• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS1 Appreciation/Collectors Thread of Ugly-Ass Polygons

Tain

Most recently played through Omega Boost a few weeks back. It's a pretty ridiculous accomplishment for the hardware, and one of the cooler rail shooters I've played. The licensed 90s rock was kind of cracking me up but it's all very slick.

I'm trying to figure out what I'll be playing as Saidaioujou approaches. I'd like to put time into and clear either R-Type Delta or Gradius Gaiden but it probably won't happen until after Saidaioujou and some non-STGs.

Vashetti said:
I've fallen in love with this TV and it's so close to where I live:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SONY-WEGA-...item1c3225ec28

Any good for what I have planned?

Personally I'd be weirded out by a 16:9 SDTV. I would be wondering what sort of processing would be done to an image to switch enforce aspect ratios or whatever. I have no clue how a set like that would work, though. If I'm misreading and it's an HD CRT, I would avoid.

I'm based in the UK, and only have PAL games.

What are my best options for picture quality?

I know it goes like this:

Component > S-Video > RGB Scart

Most PAL PS2 games don't support 480p. So is it worth using a component cable? Or going the S-video route?

I've got an old bulky PS2 but can probably get a PS2 slim pretty cheap.

What about TVs? Better to have a bulky CRT or a slim EDTV?

Gosh this is exciting :D

For PS1 it's RGB > Component > S-Video > composite.
A CRT with RGB SCART or Component inputs would be perfect for PS1.

Also, the great thing is a PlayStation SCART cable should work with any PS system.

Also, I envy you living in an area where SCART is more common.

Borman

I'm just thinking about the games being stretched into widescreen.

The only game I'm interested on playing on it that has a 16:9 option is FFXII, all the rest are 4:3.

Most TVs will let you set it to 4:3. My old CRT did anyway, and it was a cheap one. Granted then you have bars, but a small price to pay.

Vashetti

Banned
This TV even nearer to me is going away for free:

http://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/free-26-sony-tv/1015414503

Would it be better to go with that one, they're both Sony Wegas?

The other £20 one is only 2" bigger.

I assume that a smaller screen is better for quality too as the games are low-res compared to what we're used to today.

Edit: Hmm, looking at both, I think the person selling the 26" version is mistaken and it's actually 28". Googled the 26" version and can't find anything that matches. If so, that makes my decision much easier. One's free, one's not :p

Edit 2: :lol, the person listing it as 28" was mistaken, that version doesn't exist. They're both a little over 26". The 28" confusion comes from the model number.

Most recently played through Omega Boost a few weeks back. It's a pretty ridiculous accomplishment for the hardware, and one of the cooler rail shooters I've played. The licensed 90s rock was kind of cracking me up but it's all very slick.

This thread is expensive, I just bought a copy of Omega Boost thanks to your post!

I don't know what criteria you wish to use. I am only a few hours into the first game, and I really enjoy it. It isn't too complicated, despite having a totally unique battle system. It certainly feels like a classic 16-bit RPG, but is translated extremely well, and the plot never stops moving. I haven't had a boring moment yet. The graphics and music are well-done, and the characters are interesting.

Tales of Destiny is like Tales of Phantasia on the SNES, it's even similar graphically; it's good, but don't expect it to blow you out of the water in any way, could be done on the SNES (taking FMV's aside) and it's a Tales game so plot tends to be simplistic and it's worth it for the gameplay alone. It introduced skits and I like it, but it's not groundbreaking in any way or form.

Tales of Eternia/Destiny 2 (in US) is another beast altogether, it's more colourful and it's tailor made for the PSone while still completly 2D (taking overworld map aside), it had 3 discs and a completly new battle system (still LMBS-based of course). Plot is as silly as it gets, one of the worse Tales of games in that regard (and that's saying a lot), but it doesn't get in the way much.

Both are not widely considered even close to being the best RPG's on the platform. But I like Destiny.

Destiny got remade with Destiny II graphics (Destiny II being a real sequel made in 2002 for the PS2), both were never localized though. But I'm pointing this out because somehow Destiny got more footing than Eternia, most likely due to plot and characters being better.200 for both tales or 200 each?

