• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS1 Appreciation/Collectors Thread of Ugly-Ass Polygons

Couple of games I played this week

8877751833_866d39e2b9_b.jpg

8878368596_0fecc01c61_b.jpg

Teras Kasi was fucking gash as far as fighting games go, but my friend and I had a blast picking Hoar in versus just to hear the announcer say 'Whore'. It was funny as hell to us at the time.

The PlayStation has native support for RGB. In fact, the pins are wired to the same as the component pins on the PS2/3. What this means is that, using a PS2 component cable, you get an RGB signal. It is then a simple matter of converting it to component for use on the TV. I have no idea what converter one would use for this.

Any instructions on how to do that?

Yuterald

Got my Jumping Flash! 2 in the mail yesterday and played up until the 3rd world. Game's got some nice new visual effects compared to the original. The trees sway in the breeze, flags blow in the air, and the world design seems a lot more defined. There's also a really interesting underwater screen filter when you dive into pools. I love seeing all the little updates/details to direct sequels from this era of gaming. It may seem laughable/insignificant today, but I find these small graphical "updates" fascinating. It still feels VERY similar to the first game, almost like an expansion pack though. But I guess if nothing's broken, why fix it? There's an interesting "Achievement"-like system in the game where you can earn Medals depending on meeting certain stage criteria too. Seems like it has a lot more replay value than the first. Loving it so far. Looking forward to playing more of it!

kaiju

Got my Jumping Flash! 2 in the mail yesterday and played up until the 3rd world. Game's got some nice new visual effects compared to the original. The trees sway in the breeze, flags blow in the air, and the world design seems a lot more defined. There's also a really interesting underwater screen filter when you dive into pools. I love seeing all the little updates/details to direct sequels from this era of gaming. It may seem laughable/insignificant today, but I find these small graphical "updates" fascinating. It still feels VERY similar to the first game, almost like an expansion pack though. But I guess if nothing's broken, why fix it? There's an interesting "Achievement"-like system in the game where you can earn Medals depending on meeting certain stage criteria too. Seems like it has a lot more replay value than the first. Loving it so far. Looking forward to playing more of it!

Funny you mention JF2, I got it just last week as well. Awesome 3D world for an early PS1 title. I played the first one just a tad, but not sure how I missed this one when it was released. Love the graphical style in this game.

Toxa

Formula 1 '97 is considered the best on PS1 (it's called F1 Championship Edition in the US, but not to be confused with the PS3's F1 Championship edition). It was developed by Bizarre Creations, who went on to make the Project Gotham/MSR titles.

PAL version left/North American right

CnOE7mF.jpg

best F1 game ever with EA F1 2001 (PS2) and F1 2006 (PS3)

ah, so another specialty cord, then? man i really need that retro game accessories chick on ebay to come back from hiatus.

Does she even make them? Haven't see any ps stuff up on that store. Know that you would also probably want to get a cable with extra side inputs on it to plug light guns into, if you are into the games that use them.

Get a ps1 RGB Scart cable, then plug that into a converting box. Something like this. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004XSSDPO/?tag=neogaf0e-20

But really I don't know how worth it all that would be to just switch to component, as I don't know how well the ps2/3 plays ps1 games. Since those systems have native component support and official cables for it that you wouldn't need all the extra junk for. But then again ymmv since I do know that some tvs have problems with playing ps1 games over a ps2 though component.

Only reason I even asked about RGB cables is because I have a tv that has RGB input. Wanted to see if anyone has any knowledge on good places to get cables, and if I could use any PS RGB cable on the ps1, such as one made for ps2. Sort of how you can use the ps3 component cable on a ps2.

Funny you mention JF2, I got it just last week as well. Awesome 3D world for an early PS1 title. I played the first one just a tad, but not sure how I missed this one when it was released. Love the graphical style in this game.

Best in the series, never liked too much Robbit Mon Dieu. The first one is still awesome, i still don't understand why the series is so underground right now considering that the first title was revolutionary as a 3D platform (it was released before Super Mario 64).

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Teras Kasi was fucking gash as far as fighting games go, but my friend and I had a blast picking Hoar in versus just to hear the announcer say 'Whore'. It was funny as hell to us at the time.

