• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS1 Appreciation/Collectors Thread of Ugly-Ass Polygons

Eh? Is there some lag with the PSN versions of PS1 games? Sorry if this is common knowledge - first I've heard of it...

I asked the same question a few pages back :p

But yeah, basically the PS3's PS1 emulation introduces a bit of lag, regardless of whether it's a digital or disc game. This is then made a bit worse by basically every LCD TV introducing a bit more input lag.

Eh? Is there some lag with the PSN versions of PS1 games? Sorry if this is common knowledge - first I've heard of it...

As discussed earlier in the thread, PS1 games on PS3 have 1.5 frames of input lag. This is compounded on top of whatever lag is intrinsic to your TV, so as you can imagine that's bad for rhythm games.

Picked up Parasite Eve today. Case is brand new, came with instruction book, immaculate discs and even had the 1998 Square demo disc volume 1 for $19.
0fPKxk0.jpg
(I miss the old SquareSoft...)

cj_iwakura

Picked up Parasite Eve today. Case is brand new, came with instruction book, immaculate discs and even had the 1998 Square demo disc volume 1 for $19.

(I miss the old SquareSoft...)

I camped EB Games before they opened for that game. No one else was there but me.

Worth the $49.99. I still own it to this day.

Yes Boss!

i fuckin' knew it, i knew that shit wasn't just me! i was like "man this game was never this random about my score before", it was like parappa on PSP...fuggit, im hooking the PS2 back up.

Game is unplayable on PS3 for me. As are a lot of the shooters, they just don't feel right. Gotta go to the PSP for playback. Another one is Rhythm Heaven on Wii. Even on the Asus monitor something was off.

Yuterald

So, I believe I'm on the last mission in Silent Bomber and the final boss is pretty ridiculous. This game is actually pretty hard despite there being only one difficulty. I barely have been finishing some of these stages and I almost always get D Ranks. Game's cool as shit though. Not really following the plot anymore, but the game's got some cool bosses. For those unfamiliar with the game, think Bomberman if it was a 3rd person action game with an almost Neo Contra-like camera angle/perspective. I just want to clear the game and get it out of my head but this final boss is so frustrating! I still can't believe this is developed by CyberConnect2. It's apparently their second game too (first being Tail Concerto). To go from a furry-like anime adventure in the sky to a sci-fi, almost Contra-levels of bad assness is pretty fucking wild.

Oh a side note, I just ordered a bunch of more PS1 games, some new, some replacement copies of stuff I lost. Getting my collection closer to where I want it to be, but I'm still about 50 some games off from feeling good about it again.

Got my copy of THPS2 in the mail yesterday so I hooked up my PS2 via component and was surprised how nice it looked on our TV. Obviously it's a PS1 game but it's exactly like I remember it (albeit widescreen) and holds up extremely well.

I think plugging my N64/SNES in over the years had made me assume all 90's consoles looked like garbage. Very happy to be proven wrong there :)

Got my copy of THPS2 in the mail yesterday so I hooked up my PS2 via component and was surprised how nice it looked on our TV. Obviously it's a PS1 game but it's exactly like I remember it (albeit widescreen) and holds up extremely well.

I think plugging my N64/SNES in over the years had made me assume all 90's consoles looked like garbage. Very happy to be proven wrong there :)

That seems to be a common complaint, that the games from that era look awful now but I still love them even in this HD age. All about the gameplay for me!

That seems to be a common complaint, that the games from that era look awful now but I still love them even in this HD age. All about the gameplay for me!

I don't know if it's the inputs that were producing garbage video on my TV or just limitations of the consoles themselves (ie N64 vaseline). I suppose I should try the PS2 with just composite to see if that's making the difference in quality or not.

Gameplay is top notch and hasn't aged a day IMO :)

It's going to mostly be the cable. Playing PS1 games via composite is gross on my TV, while via component it's reasonably nice.

N64 games look glorious when played through the Wii.

Yeah, I would think PS1 games played on a PS2 via component would look pretty decent, especially on a plasma set. SNES via s-video is not perfect but very tolerable for me on my Panny plasma.

Can someone enlighten me a bit more about lag on HD sets? Specifically games played on the PS3. I assumed if they're played on a modern console via HDMI there would be no lag. I thought that was mostly a function of the older inputs and modern displays. I have Rhythm Heaven for the Wii and its pretty damn hard but I thought that's just how it is. Could it be lag?

Yeah, I would think PS1 games played on a PS2 via component would look pretty decent, especially on a plasma set. SNES via s-video is not perfect but very tolerable for me on my Panny plasma.

