• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS1 Appreciation/Collectors Thread of Ugly-Ass Polygons

Teknoman

You know what? I've heard the songs, and have fun with Gitaroo Man and Harmoknight...but i've never played Parappa on the PS1.

Most experience i've had is with the demo, and I need to fix that.

Credo

You know what? I've heard the songs, and have fun with Gitaroo Man and Harmoknight...but i've never played Parappa on the PS1.

Most experience i've had is with the demo, and I need to fix that.

Yes, you do.

Parappa%2Bthe%2BRapper%2B2.jpg

The tune from this level hasn't left my mind since I first played it over 15 years ago.

NIGHT-

Found a hidden store here in Arkansas. Picked up Tekken 2 and 3 sealed, along with sealed copies of Rayman, Gex, Tenchu 1 and 2 and long box copies of Twisted Metal and Resident evil for super cheap. Feels good to add to my collection. They had tons of other sealed games. Tempted to go pick up Gran Turismo 1 and 2 sealed.

If you are playing on an 1080p flat-panel TV, I'd assume that you would want the XRGB in most cases, if you can spare the time and money. If you are on a CRT, I suspect the potential improvement over standard s-video or component (via PS2) is not worth the expense and effort.

My advice for anyone considering the cost of an XRGB is to just buy a used CRT and call it a day. Save yourself the stress of getting it working and all the pixel-peeping. S-video didn't look any different from component in my tests, and it looks crisp and clean.
Gah. Been eyeing and xrgb mini myself. I have a nice Sony Wega CRT don't have room for it anywhere but a storage shelf in my basement. I am trying to decide if I want to get that and have one retro console hooked up at a time in my living room (again, space) or just break down and build a smallish HTPC for emulation on the plasma.

Zing

Banned
I finished Tomb Raider for the first time. I owned it on PC when it was first released, and had the 3dfx version, but never got further than level two. I've been playing it for the past few days straight. The last level was ridiculous. Boulders, blades, spikes, pits, lava, broken floors… all that and the ending is literally "the end" and one screen of credits.

Now, on to the sequel.

1upmuffin

This is really weird, but my most nostalgic game on PS1 is Namco Museum 3, just for the museum exploring. There is something really magical about the music and weird first person exploring of all the different parts of the museum. I've been meaning to get all 5 PS1 Namco Museums but 2, 4, and 5 are relatively expensive.

This is really weird, but my most nostalgic game on PS1 is Namco Museum 3, just for the museum exploring. There is something really magical about the music and weird first person exploring of all the different parts of the museum. I've been meaning to get all 5 PS1 Namco Museums but 2, 4, and 5 are relatively expensive.
Really wish I'd sprung for these back at release. I really thought about it, too, as I had 1 and 3. I had no idea 2, 4 and 5 would become rare.

Zing

Banned
I have given up, maybe forever, on Tomb Raider 2. I enjoyed the first game and felt immersed. This sequel is just a clumsy Syphon Filter so far. I'm four levels in and tired of constantly shooting snipers and men with bats. Also tired of reloading my game over and over. I just can't immerse myself in this onedue to all the ridiculously placed switches and enemies, and the modern-day setting. I could pretend that crazy ancient powers would create these things, but modern men in a city?

Apparently, the best way to protect a library from intruders is to lock the door and hide the key behind a painting. A painting that requires pulling a series of switches up in the rafters of an abandoned room, through a underwater path hidden behind a fireplace protected by blades and flame jets, ultimately reached via raising and lowering chandeliers, allowing one to climb and jump on said chandeliers.

Several times during this game I have literally laughed out loud at how absurd things are. I just can't get over this amount of immersion-breaking design. Even the most maniacal of modern day criminals would not build such elaborate things. When I discover that a guy with a bat has been sitting up in the rafters of an abandoned room for who knows how long, apparently guarding that all-important switch which lowers the chandelier, I feel like the game is insulting my intelligence. The final straw was stumbling across a detonator, set up to blow a hole in the side of the criminals' building. Why is it there? Why would they set up explosives to blow their own home? They just leave it set up, ready for anyone to come along and trigger it? I don't get it.

NekoFever

I added these two to the collection today:

lunaralundrahtuev.jpg

The best part? They didn't cost me a penny.

A friend who I haven't seen in ages was looking to offload some of his games collection and said he couldn't be bothered to sell them and would rather they went to a good home with someone he knew, so he let me have them. Both in great condition.