I didn't know the word "whore" at the time, but I'm sure I would have enjoyed the game more if i knew that.

Teras Kasi seemed awesome when it came out, just because "HOLY SHIT STAR WARS FIGHTING GAME." And fighting games were dat piff back in 1997. But when I finally got a Playstation and rented the game, I was wondering why the fights took like 30 minutes and also sucked.

Kainazzo

Does she even make them?

She used to, I bought one about a year ago before she went on vacation. Looks like she hasn't offered them since.

I bought a no-name backup on eBay that also works on my NA system, and there are others like this too. If you can take an RGB signal, you don't need a component adapter. Her PS1 cable worked fine with my PS2, but I haven't tried the backup on my PS1. I imagine it works though, looks to be wired the same way.

Her cable is gold plated and of slightly higher quality, but the backup seems to have just as good of a picture.

kaiju

Star Gladiator was so much better as a fighting game than this, which was funny because it basically copied the Star Wars universe and then some. It's a very underrated fighting game by Capcom, although it hasn't aged that well.

4444tsd1.jpg

Zing

Banned

Have to find an RGB to component converter that accepts RCA jacks as input.

In case my original post wasn't clear (people are asking where to get cables), literally any PS2/PS3 component cable will output RGB when connected to a PS1. I'm not sure, but I think the system uses sync on green.

literally any PS2/PS3 component cable will output RGB when connected to a PS1. I'm not sure, but I think the system uses sync on green.

Interesting. I didn't think the ps1 system supported straight component. Are you sure about that? Know it does RGB but that is completely different.

Star Gladiator was so much better as a fighting game than this, which was funny because it basically copied the Star Wars universe and then some. It's a very underrated fighting game by Capcom, although it hasn't aged that well.

4444tsd1.jpg

I actually re-bought Star Gladiator a few months ago when I suddenly remembered it existed and had to have it again. It really hasn't aged well at all.

Is the Dreamcast sequel any good?

Zing

Banned
Interesting. I didn't think the ps1 system supported straight component. Are you sure about that? Know it does RGB but that is completely different.
You misunderstand. No, the PS1 does not output component. The pins in the multi-av connector, however are wired for RGB on the exact same cables as the standard Sony component cable. If you connect a component cable, the signal on the wires will be RGB. You can then connect it to an RGB monitor, or use a transcoder to convert the signal to component and connect to a regular TV.

I was just pointing this out because some people think you need a fancy third party cable (scart or otherwise) to get RGB. It may still be easier to use a scart cable since there are a few scart to component converters, but this way you can use a first party cable. The component cable also makes it easy if your RGB inputs are RCA jacks.

You misunderstand. No, the PS1 does not output component. The pins in the multi-av connector, however are wired for RGB on the exact same cables as the standard Sony component cable. If you connect a component cable, the signal on the wires will be RGB. You can then connect it to an RGB monitor, or use a transcoder to convert the signal to component and connect to a regular TV.

I was just pointing this out because some people think you need a fancy third party cable (scart or otherwise) to get RGB. It may still be easier to use a scart cable since there are a few scart to component converters, but this way you can use a first party cable. The component cable also makes it easy if your RGB inputs are RCA jacks.

Oh thank you. That would indeed make this much easier since I know I have a PS3 component cable around somewhere. My RGB inputs are BNC though, but it is easy enough to go get some BNC -> phono adapters to test this out. Thanks.

Into

Speaking of Die Hard Trilogy

Did anyone find any use for the strafe shoulder buttons? You can kinda stand next to a doorway and strafe while you pick guys out, but in a full firefight it just does not protect you.

The best tactic seems to just watch the radar like a hawk and just shoot guys before they even spot you, as you can kill people before they are even barely in your vision.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
not really.

Personally, I thought Plasma Sword was a better game than Star Gladiator was, but it was still pretty average. Really flashy at the time, which was cool. It was kind of disappointing that all of the unlockable characters were just palette swaps of the regular cast, though.

It was a fun game, but definitely not Capcom's best.