Can someone enlighten me a bit more about lag on HD sets? Specifically games played on the PS3. I assumed if they're played on a modern console via HDMI there would be no lag. I thought that was mostly a function of the older inputs and modern displays. I have Rhythm Heaven for the Wii and its pretty damn hard but I thought that's just how it is. Could it be lag?

It doesn't depend on your cable I believe but the TV. I have played on some TV's that lagged horribly. Rhythm or fighting games are pretty sensitive so the right tv can make a difference.

Teknoman

I don't know if it's the inputs that were producing garbage video on my TV or just limitations of the consoles themselves (ie N64 vaseline). I suppose I should try the PS2 with just composite to see if that's making the difference in quality or not.

Gameplay is top notch and hasn't aged a day IMO :)

Connect your N64 or SNES via S-Video or whatever the highest quality cable you can get. N64 is one thing, but SNES should never look bad :p

Connect your N64 or SNES via S-Video or whatever the highest quality cable you can get. N64 is one thing, but SNES should never look bad :p
It may not look "bad" but neither does SNES look great via s-video on modern HDTVs. The are certain visual effects that were designed to work on CRT displays. It's usually perfectly playable but if you're someone who cares about 100% fidelity it just can't get there. Anyway, getting OT here.

Teknoman

It may not look "bad" but neither does SNES look great via s-video on modern HDTVs. The are certain visual effects that were designed to work on CRT displays. It's usually perfectly playable but if you're someone who cares about 100% fidelity it just can't get there. Anyway, getting OT here.

Oh well yeah, if its on an HDTV, thats different.

Swarley

Just started up my PlayStation collection in the last week or so, so most of the collections in this thread put it to shame lol. Going to head to the local vintage game story tomorrow to look for some others.

SNES seems to have an issue with vertical lines in the middle of the screen and my Super Famicom gives me color issues where half the screen turns pink. : | It's the least reliable console for me thus far.

Zing

Banned
Just started up my PlayStation collection in the last week or so, so most of the collections in this thread put it to shame lol. Going to head to the local vintage game story tomorrow to look for some others.
I just acquired the Tomb Raider series myself. I played through quite a bit of the first game last year, but quit for whatever reason. I decided to give it a proper go and bought the first three games. I'm still looking to nab The Final Revelation.

I never played any Gran Turismo game until a couple years ago, but I really enjoyed it. I liked how the manuals actually teach you real driving tips. For example, how braking increases tractions and such. I haven't played in a while, as I keep playing another stuff and games such as this with no real "end" tend to get pushed aside.

I am also working my way through Syphon Filter for the first time. I definitely prefer it over Metal Gear Solid. The story does feel like it moves too fast sometimes. Strange names of people and places are thrown around with no introduction. I read that the game didn't even have a final level order until right before it went to production. It was literally designed as a generic spy game with independent level design, then thrown together in sequence.

Yuterald

The first picture is everything I've added to my collection in the last two months. These are all games I've never owned before. I also bought a bunch of other games that were replacement copies of PSone titles I lost 4 years ago in a house fire. I didn't bother to show them though. I just recently started trying to find those long-nose boxes for the older games that I want too. Got a nice assortment going already!

...and here's a shot of my current collection. Kind of hard to see due to the image quality and lighting, but it'll work, I suppose. There's still about 50-ish games I'd like to add to my collection before I'm content. I'm a collector, but not the type that just buys shit for the hell of it. I also don't keep things sealed. Everything I add to my collection I have an intent on playing and is of some interest to me in one way or another. I usually keep my games alphabetized, but since I've been adding so much to my collection and playing a lot of PSone games recently I've got shit all over the place, lol!

Yuterald

Is Gex still fun? I used to have it...but i've completely forgotten how it played.

I'm playing Gex for the first time in YEARS, actually. I remember just thinking it was "okay" back in the day. I always preferred Rayman to Gex, even though they are quite different. I just cleared the first world in its entirety the other day and it was actually still a lot of fun. The controls are a bit slippery, but the stage design stills feels competent. How you proceed in the game (collecting remotes) is a bit arbitrary though. It's merely there for flavor. The Dana Carvey jokes are pretty cringe-inducing, but there's a certain terrible 90's charm to it, lol!

As much as I am a fan of 2D platformers/action games, I actually prefer the Mario 64-like 3D Gex games. The original is still pretty solid though! Oh, and the music is a lot better than I remembered.

Fox Mulder

You already have a nice advantage, a local game store. I would kill for a place that specializes in retro games. I have to scour pawn shops, goodwill, and flea markets for games. I usually end up buying most of my stuff off eBay at market price.

Swarley

You already have a nice advantage, a local game store. I would kill for a place that specializes in retro games. I have to scour pawn shops, goodwill, and flea markets for games. I usually end up buying most of my stuff off eBay at market price.

