• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS1 Appreciation/Collectors Thread of Ugly-Ass Polygons

Personally I would just go for the 7501 model. It is the last US revision that had the parallel port on the back, and had modern things like the improved laser assembly and "sound scope". Go past that and might as well get the PSOne.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Personally I would just go for the 7501 model. It is the last US revision that had the parallel port on the back, and had modern things like the improved laser assembly and "sound scope". Go past that and might as well get the PSOne.

Was there really a model that had the parallel port and sound scope? Could have sworn they were taken out/added at the same time, but perhaps not.

Was there really a model that had the parallel port and sound scope? Could have sworn they were taken out/added at the same time, but perhaps not.

As far as I remember, the 7XXX series had both. The 9XXX series after that took away the parallel port, but gained a better cd rom drive that carried over to the PSOne.

Zing

Banned
The reason you think its so great is because the "audiophile" community is very prone to superstition and rumors. It's hard to debunk these things. One person says it, another takes it as fact and he says it, another person takes that as fact, and so on.
Are you implying that drawing with green marker on the data side of my audio CDs doesn't make them sound better??? My whole world is coming apart…

Yes, soundscope was added with the 7001 model. This was the first model bundled with the Dual Shock controller. Parallel was removed with 9001.

Zing

Banned
I was actually considering that one. I bought a bundle of three Looney Tunes games, and Looney Tunes Racing was one of them. My daughter and I had some fun with it, but it felt like a ghetto Mario Kart. The tracks are okay, but the items are extremely lame, and the game doesn't seem well designed for just two players. It also doesn't allow two humans to race against computers.

Speaking of those games, we tried Bugs & Taz Time Busters and ended up paying through the whole first level to 100% completion. The controls are a little janky, but otherwise it was fun. I recommend it.

I also started playing Bugs Bunny Lost in Time and it is great. The cutscenes are well done, the music is fitting, and the graphics are spot on. I actually find the game to play better overall and more fun than Time Busters despite the latter game garnering better reviews. The level design is much better and collecting a handful of carrots is more simple than collecting hundreds of gears. I also like how the game has no lives. If you die, you just restart at the most recent checkpoint with all progress intact. This is how Mario games should handle things. To think this random Looney Tunes game from thirteen years ago handles dying better than the most recent Mario game three video game generations later.

Any fans of the Spryo games should at least pick up Lost in Time, if not both games.

Found these at a local store yesterday. Slowly finding a lot of the stuff that I've left out of my collection. I've also been hitting up eBay to find the last 10 or so games to finish up my complete PS1 RPG collection. Luckily, I've already picked up most of the super expensive games so the only ones I need are in the $2-3 range!

#211 - Tecmo's Deception: Invitation to Darkness
#212 - Deception III: Dark Delusion

1KeP7kll.jpg

Zing

Banned
I hadn't bought any PlayStation games for quite a while. I recently went on a buying spree and so far, three out of three games (each from different sellers) has reeked of cigarette smoke. Anyone else find this to be common. My entire PS1, NES, and SNES collection to date hasn't had a single item smell like smoke. Maybe I am just thinking too much into this. Maybe we are reaching the bottom of the barrel in terms of remaining quality of stock on the market.

I hadn't bought any PlayStation games for quite a while. I recently went on a buying spree and so far, three out of three games (each from different sellers) has reeked of cigarette smoke. Anyone else find this to be common. My entire PS1, NES, and SNES collection to date hasn't had a single item smell like smoke. Maybe I am just thinking too much into this. Maybe we are reaching the bottom of the barrel in terms of remaining quality of stock on the market.

Actually now that I think about it, the last game I bought online that had a smoke smell was when I bought Persona 2 back in 2008. Boy, it was RANK, but the manual suffered the most. I used so many dryer sheets to try to get rid of that smell!

I haven't received anything else lately with the problem, though, so who knows.

5amshift

Banned
PS1 NTSC/JP collector here and definitely looking to build my collection more. I have a few prize pieces, and some rare games I got for cheap, basically needing the common games.

been a while, but IIRC there's no actual "co-op". As far as multiplayer modes, there's the regular races both single track and championship style and I don't believe you can have teams for either. And then there's battle mode with its own mode-specific stages which are more like arenas where you basically just drive around and try to blow each other up with the weapons you allow to be spawned through crates. Again, I don't think you can set up teams.

How are those deception games anyway?