I guess I kind of owe him a favour now.

lunaralundrahtuev.jpg

A friend who I haven't seen in ages was looking to offload some of his games collection and said he couldn't be bothered to sell them and would rather they went to a good home with someone he knew, so he let me have them. Both in great condition.

Nice. I want to try Alundra someday due to that Landstalker lineage.

DiresuDR

lunaralundrahtuev.jpg

I miss you Working Designs.

3N16MA

Banned
OPM demo disc #13 brings back so many memories with MGS and Soul Reaver playable demos. Bringing it up because I just found it not too long ago with the all the other demo discs in a box separate from my PS1 games.

televator

Either way it defiantly isn't anything near the dramatic change like between the model 1 HDG Genesis and the later versions. That isn't to say that people can't notice a difference, but it is mostly for CD playback and what not.

Well IDK... I remember listening to some Youtube clips and the differences were somewhat substantial. Whether or not the REV 1 model is professional audio tier is another matter, but it definitely sounded better than the latter models.

NekoFever

That's not a valid comparison at all. Criterion is all about the authenticity to the original vision. I've played several WD releases with fucked up balance changes for no reason (Silhouette Mirage, Lunar to a lesser extent), and I'm not even talking about the script localizations people complain about.

True. I kind of regretted making that comparison shortly after submitting the post.

But they did bring over obscure foreign games and give them nice special editions that they wouldn't get anywhere else. That's more what I was getting at.

I just miss when games were brought over with such clear enthusiasm. I'm sick of being encouraged to beg for localisations through astroturfed social media campaigns and the only special editions we get being worthless, cynical, day one preorder incentives. But since I'm in a thread populated by people who still buy games for a 19-year-old system, I don't need to tell anyone that.

That's not a valid comparison at all. Criterion is all about the authenticity to the original vision. I've played several WD releases on the other hand, with fucked up balance changes for no reason (Silhouette Mirage, Lunar), and I'm not even mentioning about the script localizations people complain about.

Sounds like a serious case of haters hating. Changes made to some games are what made them special, like Lunar 1 and 2. Games would have been just mediocre jrpgs that never made it stateside without the magic WD did. Or have super flat direct translations that lacked any heart and soul like the PSP remake. Sure some of the pop culture references were lame, but I am fine dealing with that for the rest of the good.

Of course there is the fact that the light heartedness fit some of the games WD localized more then others. Lunar it worked well with. Not so much with Alundra, which was a pretty serious game. So having a character randomly talk like a surfer dude didn't help shit in it.

My first ps1 game was assault rigs. That game was just awesome! I think we sold the ps1 and a handful of games during a garage sale, but I think I kept AR. At least I hope I did. No room for clutter, but I really wanted to hold on to that last shred of nostalgia.

Apoc87

Banned
Are the ps1 resident evil games still playable today? I am trying to clear my backlog but if they feel more like a chore to finish id rather just delete them off my hdd.

IrishNinja

man i am not here for the WD bashing

also that last post reminds me, still gotta burn/play that copy of RE 1.5 from a while back!

Sounds like a serious case of haters hating. Changes made to some games are what made them special, like Lunar 1 and 2. Games would have been just mediocre jrpgs that never made it stateside without the magic WD did. Or have super flat direct translations that lacked any heart and soul like the PSP remake. Sure some of the pop culture references were lame, but I am fine dealing with that for the rest of the good.

Of course there is the fact that the light heartedness fit some of the games WD localized more then others. Lunar it worked well with. Not so much with Alundra, which was a pretty serious game. So having a character randomly talk like a surfer dude didn't help shit in it.

Not a case of haters hating, just an explanation why the Criterion analogy is completely false.

My first ps1 game was assault rigs. That game was just awesome! I think we sold the ps1 and a handful of games during a garage sale, but I think I kept AR. At least I hope I did. No room for clutter, but I really wanted to hold on to that last shred of nostalgia.
I remember being blown away by the smoothness of the 3D in that game. I'd love to have a copy for my collection. Quick wiki check shows its made my Psygnosis so that's another interesting point.

Visiting my parents, and I thought it would be worthwhile to visit the local second-hand shop, found these for $5 each :D

ibd54ijCq7DVMR.jpg

The Spyro games are in near mint condition, so happy with those. They generally go for $30+ on eBay in less than fantastic condition.

Raziel

Question to anyone that owns Strider 2. Does the jewel case not close securely? Like if you held it with the front cover facing the floor, it would just fall open? It's difficult to describe without pictures but along the top and bottom of the case, it seems like there is a section that begins just before the end where it's sort of "smooth" instead of the customary "grooves," if that makes sense. Anyone's copy like this/not like this? NTSC btw.