Either way, damn, shit's getting expensive. I gotta pick up were I left years ago (last high profile purchase I did for PSone was Persona 2 Eternal Punishment, 100 bucks ouch, but it's mighty mint).

thanks, hmm bummer that destiny 2's story is bad by even tales standards; i may consider getting the first one

and persona 2 goes for 100 now? fuck, glad i picked that shit up on a whim in 2004 at gamestop

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
thanks, hmm bummer that destiny 2's story is bad by even tales standards; i may consider getting the first one

and persona 2 goes for 100 now? fuck, glad i picked that shit up on a whim in 2004 at gamestop

First Tales of Destiny kinda sucks. I played Destiny 2's PSP port (we're talking about Tales of Eternia, which was renamed Destiny for its US release on the PS1, right?) and it was actually quite a fun game. The story isn't bad, but it's generic beyond belief. I literally could not believe how generic it was. A weird feeling, that.

But the gameplay was rock solid, from what I recall. But the game's pretty pricey these days, right? Honestly, I don't think it's worth the asking price. It's fun, but it's hardly great.

Zing

Banned
I've fallen in love with this TV and it's so close to where I live:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SONY-WEGA...tronics_Video_Televisions&hash=item1c3225ec28

Any good for what I have planned?

I remember playing FFXII years ago on a 42" Samsung CRT and it looked amazing compared to how it does on an HDTV.

The 16:9 will make your games look pretty small in 4:3. It will be an equivalent of a 20-21" screen. One major thing that model has is an internal subwoofer. I have the KV-27FV310, which has an internal sub. I cannot overstate how much of a difference it makes for the game audio. Most of us will expect weak audio from native speakers, but this makes it feel like the sound is coming from an audio system. Even NES games benefit.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
A seller on eBay had some pretty great deals on a bunch of imports I wanted, so I now have iS: Internal Section, Gunners Heaven, Gradius Gaiden, Einhander, and Tobal 2 coming. I got all 5 games for < $90.

Borman

A seller on eBay had some pretty great deals on a bunch of imports I wanted, so I now have iS: Internal Section, Gunners Heaven, Gradius Gaiden, Einhander, and Tobal 2 coming. I got all 5 games for < $90.

Yeah there are a lot of cheap ones up, I committed myself to buying spine cards though which a lot of the cheaper auctions don't have :\

Speaking of cheap games, I have considerably expanded my PS1 collection this week. I think all up this cost me less than $150AU, from various eBay and classified searching.

ibfTWtwHFSGtMz.jpg

Super happy to have Future Cop and The Unholy War in my collection again. And found Crash Warped for a reasonable price. And Pocket Fighter is one I have been trying to find for ages (ended up paying about $35 for it in a bundle with 7 other games). And Alundra gets high praise and found that for about $15.

Also holy crap, Coolboarders 8 came with the winter releases '98 demo disc, which has fueled my nostalgia and given me a bunch of other games to lust over. That disc was great.

Had such greats as
  • Blitter Boy (Da! Da!)
  • Gran Turismo
  • Bust a Groove
  • Ghost in the Shell
  • Spyro 1
  • Medievil
  • Kula WOrld
  • Tombi
  • and I guess Treasures of the Deep which I enjoyed as a kid but apparently was actually god awful

Now to wait for my PS component cables to arrive, hopefully it will improve the way PS1 games look on my TV, at least a little. That pixel crawl is a bit gross.

Borman

Speaking of cheap games, I have considerably expanded my PS1 collection this week. I think all up this cost me less than $150AU, from various eBay and classified searching.

Super happy to have Future Cop and The Unholy War in my collection again. And found Crash Warped for a reasonable price. And Pocket Fighter is one I have been trying to find for ages (ended up paying about $35 for it in a bundle with 7 other games). And Alundra gets high praise and found that for about $15.

Also holy crap, Coolboarders 8 came with the winter releases '98 demo disc, which has fueled my nostalgia and given me a bunch of other games to lust over. That disc was great.

Had such greats as
  • Blitter Boy (Da! Da!)
  • Gran Turismo
  • Bust a Groove
  • Ghost in the Shell
  • Spyro 1
  • Medievil
  • Kula WOrld
  • Tombi
  • and I guess Treasures of the Deep which I enjoyed as a kid but apparently was actually god awful

Now to wait for my PS component cables to arrive, hopefully it will improve the way PS1 games look on my TV, at least a little. That pixel crawl is a bit gross.

