• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS1 Appreciation/Collectors Thread of Ugly-Ass Polygons

Yuterald

Is Blasto actually any good? I remember renting it, but have no idea if it was any fun lol.

I hated Blasto back in the day, but maybe today I would have a better appreciation for it. I just remembered preferring Crash, Spyro, Gex, and even something like Croc over it. I think you collected babes in it or something, lol! That's all I can remember about it. I might pick it up again one of these days, but I remember it not sitting too well with me.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Is Blasto actually any good? I remember renting it, but have no idea if it was any fun lol.

I hated Blasto back in the day, but maybe today I would have a better appreciation for it. I just remembered preferring Crash, Spyro, Gex, and even something like Croc over it. I think you collected babes in it or something, lol! That's all I can remember about it. I might pick it up again one of these days, but I remember it not sitting too well with me.

Nobody liked Blasto when it came out.

Nobody will like it today.

damn hellnight sounds badass

another title along those lines is the ridiculously ambitious mizzurna falls by human entertainment, i imagine swery used the basis of this game as a template for deadly premonition since it has a similar feel to its gameplay based on the videos

tumblr_lfifibwiHL1qzqgkn.jpg

Are there horror vibes underneath it, like with Twin Peaks?

I posted this in the trade thread already, but thought I'd post it here since it relates to PS1. I'm trying to complete my disc only games that I bought years ago when Gamestop was running their 75% clearance of PS1 games. If you have a list of the cover art, manuals or both, please send me a PM.

Danny Dudekisser

I really like the music in PS1 games. A lot. It was a perfect storm of hardware that could actually produce decent sound for a change, and a certain musical style that's less prevalent these days. I made a playlist (that I'm still adding stuff to) of good music from PS1 games:

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLl5r16yilf7L6Pyz3VjuMS4xgK47DRNpP

And my taste in music is great. Totally. I tried to get some of the more interesting music from PS1 games rather than just the obvious stuff, and wanted to put together something one could legitimately just put on in the background and leave running to the end.

buying ps1 lots on ebay is such a pain in the ass

it's typically a bunch of sports games for 20 bucks buy it now or either a bundle with mostly crap save for final fantasy vii and they start bidding at 80 dollars

Any love for Silent Bomber? The gameplay was just amazing. I never got to the end however, it just got too hard.

Also, for those anime fans out there, the Hokuto no Ken brawler is tops.

I really like the music in PS1 games. A lot. It was a perfect storm of hardware that could actually produce decent sound for a change, and a certain musical style that's less prevalent these days. I made a playlist (that I'm still adding stuff to) of good music from PS1 games:

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLl5r16yilf7L6Pyz3VjuMS4xgK47DRNpP

And my taste in music is great. Totally. I tried to get some of the more interesting music from PS1 games rather than just the obvious stuff, and wanted to put together something one could legitimately just put on in the background and leave running to the end.

had your playlist on in the background while doing thesis work this morning like a total nerdlinger

great stuff, so many japanese ps1 soundtracks were profoundly influenced by jazz fusion music

Danny Dudekisser

had your playlist on in the background while doing thesis work this morning like a total nerdlinger

great stuff, so many japanese ps1 soundtracks were profoundly influenced by jazz fusion music

Yeah, I love me some jazz fusion.

I'll add a bunch more stuff to the playlist when I get the chance, because there are tons of games I didn't even have in there.

Borman

4 games should be here today! Ridge Racer, Ridge Racer Revolution, WWF Warzone, and Die Hard Trilogy. Bid on Rage Racer from the same person and got sniped :( Tobal 2 should be here in a week or two.

KageMaru

4 games should be here today! Ridge Racer, Ridge Racer Revolution, WWF Warzone, and Die Hard Trilogy. Bid on Rage Racer from the same person and got sniped :( Tobal 2 should be here in a week or two.

I'm disappointed I never played Tobal 2. I didn't care for Tobal 1 but Tobal 2 looked amazing back then. Maybe one of these days I'll have a chance to try it.

Borman

I have one of these (and my PS3...) to play games on
HS4dNdJ.png

Edit : Also playing some Malice on my PSP (Game is unreleased, but quite good!)
nx58pgL.jpg

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
The PS1 was such a great system, by far the best one from Sony IMO. Too bad we will probably never see a home console have such an diversity in its library ever again.

Anyways, what happend to the "play 1 PS1-game each month" thing that was going on? Is that still going strong?

ok, whats going on here. I check this and people are talking about this incredibly interesting looking games. Any of those weird Japanese adventure mystery games ever come out here.

Saw a hilarious sight yesterday at my nearby Goodwill, they had a PS1 for sale with 20 games for 200 bucks.

And all of the games were super common games like Crash or Spyro that you see anywhere and for dirt cheap.

Saw a hilarious sight yesterday at my nearby Goodwill, they had a PS1 for sale with 20 games for 200 bucks.

And all of the games were super common games like Crash or Spyro that you see anywhere and for dirt cheap.

That's extremely ridiculous. For that price it'd need to have Suikoden 2 and Tron Bonne in it.

I recommend Crime Crackers 1&2

Anime Cartoony Doom style FPS game where you can switch between 4 or 5 characters on the fly. Pretty neat idea and would love for a Crime Crackers 3, but that will never happen.

I think it was also Sony developed and it never left Japan.

Both games are available on the JPSN

Fox Mulder

I just got point blank 2 and time crisis in the mail with two GunCons.

