• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS1 Appreciation/Collectors Thread of Ugly-Ass Polygons

Timu

So I'm thinking of doing a chronological playthrough of all Batman games (tentatively titled Chron-Batman) and it turns out the Batman Forever arcade game ports are expensive! I've never even seen the game, so I guess that's why. Anyone out there interested in selling their complete PS copy for a reasonable price? Worth a try.

There are like a million different versions of each Batman game that came out, all pretty different. Kind of nuts that there was very, very little around until the 1989 movie. I expected at least some shit Batman Atari game.
Funny enough the DOS version is very cheap.

Mzo

Didn't mean to derail the thread, but yeah I'm playing the Amstrad CPC/Spectrum ZX/MSX game right now since it's the first. It's so abstract and bizarre. Going to play all the versions, but I'm liking the Amstrad one the most so far.

I want to write up a checklist for when I talk about these games, something like:

Are you vengeance?
No, there's no combat at all and touching everything kills you.

Are you the night?
There are no stealth or detective elements at all.

Are you Batman?
You might actually be a child in Batman pajamas and socks. Or the Bat-Mite.

Can you kill people?
There are no human enemies in this game.

Huge thanks to Teknoman for sending me a copy of Medievil! That was really really awesome of you. I never got to play the full game, only the demo but I loved it back then. I guess I'll have to buy the sequel now, huh? Ahah!

Just booted it. So much nostalgia :D

Again, thank you!!!

Huge thanks to Teknoman for sending me a copy of Medievil! That was really really awesome of you. I never got to play the full game, only the demo but I loved it back then. I guess I'll have to buy the sequel now, huh? Ahah!

Just booted it. So much nostalgia :D

Again, thank you!!!

Teknoman is awesome

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
I also got a great gift from Teknoman today, thanks alot man, you are indeed awesome! Will finally be able to check out that DC of the original Resident Evil!

AmyS

off-topic from PS1, but still PS1-era. Namco's Prop Cycle and Rave Racer arcade games:

X7UbHSz.jpg

Prop Cycle 60fps emulation https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CaUPVbKdsG4

These should have been launch games on PS2 with much higher fidelity graphics.

I went back to my homecountry and while checking my collection I realized I have an unopened copy of Wipeout XL
Around 2003-4 I bought a US PSOne cause I wanted to play FFT, and then I bought Wipeout

Considering that now I live in Japan and I use a PS2 for playing PS1 games (and also I already have Wipeout 2097 and Wip3out), how much I could ask for that brand new Wipeout XL ?

NDPsycho

I went back to my homecountry and while checking my collection I realized I have an unopened copy of Wipeout XL
Around 2003-4 I bought a US PSOne cause I wanted to play FFT, and then I bought Wipeout

Considering that now I live in Japan and I use a PS2 for playing PS1 games (and also I already have Wipeout 2097 and Wip3out), how much I could ask for that brand new Wipeout XL ?

Looks like there are plenty available around $90 (1 on ebay and 5+ on Amazon) , so it would depend on how fast you wanted it to go.

Cogwheels

Neo Member
As someone who missed out on PS1 back in the day (I was N64 all the way), I do have to say that it's a lot of fun to discover. A lot of games have aged far better than people give the machine credit for.

I also think I have enough RPGs to last me the rest of my life now :)

What are peoples best scores in terms on PS1 deals? Last year I picked up a bundle of 12 NTSC games (all complete and mint) + a console for about £100 - best of all those 12 games included Klonoa, Valkyrie Profile, Saga Frontier 2 + Strider 2!

I really want to get a copy of Vanark next, but that seems elusive.

IrishNinja

yeah, i was mostly playing PSX RPG's on my phatty PS3 (RIP) and thought things were fine..then i booted up Um Jammer Lammy, and the problem was made clear pretty fast

Teknoman

As someone who missed out on PS1 back in the day (I was N64 all the way), I do have to say that it's a lot of fun to discover. A lot of games have aged far better than people give the machine credit for.

I also think I have enough RPGs to last me the rest of my life now :)

What are peoples best scores in terms on PS1 deals? Last year I picked up a bundle of 12 NTSC games (all complete and mint) + a console for about £100 - best of all those 12 games included Klonoa, Valkyrie Profile, Saga Frontier 2 + Strider 2!

I really want to get a copy of Vanark next, but that seems elusive.

Im salty about Vanark. It was pretty cheap early this year, then just jumped for no reason. No hidden gems videos, no reviews, no popular streamers/podcasts or anything. Just...boom.

Still gonna get it lol.

Is the PSP better to play PS1 games on than the PSVita? Are the scanlines bigger that makes it better or something?

There's a decent set of PS1 games you can't play on Vita due to compatibility list shenanigans. All the Crash and Spyro games can't be played on Vita for example. There are other games that you have to transfer via a PS3 to play on Vita. I think there are some newer PS1 downloads that can't play on PSP, though.