They're super fun because they all revolve around setting traps instead of actually directly attacking your enemies. They're also really innovative games, but they suffer from some really weird design choices, but I guess that's inevitable considering the game is a mixture of strategy, RPG, action, and first person 3D. I will say, however, that the games really excel at creating a astonishingly unique atmosphere that you don't really get nowadays. If you are new to the series, I'd really recommend Trapt for the PS2 (which is actually the 4th game in the Deception series). Lots of fun killing and murder to be had, haha.

There's a fantastic article on the series over at Hardcore Gaming 101.

Anyways, took a trip an hour out of town and found this at a store. Happy to finally mark this one off my list. Now to find the PS2 sequel.

#213 - Echo Night

oDq1odxl.jpg

Borman

First new PS1 title in a few months, 2.99 at a local store. They had a few other big box games that Ive passed on for now. Just some sticker residue on it, but the contents are awesome.

Jz2nNKf.jpg

Found these at a local store yesterday. Slowly finding a lot of the stuff that I've left out of my collection. I've also been hitting up eBay to find the last 10 or so games to finish up my complete PS1 RPG collection. Luckily, I've already picked up most of the super expensive games so the only ones I need are in the $2-3 range!

#211 - Tecmo's Deception: Invitation to Darkness
#212 - Deception III: Dark Delusion

1KeP7kll.jpg
What are the last 10 you need?

baphomet

Picked up 2 guncons, an adapter to be able to use them while still running the system in rgb, and point blank 1-3.

Shit it so much fun!

Zing

Banned
I was looking at some of my game cases today. I don't know how some of these games sold anything based on the rear cover. Most just show two or three tiny screenshots of nondescript events. Maybe crosshairs aiming at something, or a minuscule player model walking down a street. The text is usually meaningless. The game cases may as well have blank backs.

I found it odd how the Spiderman game appears to have an ad for itself on the inside cover. Another game is actually advertising the PS2. The Tomb Raider manuals for every game but the first really shows how much they were trying to milk that one. Virtually half of each manual is a combination of ads for merchandise, comic books, other games, and strategy guides.

What are the last 10 you need?

Well, it turns out that I forgot three that I thought I had when I looked at the list (and they happened to be expensive ones gahh). I'm missing:

Tactics Ogre, Dragon Seeds, Diablo, Jade Cocoon, Granstream Saga, Battle Hunter, Legacy of Kain, Shadow Madness, Shadow Tower, and Torneko.

Those first three (maybe four) will be a pain to get for cheap, but I'll keep trucking on.

Teknoman

I've been looking for Jade for awhile myself. Just got it for 21 shipped complete, so that seemed fair. Had no idea Studio Ghibli had anything to do with the game, but now that I look at the art, I can see it.

I played Dragon Seeds once back then during the whole Monster Rancher / Pokemon / battle craze...all I remember was something about memory card saves, DNA, and awesome music.

Was it actually any good? Hope so, because this Training Room music was and still is unbelievably awesome, and about the only thing I remember OST wise.

All brand new except kings field 2! :)

Talk about some quality games! Mega Man 8 is my personal favorite out of the original series.

I've been looking for Jade for awhile myself. Just got it for 21 shipped complete, so that seemed fair. Had no idea Studio Ghibli had anything to do with the game, but now that I look at the art, I can see it.

I played Dragon Seeds once back then during the whole Monster Rancher / Pokemon / battle craze...all I remember was something about memory card saves, DNA, and awesome music.

Was it actually any good? Hope so, because this Training Room music was and still is unbelievably awesome, and about the only thing I remember OST wise.

I had no clue about the Ghibli involvement, either! :O

...also, I've literally looped that song for the past two days, haa.

Yuterald

Klonoa: PS1 or Wii?

Both. You really can't go wrong with either. Klonoa is one of my favorite games of all time. I prefer the original, but the remake is just as good, better in some respects (although it is a bit easier). If you go with the Wii version, however, DO NOT play the game with human/English voice acting. Play the game with its default, gibberish language.

I love the Deception Series on PSX! These games are the shit! Also look for Kagero: Deception 2 (PSX) and TRAPT (PS2).

I've got Trapt, but I'm still looking for a cheap copy of Kagero. I played through a bit of Trapt last summer, actually; I really enjoyed it.