XsYvj2h.jpg

I literally haven't played a light gun game since duck hunt. I really don't know how I skipped over them all these years.

I know this is a PS1 thread but this is still mostly on-topic:

I'm thinking about buying a PS2, both for PS2 and PS1 games. Is eBay still the go-to? Best prices? What should I aim to pay? Any models to avoid?

Pretty much every PS1 game will work in a PS2, right?

The Playstation and Playstation 2 represent the biggest gaps in my gaming history. I never had a PS1, and only had a PS2 for like 6 months before it got stolen and I got an Xbox to replace it :(

Danny Dudekisser

I know this is a PS1 thread but this is still mostly on-topic:

I'm thinking about buying a PS2, both for PS2 and PS1 games. Is eBay still the go-to? Best prices? What should I aim to pay? Any models to avoid?

Pretty much every PS1 game will work in a PS2, right?

The Playstation and Playstation 2 represent the biggest gaps in my gaming history. I never had a PS1, and only had a PS2 for like 6 months before it got stolen and I got an Xbox to replace it :(

PS2 slim has more PS1 games that it won't play properly. Here's a list, though I'm not entirely sure how accurate it is:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_PlayStation_games_incompatible_with_PlayStation_2

I know that some games only have issues if you try running them with the PS2's fast load or filtering thing turned on. Though I don't believe that list makes a note of that.

PS2 slim has more PS1 games that it won't play properly. Here's a list, though I'm not entirely sure how accurate it is:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_PlayStation_games_incompatible_with_PlayStation_2

I know that some games only have issues if you try running them with the PS2's fast load or filtering thing turned on. Though I don't believe that list makes a note of that.
Cool, thanks. None of these are games I'm interested, so if this is accurate I'm OK.

Except it does say the non-slim model has problems with Final Fantasy Tactics, which I would like to own. What's up with that? Does it work on a slim?

Danny Dudekisser

Cool, thanks. None of these are games I'm interested, so if this is accurate I'm OK.

Except it does say the non-slim model has problems with Final Fantasy Tactics, which I would like to own. What's up with that? Does it work on a slim?

Can't speak for all models, but I've heard of people playing Tactics on a slim just fine.

I just bought a copy of chrono cross from amazon for 15 bucks, and the most amizing thing about this is that the discs are not black??????? Did Sony put out greatest hits games with silver backs instead of the black backs?

Danny Dudekisser

I just bought a copy of chrono cross from amazon for 15 bucks, and the most amizing thing about this is that the discs are not black??????? Did Sony put out greatest hits games with silver backs instead of the black backs?

Yeah, a later release of the game used silver discs.

I remember back in "the day", people thought the thing that told the PS1 you were playing a legit game was that the back of the discs were black. Ha!

Though black discs were sweeeeeeeeeeeeet. Almost as sweet as blue PS2 discs.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace

Nooo Tomba wont work properly? I just bought that for a fortune from a friend of mine :(

damn the 75001 is incompatible with some significant games

thank god i've got a 70001

also while we're on the topic has anyone here softmodded their ps2 slims for imports? thinking about doing it myself.

Danny Dudekisser

damn the 75001 is incompatible with some significant games

thank god i've got a 70001

also while we're on the topic has anyone here softmodded their ps2 slims for imports? thinking about doing it myself.

Isn't the only option for softmodding a PS2 slim the free mcboot thing? Which doesn't even work on the newest model PS2s (90001 series.)

I eventually just said "Fuck it," and bought a Japanese system. Having 2 PS2s is pretty much baller status.

Some new PS1 games!

1Xteme is the GH version, but I don't care. The original is way too expensive and rare and I was just curious to play it. I had played the crap out of it on my old launch demo disc.

And of course the 2 Ace Combats I didn't own already, 2 and 3!

9ShAWgj.jpg

And I'm waiting on another game I ordered - Resident Evil: Director's Cut. The original release, not the crappy Dual Shock edition. (They changed the music in that one.)

Isn't the only option for softmodding a PS2 slim the free mcboot thing? Which doesn't even work on the newest model PS2s (90001 series.)

I eventually just said "Fuck it," and bought a Japanese system. Having 2 PS2s is pretty much baller status.

yeah but the mcboot thing isn't all that complicated, just need stickytac, a flash drive and a black label copy of 007 agent under fire to get it to work

i think i may just get a swapmagic disc tho

Danny Dudekisser

yeah but the mcboot thing isn't all that complicated, just need stickytac, a flash drive and a black label copy of 007 agent under fire to get it to work

i think i may just get a swapmagic disc tho

lol, that already sounds like a lot of bullshit.

And then you have to navigate through menus and shit :(

And don't you have to make a backup of the game you're playing in order to get it to work?

I got real tired of all that swap disc shit back when Clinton was in office.

ScOULaris

Seeing all of these beautiful jewel case photos is awakening the collector in me. For the sake of my wallet, I'd better not start searching for rare PS1 games on eBay.

Even though I already have Vagrant Story on PSN, I wouldn't mind owning a physical copy...

Yes Boss!

That is where I finally arrived to. Had the common sense to pick up both a new Japanese and American Slim a few years back mainly for PS1 playback. It is way better than using the shitty swap-disc trick (which I was doing for a bit). Plus two slims look great together...baller indeed.

Kinda lurking this thread as I'm never been a big PS1/PS2/Sony user, simply because I was out of games for the the most part in the late nineties and early 2000s with college and early career stuff. Catching up on a lot of the classics on PSN. A surprising selection and they play so great on a PSP/Vita.

Top Bottom