthough. Going for all Gilded Falcons, Life Vessels, max inventory, etc. since I don't have a 100% save file for this game anymore. Just finished Giles dream. Game is so much better than I remembered. It's still the best Zelda game that isn't a Zelda game, lol! I have so much more appreciation for this game too after finally playing Landstalker for the first time last summer.

Jersey Devil: Just bought this recently and am now 30% through the game. I actually didn't care for this too much at the start, but the more I played the more I'm digging it. It's actually a fairly competent 3D platformer, despite trying to ride that Crash Bandicoot wave (the boxes/crates you break in this game look awfully familiar). Some of the stages house some clever platforming and they're are always throwing new ideas at you too. It's crazy that I find myself more engaged by this game than a modern day "platformer" like Sly Cooper 4: Thieves in Time.

PowerSlave: I believe this is a PC port, but I've had it for years and I finally decided to pop it in the other day. Not sure how far I am, but I love every second of it. I think the Doom-era FPS is my favorite still. There's so much fun exploration in this game. Over the course of the game you find artifacts which grant you new powers/abilities that let you backtrack to old areas and uncover new routes or find hidden items (like Max HP ups and Transmitter pieces). Next to Deus Ex, I think this is my favorite FPS, lol! They REALLY don't make them like this anymore.

Ace Combat 2: This game is incredible to me. The jump from 1 to 2 is staggering. Game looks and feels solid as shit. I feel like the second game is where this series established itself. The missions are BREEZY-time-central too, you can blast through these missions! So quick, fun, and easy to play. Glad they introduced Expert control scheme in this one as well because I love yawing!

I might make a video of my PSone collection today too. It's actually not where I want it to be right now, but I feel like it's getting there again. We'll see.

was over at my parents house today and dug out my sick ass scph-1001 model manufactured in february of 1996

laser doesn't work though :(

I really miss the abundant of good Pro Wrestling games that use to be released during that era. Power Move Pro Wrestling, Fire Pro etc. What happened to Wrestling in Japan? is it not popular anymore? There use to be many Japanese wrestling games to import back in the day.

1262419-fire_prowrestling_g_jap_front.jpg

One of my personal favorites. I bought this in some grimy ass place in Times Square (back when cool places were still around) after i've heard about it in magazines on how it had all the WCW guys and WWF guys. I had to buy it and it was amazing.

Borman

I really want to own one of the blue debug units. (a net yaroze too for that matter)
I see them every now and then on ebay. I think I'll go for the next one.

Blue ones are tough since they usually (the early ones anyway) require an external power supply. I owned a green one for a while. Now I just have the PS2 TEST.

IMG_7316.png

(Mine was ugly, but cheap. Obviously had it on lock-down over at Acclaim)

AwRy108

My PSOne collection (all game are like-new unless otherwise noted):

CONSOLE: PSone w/ official LCD screen attachment

GAMES:
  • Ape Escape
  • Castlevania - SofN
  • Chrono Cross (GH)
  • Colony Wars
  • Crash Team Racing (GH)
  • Disruptor (no manual other than front cover)
  • Ehrgeiz (back page of manual is missing)
  • Final Fantasy Anthology
  • Final Fantasy VII
  • Final Fantasy VIII (GH)
  • Final Fantasy IX (GH)
  • Gekido - Urban Fighters (no manual)
  • Gex - Enter the Gecko
  • The Legend of Dragoon
  • Mega Man Legends (GH)
  • Mega Man X6
  • Metal Gear Solid
  • Metal Gear Solid - VR Missions
  • NFL Blitz
  • Omega Boost
  • Parasite Eve
  • Pocket Fighter
  • Rollcage Stage II
  • Sled Storm
  • Spyro - Year of the Dragon
  • Star Gladiator
  • Street Fighter Alpha (long box)
  • Street Fighter Alpha 3
  • Street Fighter Collection
  • Street Fighter Collection 2
  • Street Fighter - EX Plus Alpha
  • Street Fighter - The Movie (long box)
  • Syphon Filter 3
  • TEKKEN (GH)
  • TEKKEN 2 (GH)
  • TEKKEN 3 (GH)
  • Tenchu - Stealth Assassins (GH)
  • Wild 9
  • Wrestlemania - The Arcade Game (GH)

I also own all but a few of the PSOne games available on the US PSN Store.  Hoping the Vita Memory Cards get bigger AND cheaper so I can buy one big one for all my PSOne games...

Thanks to Street Fighter II on the SNES (which, BTW, I paid $75+ for...), I spent much of my youth obsessed with fighting games. Like nearly every other kid in America that was may age, Nintendo was synonymous with videogames for me, so I asked for an N64 w/ Mario 64 (one of the best games EVER) and Killer Instinct Gold. Well, Killer Instinct Gold--as great as it was--is not a very deep fighting game, so I had mastered it in no time and was desperately in need of another fighter... Enter, SONY's PlayStation and TEKKEN.

I bought my original PSOne with high school graduation money in 1997, and, because I was able to spend my summer earning a paycheck, I no longer had to wait for Christmas and my birthday to be able to get new games. Three months later, at the advice of my parents, I decided to leave my console behind for my first semester at college; thankfully, I met a fellow gamer from Indonesia who brought his, so we spent many, many hours playing TEKKEN 2 and TEKKEN 3. I also LOVED: MGS, Ape Escape, CTR, NFL Blitz, SotN, FFVII (couldn't get in to FFVIII or FFIX at the time), and, of course, Street Fighter Alpha 3, which I managed to clock in over 60 hours with. Many years later, thanks to the awesome PSOne emulator on the SONY handhelds, I've also been able to enjoy some of the classics I missed on my first go-around, especially the wonderful Spyro series from Insomniac Games.

The PSOne holds an incredibly dear place in my heart far for several reasons: 1) the huge 3rd-party support that Nintendo had been slowly alienating due to their iron grip on the market; 2) the much more reasonable cost of games compared to Nintendo's cart-based consoles; 3) CG video; 4) red-book audio; 5) JRPG's; and 5) it introduced me to the TEKKEN series. Because of the PSOne, the PlayStation brand has been my go-to brand ever since, despite SONY's numerous mis-steps (especially with the PS3). I'm not sure what the future holds for SONY and the PlayStation brand, but I know that I'll be with them through the bitter end... :)

Top Bottom