Afro

Thought these pics would be appreciated here. I decided to paint and mod a few of the audiophile Playstations (model SCPH-1001). I use mine exclusively for music, but games sound beautiful too.

This is a matte black one I sold a while back. The modifications are:

• Blue power indicator LED.
• Sorbothane® vibration isolation feet.
• Muting transistors lifted.
• Entire laser assembly replaced with one of higher quality and adjusted to ideal specs (intensity, bias, and gain).

IrishNinja

^sharp!

You went back to play Die Hard Trilogy?! Sorry to hear that. The fake Samuel L Jackson is hilarious though.

why are people slagging on die heard trilogy? loved those games

Speaking of Die Hard Trilogy

Did anyone find any use for the strafe shoulder buttons? You can kinda stand next to a doorway and strafe while you pick guys out, but in a full firefight it just does not protect you.

The best tactic seems to just watch the radar like a hawk and just shoot guys before they even spot you, as you can kill people before they are even barely in your vision.

yeah, that was pretty much my tactic too...i was able to beat it that way, along with 2 - never 3 though!

Thought these pics would be appreciated here. I decided to paint and mod a few of the audiophile Playstations (model SCPH-1001). I use mine exclusively for music, but games sound beautiful too.

• Entire laser assembly replaced with one of higher quality and adjusted to ideal specs (intensity, bias, and gain).

I remember reading about those first model consoles being sought after by audiophiles, quite cool. Those mods look super nice too!

Also, holy crap I remember Overboard! Thanks for reminding me it exists!
I do remember it having awkward birds-eye-view, and not being the best game ever though.

Gangxxter

Overboard! was a really neat game, the gameplay is pretty unique. And the intro was so damn funny!
But the best part of Overboard! was the multiplayer. I played a lot of deathmatches with my sister back in the day and we had so much fun!

Yuterald

Yo, can anyone who owns Ace Combat 3 & a PS3 real fast try saving their data while playing the game on their PS3? I just booted up AC3 for the first time tonight on my PS3 and when I go to save the game nothing happens. My digital memory card isn't full and I've definitely assigned it to a slot. First time I've experienced something like this.

One of my biggest gaming regrets was not picking up a new copy of Tron Bonne from GAME for like £15 around 2002-ish.
I'm right to still be kicking myself for that, aren't I?

jbueno

One of my biggest gaming regrets was not picking up a new copy of Tron Bonne from GAME for like £15 around 2002-ish.
I'm right to still be kicking myself for that, aren't I?

I didn´t pick up a $20 priced copy found on a local shop in 2007 either, I know that feel.

kaiju

Here are my recent PS1 pickups, including the JF!2 mentioned earlier. Never even heard of Torneko, so that was a nice find. Rogue Trip might just become my favorite car combat game ever, just because it's so out there. And never played Loaded but have always heard good things about it.

ps1006_zps8148d864.jpg

ps1004_zps70bff143.jpg

ps1010_zps479540a8.jpg

ps1008_zps22ba18b7.jpg

Not going against your excellent work on the modding, but isn't that rumour of the PS1 sound quality busted long time ago? Does anyone have an article about this? I have a 1001 myself I believe.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Not going against your excellent work on the modding, but isn't that rumour of the PS1 sound quality busted long time ago? Does anyone have an article about this? I have a 1001 myself I believe.

It was debunked as being an "audiophile's dream" etc. It's a decent player, and nothing more. I can't find the article now... but use a little common sense.

Many in the so-called audiophile community are prone to superstitious nonsense.... you really have to sick the skeptics on them once and awhile. I believe all of the "PS1 is an amazing CD player" can be traced back to the same article on 6moons.

Either way it defiantly isn't anything near the dramatic change like between the model 1 HDG Genesis and the later versions. That isn't to say that people can't notice a difference, but it is mostly for CD playback and what not.

It was debunked as being an "audiophile's dream" etc. It's a decent player, and nothing more. I can't find the article now... but use a little common sense.

Many in the so-called audiophile community are prone to superstitious nonsense.... you really have to sick the skeptics on them once and awhile. I believe all of the "PS1 is an amazing CD player" can be traced back to the same article on 6moons.