Hope you're playing on a PS2 for those component cables :)

Lime

• Silent Hill made me shit my pants
  • Metal Gear Solid floored me with its graphics and presentation at the time
  • The songs in Parappa the Rapper got stuck in my head
  • Tekken 2 was all me and my friends played against each other

Although I heavily played on my PC in the 90's, it was still good times with the PS1 indeed. In recent years I've revisited some of the old games through both emulation and my PSP, and there are many great experiences to be had.

kaiju

Recently got my first PS1 import. Dungeon Creator!!!

ebay037_zpsb1a8bf26.jpg

It surprises me how very little information is available on this game after all these years. Spent a good hour searching for information on it before buying and found nothing...nothing at all. No youtube gameplay, no google screenshots, nada.

Only information I had to go on were the images on the back of the case:

dc_zps51a3bad9.jpg

Well I am happy to say I'm glad I made the purchase. This game is awesome! It is pure ugly polygonal heaven. I was able to figure out the campaign mode and had a lot of fun traipsing through the dungeons kicking ass and collecting treasures.

ePSXe2013-05-1721-24-46-71_zpsf59d8900.png

Thanks to a gamefaq guide translation I was able to create my own dungeon and got it up and running in no time. The monster designs are unique and the gameplay resembles the King's Field series.

ePSXe2013-05-1709-36-28-09_zpsdd88d8e5.png

Only complaint is the dungeons are pretty generic with a dull grey wall texture, but for an early PS1 game I am very impressed. I would have played this for hours upon hours if this had been released in the states back in 1996, but I'm glad I can at least enjoy it now.

Last I checked there was only one or two for sale on ebay, and they are at a relatively low price. Got mine for $15, well worth it IMO.

Zing

Banned
I still have the official PS2 component cables in the retail package if anyone is going that route. I don't wish to turn this thread into a BST, but I'll sell them for $10 plus shipping (from Canada). There may be cheaper options if you want a cheap Chinese or third party cable, but these are the real deal.

7527638018_878d0400f2_n.jpg

As for the gaming, I recently received Pandemonium! I'm excited to try it. Also, this thread inspired me to give Tomb Raider another try. I enjoyed it when I played it at release, and again a year or so ago, but someone offered me $5 for the game and I took it. This time, I'll give it a real chance. I bought it in a lot with the two sequels as well.

Danny Dudekisser

I recently began collecting on the Ps1, I am nearing the half mark to the stuff I know I wanted, but was wondering if anyone could give suggestions of stuff to look into? Here is my list of games on the ps1 that I own or plan to own. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0Aq38TbJphxAodEVCai1telM1Vng2OGQyc2RPRFc4QVE&gid=4

Any suggestions would be helpful, I only collect US releases however.

I mean... that's a pretty damn solid collection. I'd get into imports, personally, but as far as US releases go... Arc the Lad Collection? That list already contains like... everything else you'd want.

Philia

I FINALLY beaten FF8 today! Whew. Finally.

Anyway, I'll be selling the ps1 game (not GH or anything) along with two guides. Brady's and Piggyback's. Be sure to watch out for them in the Community's Buy, Sell, Trade thread. :)

goldenpp72

I mean... that's a pretty damn solid collection. I'd get into imports, personally, but as far as US releases go... Arc the Lad Collection? That list already contains like... everything else you'd want.

Really? I mean, I hope so as i'd rather be able to say it's truly 'complete' for my taste, but there always seem to be some stragglers people find. I heard some mention of the Tales series for example.

Philia

What did you think of the ending? :)

Well... I uh kept hearing it was the best love story ending of all time. So that ending didn't really match my expectations (outside of Laguna at least)... HOWEVER. The space bit though (before Ragnarok specifically) was a real nice surprise due to how much it went into it. The music was great during that scene. NOT the "Eyes on Me" or whatever.

Teknoman

I FINALLY beaten FF8 today! Whew. Finally.