Anyways, had some eBay stuff come in today. :D

#214 - Eternal Eyes
#215 - Cowboy Bebop

PJbr96sl.jpg

kaiju

Latest arrivals. A seller included the Shadow Master comic with the game which I thought was pretty cool, looks like it was something you had to mail away for when it initially came out. Never played any of these before, so excited to check them out:

ps1005_zps71542e0a.jpg

ps1003_zps1bbce36c.jpg

ps1006_zps915e7c67.jpg

ps1007_zps26deb2fe.jpg

Zing

Banned
I'm trying to get into Gran Turismo for the first time, but it's as though the game is not realistic enough. A sort of uncanny valley effect. The handling and such feels great, but the fact that I can just bounce off of other cars without even being slowed down breaks the immersion. Also, the AI seems rather poor. They follow some sort of scripted path around the track while I just scoot and bang my way past them.

I tried Carnage Heart yesterday. I read the manuals and watched the tutorial disc. Yes, the game is so complicated that it comes with a standalone tutorial disc with instructional videos! This game is nuts.

I finished Incredible Crisis in two days. I think my overall ranking is B. I'm not sure if its worth trying to do better. I'll play through it again in a few weeks and see how I do.

I'm currently playing Crash Team Racing, trying to get the last few gems and relics. My daughter is on vacation this week, otherwise she would be p laying it with me. We also play Crash Bash, but it's starting to get difficult for her.

Apocalypse is another great game that is new to me. I highly recommend it to any action game fan.

AwRy108

Today is my lucky day. Walking around a local thrift store, and guess what i run into in the home appliances section:

Lunar 2 complete in the box...perfect shape...just sitting there. Couldnt believe it! 14 bucks too. Missing something that went in a black bag, but all the discs and manual are in great shape.

Wow, awesome find! I need to start poking around thrift stores more often...

IrishNinja

damn, ya'll are picking up interesting looking titles i never heard of, please post impressions!
bums me out that every single PS1 lot i come across on craigslist is that usual shit you don't wanna revisit (licensed game shows/movies etc)

Mlatador

Banned
Been a PS1 collector for a long time and always wanted one of these. Saw a copy in great condition and couldn't pass it up:

TdHlSnD.jpg

bmEUGYw.jpg

Awesome LE. I got that (went straight for the LE when I bought the game). I think I lost the shirt, though. Was wearing it to much back then... Now I can't find it anymore, lol.

Myriadis

I'm currently discovering PS1 games and the newest game I bought was:
grandiahjsn2.jpg

Grandia.
My impressions after 4 hours so far (I'm currently on the ship to the new world): Pretty good! The soundtrack is really good, the battle system and the weapon-based skillsystem is quite fun, the spritework is excellent, I personally like the characters and the humor that the game has and I just love it how much dialogue this game has. There are often 3 different responses for each character, and almost everyone gets a new set of them after just minor events. That allows for some nice little sidestories.
It's a shame that there doesn't seem to be a real worldmap - there's just a static image where you choose where to go next - and the loading times are often quite long, even for battles (although it's not as bad as in Suikoden V). And the voice acting is absolutely awful.
But otherwise, I really like it and will continue playing.

Currently, I have
Vagrant Story
Spyro 2
Tomb Raider
Heart of Darkness
Metal Gear Solid
Grandia

The PS1 is often mentioned as a goldmine for jRPGs but I didn't find many that got good userratings. I know Final Fantasy VII-IX, Vagrant Story (a bit disappointed tbh), the Suikoden games, Dragon Quest and Wild Arms, but otherwise?

mattp

final fantasy 7-9 + tactics
breath of fire 3 & 4
suikoden 1 & 2
vagrant story
legend of mana
grandia
wild arms 1
xenogears
front mission 3
lunar 1 & 2
chrono cross
valkyrie profile
arc the lad collection
brave fencer musashi

Myriadis

final fantasy 7-9 + tactics
breath of fire 3 & 4
suikoden 1 & 2
vagrant story
legend of mana
grandia
wild arms 1
xenogears
front mission 3
lunar 1 & 2
chrono cross
valkyrie profile
arc the lad collection
brave fencer musashi

Thanks, will take a look.

ScOULaris

The PS1 is often mentioned as a goldmine for jRPGs but I didn't find many that got good userratings. I know Final Fantasy VII-IX, Vagrant Story (a bit disappointed tbh), the Suikoden games, Dragon Quest and Wild Arms, but otherwise?

PS1 has hands-down the greatest JRPG library in gaming history. Bar none.

That being said, if you were disappointed by Vagrant Story I don't know what you'll like.

Top Bottom