Thanks for the info!

kunonabi

Here are my recent PS1 pickups, including the JF!2 mentioned earlier. Never even heard of Torneko, so that was a nice find. Rogue Trip might just become my favorite car combat game ever, just because it's so out there. And never played Loaded but have always heard good things about it.

ps1006_zps8148d864.jpg

ps1004_zps70bff143.jpg

ps1010_zps479540a8.jpg

ps1008_zps22ba18b7.jpg

Rogue Trip is awesome. It probably is my favorite.

IrishNinja

i don't think i ever got a proper answer on this one: when upscaling via XRGB mini, is there much of a difference between playing PS1 games natively or through a PS2?

IrishNinja

i thought so, but i know there's those options for smooth/etc that i never knew how they'd affect this...also i assume the WU is full hardware BC with the Wii and people still say the video output for the later isn't as good as hooking up the Wii itself, thought i'd ask since i want optimal results but god knows i'm out of shelf space here

baphomet

Just won a ps1 that looks brand new for 3.99 on goodwill. Somewhere along the way I lost mine so I'm stoked to get it and play it in RGB on my new Sony PVM.

What's a good place in the US to order an MM3 modchip?

Zing

Banned
If you are playing on an 1080p flat-panel TV, I'd assume that you would want the XRGB in most cases, if you can spare the time and money. If you are on a CRT, I suspect the potential improvement over standard s-video or component (via PS2) is not worth the expense and effort.

My advice for anyone considering the cost of an XRGB is to just buy a used CRT and call it a day. Save yourself the stress of getting it working and all the pixel-peeping. S-video didn't look any different from component in my tests, and it looks crisp and clean.

Yuterald

Yo, can anyone who owns Ace Combat 3 & a PS3 real fast try saving their data while playing the game on their PS3? I just booted up AC3 for the first time tonight on my PS3 and when I go to save the game nothing happens. My digital memory card isn't full and I've definitely assigned it to a slot. First time I've experienced something like this.

Quoting myself. Can anyone help a brother out?

goldenpp72

I have a question for anyone in here.. I have a US copy of Parappa the rapper and Crash bash for the ps1, but I have weird questions to ask for anyone who has either/or, or has knowledge of them. For Parappa, I opened up the manual to discover the manual has no pages.. just a front and back, is this normal? Some kind of play on the paper chars? Not sure if anything was ever there..

The next one is a bit more odd, i'm a stickler for things like color fading, my copy of crash bash has a slightly more grey tint on both the manuals spine, but as well as the artwork spine. When placed directly next to a typical PS1 title it's definitely noticeable, but I want to know if this is normal or actual damage to my copy?

Anyone who can answer these would be a life saver.

I have a question for anyone in here.. I have a US copy of Parappa the rapper and Crash bash for the ps1, but I have weird questions to ask for anyone who has either/or, or has knowledge of them. For Parappa, I opened up the manual to discover the manual has no pages.. just a front and back, is this normal? Some kind of play on the paper chars? Not sure if anything was ever there..

The next one is a bit more odd, i'm a stickler for things like color fading, my copy of crash bash has a slightly more grey tint on both the manuals spine, but as well as the artwork spine. When placed directly next to a typical PS1 title it's definitely noticeable, but I want to know if this is normal or actual damage to my copy?

Anyone who can answer these would be a life saver.

Good news is the front insert is normal for Parappa. You will notice it doesn't have staple holes I'm sure. Bad news is that it also came with a fold out poster thing that has the instructions on the back. Most resold copies bought probably do not have this now though as it was smaller then the manual folded up, so would get lost.

Here is what you are missing.

goldenpp72

Good news is the front insert is normal for Parappa. You will notice it doesn't have staple holes I'm sure. Bad news is that it also came with a fold out poster thing that has the instructions on the back. Most resold copies bought probably do not have this now though as it was smaller then the manual folded up, so would get lost.

Here is what you are missing.

I wonder if i could find that piece separately on ebay.. Thank you very much for answering though, I was kinda scared lol.

Now hopefully someone can answer my crash bash question, dunno if anyone owns that :(

Top Bottom