Yeah it's nice having a store close by. It's fun going in for 30 minutes or so and being able to just browse whatever they have instead of trying to look up specific things on ebay or whatever.

Zing

Banned
My copy of Tomb Raider 3 still had this inside the case:

It's the original receipt from Funcoland. $24.99 in March 1999.

Oh yeah, no reason they shouldn't work on PS3. And man, I never had discs with those exact names, but they must have used the same demo discs over here with Official Australian PSM, because damn, that music just awoke some hidden nostalgia in my mind.

I'm a collector, but not the type that just buys shit for the hell of it. I also don't keep things sealed. Everything I add to my collection I have an intent on playing and is of some interest to me in one way or another.

I've taken to calling myself an "enthusiast" for the same reason. Don't know how accurate that term is though. Just sounds like a better description then collector, even though I have a lot of games and keep them neat, clean, and alphabetized.

Swarley

So I've seen at least a couple different Formula 1 games in your guys' collection. In your guys' opinions, which F1 game is the best?

93xfan

Banned
Wish the PSN store had the original Resident Evil, because I truly loved the music and it really brings back memories.

The director's cut is just inferior.

So I've seen at least a couple different Formula 1 games in your guys' collection. In your guys' opinions, which F1 game is the best?
Formula 1 '97 is considered the best on PS1 (it's called F1 Championship Edition in the US, but not to be confused with the PS3's F1 Championship edition). It was developed by Bizarre Creations, who went on to make the Project Gotham/MSR titles.

PAL version left/North American right

CnOE7mF.jpg

Swarley

Formula 1 '97 is considered the best on PS1 (it's called F1 Championship Edition in the US, but not to be confused with the PS3's F1 Championship edition). It was developed by Bizarre Creations, who went on to make the Project Gotham/MSR titles.

Thanks man. Just ordered it off eBay.

Welp. My game collecting bug got the best of me again. This Time focussing on PSOne games that I didn't own, nor have on US PSN. Needless to say it got out of hand. I'd post the list but its a bit emberassing. I did snag a good number of rare games left on PSOne that I didn't have at least like the megaman legend games. I think overall I bought 30 games? Gah!

The good news is this should almost finish my PSOne collection in some form. I have 3-4 PSOne games left on my wish list.

Oh and here's a pretty good deal that probably won't last long. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mega-Man-Legends-Sony-PlayStation-1-PS1-Complete-CAPCOM-Black-Label-Megaman-/161035241179?pt=Video_Games_Games&hash=item257e72c6db

Zing

Banned
A copy with ripped manual is a good deal at $30? I have a spare copy in better condition I'll sell for the same price (plus shipping).

I know how it is with the collecting impulse. When I bought a PS2 and decided to start playing through PS1 games I missed, within a couple months I reached 30 games. It was embarrassing, considering that I didn't play any of them except Tekken and Raiden Project for over a year! I was in such a hurry to buy them all, then I didn't play them. I have rectified that, as I have currently completed 13 of my 44 games, and am working through at least one on any given day.

I currently playing Tomb Raider. I just finished "Saint Francis Folly" and, damn, did that level annoy me. It was mostly my own fault, as almost all my deaths were due to pressing the wrong button. The level has plenty of long drops that kill you if you press the wrong button. On each level, I think I am clever and have found all the secrets, then the summary screen always informs me that I found maybe half of them. Fortunately, the game doesn't actually track total percent "complete", or I'd be driving myself mad trying to find everything.

IrishNinja

Anyone here know anything about RGB on PS1? Know it supports it as an output, but looking for a good cable to output it.

this is a good question right here, i was asking the same about PS1 games on a PS2 output over XRGB vs just playing PS1 straight, but realized that PS2 does component and i have no idea how to get a better signal out of PSX. if it supports RGB im hoping retro_game_accessories has such a cable for it.

Zing

Banned
The PlayStation has native support for RGB. In fact, the pins are wired to the same as the component pins on the PS2/3. What this means is that, using a PS2 component cable, you get an RGB signal. It is then a simple matter of converting it to component for use on the TV. I have no idea what converter one would use for this.

Blablurn

PAL version left/North American right

CnOE7mF.jpg

omg, i loved this game so much. i remmeber playing a full lap race in monaco and in the last round my engine died. lol.

IrishNinja

The PlayStation has native support for RGB. In fact, the pins are wired to the same as the component pins on the PS2/3. What this means is that, using a PS2 component cable, you get an RGB signal. It is then a simple matter of converting it to component for use on the TV.

ah, so another specialty cord, then? man i really need that retro game accessories chick on ebay to come back from hiatus.

Top Bottom