Other than that the PSP can do TV-out to 240p which makes it nice for PSN downloaded PS1 games. For the PSP Go this is especially nice since you can just hook up a PS3 controller. I prefer to just rip the games and burn them to play on an actual PS1 for 100% compatibility but PSP isn't a bad option.

Is the PSP better to play PS1 games on than the PSVita? Are the scanlines bigger that makes it better or something?

Ps1 games do look better on the psp screen due to scanlines and also because it's a smaller display.

Vita has no scanlines and as others have said it's compatibility is also quite limiting without hacking it (very hard to do)

televator

Ps1 games do look better on the psp screen due to scanlines and also because it's a smaller display.

Vita has no scanlines and as others have said it's compatibility is also quite limiting without hacking it (very hard to do)

PSP screen doesn't display scanlines. The TV out cable can when fed to a CRT or a Framemeister.

Rayman 2:

Never played the version of that game. I've haven't actually started playing it. Is the game still a good experience on PS1? What should I expect?

I remember liking PS1 version, but at the time I played it I was a huge Rayman fanboy in general, so it's hard to say, honestly. The level streamlining as well as the voiced story work out alright in comparison to regular PC/DC/N64 version. Performance seemed worse but not to the level of bothering me.

televator

I thought this was a common complaint with PSP 3Ks

It had a different pixel arrangement and I guess it just looked off somehow. Still... no scanlines, no matter what PSP model. Fixed pixel = no scanlines. There may be visible gaps in the pixel matrix, but those aren't scanlines.

televator

I thought they did something similar to interlacing on the image to make ghosting less noticable.

Afiak, it's a huge misunderstanding on the general public with the term "interlacing." They see dark lines and they think "Oh, no, interlacing."

Here:
psp-lcd-comparo-600.jpg

You see the dark blue pixels? They create a "scan line" look, which I suppose for all intents and purposes can be called scanlines as much as any scan line generator now that I think about it.

So I change my statement. The PSP 3k generates scanlines. Though I suppose it loses that effect in blue areas of a picture.

Mzo

The PSP doesn't support the analog stick in PS1 games. It just remaps the dpad to the nub, but there are no degrees to it. You can really tell in a game like Parasite Eve. That makes the Vita better for them imo.

Timu

The PSP doesn't support the analog stick in PS1 games. It just remaps the dpad to the nub, but there are no degrees to it. You can really tell in a game like Parasite Eve. That makes the Vita better for them imo.
Thankfully the PSP Go supports DS3 so analog support will be fine there.

The 3k has visible scanlines like an LCD monitor has visible individual pixels. If you look real close like you want to screw up your eyes, they're there.

Never noticed it without looking for it on mine. Still looks better than the 2k screen, and the go is uncomfortable for anything involving the triggers.

Mzo

You can see it more in 2D stuff for some reason, but it's still better than the 2k imo as well. It's there but it's nothing to worry about.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I think Zanac X Zanac and Adventures of Little Ralph are the last expensive PS1 games I need... pretty much. I got the Suikodens, got Valkyrie Profile, and I have pretty much all the other RPGs I want... so, it's basically down to those in terms of the pricey stuff.

Feels good to not have to worry about getting ahold of too much more.

psylah

There was a PS1 game that was top-down, slightly isometric that had a police vehicle that would transform into a walking mech. I thought it was G-Police, but then I bought G-Police, and it was not G-Police.

Anyone remember what that game that might have been? I saw it played on Giant Bomb a long time ago.

psylah

If you're a fan of cars, drifting, or drifting cars, I'd like to suggest the great arcade racer Side by Side Special / Special 2000:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IBPnyTY6x8
Video is of the game on Very hard, on the Route 33 Shibukawa-Matsuida Line on Mt. Haruna, a.k.a. "Mt. Akina" of Initial D fame. He is playing with a NegCon controller. He's showing both versions of the game, along with the Replay views below their respective versions.

Taito has a history of great drifting / touge racing games, this particular game never came to the US in this form, but was developed into the first Battle Gear arcade machine, which was how I was first exposed to it. The series has been called Battle Gear ever since.

Battle Gear would go on to have 5 more entries, not including revisions within the numbered variants. There were a few machines near me, up to BG3, but they've disappeared much as the arcades have.

sfedai0

Banned
I just spent a ass load on Einhander. What have I done?? Actually hyped since this was one of the few AAA games I didnt play back in the day.

NDPsycho

I just spent a ass load on Einhander. What have I done?? Actually hyped since this was one of the few AAA games I didnt play back in the day.

If you're going to spend an ass load, at least it was on a game that is worth it. Can't go wrong with most shooters or rpg's.

Top Bottom