Anyway, I'll be selling the ps1 game (not GH or anything) along with two guides. Brady's and Piggyback's. Be sure to watch out for them in the Community's Buy, Sell, Trade thread. :)

Just gonna say, be sure you wont want to play the game again down the road. Unless you have a double or PSN download or something.

Philia

Just gonna say, be sure you wont want to play the game again down the road. Unless you have a double or PSN download or something.

LOL, this darn game was in my backlog FAR TOO LONG. I've wanted to pass on it so many times but the FF NOVELTY made it stay. I just HAD to finish it for SURE before its gone. And rest assured, I won't miss it. It doesn't age well.

Danny Dudekisser

Really? I mean, I hope so as i'd rather be able to say it's truly 'complete' for my taste, but there always seem to be some stragglers people find. I heard some mention of the Tales series for example.

Yeah, I mean, there are a lot of C-grade RPGs on the system, but I don't necessarily think they're bothering with. Tales of Destiny 1 definitely isn't worth caring about. The sequel, while decent, is better on the PSP. And isn't particularly great in the first place, either.

Dereck

I still have the official PS2 component cables in the retail package if anyone is going that route. I don't wish to turn this thread into a BST, but I'll sell them for $10 plus shipping (from Canada). There may be cheaper options if you want a cheap Chinese or third party cable, but these are the real deal.

7527638018_878d0400f2_n.jpg

As for the gaming, I recently received Pandemonium! I'm excited to try it. Also, this thread inspired me to give Tomb Raider another try. I enjoyed it when I played it at release, and again a year or so ago, but someone offered me $5 for the game and I took it. This time, I'll give it a real chance. I bought it in a lot with the two sequels as well.
PS3 component cables work on PS2 slims, oddly.

Teknoman

LOL, this darn game was in my backlog FAR TOO LONG. I've wanted to pass on it so many times but the FF NOVELTY made it stay. I just HAD to finish it for SURE before its gone. And rest assured, I won't miss it. It doesn't age well.

True, it is one of the few FF games i'd never want to replay...at least not for a very very long time.

FF8's ending is great, but not because of the love story bits. I like rather enjoy the
mind-fuckness of it: the apparitions, the visions, the time travel, the walking around another timezone all by his lonesome almost to perish. I also enjoy seeing Squall finally able to smile. But the love story?

What are you talking about?
Squall has been dead since the end of the first disc!
:p

I'm not sure what to think, but it is an interesting theory.

Philia

FF8's ending is great, but not because of the love story bits. I like rather enjoy the
mind-fuckness of it: the apparitions, the visions, the time travel, the walking around another timezone all by his lonesome almost to perish. I also enjoy seeing Squall finally able to smile. But the love story?

LOL! I know! I was confused and was taken back that its not what I thought it'd be.
Agreed with with the visual fuckedupness... its like if he was trying to remember her face.

Wazzy

Banned
LOL! I know! I was confused and was taken back that its not what I thought it'd be.
Agreed with with the visual fuckedupness... its like if he was trying to remember her face.

That's exactly what
he was trying to do. He was stuck in a time void from Time Compression. The effects are that it reacts and shapes into your emotions and memories. Which is why the area gets smaller and darker by the end. When he's so hopeless and lost that there's nowhere else to go, he tries to remember all of his friends but he can't. By the end he basically loses it.

I really need to finish Digimon world 2 but I've been holding out hope that it, along with 1 & 3, get released on psn.

Fox Mulder

Was there a run on the jogcon and negcon controllers or something? There seemed to be a bunch before when I was looking to get one on ebay, and now the options don't look that great.

cj_iwakura

I tried to play some Umjammer Lammy on the Ps3. D:

That game is impossible with the resulting lag. Couldn't even pass the first stage.

IrishNinja

I tried to play some Umjammer Lammy on the Ps3. D:

That game is impossible with the resulting lag. Couldn't even pass the first stage.

i fuckin' knew it, i knew that shit wasn't just me! i was like "man this game was never this random about my score before", it was like parappa on PSP...fuggit, im hooking the PS2 back up.

Teknoman

i fuckin' knew it, i knew that shit wasn't just me! i was like "man this game was never this random about my score before", it was like parappa on PSP...fuggit, im hooking the PS2 back up.

Heh so the PSP Parappa has lag too? I always thought something was up...

Top Bottom