Defunkled

Question to anyone that owns Strider 2. Does the jewel case not close securely? Like if you held it with the front cover facing the floor, it would just fall open? It's difficult to describe without pictures but along the top and bottom of the case, it seems like there is a section that begins just before the end where it's sort of "smooth" instead of the customary "grooves," if that makes sense. Anyone's copy like this/not like this? NTSC btw.

Just tried it with my copy and it seems secure. Definitely doesn't fall open when I let the front cover face the floor. It sucks that Strider 2 is one of those games that uses the rare "2 CDs in a single jewel case" design.

IrishNinja

dude on the Neo-Geo forums is talkin bout SCART RGB cables for PS1 & 2...anyone know if this is legit? do i need an adapter for it? god i hope not

recently bought wild arms on psn for my vita and ahaha I'd forgotten how they make the enemies move by twisting the model so it looks like they're stretching the flesh as a lump of molt

NekoFever

dude on the Neo-Geo forums is talkin bout SCART RGB cables for PS1 & 2...anyone know if this is legit? do i need an adapter for it? god i hope not

The PS1 and PS2 both support RGB SCART output, if that's what you mean. Just make sure if you're using it on a PS2 that you change the component video out setting in system configuration to output RGB instead of Y Cb/Pb Cr/Pr, or else you'll get distorted colours; IIRC NTSC PS2s default to component output since RGB isn't common in those regions.

Funnily enough, I was playing a PS2 over RGB SCART on a nice CRT TV yesterday for the first time in years. It looks glorious.

IrishNinja

The PS1 and PS2 both support RGB SCART output, if that's what you mean. Just make sure if you're using it on a PS2 that you change the component video out setting in system configuration to output RGB instead of Y Cb/Pb Cr/Pr, or else you'll get distorted colours; IIRC NTSC PS2s default to component output since RGB isn't common in those regions.

Funnily enough, I was playing a PS2 over RGB SCART on a nice CRT TV yesterday for the first time in years. It looks glorious.

fantastic news; was thinking i'd have to hook up my PS1 as well, or mod them or something - if PS2 can nativley do RGB i just need a SCART cable for my XRGB mini and both 1 & 2 games will look better & lag less than over my old PS3 anyway. thanks man!

linkboy

Nice. I want to try Alundra someday due to that Landstalker lineage.

If you can't get a hold of a physical copy, I believe the game is up on PSN (at least it is in the states).

It's one of my favorite games.

As for me, I moved my PS1 collection digital years ago (right about when the PSP was hacked to allow custom PS1 games).

Makes it so much easier to play my games while I'm deployed, because you have to be downright insane to think I'm taking my copy of Suikoden II to Iraq or Afghanistan.

Carnby

Good news is the front insert is normal for Parappa. You will notice it doesn't have staple holes I'm sure. Bad news is that it also came with a fold out poster thing that has the instructions on the back. Most resold copies bought probably do not have this now though as it was smaller then the manual folded up, so would get lost.

Here is what you are missing.

When I get home today, I'm going to check my copy to see if I have that. Thanks for pointing that out. I completely forgot about the poster.

Zing

Banned
Legend of Dragoon. God that game ruled.
It's probably the most enjoyable RPG I have ever played, and yes, I have played Chrono Trigger et al.

I recently bought Pandemonium since I saw it compared to Klonoa, which is my favourite platformer besides Yoshi's Island. While mechanically, it feels similar, it is no where as well designed. It is rather challenging, however. I just noticed today that you password also stores your remaining lives. I have reached the first boss and haven't managed to beat him yet.

The graphics are okay, but a little jittery when the camera moves vertically. I'm not sure why, since horizontal camera movement is smooth, along with the model animation. The music is also fitting and enjoyable, and the level design is satisfactory. Tough as nails, though.

Zing

Banned
Almost done with Mega Man X4. I just started it yesterday. I've played the first three games, and this one is by far the easiest, but the final boss is the most difficult. I already completed it with Mega Man and am going through as Zero now. I'm at the final boss and its a pain. I thought it was hard with X, but this is ridiculous.

solid mike

Tekken 3
Rampage Universal Tour
Twisted Metal
Metal Gear Solid
Suikoden II
Chrono Cross
Tenchu 1
Marvel vs Capcom

Those were the days

Top Bottom